post #3061 of 3986 Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It's been a long time since I bought mine, but the quoted shipping price was wrong; it was more like $2.50 at checkout. Try initiating a purchase and see what the real value is once you are ready to buy.

-Bill

Ok I will try because it's only giving me an option for UPS shipping.

Nope total order still comes to $14.91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3986 Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Where can I get the blue filter glasses from? Thx wants like $14 for them.. Well they are like $1.99 but the shipping is crazy for something like that...

Ask to a local photographic store for a Kodak Deep Blue Tricolor #47B filter, but i think that is more expensive, or get the DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray Disk, it will give you a red,green,blue filter inside the case.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3063 of 3986 Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Liked: 10
So I burned the AVS709HD to a disc and I play it to my PS3 to calibrate my tv. I have a question if anybody can help me.

So when I calibrate my LCD TV (Samsung LN40D503) using the AVS709HD, do I put it under STANDARD, MOVIE, OR SPORTS? Or is there a specific calibration to each?

Thank you for your help.
post #3064 of 3986 Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoJim View Post

So I burned the AVS709HD to a disc and I play it to my PS3 to calibrate my tv. I have a question if anybody can help me.

So when I calibrate my LCD TV (Samsung LN40D503) using the AVS709HD, do I put it under STANDARD, MOVIE, OR SPORTS? Or is there a specific calibration to each?

Thank you for your help.

The general rule is to go with Movie.
post #3065 of 3986 Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM

I have 2 question :
1- In pattern B1 - Flashing Primary Colors. There're 2 secondary colors at the top and bottom of each primary color bar, do we use them to adjust primary colour's tint? (Magenta/Cyan for Blue' tint)

2- I use PC to calibrate my HDTV( through HDMI cable) to watch television mostly, which settings in the ATI catalyst driver should I choose:
a. Limited RGB (16-235) Pixel Format and video Dynamic range 16-235. Or:
b. Full Range RGB (0-255) Pixel Format and video Dynamic range 16-235
In PC mode, black level Low by defauft (adjustable) when watching cable television it's Auto and greyed out.
post #3066 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

So... anyone want to send me a Blue Ray disc already burned for 25 bucks?
post #3067 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post

PM me with details.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #3068 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM

I hope this hasn't been asked before but can I calibrate my plasma but mounting the image on my computer and displaying it through HDMI? Is this any kind of ok or feasible?. I only own an Xbox. I mainly stream or download, I have virtually no use for a player anymore
post #3069 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

It will fit on a single layer DVD. Can you burn one of those yourself? Else some players support the AVCHD version on a USB stick.

-Bill
post #3070 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by siqniz View Post

I hope this hasn't been asked before but can I calibrate my plasma but mounting the image on my computer and displaying it through HDMI? Is this any kind of ok or feasible?. I only own an Xbox. I mainly stream or download, I have virtually no use for a player anymore

Generally the idea is to play the calibration video with the same device that you will use for playing other video. If you use the Xbox for playing video, then you would also use it for playing calibration video. The Xbox plays the MP4 video after an online update.
post #3071 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

I have 2 question :
1- In pattern B1 - Flashing Primary Colors. There're 2 secondary colors at the top and bottom of each primary color bar, do we use them to adjust primary colour's tint? (Magenta/Cyan for Blue' tint)

Yes, in an ideal display with an ideal filter that's the way it would work. Personally I don't have much faith in the accuracy of color filters on various digital displays. My point is that you may be better off leaving tint at the default setting if all you have are color filters. A color filter built into the display may or may not be better than typical blue filters (the Samsung blue mode measurements I've seen have looked good).

Quote:

2- I use PC to calibrate my HDTV( through HDMI cable) to watch television mostly, which settings in the ATI catalyst driver should I choose:
a. Limited RGB (16-235) Pixel Format and video Dynamic range 16-235. Or:
b. Full Range RGB (0-255) Pixel Format and video Dynamic range 16-235
In PC mode, black level Low by defauft (adjustable) when watching cable television it's Auto and greyed out.

Assuming that the 'television' signal uses typical video levels, you would want to feed the TV calibration video with a similar signal that's also at typical video levels. If you only have one device, especially if it's a computer, it's difficult to say for sure what levels you're outputting. I've seen ATI driver issues that cause the same settings to output different levels depending on the type of video (mp4 and mpeg2 didn't match). Basically what I do is to compare the output of different video players to get an idea what sort of levels a device is outputting. In theory a comparison is essentially what calibrators should be doing when they use a signal generator for calibrating other devices.

If I want to output video levels from my computer I leave the desktop at 0-255 and force the video player to retain video levels. Like I said I also have other devices that I can use for comparison. I would guess option 'b' would relate to what I use, but if you cannot answer this general question for yourself you may need better feedback elsewhere. Since I do think many people are interested in trying to use one device to calibrate other devices, it wouldn't hurt to try starting a thread on the topic to better cover some of the potential issues with such an approach.
post #3072 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:

It will fit on a single layer DVD. Can you burn one of those yourself? Else some players support the AVCHD version on a USB stick.

