AVS Forum banner

Samsung Calibration Failure

238K views 237 replies 138 participants last post by  anb82 
#1 ·
So I bought one of these TVs a couple of days ago. I decided to calibrate the TV properly and went to the service menu. Now the first option there is Calibration so I clicked it and some new options appeared: AV Calibration, Comp Calibration, PC Calibration and HDMI Calibration. I use the TV mainly for gaming so pushed Comp Calibration. Now all these settings had "Success" written next to them and when I pushed Comp Calibration it changed to "Failure"?! Now I can't change it back no matter what I do. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry made the earlier post in the wrong sub-forum...

#2 ·
Greetings

What exactly did you think you were "calibrating" by activating those items?

If we changed the word from calibration to "self destruct" ... would you still press those?

When activated, the TV looks for a specific test signal being fed by an external generator. If the signal is not there ... the test routine assumes that what ever is there ... a cartoon ... a news program ... is that very pattern and adjusts accordingly.

You can't fix this yourself ... without that pattern. This disaster is your making and you should just tell samsung that you messed around and pay for the repair job needed on the TV.

Regards

#3 ·
Well the picture is still good. It seems that it only calibrates colors and doesn't even affect the Game Mode (which I always use anyway). I also copied the sharpening and RGB as well as ADC settings from RGB (Scart) connection. The picture is now better than it was before (at least it seems that way) and doesn't have that annoying edge enhancement. So since you're a professional calibrator can you tell me

1. Should I be worried even if the picture is now better or at least as good as it was before

2. What settings does the automatic calibration affect? Since the signal and that calibration feature obviously affect settings that can be set manually anyway

3. Do you have any other tips for calibrating the sharpening and colours?

4. The calibration feature seems to be input specific so it only affect component input in this case, correct?

5. Is it just me or does the calibration feature only affect Dynamic mode?

Thanks for your answers in advance. I have calibrated monitors before so I guessed the calibration feature would have just shown me the color settings. Well, now I know better.

EDIT: One more question: If I some day want to get that comp calibration changed to Successful status, can the repair be done on the spot or do you usually have to send the TV for repairs. I mean they would just have to hook up the signal to component and use automatic calibration setting again.

#5 ·
Greetings

1. If you got it back close for your eyes ... then consider yourself lucky. Some people have not been able to get it back to remotely close.

2. Details of the Calibration function are sketchy ... Samsung does not talk about it much.

3. Calibrate with a test disc ... and with professional instrumentation where possible.

4. It is input signal type specific.

5. Again details are sketchy ... and I don't have any sets around that I want to ruin for such an experiment.

Regards

#6 ·
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your answers! However, if possible, I'd still like to inquire about the repair (recalibration): Do the manufacturers usually send someone over to calibrate it or do one have have to send the TV over to them for calibration?

#7 ·
Greetings

With the proper test pattern from their signal generator ... it may take them all of 30 sec to undo the "damage" done. Plug it in ... press recalibrate ... and all done.

Regards

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere /forum/post/0

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your answers! However, if possible, I'd still like to inquire about the repair (recalibration): Do the manufacturers usually send someone over to calibrate it or do one have have to send the TV over to them for calibration?

You would have to send it and pay likely since you broke it.

#10 ·
I just wanted to let you know but the Success status CAN be reattained with proper pattern without sending the TV to repairs. I used Avia's Checkerboard pattern with PS2 and now my TV has once again all inputs successfully calibrated. Samsung's Service was kind enough to inform me what kind of pattern they were using. Also in Samsung models the calibration only affects contrast and brightness levels so that also explains why Samsung users always seem to get good picture even though the calibration is a failure.

#11 ·
Great to hear ... thanks ...

good they were helpful ...

Regards

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri /forum/post/0

Cant you restore defaults?

No, you can't. You can only restore default settings for normal menu items but for service menu options there is no reset function which is why you should always document the changes you make there. (and not play with the calibration function
)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Great to hear ... thanks ...

good they were helpful ...

Regards

I really appreciate your help too. Usually people just ignore others' problems. Happy New Year!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere /forum/post/0

I just wanted to let you know but the Success status CAN be reattained with proper pattern without sending the TV to repairs. I used Avia's Checkerboard pattern with PS2 and now my TV has once again all inputs successfully calibrated. Samsung's Service was kind enough to inform me what kind of pattern they were using. Also in Samsung models the calibration only affects contrast and brightness levels so that also explains why Samsung users always seem to get good picture even though the calibration is a failure.

Hi Syvere!

I've also managed to make this misstake...

What exactly did You use from the Avia? As I understand theres a couple of different checkerboards there...?

I've also noticed that it is possible to get the correct values from other inputs...

Start the TV and select channel 1 or HDMI, shutdown, restart the TV i Service meny, note the settings, shutdown, restart the TV and select AV1 or 2, shutdown, restart using Service Meny and change to correct settings noted above...

This worked for me....

But I've learned the hard way not to mess with the service meny, and absolutly that it is essential to note all settings prior to messing up the set...

#16 ·
Greetings

As the posts say ... try a checkerboard pattern (8 white and 8 black boxes) and activate the process again.

Regards

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Greetings

As the posts say ... try a checkerboard pattern (8 white and 8 black boxes) and activate the process again.

