Samsung Calibration Failure - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 176 Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it seems that I did run the HDMI calibration after all while in the service menu. I made a 1920x1080 black and white checkerboard pattern as described in this thread, played the image on my DVD player, and re-ran the HDMI calibration. My LCD TV returned to it's original brightness and contrast levels.

A few things to point out here in my case:

1. My HDMI service menu calibration showed "success" at all times, I never saw failure even when the picture was dim.

2. My LCD TV appeared to have "normal" brightness and contrast on lower SD resolutions but was extremely dim on anything considered HDTV. This was for HDMI and for over the air HDTV on coax.

3. When running the HDMI calibration this also fixed the over the air HDTV brightness and contrast problem on rabbit ears and coax.

4. The HDMI calibration took nearly 30 seconds to complete the first time I ran it. Subsequent calibrations took less than 5 seconds.

You need to know a little bit on how to navigate the service menu. On my LNT-4669, the service menu operates as follows:

Enter Service Menu: With power off, press Mute-1-8-2-Power Button.
Up/Down Arrows - navigates the menu options.
Enter - selects a menu option.
Left/Right Arrows - adjusts the option value.
Menu - jumps up back level in the menus on each press until you reach the main menu.
Save - Mute-Mute-Power (not sure on this, I haven't tried to save yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 176 Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM

for anyone who havent figured it yet... this is the perfect solution! a digital camera is handy so you can take snapshots of the settings from cable or pc source.

if you have an input on both cable and hdmi... you can just press the source button and the tv will toggle between the sources while in the service menu.

cheers! and thanks a lot for all your help! i'll also try to post snapshots later for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangChi View Post

I didn't have a calibraton failure per se, but after upgrading firmware to 1037, I got the "green push" or tint. I though I fixed it in the service menu but it never really quite got fixe. I have a 4065f 1032/1008.

I tried many rememdies but it was a combination that put me back to picture perfection.

Switch inputs to cable. Power off and mute 182 on, go into service menu and write down white balance, and SVP-LX Offset, Gain, and Clock Settings.

Load the calibration patter in post #47. Switch input back to HDMI. Power off and mute 182 on and go to service menu and run HDMI calibration. If you're lucky, that's it, you'll have the factory quality picture back.

If like me, you picture is more whacked than before, that's OK. Some of your numbers are probably way off, like in the 6000s. Settings you can't or didn't touch have been calibrated, now go into White Balance and SVP-LX and enter the settings you noted from the cable input. For numbers in the thousands go up and it will jump to 0, if you go down it'll take forever. All should be like new again after that.

For my 1032/1008 board the proper settings are:

White Balance
Bright - 128
Contrast 128
All Offset and Gain settings 512

SVP-LX
Offsets R,G,& B = 62
Gains, R,G,&B =294
Clocks A=16, B=133,C=8

Thanks to everyone in this forum. It took a while and a combination of several solutions for me to get mine truly fixed but I wouldn't have been able to do it without AVS Forum. Thanks to zzzpt for the chart, though I'm not sure this is the one Samsung uses it did help me complete the calibration adn all I needed then was to adjust the above settings.

Even with the proper settigns above, without successfully completing a calibration with the chart, the picture was just never quite right.

post #63 of 176 Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is just another reason someone with no clue of what they are doing shouldn't be in the service menus of tv's, unless you know whats going on don't play with them period.
post #64 of 176 Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM

I had a problem of dead pixel with my TV LNT4061fx. I got my panel changed, but since I didn't got the same high quality of the picture than before, the tech came back and went into the service menu calibration and you konw what? He messed up! The picture turned red and he didnt know how to fix it. I now have much worse quality of the picture. When I point this out, He said that the probleme is the main bord and that I have to change it too. I don't know if he is right. since my first replacement with the panel didn't went as good as excpected, I am afraid to change the main board too. Any Ideas? Please help me what should I do?
post #65 of 176 Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Was wondering, if you jacked up your calibration settings but corrected it with AVIA or copying settings, etc... was the colors the only thing affected or is sharpness, Dnie, contrast, etc... affected as well?

- Barry
post #66 of 176 Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

If you correct it with copying settings, then all should be ok.
If you correct it with running calibration on the correct image, then all should be ok.