-Bill

Well, yes, I can burn DVDs, but I was under the impression you'd best use high def media for high def calibration... is this not correct?
post #3073 of 3986 Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, yes, I can burn DVDs, but I was under the impression you'd best use high def media for high def calibration... is this not correct?

No, it would make no difference. It's the same data regardless of media.

-Bill
post #3074 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Yes, in an ideal display with an ideal filter that's the way it would work. Personally I don't have much faith in the accuracy of color filters on various digital displays. My point is that you may be better off leaving tint at the default setting if all you have are color filters. A color filter built into the display may or may not be better than typical blue filters (the Samsung blue mode measurements I've seen have looked good).

Assuming that the 'television' signal uses typical video levels, you would want to feed the TV calibration video with a similar signal that's also at typical video levels. If you only have one device, especially if it's a computer, it's difficult to say for sure what levels you're outputting. I've seen ATI driver issues that cause the same settings to output different levels depending on the type of video (mp4 and mpeg2 didn't match). Basically what I do is to compare the output of different video players to get an idea what sort of levels a device is outputting. In theory a comparison is essentially what calibrators should be doing when they use a signal generator for calibrating other devices.

If I want to output video levels from my computer I leave the desktop at 0-255 and force the video player to retain video levels. Like I said I also have other devices that I can use for comparison. I would guess option 'b' would relate to what I use, but if you cannot answer this general question for yourself you may need better feedback elsewhere. Since I do think many people are interested in trying to use one device to calibrate other devices, it wouldn't hurt to try starting a thread on the topic to better cover some of the potential issues with such an approach.

Thanks. AVS HD calibration works just great for HD movies on HTPC but quite undersaturated for SD TV programs. For other devices, I only have a DVD Player, but I assume you can't use AVS HD on old SD media to calibrate HDTV? I'll try DVE DVD instead.
post #3075 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM

So how would you go about calibrating the TV as a stand-alone. ie watching HD Channels and such? If you have to have a player in order to do it?
post #3076 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

So how would you go about calibrating the TV as a stand-alone. ie watching HD Channels and such? If you have to have a player in order to do it?

You need a pattern generator in any case unless there are internal patterns available in the TV. But, everything you need is never there. In this case, the player, while not the best source, is acting AS the pattern generator.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3077 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

No, it would make no difference. It's the same data regardless of media.

-Bill

OK, that makes sense actually. I'm so used to the type of data being a two hour, lower resolution movie... No reason a DVD can't carry and display HD data on a Blu Ray. It just can't carry as much of it.
post #3078 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

How does a display filter work? I have been assuming that primary colors were merely turned off. I'm pretty sure this is what is happening with Samsung LED DLPs and Mitsubishi LaserVues.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3079 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Turning off the other primaries wouldn't work (no tint/sat control in that situation). It's got to be a pattern overlay.
post #3080 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you have DirecTV, HD Net airs some test patterns that you can record on your DVR. They air it weekly in the wee hours, but you should be able to find it in the listings and set your DVR to record it, and play it back whenever you want. (or stay up late and be prepared to jump on it if you don't have a DVR!)

The test patterns aren't as comprehensive as the AVR disc (let alone any of the commercial discs), but they're free and better than nothing.
post #3081 of 3986 Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

If you have DirecTV, HD Net airs some test patterns that you can record on your DVR. They air it weekly in the wee hours, but you should be able to find it in the listings and set your DVR to record it, and play it back whenever you want. (or stay up late and be prepared to jump on it if you don't have a DVR!)

The test patterns aren't as comprehensive as the AVR disc (let alone any of the commercial discs), but they're free and better than nothing.

I've found the HDNET color patterns to be significantly off (grey scale is fine) compared to the PS3/AVSHD generated patterns. If I then calibrate color to the HDNET patterns most of my other channels just don't look right, especially broadcast news and sports. For that reason I don't recommend using them unless that's the only channel you watch.
post #3082 of 3986 Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM

I have a QNAP TS439 on my own small home network. I can view many file formats on my Panasonic TX-P55VT30B such .jpg and my old Panasonic videos (DVD RAMs copied to this server) from the 1990s and naturally the recent AVCHD lite files from my Panasonic camera TZ10.

I have downloaded the AVCHD (.exe) file and extracted it. It creates an ISO file, but the ISO file is not supported on the Panasonic TV. I have only got a DVD recorder on my PC so that was the reason for me to download this version.

Upstairs I have a Panasonic TX-P42V20B TV and LG BD560 Blu-ray player.
In the lounge I have a Panasonic TX-P55VT30B and a Sony BDP-S570 player.
Both of these TVs can see the server and play other files stored on it, but not .iso.

