Color HCFR Calibration Discussion (Post your calibration files here) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That would be nice...

As for T°, I was refering to Greeno's post.

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The dtp94 should account for temperature shifts as they have a simple temperature re-calibration table in the meter. Apparently the do require recalibration every 10min, though, as you say.

I played with watching the temp and never say the readings vary due to temperature and it varied, if I recall, by 5-10 deg F.

Again, it's been awhile since I looked at this, but the differences were systematic between calman and HCFR and toolcrib.

When I used teh continuous read option, it was very repeatable. It was the comparison between tools where there might have been an issue.

One difference in my experiment(s) that might invalidate it was that I had to move the meter, to recalibrate, when changing between tools. I did my best to get it back in the same spot, but that's hard when using the suction cup to hold the cord (I marked where the cord entered the suction cup holder so I was withing 1-2mm.

jeff
post #273 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

I also on my MitsCRT have a gamma of 2.2 on display and 2.5 on camera. If I try to target 2.2 on Camera, it will be too dark, so camera use will be dependent on your display. Yours seems to act just like mine..

Bori,

Eso es imposible! If you were to adjust to Camera 2.2 it would be brighter, not darker. As you switch to Camera from Display you'll see the reference move up, for brighter reference.
post #274 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Patrice and Jeff:

I just did a quick test using GetGray with my XP desktop measuring my CRT display. The results were completely different from the ones I obtained before--temperature reading on 80% grey pattern never varied more than 50 degrees, delta e not more than 1, RGB levels not more than 1%. So, I need to try my previous setup: Windows 98 with 96mb memory, toshiba dvd player, Samsung HDTV. Perhaps the problem is with the computer or the display.

Jack

From what you say, Jeff, my issues are not relevant to yours.

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #275 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
... and what I saw was a couple of beta's ago...
post #276 of 3872 Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Humm, that's even more interesting...

--Patrice

post #277 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions/ recommendations

calibrating a Panasonic Th-50px600u plasma

Post Avia Basic Calibration

Picture +15
Brightness +8
Color -3
Tint -6
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Warm
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR Off
MPEG NR Off
Black Level Light

Thanks

What do you think I should do first?

th50px600u_postAVIAcal_initialgrayscaleassess_colortempwarm_14Feb07.zip 1.388671875k . file
post #278 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

fishon, you need to increase you blue quite a bit.

Does the 600u give you access to the colour controls in the user menu or do you have to go into service mode?

You might also try a "Cool" or "Normal" colour temperature setting.
post #279 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Does anyone have post calibration settings for a mits 57831 they would be willing to share with me? I have searched several forum with no results. Thanks.
post #280 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

fishon, you need to increase you blue quite a bit.

Does the 600u give you access to the colour controls in the user menu or do you have to go into service mode?

You might also try a "Cool" or "Normal" colour temperature setting.

There's only a single global setting for Color in the user menu. As you can see, it is set to -3 based on the AVIA cal. I will go into the service menu and tinker a bit.

Tried all three color temperature choices, and the one that gets me closest to D65 is Warm.

I assume you mean increase blue gain? Am I correct in this assumption?

My limited understanding is as follows. Please flame me if I'm wrong

brightness = black level = bias..... but which service menu control is synonymous with it?

white level = contrast = picture = gain .... is my assumtion correct that cuts and drives are directly related to changing RGB contrast? i.e. one is either "cutting" R G or B (decreasing contrast) or "driving" R G or B (increasing contrast)

Thanks for your help...

Jude
post #281 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post

I assume you mean increase blue gain? Am I correct in this assumption?

Yes. You may also need to increase the bias depending on whether increasing gain keeps it flat or not.

Quote:

brightness = black level = bias..... but which service menu control is synonymous with it?

white level = contrast = picture = gain .... is my assumtion correct that cuts and drives are directly related to changing RGB contrast? i.e. one is either "cutting" R G or B (decreasing contrast) or "driving" R G or B (increasing contrast)

You almost got it.

Brightness and contrast are usually global controls that affect R,G, and B simultaneously.

Assuming you have access to cut/bias and gain/drive for each of the primaries then they work like individual brightness / contrast controls for each colour. Cut/bias controls are the same as brightness and gain/drive are the same as contrast.
post #282 of 3872 Old 02-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Outstanding! Thanks Jvincent... you've been a huge help!
post #283 of 3872 Old 02-21-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My first attempt with HCFR to calibrate a Vizio GV47L 1080p LCD, using getgray, an Optix DPT-94, a Panny S97 DVD set to 1080i via HDMI to the V47.

The V47 has cool, normal, warm and custom in the color temp menu. For custom there are R/G/B adjustments. The usual other user settings are contrast, brightness, backlight, color, tint, sharpness. There has as yet been no reported success to access the service menu.

The V47 was first adjusted using getgray and DVE for BTB (brightness) and contrast. Then with DVE for color and tint using the filters. The R/G/B controls was used to set color temp visually (boy was that way off as I found later).
Set HCFR to the DTP-94, REC 709, camera gamma at 2.22. RGB at 16-235.
Sat the S97 to brightness +2 (to see BTB) and contrast -1, these settings are recommended in the S97 user forum and other reviews.

