Need Help w/Color Bars Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
During my SBE training 6 years ago, I was taught how to set up color bars using the waveform and vectorscope. However, I am interested in learning more about how to setup a program's color while the actual program is on air, without the use of color bars.

Perhaps you have some documentation on this or recommend a book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantheory View Post

During my SBE training 6 years ago, I was taught how to set up color bars using the waveform and vectorscope. However, I am interested in learning more about how to setup a program’s color while the actual program is on air, without the use of color bars.

Perhaps you have some documentation on this or recommend a book.

Quick n' dirty method:

1.Lower all settings(except Tint) to their minimum(If your's is a panel with a backlight - lower it to the mid-point or 50 - backlights do NOT belong at 90 or 100!!).
2.Shut off all "Digital NR, Auto-contrast, auto color, Vivid mode, etc."
3.Set color temperature to neutral or warm/low.
4.Get a good black & white picture going with first the Brightness(black level) and then Contrast(peak white). You'll add the color later! Brightness controls whether or not you can make out fans under the upper deck in the shade at Yankee Stadium or just a black space, not the overall brightness of the picture. Contrast controls white - white but not blindingly so.
5.Put up some stationary text or graphics, then raise up the sharpness control just until you see changes occurring to the edges of text or graphics. Back sharpness off a hair before that change point. You'll be shocked at how low this setting ends up!
6.(the one you've been waiting for!!):DSlowly raise the color until people, places, & things look like they do in real life. View different channels & video sources until you reach a reasonable compromise. The grass on the field should look like grass - not a highlighter nightmare. Human skin is not red or orange except on Halloween. Final color setting may be well below midpoint.
7.Write down your settings! Your display will not be as bright as before, but then again the TV not a JFK runway beacon ,and your house is not BestBuy.

Nobody else on here will condone nor suggest this method, but it WILL WORK until you get HD DVE or HD Avia or Getgray.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
For brightness levels - good trick is set your source for 4:3 and your display to 4:3 - when viewing letterboxed media. Make the pillarbox black levels match the letterbox black levels. This only works if your brightness controls are for the input video source - it will not work for the displays master brightness control. If you cannot find a letterbox broadcast - find a blacked out station not in your subscription.

For white levels - find a station broadcasting near whites and vary the control until you can see whites are clipping. This will work even if the broadcast itself has clipped whites - as long as there are some near whites. You really need a freeze frame or PVR to do this right - then ask yourself is the freeze frame itself clipping whites even though the live broadcast was not.

For color - bananas are yellow and so is McDonalds arches. Might be hard to find a banana ad - but McDonald ads are a million served.

Don't drive yourself batty when you realize the broadcast engineers did the same thing you are doing - and realize they all have different tastes and training levels and tweak the controls like they were salt and pepper or hot dog and mustard condiments. Even if you get the calibration DVD's you cannot broadcast those - so you are stuck eyeballing it for broadcasts - unless you happen to catch a station broadcasting a test pattern. Just realize that test pattern broadcast really is only for that channel at that time - not another time or another channel. And how do you know if the broadcast engineers are broadcasting a test pattern simply because the station managers did not sell informercial time in that early AM slot - and thus they could care less if the broadcast of the test pattern - was actually calibrated itself!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

For color - bananas are yellow and so is McDonalds arches. Might be hard to find a banana ad - but McDonald ads are a million served.

Don't drive yourself batty when you realize the broadcast engineers did the same thing you are doing - and realize they all have different tastes and training levels and tweak the controls like they were salt and pepper or hot dog and mustard condiments. Even if you get the calibration DVD's you cannot broadcast those - so you are stuck eyeballing it for broadcasts - unless you happen to catch a station broadcasting a test pattern. Just realize that test pattern broadcast really is only for that channel at that time - not another time or another channel. And how do you know if the broadcast engineers are broadcasting a test pattern simply because the station managers did not sell informercial time in that early AM slot - and thus they could care less if the broadcast of the test pattern - was actually calibrated itself!

Excellent advice. Thanks! Recently tired a simple cure to tone down long-time red push with my year-2000 CRT RPTV (a 1-dB attenuator for the Pr component input). That finally did away with the slightly purple dark blues I've seen in clothing such as the recent Presidents Cups golf shirts I DVRed. But getting back to a satisfactory setting for all user controls, and not having 'strange' coloring in some clothing or flesh tones, is an on-going project three days after the red-push attempted fix.

All the fluctuations between Rec. 601 colors from my cable STB 480i upconversions to 1080i, true 1080i, and various ads and programming, is making it difficult to believe I'll ever get it 'just right' again. My earlier tint setting for quite realistic flesh tones was full-green, while the 1-dB attenuator permits a setting about midway to a 50% setting (at ~25%). Tried using HDNet's 1080i color bars and my Avia SD blue filter, but I've always used such setups as only a starting point. Doubt if trying the Avia's longer procedures will help much. (My set's service menu isn't accessible at the moment due to a malfunction, likely something I loosened during a recent optics cleaning.) Guess I should use the Avia to check whether the Pb input attenuation corrected the -20% red decoding bar error I measured years ago. -- John
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page