Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3254 Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

I selected LCD, which is my default for my HCFR setting...and is an LCD (laptop)..I think the spyder does work - but as stated I want the DTP-94 sensor which is a better sensor, and I will compare it then to see what is coming up...

I'm looking forward to your findings.

Quote:

...btw..your results look just like mine..although mine had some weird Gamma issue, I redid it and it came out just like yours...its pretty impressive to me..Mine was actually flat from10IRE all the way to the end..

What this means is that, at least for display calibration (plasma, LCD, CRT), the HCFR-Spyder2 combo is just perfect (very accurate). BTW would the offset information be denied for a free soft like HCFR? Because I suppose SpyderTVPRO should be using same kind of offsets too, don't you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3254 Old 12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laric View Post

Sure you can, you have to burn our DVD image (PAL) and then chose "DVD Manual" as source generator...

--Patrice

I prefer this as it is fine tuned to the software..instead of going back and forth looking for primaries, secondaries..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #453 of 3254 Old 12-04-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper View Post

I'm looking forward to your findings.

What this means is that, at least for display calibration (plasma, LCD, CRT), the HCFR-Spyder2 combo is just perfect (very accurate). BTW would the offset information be denied for a free soft like HCFR? Because I suppose SpyderTVPRO should be using same kind of offsets too, don't you think?

I am still not sold on the spyder with Rear Proj CRT, each time I do it on mine (which was professionally calibrated a few years ago), it seems a bit too red or something doesnt seem right, for LCD (seems to work for front and rear), DLPs (front or rear), Plasmas, spyder/HCFR combo works, but the CRT that spyder lets you select is for DIRECT VIEW CRT and not RPCRT, so I think although I can track a good greyscale and gamma tracking, I dont think its accurate for RPCRTs...and Ive played enough with it and still not content, hence my purchase of the DTP-94. I am sure that colorvision will have some kind of offset to offer, especially when it stuggles at times on the low-end...If only I could build the HCFR sensor, if you go to their forum and see the results, its impressive that they are able to read down to 10IRE.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #454 of 3254 Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM

Ok guys. i have been following this thread from the very beginning and i would really like to know before i attempt to calibrate my Sony LCD RPTV, is the Spyder2 going to give me close to accurate results or am i going to be wasting 3 or 4 hours? I see that there are so many mixed results here. I would love to see someone who has access with a more known accurate colorimeter than the Spyder do a real in-depth comparison.

Thanks guys.
Carmine.
post #455 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Only 3~4 hours , the hours will wizz by. So far I have been twiddling on 2 different PC's and a projector for days and days, weeks and weeks.
I'm afraid this is because it is all user adjusted for results and we have to learn what does what. There is no simple way but to twiddle and see what it does.

The spyder will be plently accurate enough for you at this stage I'd say.

Just remember if it all goes wrong(as it has for me) reset to defaults and start again.

Dive in and give it a crack.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
post #456 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM

Rich,

would you let me know the Y measurements you got using the spyder pod on your CRT RPTV. I experienced similar red push during my CRT calibration, when capturing xyY data with Y sub 15. I am interested to know at what light levels, you start to get this red push.
post #457 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I will post my results from the HCFR file that I have for it..I think I just have an issue of how to calibrate greyscale and may be clipping red...I am a novice at hand..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #458 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I am still not sold on the spyder with Rear Proj CRT, each time I do it on mine (which was professionally calibrated a few years ago), it seems a bit too red....

You are right, Spyder2 with HCFR tracks red too low, meaning that when you adjust greyscale it will end up too red. I double checked this w/ Calman. After calibrating my RP CRT with HCFR, I then ran Calman and red was too high.
post #459 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

You are right, Spyder2 with HCFR tracks red too low, meaning that when you adjust greyscale it will end up too red. I double checked this w/ Calman. After calibrating my RP CRT with HCFR, I then ran Calman and red was too high.

