post #271 of 4034 Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Well I, for one, do have brightness above 50, I know what I am doing, and I use pro tools (though brightness does not need to be measured).

I keep saying EVERY SET IS DIFFERENT!

True. My XBR4 (which is highly regarded for it's black levels for an LCD) is set at 55 or 57 I believe. I have the backlight pretty low, though, and power saving helps out.

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4034 Old 01-13-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

ok i exaggerated its not exactly gray at 60 but no jet black like at 40. if you check the 5271 thread you will find all of the calibrations posted never go above 50 brightness on this set, even ones where people used pro tools.

I don't know anything about your set. I just know that the pattern is accurate. As Dave stated, you don't need tools to set brightness, just a good pattern and some knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #273 of 4034 Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM

I burnt the DVD and popped it in my PS3 and now...I'm LOST!

Could somebody explain, to a complete idiot mind you, which tests do you adjust brightness, tint, sharpness, color, etc. Basically, a step by step breakdown!

Is that what this DVD is for or is this something totally different?
post #274 of 4034 Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikin23 View Post

I burnt the DVD and popped it in my PS3 and now...I'm LOST!

Could somebody explain, to a complete idiot mind you, which tests do you adjust brightness, tint, sharpness, color, etc. Basically, a step by step breakdown!

Is that what this DVD is for or is this something totally different?

AVS HD isn't really geared toward beginners, but we have made some effort to make it easy to use for beginners. Start by reading the first post in this thread. There are also some good links at the bottom of that post. If you have questions after that, feel free to ask.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #275 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 AM

I can't get this to dowload - all I get it a download.php file ...
post #276 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have no idea what the .php would be. This computer wasn't used for creating any of the downloads, and when I click the yellow download button from the link it works as expected.

post #277 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I have no idea what the .php would be. This computer wasn't used for creating any of the downloads, and when I click the yellow download button from the link it works as expected.

I tried to download with Free Download Manager and for some reason this would not work. Got it to work with the Windows Download feature ... THANKS!
post #278 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM

Can the HD-DVD version of the .exe file be burnt in iso format to a CD or CDR and still work the same? Or does if have to be a DVD disk? I know my A3 can read CDR because thats how I do firmware updates.
post #279 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm almost sure the disk size exceeds CD size. The disk is just intended to never go larger than single-layer DVD size so that it can be burned with the cheap $30 burners that have been available for a few years.

post #280 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 AM

guys im using a 720p set.. sony m300.. will this be useful to me if im ..lookin to get the best picture from my tv. .. i have ps3 and no real testing equipment. i want my set to be calibrated as much as it can be without spending money for it

On a island with millions... Thurston Howl

PSN- JGeezy
post #281 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezy View Post

guys im using a 720p set.. sony m300.. will this be useful to me if im ..lookin to get the best picture from my tv. .. i have ps3 and no real testing equipment. i want my set to be calibrated as much as it can be without spending money for it

All of the patterns should work just as well for 720p as 1080p, except for the last 3 patterns in the Misc. section. Those patterns are per-pixel type patterns, so they won't work well for 720p.

Tom who?
post #282 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

All of the patterns should work just as well for 720p as 1080p, except for the last 3 patterns in the Misc. section. Those patterns are per-pixel type patterns, so they won't work well for 720p.

thank i will try this out

PSN- JGeezy
post #283 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM

i need help..i put the iso file on a dvd rw and when i put it on the ps3 it says there are no titles. can some one help me with this. what am i doing wrong

edit.. im using nero 8

PSN- JGeezy
post #284 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's sort of a pain to find in Nero. If you have the full version, open the burning rom, then go to "burn image" under one of the windows pull-down menus. Imgburn is far easier to use if you haven't burned an iso before.

Here's something that google returned for some different programs, but I don't know how good that it is.
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

post #285 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

It's sort of a pain to find in Nero. If you have the full version, open the burning rom, then go to "burn image" under one of the windows pull-down menus. Imgburn is far easier to use if you haven't burned an iso before.

