Philips Convergence / Geometry - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Philips 60PP9601 60" 4x3 HD CRT RPTV. I am trying to reset the convergence / geometry on the set. I am unable to get a convergence template from Philips, it's been discontinued. I've called several sources I found online and can't find one. The part number for the template is ST4166. Does anyone know of a source that would have this template on the shelf?

I could also make a template myself. Does anyone know the layout of the template for this set? There are 5 horizontal lines and 11 vertical lines, although only 7 of the vertical lines can be moved. This gives me 35 points of adjustment. The horizontal lines are equally spaced top to bottom. The vertical lines are also equally spaced, except for the outer edges. The leftmost pair and rightmost pair of lines are more closely spaced than the rest. I think I saw a CAD file of the template for the 16x9 version of my set on the old Philips_HDTV yahoo group, but the group was overrun by spammers and has been shut down.

I've been trying to do this myself without the template. I've been able to get the TV into a somewhat watchable state, but getting it just right would take me a long time. I had removed the front plastic screen a long time ago, it caused way too much glare. So I drew a 1" grid on it with a felt tip pen and put it back on. This at least helps me get the lines straight and parallel. I've been using the Avia DVD as a reference to see how I'm doing and by trial and error. I can't do this in the HD modes though as I have no way of playing the DVD at 1080i, but I assume the lines would be in the same locations. Widescreen modes need to be compressed vertically, but I can figure that out, just set the horizontal lines to 3/4 of the original spacing.

My next planned step is to mark my plastic screen to match the Avia 16x12 crosshatch grid exactly, scaling to allow for some overscan. Get 480p 4x3 dialed in exactly, then go back and reset the other modes based on this.

A great option on the Avia DVD would be to display the patterns in Red,Green or Blue individually. Is there an easy way to do this? When I set the geometry with the green it's not too easy to see my changes without doing the convergence also. I had read somewhere that I could put cardboard over the other blue and red guns to mask them.

Any help / advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Steve,

Do you still own your 60pp9601? I am having some challenges with stray horizontal lines above my 16x9 squeezed area when watching TV. Wondering if you or anyone has come across this and knows how to remedy.

Jon
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page