HD-A2 Calibration Problem with DVE for HD-DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After lurking for about a year and trying to soak up as much info as I could from these forums, I finally need to post for help.

I just purchased the HD-A2 and have it hooked up to a Sharp LC37D43U via HDMI. I bought the HD-DVD DVE Calibration disc and jumped right into the SD tutorial. I got as far as color calibration (Title 12 Chap 6) before I came across a problem.

I can adjust the color to get the blue to be a very good match using the provided color filter. The red is also very close to being "true" as far as I can tell using just my eyes. However, my green channel is so far off, it's unbelievable. I am seeing gray boxes where they should be green. I tried adjusting the color to get the green to match up while ignoring blue and red, but I can't even get that to work.

I assumed that I had an equipment defect until I stumbled across a blurb in the DVE calibration manual (p45) which says:

"In our intital look at this disc on early generations of HD-DVD players we are finding the HDMI digital output of the players clip dynamic range significantly below the video white level in the green channel, let alone loosing the above white. We are not seeing similar clipping in the red and blue channels. The information is not clipped on the analog outputs of the payers"

So here are a couple of questions I am hoping a can get help with:

1 - Has anyone else experienced problems calibrating the green channel of the HD-A2 using the SD version of DVE for HD-DVD?

2 - If I reconnect the HD-DVD to the LCD via component and find that I am able to calibrate the green channel properly (I have not done this yet), does this confirm that the player is clipping the green channel in the HDMI signal, or are there other decoding differences that might mean the problem lies elsewhere?

3 - Assuming that the player is clipping the green channel in the HDMI, is it possible for even a professional to improve the green performance of the LCD using the service menu, or is the loss of data impossible to overcome?

4 - If I still cannot calibrate the green channel using component video, does this indicate that the LCD is most likely the culprite, or is the decoding all performed in the player?

I am not a videophile by any stretch of the imagination, but with the blue channel calibrated properly, the greens in SD images look very dull. If I have to go back to component video (and lose the ability to upconvert SD discs) I may decide to return this player for an upconverting SD player until higher-end HD players come down in price a little further.

I appreciate the help!

Edit: Attached are pictures from my digital camera through the color filter provided with the DVD HD-DVD
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Make sure you have the latest firmware update for your player.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Update:

I have confirmed that the problem also exists using component video into the LCD, so I am fairly certain that the problem is the LCD itself.

I have the latest version of firmware (1.6) for the HD-A2, and I also tried to calibrate using the HD-DVD side of the DVE disc. The same problem exists.

So, is this problem fixable, or do I have to live with what I have?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It may be adjustable by a knowledgeable calibrator. Try changing the output resolution on the player to 480P and check the color again on both HDMI and component inputs. If green is OK there, chances are that it can be corrected for the HD resolution you are using as well. If green is still bad, this might indicate a problem with attenuation of green within the TV (or player) which may or may not be adjustable to your satisfaction.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Liked: 13
Have you looked at the same pattern on the HD side of the disc? The tint in your blues looks fine, but the color is a little high. The red also needs to be toned down to match the background red. The green tint is not balanced (outer two blocks) and the green color (third block) is too high. If you have adjustments to bring those individual items in line (maybe in the service menu), everything will become balanced.