post #3211 of 4093 Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas21 View Post

Should I do the calibration using avs hd 709 if I only watch satellite tv with two receivers. I mean I can connect the TV - LG37LK450 to my computer but does that make sense?

Computers typically do not output standard video levels. So no, it is not reasonable to expect that calibrating for the computer would work for satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 4093 Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi everyone, this thread is great - so much information.

I have a few questions I liked to ask before going ahead to buy equipments for calibration.

My Setup:

Epson 8100 Projector
DIY 90" Painted Gray Screen
HTPC - Windows 7 Media Center

What I Would Need
EyeOne LT kit
HCFR software
HD Basics disc
Greyscale & Colour Calibration For Dummies

I assumed I want to playback the disc with Windows 7 Media Center, since it will be my primary video source?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks much!
post #3213 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVE-HD Basics and AVSHD709 gave me different black settings. The results should've been identical. But with DVE-HD, I can go darker a few notches.
post #3214 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I assumed I want to playback the disc with Windows 7 Media Center, since it will be my primary video source?

Typically you want to play calibration video with the same video player that you'll use for playing other video, such as movies.
post #3215 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondaryColors View Post

DVE-HD Basics and AVSHD709 gave me different black settings. The results should've been identical. But with DVE-HD, I can go darker a few notches.

If you go with the description in the PDF for the second pattern the two should be generally close. I believe the first level above black is 20 on DVE, and I think Avia uses 19. So in certain conditions DVE will allow you to clip off a few video levels above black.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20767638
post #3216 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

hey guys, so how many hours should i have on the bulb before calibrating?

some says 40, some says 200. what's the general consensus?

if i need to wait for 200 hours, it's going to be over a year before i get there.
post #3217 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

hey guys, so how many hours should i have on the bulb before calibrating?

some says 40, some says 200. what's the general consensus?

if i need to wait for 200 hours, it's going to be over a year before i get there.

If you are doing it yourself do it as soon as you want. The idea of waiting is so you don't spend $400 and 4 months later need a touch up ..
post #3218 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

great.

can anyone confirm if i can use the AVS HD 709 disk with HCFR?
post #3219 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
alluringreality, can you explain in simple terms the best way to set contrast? My display is a Mits. DLP projector, the HC3800. I know the 3 rules of setting contrast(No clipping, no color shifting, no eye strain) but which one takes priority? My projector is clippping red. Do I reduce contrast until clipping disappears(-12)? Or do I raise contrast until pinkish color shift starts(-4)? Or do I disregard both of these things and go with the result of the contrast pattern, which is pinkish(17)? Thanks.
post #3220 of 4093 Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

great.

can anyone confirm if i can use the AVS HD 709 disk with HCFR?

Yes, you can.
post #3221 of 4093 Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

alluringreality, can you explain in simple terms the best way to set contrast?

I prefer to use a meter to set contrast.

Quote:
My display is a Mits. DLP projector, the HC3800. I know the 3 rules of setting contrast(No clipping, no color shifting, no eye strain) but which one takes priority?

Usually you don't have to worry about eye strain on most projectors, so clipping or color shift would be the main consideration. Clipping and color shift are typically related on most displays. What I mean is that if red clips before green and blue you will have a color shift away from red. Typically the color shift will happen where the color clips or a few levels lower. If you can objectively judge color shift, then probably use color shift as the primary consideration. When judging color shift it would make sense to use something like the grayscale ramp or APL clipping pattern, to limit the amount of information above reference white.

Quote:
My projector is clippping red. Do I reduce contrast until clipping disappears(-12)? Or do I raise contrast until pinkish color shift starts(-4)? Or do I disregard both of these things and go with the result of the contrast pattern, which is pinkish(17)? Thanks.

If the projector is subjectively bright enough for you, use the most conservative setting of -17. If you prefer to make the image brighter, use the higher setting of -4. It sounds like 17 may be too high and introduces color shift or has negative effects on the color patterns in Misc. Patterns A.
post #3222 of 4093 Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks alluringreality.
post #3223 of 4093 Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by visca blaugrana View Post

@alluringreality

I have now completed the making of the iso file and it plays fine on my Philips BDP9500.

