calibration of hs20 using Avia - crushed blacks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi everyone. i just used my Avia disc to calibrate by hs20 sony projector. i really like the results but i have a bit of a problem. i used the setup technique in the article here where it lists a 5 minute approach for Avia:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/V...libration.html

i followed it the best that i could, but one problem that i noticed is that even with the contrast set to "max" on my projector, the moving vertical bar in the white level screen (to adjust contrast) couldn't be made visible (which it states that it should be minimally visible).

at the end of the article it describes a way to check your setup using the "crossed step scale". it said that there should be 11 different bands of white to black. i could only get 10, with a wide black band at the ends (in other words the final 2 black bands "banded" together).

Now i do notice a big difference in the quality of the image (watched the first ice age and the spy who loved me and i saw a difference in quality in both), but i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to change this. the hs20 has specific settings which i fooled around with to no avail. here they are:

iris control - turned both on and off
lamp - set it up with both high and low
black level - had at both off (ie no special processing), low and high.

any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulper View Post

even with the contrast set to "max" on my projector, the moving vertical bar in the white level screen (to adjust contrast) couldn't be made visible (which it states that it should be minimally visible).l

You are apparently going in the direction - turn the contrast DOWN till you see the bar - and neither the bar nor the screen have any coloration.

Dave Hancock
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page