I would like to have all the full content that comes as HDMV (.exe) or HDMV (.7z) instead of the DVD version. I presume if I download this file that it will still be a .iso file the same as the DVD version.

Can anyone please advise me which utility I can download and use (Windows 7 Pro x 64) to create the necessary files to load onto my QNAP server for both the Panasonic TVs to show.

Thanks in anticipation.
post #3083 of 3986 Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You don't "play" the ISO. You burn the ISO on a DVD or BR disc which then makes the program that will (usually) play on your player.
post #3084 of 3986 Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

You don't "play" the ISO. You burn the ISO on a DVD or BR disc which then makes the program that will (usually) play on your player.

Yes I know. I forgot to say I had done that and have already burnt the DVD. The problem is that the only part that plays is the video part. The rest are not intuitive. That is why I want to have the complete version and convert and put on my network.
post #3085 of 3986 Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you really want to see the files inside the .iso you may be able to do so by mounting it as a virtual disc with software such as http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html, or by looking at the files from a burned disc, but the Blu-ray file structure far more difficult to understand than playing a disc. Typically the MP4 version is intended for anyone that wants to do something other than calibrating their Blu-ray player, and again the MP4 version is likely more difficult to understand than playing the HDMV or AVCHD version from disc. The video from HD Nation and the PDF manual is intended to cover generally how to use the patterns. Otherwise maybe other calibration discs like Disney's World of Wonder might be more intuitive.
post #3086 of 3986 Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM

A question after getting a Samsung Blu-ray and, recently, a Samsung LN40D630 LCD.

I popped the AVS HD 709 disc in, and I've gone through the basic adjustments. Easy enough, and everything checks out.

I then used the Misc. Patterns to check to see if anything is off. I got to the B2 - Flashing Color Decoder pattern. Blue is perfect (using the Samsung built-in RGB filters). Green is showing ~12% too high, with Red showing ~ 5% too low.

The Misc. Patterns don't include instructions... so, I'm wondering if there are some basic ways to adjust Red and Green to get them more in-line?

As always, thanks in advance!
post #3087 of 3986 Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a short description in the PDF, but primarily it's just an informational item. The pattern just suggests that if you were to adjust color for red (rather than blue) then green and blue would likely be too bright. Even if your TV has additional color controls, beyond color and tint, I'm not aware of any thorough testing to really suggest what steps to take based on the limited information. Usually measurements are used for color adjustments beyond changing color and tint. Without any more information, unless something is clearly off in the subjective look when watching video, personally I would just use the Samsung's blue mode to set color and tint and call it good.
post #3088 of 3986 Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

There is a short description in the PDF, but primarily it's just an informational item. The pattern just suggests that if you were to adjust color for red (rather than blue) then green and blue would likely be too bright. Even if your TV has additional color controls, beyond color and tint, I'm not aware of any thorough testing to really suggest what steps to take based on the limited information. Usually measurements are used for color adjustments beyond changing color and tint. Without any more information, unless something is clearly off in the subjective look when watching video, personally I would just use the Samsung's blue mode to set color and tint and call it good.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I feared - that 'at-home' calibration discs wouldn't give the ability to adjust all of RGB.

The picture looks ok using the AVS HD 709 disc. The two main things I see, subjectively, are 1) a tannish tint, particularly with CNN studio shows and other indoor non-movies/sitcoms and 2) green is definitely off, noticeable with graphics and especially with yellows (yellow can appear florescent). For all I know, the two are related.

Fwiw, my basic settings are as follows:

Mode: Movie
Backlight 10
Contrast 85
Brightness 44
Sharpness 3
Color 50

Color Space is set to Auto, and Color Tone is set to Warm2. Everything else is set to Off or 0.
Tint 50/50
post #3089 of 3986 Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxg331 View Post

A question after getting a Samsung Blu-ray and, recently, a Samsung LN40D630 LCD.

I popped the AVS HD 709 disc in, and I've gone through the basic adjustments. Easy enough, and everything checks out.

I then used the Misc. Patterns to check to see if anything is off. I got to the B2 - Flashing Color Decoder pattern. Blue is perfect (using the Samsung built-in RGB filters). Green is showing ~12% too high, with Red showing ~ 5% too low.

The Misc. Patterns don't include instructions... so, I'm wondering if there are some basic ways to adjust Red and Green to get them more in-line?

As always, thanks in advance!

Quote:

Maybe I use that pattern incorrectly, but I thought it was more of a test for contrast setting, where too high a contrast setting shows differential soft clipping at the upper end of one or more of the colors (usually red?)
post #3090 of 3986 Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

eh, not technically true. if you have a media player, they'll "play" the ISO as if it were burnt to a disc - works just fine on my WD TV Live+.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page