Panasonic Plasma Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a TH-42PHD8UK that I have been using quite happily for over a year.
This year I added a second HDMI port to hook up my new blu-ray player (ps3)
and I now have the need to recalibrate.

General questions:
- Should a plasma display be recalibrated with every video source (IE: new dvd
player, DVR, etc) or should the same settings be used for every source?
- Do the two HDMI inputs need to be calibrated separately?

The reason I ask is my display seems to be way off when I use the same settings
for both video1 and video2 (now both hdmi inputs). Even when the same video
source is used.

In the past I have used two DVD calibration discs, the digital home essentials
and another no-name disc. But I am having some difficulty nailing down the
settings. Could be just me (Im part color blind) but I can still tell the settings
are off. So, naturally I am now looking into using a device as well as software.
I have read a few reviews on this forum and most people seem to like the
SpyderTV unit and the DisplayLT. They are both in my price range.

Specific questions:
- What unit would you recomend to calibrate this display? SpyderTV, DisplayLT
or something else?
- Do either of them use the serial input on the TV to save the settings exactly?
- Does the display allow you to set the more advanced settings? I have only seen
the basic brightness, color, tint and contrast.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Your display is capable of extremely accurate rendition of any given material with measured, then compensated adjustments for inaccuracies. Without actually measuring where you start from, where you end up is no more than a guess on your part.

That being said, I suggest you purchase and learn to operate almost any software/system that uses a spectroradiometer or top notch colorimeter. You may also wish to explore whether the costs are prohibitive for your time/experience. If you decide that you'd like it just to "get done", then hire a pro. In most cases, an alternative that costs far less.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3 of 16 Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post

That being said, I suggest you purchase and learn to operate almost any software/system that uses a spectroradiometer or top notch colorimeter. Doug k

Thank you for your reply, what unit would you suggest for this display?
post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Spyder2 and Calman works great for mine.

digital film janitor
post #5 of 16 Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Panasonic TH46PZ85 Calibration - Has anyone out there had their new Panasonic plasma set calibrated? If so are the ISF techs going into a service port to do this or is there another way to calibrate a TV (other than simply adjusting the menu settings on the remote control)? There is some red push on my 46PZ85 and I'm wondering if a single calibration (Best Buy wants $300 for their Geek Squad guy...) applies to all the inputs or if each input has to be seperately calibrated? Also the Panny offers two Black Level settings, Light or Dark...does calibration help make the "Dark" setting more useable (currently the Dark setting really ruins shadow detail in dark scenes but conversely, it helps colors to really "pop" when you tune in a bright scene like an outdoor sporting event). Ultimately, I want my skin-tones to be more natural but it seems I'm always playing with the tint and color controls (adjusting on the fly) to get the red-level just right. Once I do this the color balance is quite good but given the limits of the Panny's color controls it's never quite as good as a set which features white balance controls for gain and bias. Should I spend $300 bucks for calibration????
post #6 of 16 Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Greetings

In the SM or in the user menu ... if the correct controls are there ... what difference does it make? The TV still gets calibrated.

Calibrators won't be re-engineering your TV. Want that done ... a check for 6 figures is more realistic.

If you want the TV to be as accurate as it can be ... within reason ... and you don't want to spend the time to learn to do it all yourself and buy the gear yourself ... then you have to hire a pro to do it.

Doesn't have to be BB ... it is up to you to figure out where you want your $$ to go. Like picking a good doctor or dentist or lawyer ... gotta do some research. Very possible that the BB guy is good enough ... but you need to ask questions ...

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #7 of 16 Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Heres something I noticed with my 720p Panny Plasma.

It will accept 720p, 1080i, and 1080p signals.

But 1080p is a problem for the Panny.

While it seems that you might as well feed it the signal with the most info, 1080p, on my calibration screen, 1080p causes jaggies everywhere, while 1080i has lines that are smooth as silk.

So DO NOT feed your 720p Panny Plasma(actually 768p) 1080p!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

What's your source for feeding it 1080p test patterns?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-14-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HD-XA2 was my source, and I used the HD-DVD video essentials disc's overscan pattern screen.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-15-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoshak View Post

Panasonic TH46PZ85 Calibration - Has anyone out there had their new Panasonic plasma set calibrated? If so are the ISF techs going into a service port to do this or is there another way to calibrate a TV (other than simply adjusting the menu settings on the remote control)? There is some red push on my 46PZ85 and I'm wondering if a single calibration (Best Buy wants $300 for their Geek Squad guy...) applies to all the inputs or if each input has to be seperately calibrated? Also the Panny offers two Black Level settings, Light or Dark...does calibration help make the "Dark" setting more useable (currently the Dark setting really ruins shadow detail in dark scenes but conversely, it helps colors to really "pop" when you tune in a bright scene like an outdoor sporting event). Ultimately, I want my skin-tones to be more natural but it seems I'm always playing with the tint and color controls (adjusting on the fly) to get the red-level just right. Once I do this the color balance is quite good but given the limits of the Panny's color controls it's never quite as good as a set which features white balance controls for gain and bias. Should I spend $300 bucks for calibration????