Then ran the gray scale 0 to 100 IRE getgray, next,
Using continuous measurement the R/G/B controls were adjusted on the 30/80 gray patterns and converged to about 100% on the HCFR info window. Iterated between 30% and 80% and achieved Delta e < 3 for both. The blue was way too high when I started. Reduced from 123 to 92 correct the Blue

Next, ran the primaries and secondaries many times against various contrast/tint settings (Only controls available for the color decoder on the V47), checking the CIE diagram each time. Ran the tint from -5% to + 5% with best at 0%. The color from 59% to 65% with best at 62%.

Final result not bad but blue out of wack below 20 IRE.
Note for owners of the V47:
The V47 'warm' setting was very close to the custom setting arrived at. And I repeated many tests using a Sony HX900 HDD/DVD recorder feeding the V47 via component scaled again to 1080i. The results were virtually the same.

Suggestions/comments welcom. Thought I would add my file since there are so few LCD panels reported, only 32ld700 that I could find

V47-final-2-20-07.zip 3.3828125k . file

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #284 of 3872 Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Well i'm at it again with my D2 and HCFR!! A few post back you'll see that I came to a final calibration that I thought I was happy with. After a few days when watching something other than 16:9 format I noticed the redish/blue tint in the black bars around the picture. So I went and looked again at my calibration file and it only confirms what I was seeing in the low IRE. No problems so far......
Well I got the bright idea of going back and re-adjusting my brihgtness/contrast with GetGray. Well that knocked out the red/blue tint in the black bars. While I was adjusting, I took another run to see where I was at now and as you would expect I was all out of whack again. I proceeded to recalibrate, but ended up with slightly diferent results. Take a look at my two files below and tell me what you think.

I am thinking of reverting back to the first settings and live with the color-tinted black bars when not watching 16:9 content. Don't get me wrong both of these settings look good, but only with subtle nuiances. I think I'm gonna default my IN76 and start from scratch and go with best out of three . The more I played with this the better I got making adjustments and it doesn't take much more than an hour for me to run through the gamut making tweaks.

final.zip 0.99609375k . file

final2.zip 0.990234375k . file
post #285 of 3872 Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

My first attempt with HCFR to calibrate a Vizio GV47L 1080p LCD, using getgray, an Optix DPT-94, a Panny S97 DVD set to 1080i via HDMI to the V47.

The V47 has cool, normal, warm and custom in the color temp menu. For custom there are R/G/B adjustments. The usual other user settings are contrast, brightness, backlight, color, tint, sharpness. There has as yet been no reported success to access the service menu.

The V47 was first adjusted using getgray and DVE for BTB (brightness) and contrast. Then with DVE for color and tint using the filters. The R/G/B controls was used to set color temp visually (boy was that way off as I found later).
Set HCFR to the DTP-94, REC 709, camera gamma at 2.22. RGB at 16-235.
Sat the S97 to brightness +2 (to see BTB) and contrast -1, these settings are recommended in the S97 user forum and other reviews.

Then ran the gray scale 0 to 100 IRE getgray, next,
Using continuous measurement the R/G/B controls were adjusted on the 30/80 gray patterns and converged to about 100% on the HCFR info window. Iterated between 30% and 80% and achieved Delta e < 3 for both. The blue was way too high when I started. Reduced from 123 to 92 correct the Blue

Next, ran the primaries and secondaries many times against various contrast/tint settings (Only controls available for the color decoder on the V47), checking the CIE diagram each time. Ran the tint from -5% to + 5% with best at 0%. The color from 59% to 65% with best at 62%.

Final result not bad but blue out of wack below 20 IRE.
Note for owners of the V47:
The V47 'warm' setting was very close to the custom setting arrived at. And I repeated many tests using a Sony HX900 HDD/DVD recorder feeding the V47 via component scaled again to 1080i. The results were virtually the same.

Suggestions/comments welcom. Thought I would add my file since there are so few LCD panels reported, only 32ld700 that I could find

Looks good overall, and I'm hardly the expert, but I think you can get a little closer with your BLUE on your grayscale. I'm a tweaker type and always think I can get it just a tad bit better (even when it is already good)
post #286 of 3872 Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alefsin View Post

Here is my current situation:

And here is the HCFR file:

Just finished calibrating a Vizio GV47L 1080p LCD TV and achieved results very similar to yours.Take a look at my post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...03#post9842903
Notice the blue rise below 20 IRE, much the same as shown in your file.
And I use the same S97 DVD

Our TV's appear to be similar but I am not familiar with your set. Curious as to what special adjustments the Hitachi has

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #287 of 3872 Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any suggestions as to how to set the white and black levels within the service menu using this software? I am currently working on a panasonic 60u plasma so if anyone has any tips specific to this model it would be appreciated. No need to reply if you could just point me in the direction of previous, helpful posts. Thanks.
post #288 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My results from direct view CRT with Spyder2 probe and the HCFR probe I built.

