post #361 of 3254 Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

Hi Waho

Works perfect for me..never had a problem with that. It doesnt matter what generator you have, just make sure to hit the camera in the areas for greyscale, primary, secondary, and I get the popup screen for the pattern they request

there is a popup screen - but always with the same message:
"display the color to measure then click ok."

so if doing for instance a green saturation scale, i got always this same message.
it's not a big problem - it would be just more convenient to get a message like during gray scale...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3254 Old 11-29-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
weird..I dont get that and I have the latest which I think is on page 10

Mine says..Red, then Green, Blue..for Primary
for Secondary, yellow, cyan, majenta..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #363 of 3254 Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

here is my latest and greatest results..whatcha think..btw..as mentioned at 30IRE I had to point my sensor to the projector..

calibration4_Mits3000U.zip 1.2080078125k . file

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #364 of 3254 Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Richlo, I notice a few things.

If you click on the probe info, you have LCD selected. Below that is "Proj".
Maybe try "Proj" as source rather than LCD.

Try adding more sampling time, it is on default read time of 300 ms, The near black readings do take a long time, If too short they may be getting discarded, hence the need to to turn the probe around.

The values themselves seem very low aswell. My DIY sensor has values of about 60 at 20IRE where you have 1, reversed. My probe was about 1metre away from the screen.
Just try setting the probe distance from the screen quite close but looking at a non probe shaded area, it will be off axis at close range but you need to get values first to work with. By turning or moving the probe you are wasting your time, any values need to be redone if the probe moves.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
post #365 of 3254 Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard that using LCD is the way to go because both use BULBS but nevertheless I will try that..

I was a little confused about what you meant about sensor values, so I went back and changed the display to sensor..I see what you mean..but are you also calibrating a DLP FP off a screen, or is it a rear projector type of tv, those will I assume be highersensor values because your basically putting it right on the strength of the light..

My probe is angled up and very very close to the screen and away from the shaded area (definitely off axis).

I will try a higher sampling time..that makes alot of sense, I thought selecting EXTEND READ TIME ON DARK MEASUREMENT will handle that already..I will keep that selected and extend the read time..

Right now..I am actually very content for a novice to get where I am..the picture is spectacular..and Im off the next 5 days..so I will play some more..

Thanks Smokey..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #366 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 AM

I've been playing around with the HCFR software. I'ts not obvious to me where the gamma for my greyscale is indicated - any suggestions? Also, I've run the software on a B&W CRT reference monitor. The Spyder2 is a bit off for the entire GS. Is there a "meter offset/correction" anywhere?
Thanks!
Dan
post #367 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Dan

after your greyscale test results you should be able to look above where the readings are for the AVERAGE, just above your results for 0IRE-20IRE..make sure you have downloaded the latest firmware which i think is on page 10 here, it was not there on the original release.

Also, you need to click on the icon called: luminance histogram - this is your gamma tracking, then you can right click your mouse and change the patterns or add to it for more info..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #368 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Hi Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by <^..^>Smokey Joe View Post

The values themselves seem very low aswell. My DIY sensor has values of about 60 at 20IRE where you have 1, reversed. My probe was about 1metre away from the screen.

Do not worry about Sensor values when using Spyder II or DTP-94. Sensor values, with those two probes, are directly XYZ values. In "sensor value" mode, they appear rounded to integers, so it has no meaning (only zeros and ones ). Sensor values are only useful with HCFR probe, which returns integer values which are turned into XYZ values through a conversion matrix.

Regards
Georges
post #369 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks George...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #370 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a little worried that the HCFR boys have been working a little too hard For those who haven't tried the French Help file on their site , check out this area where it says "page en construction"...

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/Colorimetre/WebHelp/

...and click on "Installation"...

That's the saddest gif I've ever seen

On another note , do we have to perform any "Calibration" of the Spyder2 before we start taking measurements ?

Thanks in advance ,

Scott.......................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #371 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 03:12 PM

hehe, that gif is a classic!

Regarding calibration of the spyder2. If you have the possibility to measure it against a sensor that you know it is correct it is of course a big plus. Note that this is not specific to Color HCFR. It's regardless of software used.

// Lyckman
post #372 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Hello,
Question regarding the Spyder...are you using the spyder2 colorimeter that is used for computer monitor calibrations, or, the spyder TV colorimeter that comes with the TV calibration products?

TIA
bnw
post #373 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

actually both are the same colorimeter, its the software that is different

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #374 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyckman View Post

hehe, that gif is a classic!

Regarding calibration of the spyder2. If you have the possibility to measure it against a sensor that you know it is correct it is of course a big plus. Note that this is not specific to Color HCFR. It's regardless of software used.

// Lyckman

If we could measure it against another sensor , that was known to be accurate or traceable , how and where could we adjust or tweak the sensor file for HCFR ?

Scott.......................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #375 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

good question..

I just used the calibration wizard with my Spyder 2express to calibrate my computer monitor, then when it was complete, I decided to run HCFR to see how ACCURATE that was (used VIEW IMAGES)..Id say its pretty darn accurate my spyder after the HCFR results came back

Not sure if this is a good way to tell or not..but I was pretty impress by it..

laptop.zip 0.8310546875k . file

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #376 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM

I have read a few post that the spyder2 sensor is not well suited for DLP displays.
Has anyone performed calibration on DLP using HCFR and spyder2?