Its easy to see if you still have an HDMI calibration issue by changing contrast, and it will make dramatic changes every 10 clicks, rather than 1 smooth change over the 100 clicks.
post #67 of 176 Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM

It seems to me that the main problem is the color. But since it's all red and dark I can't really tell...
post #68 of 176 Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM

I need to calibrate my Cable TV with a checkerboard. Can't seem to find a way. Is there a way to get rid of this blue-green tint film over my TV?
post #69 of 176 Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Just screwed with the service menu and accidentally pushed the left arrow over the HDMI calibration option and my screen turned a blue tint with a "failure" message. Came here and tried the pattern that was posted earlier in the thread (displayed it through my PS3 with HDMI) and my TV appears to be back to normal with a successful HDMI calibration. I'm assuming all it does is identify true white and true black (via the checkerboard pattern) and set itself based on that. Try the pattern yourself before paying Samsung an arm and a leg to fix your screw up.
post #70 of 176 Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 PM

I have problem with HDMI calibration on LN52A550. I try 8x8 and 4x4 but it don't work. Please help me because now ALL HDMI inputs is too dark and i don't know how restore it.

Dmitriy
post #71 of 176 Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the calibration pattern!

When I entered the service menu's I was looking for calibration adjustments and I never suspected that calibration would not contain a submenu with settings...

post #72 of 176 Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Anyone here have a LN*A450 series and are willing to write down their factory defaults?

I screwed mine on auto calibrate for video (which I think is the RF input - at least that is what was displayed while it tried to calibrate).

I have the AVIA II disc, but want to try a manual fix first.

Willing to deal to get this - make me an offer.

Thanks!
M99
post #73 of 176 Old 10-16-2008, 02:23 PM

accidentally hit calibrate when connected to directv receiver in 720p mode on hdmi2/dvi input and now the hdmi menu item says failed. But when i turned the tv off and then on again all the colors were normal again except that i had to put all the settings back the way i liked them

tried using an 8x8 chess pattern in 720p@60hz from my ps3 and it still failed. also colors were messed up until i turned off and on again. I did this as per instructions in the a650 service manual. I only assumed that these sets were similar enough that the procedure would be the same.

this is what i'm thinking and correct me if i'm wrong. Since every time i hit the calibrate option it failed, only the fail flag was set and the settings themselves were not changed from factory. Only in the case of success would new settings be written. this only seems logical and its based on the fact that the colors would be messed up after a failed attempt but would "reset" after i turned the tv off and on again
post #74 of 176 Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM

i used a bmp of a chessboard pattern viewing it with the photo viewer and forced 720p in the display settings on the ps3

does the number of squares and their positions matter?

also when its calibrating a little square appears in the center area of the screen which is why i ask if the exact pattern matters

tried this with all hdmi inputs and all failed

the other three calibration items showed success and i never touched them in the first place

i would like to avoid a service call if possible. if only the flag is set and not the actual settings i would be happy but i want to know for sure
post #75 of 176 Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Hey everyone. I have also accidently hit the HDMI calibration on my tv, LN46A750. I did not however get a failure message on my set. The only thing plugged in at the time was my Cable STB but it was not turned on. It was displaying the channel I last watched but the box was not on. The picture seems to be fine but I am a bit worried that I did screw something up. Should I be looking for contrast issues and color issues? Will updating to the newest firmware fix this?

If anyone can please help it will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
post #76 of 176 Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 PM

I have the Samsung 42Q7h and I am not completely satisfied with my picture quality to dark etc.

I was just thinking the following.

The factory calibration is done with a pattern from a source wich is different from the one I use. Would performing a recalibration with my own device give me a better result.

I use for example a xbox360 on my comp input, the 360 wont let me change any settings concerning brightness, contrast etc. I believe its output is to hot. So if i run the pattern from my 360 the tv would calibrate based ont that hot output and adjust it.

Same for my HDMI wich is feeded by my Tvix 6500.

Both inputs run trough my Marantz sr4001 to the tv.

Is this true or am i completely of here?

Some input please.

BTW the pattern they advice in the service manual is a different pattern from the one shown here.

Link :http://www.scribd.com/doc/2928513/Sa...Plasma-Display
post #77 of 176 Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix99989 View Post

Anyone here have a LN*A450 series and are willing to write down their factory defaults?

I screwed mine on auto calibrate for video (which I think is the RF input - at least that is what was displayed while it tried to calibrate).

I have the AVIA II disc, but want to try a manual fix first.

Willing to deal to get this - make me an offer.

Thanks!
M99

look at the attachments on the link, it might get you close.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10184952
post #78 of 176 Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Hi,

I have a Samsung 4061 and stuck with AV calibration failure. I tried checkerboard pattern using ANT1 input but it did not work. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

I notice some people use Wii or PS2. Does that mean I need to use AV1 or AV2 for calibration?

thanks,

Victor
post #79 of 176 Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin View Post

Hi,

I have a Samsung 4061 and stuck with AV calibration failure. I tried checkerboard pattern using ANT1 input but it did not work. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

I notice some people use Wii or PS2. Does that mean I need to use AV1 or AV2 for calibration?

thanks,

Victor

For the analog inputs you need to use NTSC color bar pattern. I just did this on a 450 series and it passes the calibration in seconds. I actually used the one on the AVIA disc with the black square on the lower left.

