DVE on HD-DVD ships - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who have been waiting for the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials, Amazon just sent me a notice indicating that it has finally shipped. Mine should be here in time for the weekend.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Good! I need those patterns for my 360....
post #3 of 64 Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I also just got an e-mail from Amazon. Good news.
post #4 of 64 Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM

I got mine today, and I'm having problems with the HD side on the xbox 360.

The audio section of the disc seems to work okay, but when It seems to lock up when I go to the video menu?

Anyone else have their disc yet and a xbox 360 w/ hd drive that can confirm it's not just my disc?

Thanks.
post #5 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Amazon just sent me another request that I approve another delay -- this time until June!
Did you guys really get a shipping confirmation and/or disc from Amazon?
post #6 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Yes, I really have it... It did ship, and it's in my hands. I am having problems using the HD side of the disc though.

Joe
post #7 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmer62 View Post

Yes, I really have it... It did ship...

From Amazon?
post #8 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
I keep getting the same form Amazon even though I ordered back in Oct06 so I cancel the order and placed it with Robert @ VE he said he would have plenty in stock so everyone should get one.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #9 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Got mine today. Haven't tested it yet, though. Tonight I'm sitting through as much of Dr. Zhivago as I can stand (good movie, but LONG...).

Bill

post #10 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's incompatible with the hd-dvd 360 player I'm out.
post #11 of 64 Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Yes, I ordered it from Amazon. My purchase date was October 24, 2006. I had to confirm my order 6 times because of Delays. Don't know if it's just my disc not working right with the 360, or if it's the title itself. I do know that Microsoft can update the software, so if it is something they can fix, there is a possibility it will be fixed. They have updated the HD software once that I remember.

Joe
post #12 of 64 Old 04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I talked with the primary distributor yesterday. They also use a sub-contract distributor in another state. The sub-contractor received 10,000 units and must be the ones supplying Amazon. The primary, DVD Int'l, is in New Jersey and got flooded in the recent storm. Roads and bridges were blocked and their shipment from the pressing plant was delayed. They began shipping to their dealers on Friday. I got a dealer sample in the mail today and my initial order will arrive on Tuesday via 2 Day Air. My review sample hasn't even been opened yet, so I don't have a usability report.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #13 of 64 Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmer62 View Post

I got mine today, and I'm having problems with the HD side on the xbox 360.

I just got mine and I'm having the same problem. Very annoying.
post #14 of 64 Old 04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried mine on my Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 notebook HD DVD drive. It would not load the program properly. I checked for driver/software/firmware updates and downloaded a couple of patches. Now it works fine.

I was sent two other HD DVD programs by DVD Int'l that also would not work properly until the patches were installed. So, it wasn't just 'DVE' that wouldn't play right. Other HD DVD programs have played alright in the recent past. I'll report in if I encounter any difficulties with dedicated HD DVD players. I don't have the XBox 360 rig.
post #15 of 64 Old 04-22-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the patches was due to an AACS security update. As I think more about this issue I'm reminded of the recent news that someone had hacked part of the copy protection on HD DVDs. This may have precipitated a change in the AACS encoding on these new HD DVD titles. Could this change have rendered them unplayable on the WinDVD drive or the 360 drive? Perhaps an update patch is indeed needed on the XBox player.
post #16 of 64 Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I also got the same behavior on the XBOX360 HD drive: This disc will play the audio sections and the demonstration material, but the video calibration menus are inoperable. That makes the disc worthless. I e-mailed Joe Kane Productions for advice, but will return the disc if it's just not going to work.

I have about every version of Video Essentials/DVE/A Video Standard, dating back to LaserDisc. It's a valuable resource. I hope there's an easy solution for this HD version.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #17 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

From a cursory examination, the disc plays fine in my XA2. I will say that the new menu functionality really makes this disc much, much more user friendly than the old DVE (I haven't checked to see if the SD side is still the same). Patterns are explained clearly in the menus, and they are grouped in a much more logical fashion (so far -- this is still a preliminary view).

For the conspiracy theorists out there: One odd perspective I had, though, was on the Shuttle launch sequence in the former montage of images (now with breaks between vignettes). There was one shot, with the Atlantis in flight that looked postively animated. Very odd. I'll have to go back to the original to see how it compares, but a couple of the long shots post-launch looked computer-generated to me. Too funny.

Bill

post #18 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Bear5K, Could you give the SD version a quick check and report on it, as to better or same as old version? I am still waiting on Amazon, ordered in January, last expected date is June.
post #19 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post

Bear5K, Could you give the SD version a quick check and report on it, as to better or same as old version? I am still waiting on Amazon, ordered in January, last expected date is June.

Sorry, but I'm away on a business trip. I'll be back home with my HT gear for the weekend, but I did not bring the disc along for the plane ride. I just don't like watching test patterns enough, I guess. Maybe someone else besides me who has it handy can report?

