Need help to color calibrate a Sony Bravia LCD, TIA! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned Sony Bravia 52" XBR3 LCD now for a little over one year. I assumed my colors were spot on and everything visually looked correct. That was until I was playing a friend online with xbox 360 and we had a conversation about the colors of an object in the game we were playing. Oddly, enough I said something was pinkish and they said it was dark red. This was an indicator to me immediately that my color might be off. I spoke to a few others and they all confirmed this. It strikes me as odd that dark red would show up as pink, this would indicate my screen is heavily washed out... however everything looks vibrant and my dark to light contrast seems amazing?!?

Can anyone recommend a color calibration solution that works for LCD screens. Perhaps in a blu ray format (not really required) I have heard there is a couple of the "go to" calibration dvd's from years past ("Digital Video Essentials" and "AVIA") but they fall short for this modern generation cause they have you adjusting things that arnt really important in hdtv's and you are forced to sit there through all the menus. I was curious if anyone has an HDTV or LCD color calibration dvd (or hi def) disc they can recommend. I figured I'd ask here cause my google just keeps turning up the norm... "Digital Video Essentials" and "AVIA".. are these 2 really the only ones worth buying? Does blu ray get left out in the cold on HD calibration discs, cause I only see a HD DVD flavor of essentials?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bravia's For lack of a better work F* with color. They sell it as a feature. Unless you turn off all of the image enhancement features (some of which are hidden behind the mainenance mode) you could calibrate your screen using many of the tools and patterns out there only to find that it was still wrong.

In some cases this doesn't matter as much as it could and others it does. The Bravia does weird things to skin tones that make people look a bit more tan they are, and "enhances" their lips and blush. What is really impressive is the color matrix actually weighs how much enhancement to give based on the surrounding colors. So a test pattern may test right and your image still be wrong.

Brandon Wirtz
www.xyhd.tv/slates
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page