Interesting, I have never been happy with my Spyder2Pro. I have had several LCD projectors with a da-lite hi-power. After calibration images were always too red for me. From what I hear, the hi-power doesn't help either. Not sure which direction to go right now.
post #460 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

go either spyder with calman or get dtp-94(optix-xr) with HCFR..the safeway is to go calman since you have a spyder..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #461 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Richlo,
Aren't the last few posts all saying the the S2 probe is mis-reading low %stim, so that grayscale is not true D65k at low %stim? Why then the recommendation for s2, since it has this defect.

Best,
jeff
post #462 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge View Post

greeno, richlo:

I've been contemplating getting the Monaco Optix XR from Adorama (found it using Nextag) for about 108 shipped.

Anyone dealt with Adorama before?

-George

getting mine tomorrow..UPS notification from them today..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #463 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Richlo,
Aren't the last few posts all saying the the S2 probe is mis-reading low %stim, so that grayscale is not true D65k at low %stim? Why then the recommendation for s2, since it has this defect.

Best,
jeff

Most software such as Calman, has the offsets built in for probes they suport, such as the Spyder2. I am not sure if actually HCFR recommends the Spyder2, I think they put it out there because of the request to have this probe added, due in part because of its price point..The Spyder does work to certain extent, I think it maybe struggle from 30Ire down (an not necessarily 30IRE), where it works is from 40IRE and up. I like to use 30IRE and 80IRE for balancing my greyscale..

I hope there are some offsets built in later for it, but in seriousness, the HCFR was designed around their own probe..I hope they do end up supporting the sypder and adding offsets to correct this issue.

HCFR seriously recommends using the DTP-94 as the other probe.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #464 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Any confirmed results of how well the DTP-94 does with low IRE readings? I'd like to pick one up for myself but before i do i want to make sure it reads the lower IRE values better than my Spyder2 does.

Thanks guys.
Carmine.
post #465 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noizemaker View Post

Any confirmed results of how well the DTP-94 does with low IRE readings? I'd like to pick one up for myself but before i do i want to make sure it reads the lower IRE values better than my Spyder2 does.

Thanks guys.
Carmine.

go a couple of pages back and you will see a posted link with actual comparison

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #466 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Richlo,

It's not a defect. It's a software implementation issue when CRT is selected to calibrate RP/FP CRT. It works fine with LCD. I tested LCD mode and it's on track with Calman.
post #467 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Update
I tested LCD mode with filter "ON" on my RP CRT with HCFR and it's almost a carbon copy of Calman(RP CRT mode). I'd suggest those with "too red" problems to give it a shot.
post #468 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so for the time being:

CRT TV/monitor: filter OFF, CRT mode.
CRT RPTV: filter ON, LCD mode.
LCD TV/monitor: filter ON, LCD mode.

We should complete the list, I'm pretty sure those are really accurate.
post #469 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks HD Holic..I will give it a try..

Any of yous (chicago lingo) using 16-255 RGB levels insted of 0-255. I am, but when I do RGB for primaries I switch to 0-255 because I know something is not right when I leave it at 16-255 for reading primaries and secondaries..ITS WAY OFF

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #470 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I'll try my CRT TV next.
post #471 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks HD Holic..I will give it a try..

Any of yous (chicago lingo) using 16-255 RGB levels insted of 0-255. I am, but when I do RGB for primaries I switch to 0-255 because I know something is not right when I leave it at 16-255 for reading primaries and secondaries..ITS WAY OFF

I always use 16-235 since those are "video" levels. I get accurate readings that match Calman using the method I posted. I'd also suggest using window patterns, which has been discussed to give more accurate reading because of light output limitations.
post #472 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most software such as Calman, has the offsets built in for probes they suport, such as the Spyder2. I am not sure if actually HCFR recommends the Spyder2, I think they put it out there because of the request to have this probe added, due in part because of its price point..The Spyder does work to certain extent, I think it maybe struggle from 30Ire down (an not necessarily 30IRE), where it works is from 40IRE and up. I like to use 30IRE and 80IRE for balancing my greyscale..

