Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Yes, used the pluge pattern inset into the resolution-wedge screen a few years ago for checking my 64" CRT RPTV ...

Thanks John. I'm curious to hear if someone has used the 11 blocks at the bottom of that pattern to measure the luminosity curve and derive a gamma measurement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsolomon View Post

Thanks John. I'm curious to hear if someone has used the 11 blocks at the bottom of that pattern to measure the luminosity curve and derive a gamma measurement.

I'll take a look at it this weekend (also the resolution using a 1920x1080 display), just haven't gotten around to it yet.
post #63 of 79 Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I can think of a few issues with trying to use the HDNet blocks at the bottom to measure the lumiosity:
1) Block may be smaller than the viewing angle of the measurement device - so you may also be measuring some adjacent areas as well.
2) The number in the middle of the block will add some error to the measurement
3) CRT sets and all RRPTVs have some uniformity issues - so those may also impact measurements.

Dave Hancock
post #64 of 79 Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Hi Dave. Good point on #1. As for #2, I'm talking about the pattern later on in the broadcast which doesn't have the numbers in the blocks. And as for #3, I've got a plasma, so that doesn't apply to me specifically, but definitely applies to owners of those other display types. Thanks! -- JS
post #65 of 79 Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsolomon View Post

Hi Dave. Good point on #1. As for #2, I'm talking about the pattern later on in the broadcast which doesn't have the numbers in the blocks. And as for #3, I've got a plasma, so that doesn't apply to me specifically, but definitely applies to owners of those other display types. Thanks! -- JS

Gotcha - I'm used to using the first ones (with the numbers) that I forgot about these.

Dave Hancock
post #66 of 79 Old 06-23-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I took some measurements this morning and results are below. Unfortunately the LCD display I used to test resolution would not accept a 1080i input (only 720p) so even though it has a native resolution of 1900x1200 the test pattern resolution measurement is inconclusive. I measured vertical resolution at 720 (as expected) and horizontal resolution at 680 x 1.78 = 1200 lines for 16x9 display. This is a bit lower than expected (1280) but probably within the accuracy of this method.

The gray scale was measured using the patches shown during the last test pattern using a spot meter (i1pro) in contact with my display. I compared the HDnet patterns from the moto6416 box via HDMI input to the getgray DVD patterns via the same input.

Correlated color temperature of the HDnet patterns agrees within the measurement scatter so these patterns can definitely be used for CCT calibration. Solid line=HDnet, dotted line=getgray

For gamma measurements I set the contrast so that the 100% HDnet pattern was the same luminance as the 100% getgray pattern. Overall, gamma was lower using HDnet patterns compared to the getgray patterns.

I can get the gamma responses to agree if I shift the HDnet stimulus scale by a flat 3.4%

I see three possibilities for this difference:

1. The HDnet patterns have a 3.4% scale shift (i.e. 10% is really 13.4%)
2. The HDnet patterns use a slightly different gamma encoding function compared to the getgray DVD.
3. Difference in mpeg decoding between the dvd player and the moto box.

There is no way I know of to tell the difference between these possibilities at the user end.

The color patch measurements were interesting showing a significantly smaller gamut. Getgray results on left, HDnet on right. The reference gamut shown is Rec709, the HDnet gamut is closer to a SMPTE-C gamut. The green luminance as a percent of white (lightness) was also much lower (-36%) than what it should be.

post #67 of 79 Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great series of measurements, zoyd. Can't follow the 720p-only display input problem though. Reads like it might be a computer-type display (1200 rows) versus a consumer 1080p LCD display, so requires a progressive input? The mystery remains, with AFAIK, only one FIOS/HDNet/STB 1920X1080i reading of ~1333 lines max horiz. rez by GeekGirl above. -- John
post #68 of 79 Old 06-25-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reads like it might be a computer-type display (1200 rows) versus a consumer 1080p LCD display, so requires a progressive input?

correct.
post #69 of 79 Old 06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The mystery remains, with AFAIK, only one FIOS/HDNet/STB 1920X1080i reading of ~1333 lines max horiz. rez by GeekGirl above. -- John

As a refresh (pun intended), that's an eyeball measurement on a native 960 H pixel display (DLP mirror "wobulation" -> 960 x 1080). I should probably throw in something for tolerance - I can visually resolve down to about 0.5 steps, so take 1/2 of that.