Bruce
post #377 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Look at my post of my Mits3000U just above..that is a FP DLP..seems to me it works and the results look fantastic..top of this page

where the issue is at the very low end of the IRE that it may struggle

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #378 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW.>

for the HCFR folks -

For some reason the latest firmware, I keep having issue with 30IRE when reading, it reads 0,10,20 at a slower read, then when 30IRE request comes up I put my pattern, and within 2 seconds it ask for 40IRE, then it slows down from 40IRE and up..only with 30IRE its almost instantaneous right to 40IRE..Im still getting a read on it but that seems a bit odd. I tried it using my FProjector DLP setup and then I did it on a Rear Projector CRT, same deal..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #379 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 PM

I can't read the dvd in my dvd player. i tried to convert it but now i have 3 dvds in pal format. anyone know how to convert it so i can read it in my old toshiba?
post #380 of 3254 Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure about converting the dvd itself, but some dvd players have known hacks to accept ALL REGIONS.

You should probably purchase either AVIA, DVE, Getgrey, sounds and vision, Monster/ISF calibration disk, - one of these will solve your problem.

Getgrey you can purchase for I think $25.00 and download it, burn it then...they will give you all the info you need to burn it.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #381 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually, I just got GetGrey but it doesn't use IRE values, instead it uses the more standard % values, which most calibration discs and calibration software use. Avia has IRE values but it contains slight errors in its RGB values, which has been discussed on other threads.

With that being said, I wanted to know if the HCFR team plans to support % grayscale values at some point.
post #382 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 AM

Hi,

Apologies for what is probably a very silly question to many here, but is it possible to use the free HD-DVD test patterns available on the other thread to calibrate my projector using a Spyder2 along with my Toshiba HD-A1, or do I need to use one of the SD pattern discs ? - I am keen to calibrate with an actual HD pattern source...

Thanks,
-rf
post #383 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Actually, I just got GetGrey but it doesn't use IRE values, instead it uses the more standard % values, which most calibration discs and calibration software use. Avia has IRE values but it contains slight errors in its RGB values, which has been discussed on other threads.

With that being said, I wanted to know if the HCFR team plans to support % grayscale values at some point.

Glad I never got the DVD then ..I guess I just figured it did..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #384 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

One question I do have

When selecting under Preferences for RGB levels for NTSC

Do I select for RGB levels:
0-255
or
16-235

Right now by default, I have 0-255

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #385 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 AM

I've been told (by several pro calibrators) that the use of the SPyder2 on DLP displays is a highly qualified "possibly". For most older DLPs, the Spyder2 should be OK. For NEW LED-based DLPs (ie., Sammy 5679), most of the filter-based probes are possibly inaccurate for color adjustment. Grey-scale MAY be OK - adjusting primaries and secondaries with Spyder2 is NOT recommended. That being said, I've not seen anybody who has done the correct test - calibrate the LED DLP with a spectrophotometer, then re-read greyscale and color(s) with the Spyder and document differences.

There have been a couple of threads concerning accuracy of the Spyder. I know my Spyder has slight inaccuracies (but significant enough to alter calibration settings) based on my readings of a B&W D65 Sony CRT reference monitor. I'd like to be able to correct my readings in the HCFR software to adjust for the inacuracy (meter offset) but I don't see this option. Is there a spot for this? It would REALLY be nice to be able to have a "correction" cell for EACH measured IRE...

Dan
post #386 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 AM

Hi richlo

Unfortunately, I can't answer. Those RGB levels are totally independent from NTSC standard. They deal only with "Display images" generator. Usually, you should stay in 0-255 scale, except if you use your PC to calibrate an input normally used by a DVD player.

Regards
Georges
post #387 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One question I do have

When selecting under Preferences for RGB levels for NTSC

Do I select for RGB levels:
0-255
or
16-235

If you select 0-255 you are calibrating for PC levels, i.e. what is used for working on digital pictures, etc.

If you select 16-235 you are using video levels, i.e. the range that is used for DVD playback.
post #388 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Using % stimulus shouldn't matter for setting the greyscale correctly. All it means is that the points on the graph will be shifted horizontally since the % stimulus to IRE mapping is not exact.

It will probably make a difference in the gamma calculation that the tool generates though.
post #389 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

If you select 0-255 you are calibrating for PC levels, i.e. what is used for working on digital pictures, etc.

If you select 16-235 you are using video levels, i.e. the range that is used for DVD playback.

so in effect, this will mean that right now leaving at 0-255 will give me incorrect readings?? man, here we go again, time to go over my calibration..

oop..never mind..this would be for DISPLAY IMAGES only..correct??

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #390 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so in effect, this will mean that right now leaving at 0-255 will give me incorrect readings?? man, here we go again, time to go over my calibration..

Not so much a matter of incorrect readings, but incorrect settings.

For video playback anything below digital 16 = reference black = 0% stimulus should be off. By setting your range to 0-255, digital 16 isn't black it's very dark grey which means your overall image will be too bright for movies. However it will be fine for pictures, etc.

Don't forget that calibration is an N-step, iterative process. You need to set brightness/contrast first, measure greyscale and colour and make adjustments, then re-check and perhaps adjust brightness and contrast, etc.

It's possible to have perfect greyscale, but with incorrect levels.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page