I hope there are some offsets built in later for it, but in seriousness, the HCFR was designed around their own probe..I hope they do end up supporting the sypder and adding offsets to correct this issue.

Your perfectly got it...

I dunno what will be done in futur release, so far we have other stuff on-going, next release is quite massive improvement on software side (nothing new on probes except 30IRE bug sorted)

Quote:

HCFR seriously recommends using the DTP-94 as the other probe.

No, I don't think anyone in our team recommends any probes... Except our one, of course

BTW, we plan to support available probes as far as we can integrate them without too much assle... A new one will appear soon...

We have very good calibrators in team and they use various probes, I must say the Spyder is not the most used on projectors, but was it designed for this ?

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
post #473 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

I always use 16-235 since those are "video" levels. I get accurate readings that match Calman using the method I posted.

Do your read your primaries if you left it at 16-235?/ that is where I have a problem..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #474 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges G View Post

Hi Richlo

The DTP-94 is a very good probe, it works perfectly with ColorHCFR

Regards
Georges

Yell at George then..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #475 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

No, at least I don't take this as a recomendation ! do you ?
(George don't use a DTP94 )

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
post #476 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laric View Post

No, at least I don't take this as a recomendation ! do you ?
(George don't use a DTP94 )

--Patrice

Tell George to EXCUSE MY FRENCH... just kiddin..hahah..its still a better probe..

.that stinkin' George

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #477 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizemaker View Post

Ok guys. i have been following this thread from the very beginning and i would really like to know before i attempt to calibrate my Sony LCD RPTV, is the Spyder2 going to give me close to accurate results or am i going to be wasting 3 or 4 hours? I see that there are so many mixed results here. I would love to see someone who has access with a more known accurate colorimeter than the Spyder do a real in-depth comparison.

Thanks guys.
Carmine.

Carmine,

I used a Spyder2 probe with Calman on my Sony KDFE50A10 (last year's Grand Wega 5) to calibrate the grayscale.

My goal was to get a good B&W picture with no color tint.
I was very pleased with the results.

BTW, I spent 13 hours that day (my first time).

Of course, the day after I spent $100 on Calman, I stumbled across this thread for free calibration software. I would have given HCFR a shot first, then maybe spent the money on Calman if my results with HCFR were bad.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with both the Spyder2 and with Calman.

Bob
post #478 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper View Post

OK, so for the time being:

CRT TV/monitor: filter OFF, CRT mode.
CRT RPTV: filter ON, LCD mode.
LCD TV/monitor: filter ON, LCD mode.

We should complete the list, I'm pretty sure those are really accurate.

Yes, those seem to be correct based on test I've done. I should point out to use standard gamma option and not 2.2 as it has innacurate calculations when using with Sypder2.
post #479 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

getting mine tomorrow..UPS notification from them today..

I will be expecting a complete first hand user report Seriously, it would be interesting to see the results from the software included with the probe after calibrating your display with HCFR.
post #480 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
A question too anyone who might know, about the references, as what should you choose.

It seems, or appears these days with the global importation of goods there is a mix of hardware and what that hardware is referenced too.

I am in a PAL country, yet my calibration runs I have done are showing I need to select the NTSC(REC 601) for the CIE Triangle to fit, the next best is sRGB and HDTV(REC 709) falling together and then the PAL/Secam.

There is a concern in my head that the DVD player is outputing PAL, since it has only 2 selections, PAL60 or NTSC and I have to select PAL for my region or nothing will play. Then my projector is referenced to NTSC(REC601).

So far I have been screwing with the color/tint to best fit the triangle to the PAL/SECAM.

So the question is, do I just set my color/tint to defaults and select the best fit CIE Triangle that closely resembles my results, then adjust the color and tint from there?

This is a post discovery of my results of my projector and trying to make sense of them. For my PC's I have been using sRGB, I presume this is the correct one. ALthough then again, if a PC is the source for the projector, do I then select one of the other options?

I take it 0-255 for PC output only and 16-235 for TV and (DVD)movie?

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page