I would guess this pattern would also work: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Color_Bars.svg
post #80 of 176 Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 AM

okay, i did the hdmi calibration on accident, and it made everything that was high definition have a green tint on it.
so i ran the checkerboard test pattern, it fixed the green tint on the dynamic setting, but when i put it in movie or standard, it just makes the picture even greener. when i change the contrast in the regular menu, it just goes through different colors. anyone know how to fix the contrast issues in different modes?
post #81 of 176 Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM

I went into the service menu saw a log failure option and pressed it seems there was nothing under it and all the inputs said success next to them (in log submenu).

Then I looked at the fonts.

After that I powered down the tv and when powered up some things changed.

First of all all the user settings were gone. So I reset them.

I am seeing a lot of motion blurr that I did not see before and the picture changed as well, seems grainier.

I didnt think I changed anything doing as described above. Does just going into the menu do this?

How can I fix it. would hiring a isf tv calibrator work. Or would he not know how to reset this?
post #82 of 176 Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM

I also accidentally pressed the "AV Calibration" option in the "Calibration" submenu, and now I 've got a "Failure" too. I hadn't any source connected and on, so the screen was all black when I did this.

Did this affected the picture quality I am getting?

If it is not, then I have no problem if it just says the word "Failure" instead of the word "Success" in the obscure service menu.

If it affected something, tell me what this was please
post #83 of 176 Old 01-25-2009, 02:02 PM

I did this too (stupid), I was unable to use the patterns posted here, but a pattern on the AVCHD disc available here on my PS3 fixed my HDMI, guess it had to be 1920x1080, black checker box first in top left hand corner. I'm assuming I can fix the comp as well, and maybe AV using the PS3 analog cables, but what about TV? i dont have any devices with an RF connector and there is no option for DTV (ATSC), any ideas?

BTW, there are patterns built into the TV, including a checkerboard pattern and the color bars for the NTSC low def sources under FRCM called patt-before and patt-after, click right on the remote dpad to scroll through 6 different patterns on each, 12 in total. But I can't use these AND go into the ADC menu to calibrate using these images to get a "success".

So far I have gotten HDMI "success" and it looks great, but would like help getting TV (cable?) to display success, it is a bit off I think... And if I could find a way to display the patterns, would I use the NTSC color bars? I just have low def cable TV, and does HDMI "success" really calibrate the ATSC DTV tuner too? There isn't an option in the ADC calibration menu for ATSC.

Thanks in advance.
post #84 of 176 Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero HD View Post

I did this too (stupid), I was unable to use the patterns posted here, but a pattern on the AVCHD disc available here on my PS3 fixed my HDMI, guess it had to be 1920x1080, black checker box first in top left hand corner. I'm assuming I can fix the comp as well, and maybe AV using the PS3 analog cables, but what about TV? i dont have any devices with an RF connector and there is no option for DTV (ATSC), any ideas?

BTW, there are patterns built into the TV, including a checkerboard pattern and the color bars for the NTSC low def sources under FRCM called patt-before and patt-after, click right on the remote dpad to scroll through 6 different patterns on each, 12 in total. But I can't use these AND go into the ADC menu to calibrate using these images to get a "success".

So far I have gotten HDMI "success" and it looks great, but would like help getting TV (cable?) to display success, it is a bit off I think... And if I could find a way to display the patterns, would I use the NTSC color bars? I just have low def cable TV, and does HDMI "success" really calibrate the ATSC DTV tuner too? There isn't an option in the ADC calibration menu for ATSC.

Thanks in advance.

How about using one of the RF modulators that people use for hooking up their DVD players to TVs that have only tuners? You could feed it a composite signal from your PS3.
post #85 of 176 Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM

am using a a650 samsung,

i did this stupid mistake by mistake i didn't even want to click anything except return but big fingers do wonders!!!!

anyways i've been trying to run the test again but i can't as in it does not run the calibration procedure again. it's stuck on failure. anyone knows what should i press to make it run the procedure ?

i really don't want to call samsung over this.

forgot to say it's the HDMI one.
post #86 of 176 Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM

I found this somewhere...

- DISCLAIMER -

Before you proceed with the recalibration (or thinking about recalibrating your perfectly working F71) record ALL - i repeat ALL - your setting is the service menu - It is VITAL you do so in case something bad happens and you need to go back, the settings are made in the factory and is unique to your tv, onse you loose them there is no way to get them back.

SO DONT BLAME ME IF IT GOES WRONG.

- DISCLAIMER -

A while ago while fiddeling with the service menu i unfortuneatly activated the recalibration of the HDMI 1 port, it did not totaly mess up my F71 but it bugged me alot as it reported a Failure.