Bill

post #20 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Bear5k,

I had worked on the edit of the HD DVE program and I do not believe we made any changes to the shuttle sequence, though we did make some changes to the montage of images, including re-rendering out some graphics that caused a single frame of color bars to appear...oops

While the navigation was not as easy as JKP would have liked, it was what was able to be accomplished given how new the format is. We hope that with newer players the navigation will process more quickly. These early players are still somewhat slow.

Best,

Dave
post #21 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I also got the same behavior on the XBOX360 HD drive: This disc will play the audio sections and the demonstration material, but the video calibration menus are inoperable. That makes the disc worthless. I e-mailed Joe Kane Productions for advice, but will return the disc if it's just not going to work.

I have about every version of Video Essentials/DVE/A Video Standard, dating back to LaserDisc. It's a valuable resource. I hope there's an easy solution for this HD version.

The fix is in the HD DVD software update.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10365117
post #22 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM

DVE DISC!!!

I'm trying to rent this on NETFLIX.. this disc has been in "long availability" forever!

lol whoever has it on this forum please use it and give others a chance to calibrate! lol
post #23 of 64 Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

For the conspiracy theorists out there: One odd perspective I had, though, was on the Shuttle launch sequence in the former montage of images (now with breaks between vignettes). There was one shot, with the Atlantis in flight that looked postively animated. Very odd. I'll have to go back to the original to see how it compares, but a couple of the long shots post-launch looked computer-generated to me. Too funny.

Bill

That's just more proof that man never landed on the moon, the earth is flat, and that all of this space stuff is nothing more than a propoganda campaign by the government.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
2006 WSOP Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament: 6th Place
Brillian Discrete IR Codes
post #24 of 64 Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Abrams View Post

Bear5k,

I had worked on the edit of the HD DVE program and I do not believe we made any changes to the shuttle sequence, though we did make some changes to the montage of images, including re-rendering out some graphics that caused a single frame of color bars to appear...oops

While the navigation was not as easy as JKP would have liked, it was what was able to be accomplished given how new the format is. We hope that with newer players the navigation will process more quickly. These early players are still somewhat slow.

Best,

Dave

Dave - Compared to the original, the new menus are night-and-day better. The explanatory text is also a much welcome addition. So far, this seems to be a very good disc. I need to figure out where in my signal chain the BTB and WTW information went, but I suspect that's in either my HD-XA2 or in my Receiver, before it gets to my LCD (didn't fire up the projector for this test).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post

That's just more proof that man never landed on the moon, the earth is flat, and that all of this space stuff is nothing more than a propoganda campaign by the government.

Exactly!

Bill

post #25 of 64 Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Bill,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new version of the program. Certain patterns were also updated as they need to be recreated in their native HD format for accuracy. For example, you'll notice that the new Reverse Gray Ramps with Steps, or Cross Ramps, appears much cleaner than when upconverted from an SD DVD player. We also put it out of phase so that if the display has a significant amount of overscan the extreme ends may still be seen.

Good Pictures!

Dave
post #26 of 64 Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
I just got HD-DVE also and it's excellent overall. I wish Joe would hv put the contast pattern and brightness pattern (pluge) right next to each other. Brightness and Contrast is the first thing we do everytime, could hv saved some frustration. Still the job can be done. I tested the Toshiba HD-A1 against the Accupel and found the Toshiba outputs DVI-PC black level (7.5IRE) out of it's HDMI output. Calibrators that don't have a reference generator would be interested in that tidbit.

Nice job on the DVD for sure, love the image sequences and it's way faster to use over the old SD version.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #27 of 64 Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I tested the Toshiba HD-A1 against the Accupel and found the Toshiba outputs DVI-PC black level (7.5IRE) out of it's HDMI output. Calibrators that don't have a reference generator would be interested in that tidbit.

Tom - Not to involve you in an ongoing issue, but "IRE" has nothing to do with "HDMI". You are confusing an analog labeling issue with the analog output voltage. The black level issue is much less of a concern than the how the intervening grayscale points line up vs. what the calibration software is expecting.

Bill

post #28 of 64 Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Heh Heh, tell that to Greg Rodgers he links up DVI-PC with analog 7.5 on page 5 of his Accupel Manual. He links DVI-Video also, states

RGB/DVI-Video- The analog RGB and DVI-VIdeo modes are selected.
The black level is set to 0-IRE.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #29 of 64 Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

The absurdly complex menu system and endless blather on this disk will make it a waste of time and money for most people.
post #30 of 64 Old 04-28-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedees View Post

The absurdly complex menu system and endless blather on this disk will make it a waste of time and money for most people.

Maybe I am just so happy about the improvements vs. the original. Did you not like the explanatory text?

My only gripe on the disc, really, is that it is missing a full complement of grayscale windows, so you can't use it for doing a full calibration. Beyond that, I think it is much improved.

Bill

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page