Need help picking Eye Glass Lenses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, first post. tried searching and can't find info. Mods please move to appropriate section if i posted wrong.

I am hoping someone here can give me good imput on new lenses for my eye glasses....i wear them 24/7, and i am infront of my pc / 1080i most of the day. no bifocals needed. tinting when i go outdoors would be cool. glass is not too heavy for me.
i am worried any coatings will scratch/peel off like they always do on my lenses.
any info would be appreciated! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not sure how many folks in this particular forum have any expertise in calibrating eyeballs....
post #3 of 13 Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ummm this is an Audio/Video forum, you might want to try your local Walmart Optical center.

My Website
post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

looking at the 50 views this thread has gotten, it's fair to say some forum users wear glasses.
i would appreciate any input related to their opinions of different lenses and their video visual experiences.
thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
I recall there was an eye doc that made a post on this in the front PJ forum within the last year - don't remember much more than that. But it seems any good optometrist would know such things - are you buying glasses at wallyworld?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Liked: 15
Yes there were some threads about this but I can't find them at the moment. Talk to a good optomitrist, I would avoid the chain-type stores that you find at most malls. There are lots and lots of lens options out there, you should have a good long talk and discuss all the possibilities.

I have not liked the transitions lenses, they have a subtle tint to them which bothers me because I'm picky about that kind of thing (accurate greyscales for instance). If you have bad vision (like me), there isn't really too great a way to get around chromatic shifting and barrel distortion, that's what really bugs me and I've not found a good solution to that since you just have to go with a high index material or your glasses will weigh a billion tons.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou Chris.
Most places downtown seattle are all wallys world or lens crafters selling their own lens addons.
the transition comment Chris made is the most helpful info i've gotten from chats with in store sales reps.
direct marketing..reminds me of a digg post today
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Sorry if it feels like I'm hijacking the thread. I've been looking for somewhere to share my recent experiences with glasses and my home theater. I know it doesn't apply to your case (no bifocals, etc) but for those bifocal users that might read this thread:

I've complained for years about "reflections" from my glasses. Tried coated and non coated with little significant differences.

I recently had eye surgery (long story) and again needed a new prescription. Decided to get two pair of glasses - one trifocal, the other single vision. The main reason was that my previous trifocals were annoying when tilted back in my recliner watching my front projection system - glasses were slid way down my nose to keep the trifocal lines out of the image.

The single lense glasses are MUCH better! I'm now of the opinion that reflections or defraction off the trifocal lines were causing most of the problems. The problems are nearly gone with the single lense glasses.

FWIW, I'm also thinking that there's not much difference between the $500+ glasses I recently got through the opthamologist and the $200 pair from Costco.

Gary A.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post

FWIW, I'm also thinking that there's not much difference between the $500+ glasses I recently got through the opthamologist and the $200 pair from Costco.

There should not be any, if:
1) The doctors doing the eye exam determined the need for the same prescription. (duh! You would hopefully be able to expect this)
2) You chose the same lenses. There are only a few manufacturers and basically all stores carry their products. Doctor should be able to recommend appropriate lenses, coatings, etc. most suitable for computer work or watching TV in your environment.
3) You chose the same frames. More manufacturers; but once again the main ones are carried in many stores. By the way, the markup is 5-10 times cost.
4) The technician knows how to measure your face and the lab accurately grinds the selected lens to fit the specific frame (controlled by computers in many labs).

This stuff isn't nuclear physics.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0balt View Post

looking at the 50 views this thread has gotten, it's fair to say some forum users wear glasses.

most likely out of curiousity..i know i was..
again this forum has nothing to do with eyeglasses or pc's.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 AM

I wear glass lenses with an anti reflective coating exclusively in my theater. They offer the purest optical quality with little chromatic abberation. If theater only lenses are not an option, Trivex lenses with an AR coating would be my second choice. They are a perfect all around lens offering near glass like optics, UV protection, superior scratch resistance, in the lightest material available.

I've made my living for the last 10 years selling glasses.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

for as well known as this forum is, and all the rgb hdmi etc etc specifics yall are into....u don't calibrate eye wear?
post #13 of 13 Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Try the newsgroup:
sci.med.vision

Kevin
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page