Here's something that google returned for some different programs, but I don't know how good that it is.
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

thanxs alot for your help

PSN- JGeezy
post #286 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Problem here. I've downloaded both files, the HD DVD Beta2.exe file and the HD DVD Beta2.7z file and I can not get either one to burn to a DVD. Anyone else report any problems?? I've tried using DeepBurner and ImgBurn and neither one will burn the DVD. My burner works just fine as I've tried other disks. I'm using brand new Memorex DVD+R disks and I'm tired of making coasters. Any ideas?
post #287 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM

@ alluringreality.. I got the disc to work on the ps3.. now is each test in basic settings the same test but different ways to adjust black levels? example is Black clipping pattern and Average picture level black and white. the same test. also if i follow steps in number 1 to dertermin black levels will i need to do test number 2.

i hope what i wrote made sense

PSN- JGeezy
post #288 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick View Post

Problem here. I've downloaded both files, the HD DVD Beta2.exe file and the HD DVD Beta2.7z file and I can not get either one to burn to a DVD. Anyone else report any problems?? I've tried using DeepBurner and ImgBurn and neither one will burn the DVD. My burner works just fine as I've tried other disks. I'm using brand new Memorex DVD+R disks and I'm tired of making coasters. Any ideas?

There are other reports of problems burning disks, but nothing that I've been able to determine is repeatable. Odds are that using another computer and and not burning at maximum speed would get a playable disk. If that still didn't work, then I'd try some other brand disk. Generally I've encountered very few problems ever burning DVDs so I'm not necessarily great at troubleshooting such things.

post #289 of 4034 Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezy View Post

is each test in basic settings the same test but different ways to adjust black levels? example is Black clipping pattern and Average picture level black and white. the same test. also if i follow steps in number 1 to dertermin black levels will i need to do test number 2.

Mostly the second pattern is there to check the first. Basically the first pattern is easier to use than the second. So the idea is to take black level as low as possible where 17 is still flashing on the first pattern. Then look at the second and see if you can still see the grays flash. If you can still see the dark grays flashing on the second then you're probably good to go. If you can't see the grays flashing on the second then turn up black level until you can and then use that setting.

post #290 of 4034 Old 01-18-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Shouldn't this thread be a sticky so folks looking for the free calibration discs can find it easy?
post #291 of 4034 Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, why isn't this sticky?
BTW, great effort guys!

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #292 of 4034 Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM

post #293 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Hi,
I'm brand new to this stuff and was gratefull to find this free calibration dvd to mess with before calling in the pros when I find the place I'll be settled into for a while. The only thing is that the webpage with the download will not show. I don't know if this is cause of my Norton Security package or that this site is down for now. If anyone can help me out on getting this download I would greatly appreciate it. I just want my set to be as close to NTSC standards as possible for High Definition.

Lou
post #294 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega14 View Post

Hi,
I'm brand new to this stuff and was gratefull to find this free calibration dvd to mess with before calling in the pros when I find the place I'll be settled into for a while. The only thing is that the webpage with the download will not show. I don't know if this is cause of my Norton Security package or that this site is down for now. If anyone can help me out on getting this download I would greatly appreciate it. I just want my set to be as close to NTSC standards as possible for High Definition.

Lou

I just checked it and it looks like the site might be down. Give it a few hours and report back if it is still down.

Tom who?
post #295 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick View Post

Bump
post #296 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

dhornick,

Do you have access to another burner or a different batch of disks?
post #297 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

dhornick,

Do you have access to another burner or a different batch of disks?

No other burner, Would have to go get some more new disks. These are brand new Memorex disks
post #298 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Odd. I'm burned mine onto Memorex (a couple years old) +R discs and both have played fine in an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on and a PS3.

I burned the discs on my laptops DVD burner.
post #299 of 4034 Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Burned for Blu-ray (PS3) using Alcohol 120% (latest update).

Worked.
post #300 of 4034 Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

This calibration DVD really helped me fine tune the black levels on my JVC RS1. The settings I got from Avia were off compared to using the two black level patterns. In other words, when I watched movies after calibrating with Avia, I could see a loss of shadow detail. After I calibrated using the DVD, I checked the results on a number of scenes that I use as benchmarks. These are scenes that I have never been able to get quite right, but with the good black levels of the RS1 and the patterns on this disc, I was able to get them just right.

Thanks to the developers.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page