Horizontal resolution (vertical wedge): 1,333 = 7.5 (+/- 0.25) * 100 * (16/9)
1,333 +/-44 = 1,288 to 1,377 lines
post #70 of 79 Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any channels still broadcasting these patterns?
post #71 of 79 Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Hdnet

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #72 of 79 Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What time? I don't see it on their schedule

Edit: Found it. January 12th, 2008 at 6:30 am EST for 10 minutes
post #73 of 79 Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm looking for advice as to how to use HD Net test pattern's color bars to set "color" and "tint". I have the THX Optimizer glasses (came with the THX Optimizer disk from THX). Here are the glasses http://costore.com/thx/productenlarg...=87&pid=930793

Can these be used with the color patterns on HD Net's test pattern to calibrate both color and tint? If so, what am I looking for when dialing in "color" and what am I looking for when dialing in "tint"?

Thanks
post #74 of 79 Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

I'm looking for advice as to how to use HD Net test pattern's color bars to set "color" and "tint". I have the THX Optimizer glasses (came with the THX Optimizer disk from THX). Here are the glasses http://costore.com/thx/productenlarg...=87&pid=930793

Can these be used with the color patterns on HD Net's test pattern to calibrate both color and tint? If so, what am I looking for when dialing in "color" and what am I looking for when dialing in "tint"?

Thanks

Usefulness of the color bars in HDNet test patterns is limited because they are not "split" color bars.

Dave Hancock
post #75 of 79 Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

The 4th post in this thread has a link to a summary of test pattern use. I've DVRed the patterns and (rarely) borrow the blue filter with my Avia test DVD to ballpark tint/color with HDNet. The setting involves your HDNet source and STB channel, so tailoring user controls to specific programs may be necessary. And if your source in downrezzing HDNet, say from 1920X1080i to 1280X1080i, the resolution tests outlined earlier above may not apply: (displays >1280 horizontally). -- John
post #76 of 79 Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

HDNet has disappeared from the Verizon FiOS IMG. It's not on the web site, so it's time to let HDNEt know about it. Time for Action! I just sent an email to: viewer@hd.net
Quote:

Hello,

I own a home theater owner and have used your HDNet Test Patterns since HDNet started broadcasting them. I record them to my HD DVR and have come to depend on them as one of my "standards". Your HDNet Test Pattern broadcast has recently been dropped from your schedule. Can you please bring it back?

HDNet was founded on the promise of the very best quality video and audio programming. Not having this program available goes against this promise. I will be very disappointed if this program does not return and will no longer consider HDNet as the high quality channel it once was.

An earlier listing:
Sat, Mar 8 - 6:30 AM ET 3:30 AM PT hdnet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, hdnet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns hdnet uses to set their gear.

Please put HDNet Test Patterns back! Any time of day is fine, I will record it. Thanks!

post #77 of 79 Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't see this on my guide (FIOS). There is regular programming shown on every Tuesday at 8am.

It is "off the air" on Saturday, 11/15 at 10am.

Same thing?

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #78 of 79 Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
10am saturday is when it is on. time warners guide says HDNet Test Patterns. i recorded it last saturday.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #79 of 79 Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The color patch measurements were interesting showing a significantly smaller gamut. Getgray results on left, HDnet on right. The reference gamut shown is Rec709, the HDnet gamut is closer to a SMPTE-C gamut. The green luminance as a percent of white (lightness) was also much lower (-36%) than what it should be.

I'm noticing the same thing, especially with the green luminance being much lower probably due to Zoyd's observation of HDNET's smaller gamut. Cyan and yellow are also noticably lower.

Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page