Here is what i did to remedy the failure:

1 : set your resolution to 1080p (60 or 30hz)
2 : download this checkerboard image
8x8bwcheck.zip
it is 1920x1080 monocrome (black and white), its zipped so unzip it.
it consists of 8x8 fields starting in the top left corner with a white sqare
3 : view the image
DONT use microsofts image viewer , it sux ;
download irfanview and view the picture FULLSCREEN !!!!!!
get it here : http://www.irfanview.com/
4 : turn the tv off
5 : press info,menu,mute,power
6 : be absoluteley sure you are in the port you need to calibrate
7 : go into the calibration menu, select HDMI and press right on the remote.
8 : wait (mine took about 10 seconds)
9 : now it should say success !!!!
10 : go back into the main service menu
11 : select reset...

and youre done, remember to take a note of the new settings
Here is mine if you are interested :
Quote:
Service menu before recalib (HDMI 1 FAILURE) - BOLD is changes AFTER
successfull calibration
HDMI 1
Option Table
off
AMLCD_INT
ON
off
en
en
on
no
off
english
en
off
en
flof
off
off
off
auto
on
off
large
off
off
suwon
uk
off

White Bal.

svp px

comb filter

sharpness
2f
3f

NR

RGB CAL - HERE IS WHERE THE MAGIC SEEMS TO HAPPEN !!!!!!
48 47
48 47
48 47
39 57
39 58
39 57

ADC CALIBRaTION
d6
fe
fe

Calibration Target
17 d5 02
0f eb 02
17 d5 04
00 dd 08

color managment
yellowish

STV8257
4b
4b
7f

YC DELAY
aa
cc
aa
bb
aa

adjust
fe

LNA PLUS

W/B Moviw
off
movie

warm2

spread spectrum
on
+3
my tv is
LE40F71BXX
running the 1009SVC software (1:1 pm fix)

sorry for my lousy english but it is verry verry late here..........

---------------------

this fixed it!!!!
post #87 of 176 Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
E2K

I need this for a samsung 5 series 37 inch A552 europe model with 35.000:1 contrast
post #88 of 176 Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 AM

well i finally got the balls to call the service center for my area and they just replaced my main board (not the tcon or ip board). it was still in warranty and i was honest from the beginning what i did and he just told me to give him the model no., serial etc and he would replace the board.

now i bring this up as because the cost of a new board is 300 minus a 50 core charge which comes out to 250. i was told that it was the only true way to fix it and thats samsung's official fix for the problem. now 250 might not be bad considering you could have them come over and try to fix it with a pattern generator and get sort of back to where you were for probably the same cost. you can order the part from samsungparts.com or maybe from your local service center and just replace it yourself. its simple just a lot screwdriver work. i helped the repair guy do it and later i had to fix the butcher job he did reattaching the back cover.

if you've ever built your own pc its no more difficult and it is a GUARANTEED solution. Once done don't ever ever go back in that damn service menu
post #89 of 176 Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM

Got a slightly different prob here. Hope somebody can advise me. I just bought an LA32B650. I work for a company that provides video on demand systems for hotels and some of the TV's we use are samsung LCD's so im familiar with the samsung service menu and the calibration section.

When I went into the service menu on my new TV I noticed that all the calibrations are showing "failure". I have not changed anything myself in the service menu. It came this way from the factory. Through my previous experience with samsung TV's I have never seen one that came like this brand new.

The picture quality seems OK (although the contrast may be a little off when using the tuner) but obviously I want it to be the best it can be.

I'm gonna call Samsung and try to get them to send a tech with a pattern generator. Trouble is, I dont think they will believe me that I didnt do this myself.

Any advise on how to deal with them in this regard? Does going into the service menu automaticly void my warranty? What about if a certified calibrator went in there instead of me? Warranty still void?
post #90 of 176 Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Ok,

I joined the Samsung service menu calibration failure club. I clicked on the av calibration and was so stupid to press left. My av calibrations now says failure.

I did some research, and according to page 4-27 of the Service manual (valid for (all?) LE**B5**, LE**B6** and LE**B7** models) the required test patterns are:
Quote:

Method of Color Calibration (AV)
1) Apply the NTSC Lattice (N0. 3) pattern signal to the AV IN 1 port

Method of Color Calibration (Component)
1) Apply the 720p Lattice (N0. 6) pattern signal to the Component IN 1 port

Method of Color Calibration (PC)
1) Apply the VESA XGA Lattice (N0. 21) pattern signal to the PC IN port

Method of Color Calibration (HDMI)
1) Apply the 720p Lattice (N0. 6) pattern signal to the HDMI1/DVI IN port

My question is: does anyone know what these Lattice patterns are? Does anyone have confirmed working lattice patterns for one of the models specified above?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page