BenQ 24" HD Monitor calibration - multiple sources, help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Im not sure whether I have posted this in the correct place, so i do apologize if this needs to be moved.

I recently got myself a new monitor, BenQ 24" FP241W, which i use for PC usage and also have my xbox 360 connected to it via VGA cable.
Coming from my old monitor, the screen is so bright its unbelievable, especially within windows when browsing and I open a new window which will be white. I can turn the brightness down but the colours dont look as good so im looking to calibrate the monitor correctly to have good colours with decent brightness as not to blind me.

Im looking to calibrate my monitor correctly (well good enough) for usage within windows and also for my xbox 360; but i would like to know what would be the best solution. Having a look around and there seems to be a few things i could use such as a Spyder2, DVE dvd and AVIA dvd and probably some others which I havent come across.

What would be the best to get hold of to be able to calibrate it for PC use and for xbox 360? As far as I am aware, the settings when adjusted stay that way on that connection, so i would be able to use 2 different settings if need be.
I have tried some test patterns but not really seem to be getting anywhere; after all im not that sure what im supposed to be doing or looking for as I havent calibrated any screen before.

Also, the monitor has 4 modes, standard, dynamic, movie and photo; though im curious as to whether these are just different presets regarding brightness, contrast and colour, or whether there is some hidden agenda behind them which you cannot adjust.

Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

The Xbox would be calibrated with the user controls on the front panel ...

The computer stuff would be done through the video card software adjustments. One setting for desktop applications and another for video playback applications.

Test DVD for 360 and video applications. Can also use as a starting position for desktop applications ... but realizing it is a place to start.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

The Xbox would be calibrated with the user controls on the front panel ...

The computer stuff would be done through the video card software adjustments. One setting for desktop applications and another for video playback applications.

Test DVD for 360 and video applications. Can also use as a starting position for desktop applications ... but realizing it is a place to start.

Regards

Hi thanks for the reply; though im not exactly sure what u mean

So basically adjust the monitor settings for the xbox and for PC usage adjust the settings within ATI Catalyst Control under the color option. Though ive noted under the catalyst settings there is only options for desktop application and Fullscreen 3d, so wouldnt be able to have seperate options for video playback

A test DVD along the lines of dve/avia would provide test patterns and help out calibrating for the 360 and video playback on the PC. I take it the dvd solutions provide a guidance on how to adjust and what to be looking for (this being my major fault, i dont really know what im doing)

What about the use of a spyder2express; would this be a good solution for everything im looking for?

The main reason im wanting to calibrate correctly is because of the brightness of the screen; if i reduce it too much there tends to be a decrease in colour and abit of a fade; maybe the monitor is a very bright display but im hoping there is a way to get good balance so i can view pages which are white without being stunned.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 AM

That sounds cool having the xbox hooked up to the pc.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphatic View Post

Hi thanks for the reply; though im not exactly sure what u mean

So basically adjust the monitor settings for the xbox and for PC usage adjust the settings within ATI Catalyst Control under the color option. Though ive noted under the catalyst settings there is only options for desktop application and Fullscreen 3d, so wouldnt be able to have seperate options for video playback

A test DVD along the lines of dve/avia would provide test patterns and help out calibrating for the 360 and video playback on the PC. I take it the dvd solutions provide a guidance on how to adjust and what to be looking for (this being my major fault, i dont really know what im doing)

What about the use of a spyder2express; would this be a good solution for everything im looking for?

The main reason im wanting to calibrate correctly is because of the brightness of the screen; if i reduce it too much there tends to be a decrease in colour and abit of a fade; maybe the monitor is a very bright display but im hoping there is a way to get good balance so i can view pages which are white without being stunned.

I have calibrated my Benq FP241W with Pantone eye-one. My PC has NVIDIA GeForce 6200 card with dual monitors: BenQ and CRT Viewsonic. The difference before/after calibration on BenQ was hardly noticeable; not so for ViewSonic. I would be happy with my BenQ's factory pre-sets.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I agree ^^ i downloaded multiple monitor calibration wizards. and the thing was maybe 2 to 1 degree of in every color, but brightness and contrast were fine. I also use my benq for pc and 360, although mine is a 20 inch. it's a great monitor, but playing GOW i just think so much more could be ripped out, is there a way to get deeper into the monitors capabilites?

Absence of Evidence is not always Evidence of Absence

live together, die alone

Gamertag: Bigbev02-Tell me if you're from AVS.

Achievement Unlocked: You've found the red couch!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page