Regards

Thanks Michael, I'll give it a try when I get hold of a PAL calibration disc and will let You know if it helps!

A couple of questions though:

- Just to make sure: Using a NTSC material (like Avia) would not help me, right? (I've got a European set...)

- I read somewhere that Samsung takes calibration further using color in checkerboard. Should I not use a color checkerboard then? Or is the calibration only for contrast and brightness?

#18 ·
Greetings

You will have to ask samsung those questions.

Regards

#19 ·
Hi Michael, Syvere and Pexer

sorry to bother you guys again but I'm still in the dark here.

According to Michael I should use an 8x8 checkerboard pattern to get 'Success' again.

I was just wondering. Can I create one of my one with squares of 240x135 for a 1920x1080 screen?

And what is the procedure I should follow: go back to the Service Menu (OMG) and go to Calibration again?

Please advice (and thanks in advance).

Regards.

#20 ·
OH YEAH!!! I'm a 'Success again!!!

My steps to success:

1. Created an 8x8 checkerboard of squares with size 240x135 because my TV is on 1920x1080. My checkerboard starts with a white square at the top left side (don't really know if this matters though).

2. Used my XBOX 360 to display the pattern on TV

3. Started the Service Menu on my TV and went to the Calibration menu.

4. Pressed the 'left cursor' button on my TV remote and waited.

- In the mean time the black squares turned green on my TV but I just ignored it.

- Then the brightness suddenly increased... but I still waited (to be honest I don't really know how long I've waited but it at least 20 seconds I think).

- But then... the TV shows the original picture (the green squares returned to black) and more importantly... the menu shows "Success"!!!

So thanks a lot for all your help guys!

Best regards.

#21 ·
Most TV's use a 100IRE (100% white) window pattern to calibrate the A/D converters. I've used this on a Samsung HPS 5053 to fix a problem with low IRE resolution errors on the component input. Use a 480i source. Wait 8 minutes or more untill it finishes with success. If it isn't correct, try again up to 6 times untill it finishes correctly. Wait 10 seconds after power-off to turn it back on. Check all settings in user mode, not service mode.

PS There is NO WAY to adjust tint on component OR HDMI inputs, even in service mode. If I find a workaround, Ill post it here.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkinn /forum/post/0

Most TV's use a 100IRE (100% white) window pattern to calibrate the A/D converters. I've used this on a Samsung HPS 5053 to fix a problem with low IRE resolution errors on the component input. Use a 480i source. Wait 8 minutes or more untill it finishes with success. If it isn't correct, try again up to 6 times untill it finishes correctly. Wait 10 seconds after power-off to turn it back on. Check all settings in user mode, not service mode.

PS There is NO WAY to adjust tint on component OR HDMI inputs, even in service mode. If I find a workaround, Ill post it here.

Thanks for Your response!

What does Your set look like during the calibration?

My turns from the 100IRE pattern to a bright white fullscreen. Just like turning up contrast and brightness to a maximum. Then the process restarts... Sometimes the white portion turns red, sometimes green... Seems neverending! Is this normal??? Im using 100IRE pattern from Avia (one white square on black bottom).

#23 ·
Hmmm, this is a good thread. I just bought a new Samsung LN-S4696D LCD TV. I'm waiting to put 50+ hours on it before I do a Colofacts 5.0 calibration on it. This is my first Samsung TV so got the code for the Service Menu and went in a couple on nights ago to explore the options in there. I went into the Calibration menu to see what the options were in there and I guess I hit the Left Arrow key rather than the Menu key just above it as it started going into a calibration process. No keys worked to stop it or get out so I pulled the power cord. Plugged it back in and every thing looks just as it did before - guess I'm lucky here? (Or is there a "Save" key that needs to be entered which I didn't do, or) Still, I may try looking into that submenu again to see if any inputs show failure. If so I'll fire up the Avia disc Checkerboard pattern and run it.

Guess it could have turned out worse!

#25 ·
I came to this thread looking for someone to help me out by telling me how to access the service menu on the Samsung 5053. Although after reading this post it looks quite a scary place to go! But I am willing to risk it because I have a bigger problem!

It's not actually calibration I am initially looking for really. It's because I emigrated from the UK to the US and brought my PAL PS2 (bought in the UK) and all my PAL games (also bought in the UK). I want to use the PAL PS2 with my new (US and obviously NTSC) Samsung 5053 and I hoping the service menu may give me the key!?! I am hoping there is a way to get it to accept a PAL signal.

I may of course be hoping and it will not do that at all so anyone out there who can think of an alternative - like running the PAL picture through a cable box or DVD player or Amp to convert to NTSC or any fancy little gadgets or cables anyone can think of - would be much appreciated.

I know of the PAL to NTSC converter boxes but they cost $150-$200, which my wife is NOT going to let me buy just to run my PS2!!!

Please help!

#27 ·
What a nice thread

I'm from portugal, and i've got a Samsung 40r74

And for my bad, i've done the PC calibration mistake

Since this lcd is only 720p, what resolution should i put on the screen 1360x768

And whats the dimension of the chess?

Quote:
Created an 8x8 checkerboard of squares with size 240x135 because my TV is on 1920x1080. My checkerboard starts with a white square at the top left side (don't really know if this matters though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.