IMO, yes you should pay $300 (or thereabouts) for calibrtion if you want your display be as accurate as it can be. As Michael said, the BB guy may be fine or not. They are not the only source for display calibrations. You can find local calibrators at www.isfforum.com - click the "find a calibrator" link not too far from the top of the left column in the Main Menu section. Some calibrators work for dealers or home theater installers, some work for big retailers like Best Buy, and some calibrators are independents who run their own business. There is a big range of calibration instrumentation and software used by calibrators also... all the way from a modest ~$1000 setup up to ~$15,000 or more in a high end meter like the Konica-Minolta CS-200 and Photo Research PR-650/670 with high-end analysis software from Datacolor. Laughably, some BB customers are told that BB calibrators use $30,000 tools to calibrate video displays when the truth is what they use is closer to $5000. Other times, customers are given an accurate description of what tools are used and what to expect from the calibration.

There are no controls for removing the red push on the Panasonic PDPs that have red push - so you are stuck with that. I have seen that on other PZ85U models I've calibrated also. It's not usually terrible, but it is there.

You need the service menu to make the gray scale more accurate. The Panasonic service menu is a PITA and the only things in there of help with the PZ85U are the RGB cuts and gains to make the gray scale more accurate. All other calibration adjustments have to be made with user menu controls.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #11 of 16 Old 06-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I have a TH50PZ85U and have noticed that the picture on Size 2 is a bit further down than it should be. Is therre a way to adjust the picture position(s) myself or must a pro-calibrator do that?

Thanks

PS...I'm considering a professional calibration in the very near future and am considering either Lion AV (Dan Miller) or ISF TV (Kevin Miller). Can anyone give me any feedback on these gentlemen and/or these companies?

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
post #12 of 16 Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:

The Panasonic service menu is a PITA and the only things in there of help with the PZ85U are the RGB cuts and gains to make the gray scale more accurate. All other calibration adjustments have to be made with user menu controls.

I have a PZ700U and it seems you are right. While in the service menu adjustments to contrast did not seem to do anything, while adjustment to sub-bright changes were dramatically different when outside the service menu. Is this normal? It seemed like the user modes did some sort of low level processing that changed it quite a bit when not in service menu. Do you simply have to make minor adjustments to the sub bright, then go out and test those adjustments outside of the SM?

edit: I originally wrote that the sub-bright changes were lost, when actuality changes were made, they were just different outside the SM.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

PS...I'm considering a professional calibration in the very near future and am considering either Lion AV (Dan Miller) or ISF TV (Kevin Miller). Can anyone give me any feedback on these gentlemen and/or these companies?

Both are among the very best in the industry.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicPenguin View Post

I have a PZ700U and it seems you are right. While in the service menu adjustments to contrast did not seem to do anything, while adjustment to sub-bright changes were dramatically different when outside the service menu. Is this normal? It seemed like the user modes did some sort of low level processing that changed it quite a bit when not in service menu. Do you simply have to make minor adjustments to the sub bright, then go out and test those adjustments outside of the SM?

edit: I originally wrote that the sub-bright changes were lost, when actuality changes were made, they were just different outside the SM.

"Is this normal?" Well, it's normal for an awful lot of Panasonic models. There are a LOT of other brands that manage to make the service menu the same as the user mode so when you make adjustments while inside the service menu, they are correct when you return to the user mode. Combined with having to get up to press the volume control on the TV to enter the service menu and you have a real annoying situation.

Some people create an "offset" table they can use to make measurements while inside the service menu (and some pro software will assist you with doing this). It sort of works, but at the end you still have to do measuremets in user mode and go back to the service menu and make final adjustments (perhaps a few times). Not messing with an "offset table" your best approach is to make a suite of measurements, deside what adjustments need to be made in the service menu, make all the adjustments, exit th service menu, make another set of measurements... repeat as often as necessary.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #15 of 16 Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It could get even more annoying. Imagine if the Panasonic reset all your user settings every time you come out of service, like Samsung.

Then it would be: write down settings, measure, adjust in service, exit service, reset all settings, rinse and repeat.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Doug, regarding the tools used by a BB. The stores P&L determines which tools they will have at their disposal. Most stores, if not all have the budget in their P&L for a spectroradiometer of up to $35,000.00. Problem is, if anything were to happen to that device, and they have no room in their budget for another one, while the higher end one is being repaired of replaced, they are stuck with using a much more inferior device. But it really does revolve around the size, production, and budget of that given location.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page