Newbie Calibration Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first HDTV is being delivered this weekend. Being the eager beaver that I am, I turned down the store's white glove delivery that included calibration, figuring heck I can do that myself. After doing a few days worth of research I now firmly believe that I should have done some research before making that call. I still have more questions than answers, so any help with the questions below would be greatly appreciated.

1) The store's white glove delivery with calibration costs an additional $150. That price sounds a little too good to be true since, from what I have read, I should expect to pay $300-$400 for pro calibration. Am I right to be skeptical and would I be better off investing that $150 towards a higher level calibration service?

2) I am considering AVIA or DVE as a do it yourself option. If I use these am I only calibrating my DVD input?

3) My HD satellite service will be installed about a week after my TV arrives. If I opt for pro calibration am I better off waiting until my HD service is active?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luganbear View Post

1) The store's white glove delivery with calibration costs an additional $150. That price sounds a little too good to be true since, from what I have read, I should expect to pay $300-$400 for pro calibration. Am I right to be skeptical and would I be better off investing that $150 towards a higher level calibration service?

2) I am considering AVIA or DVE as a do it yourself option. If I use these am I only calibrating my DVD input?

3) My HD satellite service will be installed about a week after my TV arrives. If I opt for pro calibration am I better off waiting until my HD service is active?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1) things that sound too good to be true are usually. You would likely get what we call Basic User Level Calibration, which we provide with installation of any product. If lucky you might get a little education on how to adjust the set, but these are questions for the specific store that you are dealing with.

2) I recommend everyone get one of these and learn everything you can about adjusting your set. Yes, you calibrate the DVD input, but you can use these settings on other inputs as a starting point.

3) I recommend waiting until the set ages in a bit, you get everything installed in a manner that you are confident is best and correct, you learn all that you can about user level adjustments, and until you can get the right person to calibrate your set to the degree that you need. No reason to ruch.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page