Dave
LL

CRT_REF_SPYDER2andHCFR_PROBE.zip 2.73828125k . file
post #289 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice board and very nice results !!

Would you mind sharing design of the board ?

--Patrice

post #290 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you mind sharing design of the board ?

Sure. I'll post the gerbers to the parts thread soon. I'll gladly send a stuffed and tested one to HCFR if you want to PM me an address. Is the EU strictly enforcing RoHS yet?

Dave
post #291 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I just recently purchased a Display LT probe and have been having a blast using Color HCFR to calibrate my displays. The learning curve is a little steep. but I think I'm startibg to get the hang of it.

Could one of you calibration junkies check out my chc file? It's my latest calibration of my Sanyo Z4 using GetGray, and my XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD drive.

I'm having trouble getting the gammas for my RGB's half sensible (especially blue). I may have to go through the service menu on the Z4, as I don't think I can improve my settings any more with the user menu, extensive as it may be.

Any suggestions?

Z4 VGA XBOX 360.zip 5.076171875k . file
post #292 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsen View Post

My results from direct view CRT with Spyder2 probe and the HCFR probe I built.

Dave

VERY NICE!!!..love the CIE points results..incredible..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #293 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsen View Post

Sure. I'll post the gerbers to the parts thread soon. I'll gladly send a stuffed and tested one to HCFR if you want to PM me an address. Is the EU strictly enforcing RoHS yet?

We are, but shouldn't be a problem

--Patrice

post #294 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Hello gang, been alittle while but when it snows it tends to put a damper on my free time anyway here are the results of my plasma using the dtp94 first and then the spyder2 for comparasion. i did adjust the color decoder for each sensor independent of one another. any suggestions? i know that its a work in progress.

spyderII.zip 2.5537109375k . file

dtp94.zip 4.4453125k . file

Education is what you get when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Arthur Levitt
post #295 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudbudy View Post

Hello gang, been alittle while but when it snows it tends to put a damper on my free time anyway here are the results of my plasma using the dtp94 first and then the spyder2 for comparasion. i did adjust the color decoder for each sensor independent of one another. any suggestions? i know that its a work in progress.

skip using the spyder entirely.....its just not cut out, unless your repeative and do LONG readings for LOW IRE..WIth the DTP94 you can also adjust for low and better readings to get a more real read for the your low end..its actually not to bad..By the way do NOT try to adjust your color and tint to the CIE, thats not what its for, adjust those using your regular filters. Only you should adjust those if you have control of the points as it relates to the greyscale (not color)

Its actually looks pretty good..just do long readings or whats called AVG readings in the the Dark (check that when you select your DTP as your probe - if you didnt)

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #296 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Here's some info for the first callibration I'm pretty satisfied with on my Panny 60U. Can anyone explain why my gamma reading is so low? Is it a mistake in my software settings or is it actually display related? Any help would be much appreciated as well as any tips that can be offered by anyone with some experience callibrating these displays. Thanks.

PANNYCAL.zip 5.06640625k . file
post #297 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, your gamma EO curve does seem funky, do you have any other gamma settings you can try? Also, it appears you may be running out of blue on the top end? Your blue goes backwards @ 90 IRE- you have more blue lumens at 80 IRE (96%) than at 90 IRE (93%).

Dave
post #298 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM

I don't think the Panny offers any gamma settings in the service menu. You're basically left to brightness / contrast settings I believe. I just wonder if I'm not configuring the software correctly. I don't see how something I could have done would throw it off that much. I only adjusted cuts and drives and nothing else. Any help please?
post #299 of 3872 Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
No one commented on my chc file yet. I must have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Anyhow, I did a new calibration tonight. I would appreciate some comments please. I improved my gamma, but I still need advice. I attaching my previous file as well.

Z4 VGA XBOX 360.zip 5.076171875k . file

Z4 VGA XBOX 360-2-.zip 4.7802734375k . file
post #300 of 3872 Old 02-24-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

No one commented on my chc file yet. I must have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Anyhow, I did a new calibration tonight. I would appreciate some comments please. I improved my gamma, but I still need advice. I attaching my previous file as well.

Hi Kilgore,

Here is one suggestion, your BLUE is your Clipping color (dipping down badly), if you look at your gamma in LOG Mode, these means if you use BLUE to calibrate your greyscale it will dip as you see in the gamma, DO NOT use BLUE to calibrate it (its the color that is MAXED out already), use Green and Red then to bring UP Blue..Most DLP have RED as the clipping color so just a couple of click UP will make it dip.

Put your original settings back in place and do as follow

One way to handle this is to bring up 100 Window dvd pattern (pause it), then click/highlight on 100 on the ColorHCFR program and select icon DISPLAY Measurments, do the continuous reading, then adjust green and red to see how blue bar comes up or down..Then once you nail that go and use the 30 or 20 window pattern and proceeds as you did as previous..and let me know...I bet with no Blue (or barely a click here and there) that it will track much better...Then rerun a complete measurement of your results and fine tweak it..GOOD LUCK..hope its helps you understand...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page