All.

I am at the moment without a meter, so I was hoping someone could try to download the iso file and burn it and test the 75 & 100% compared with the one on the avsHD disk, just to know if they are right
http://www.2shared.com/file/-EcaaQ3F/AmpLiu.html

thank you

Just to confirm what I already said. the above test patterns have been verified and is OK. the new link contain the same patterns but in full screen - they have also been verified.
http://www.2shared.com/file/GIpF32UT/AmpLiu-full.html

If anyone have any experience in setting up a menu system, any would like to help me a bit, it would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying Multi HVSHD but have nothing but problems with it on my laptop.
post #3224 of 4093 Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

hi everyone.

i've downloaded the HDMV version. i'll then mount it to a virtual drive as a blu-ray disc.

i'll then launch it from Total Media Theater 5.

my question is:

in calman source selection, which one should i select?
- AVS calibration disc 1.2b
- AVS calibration disc 1.3
- Manual Control

thanks
post #3225 of 4093 Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi everyone.

i've downloaded the HDMV version. i'll then mount it to a virtual drive as a blu-ray disc.

i'll then launch it from Total Media Theater 5.

my question is:

- Manual Control

thanks

nevermind. i mounted with Daemon tools i tried to launch it with TMT5 but the disc is not recognized.

looks like i need to download the AVCHD version.
post #3226 of 4093 Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

my question is:

- Manual Control

thanks

I would also like to know this. Why hasn't Calman updated their software to reflect the latest updates?
post #3227 of 4093 Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question - I have a sony bravia 46v5100 and am using the blu ray AVCHD version. I have set the black levels correctly but am getting confused on contrast. No matter how high I set the contrast I still see all the lines, so if that happens, where do you stop?

The blu ray player I have is a sony BDP S360 and seems to have only the most basic of settings, as I've heard that if there is a contrast problem then it could be a setting on the player.

Any suggestions?
post #3228 of 4093 Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

Question - I have a sony bravia 46v5100
No matter how high I set the contrast I still see all the lines, so if that happens, where do you stop?

I am not familiar with your display, but my Sony has very little color shift at the maximum picture setting. My main point is simply that it's possible the maximum picture setting may be fine.
post #3229 of 4093 Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post

I would also like to know this. Why hasn't Calman updated their software to reflect the latest updates?

The CalMAN settings have to do with the automation they have built in, where the program can change the pattern. If you're changing the pattern manually it's doesn't apply. I would guess that it's probably some work to program the automation, so that's likely why it remains on the previous versions. For the most part I'm guessing, because the only automation I've used in CalMAN is with their computer pattern generator software.
post #3230 of 4093 Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I am not familiar with your display, but my Sony has very little color shift at the maximum picture setting. My main point is simply that it's possible the maximum picture setting may be fine.

Mine has a pretty distinct difference between 100 and where its set at, 81 (factory). I can see all bars up to 100 without color shift (pink hue) but its far too bright to use. The way I take it, there isnt supposed to be any white clipping like there is for the blacks, correct?
post #3231 of 4093 Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can see all bars up to 100 without color shift (pink hue) but its far too bright to use.

Unless doing so causes other issues, generally with LCD based TVs (including most LED models) the recommendation is to use a very low backlight setting and a high contrast setting. If the lowest backlight setting is too bright, it's reasonable to also lower contrast (picture).

Quote:

The way I take it, there isnt supposed to be any white clipping like there is for the blacks, correct?

Yes, ideally the color clipping pattern in Misc Patterns A would go beyond the 235 marks. Not all displays can be as bright as LCD based TVs, so with other display types giving up limited contrast may be less reasonable.
post #3232 of 4093 Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless doing so causes other issues, generally with LCD based TVs (including most LED models) the recommendation is to use a very low backlight setting and a high contrast setting. If the lowest backlight setting is too bright, it's reasonable to also lower contrast (picture).

Yes, ideally the color clipping pattern in Misc Patterns A would go beyond the 235 marks. Not all displays can be as bright as LCD based TVs, so with other display types giving up limited contrast may be less reasonable.

Interesting, the backlight is at its lowest setting unless it gets really bright in the room for whatever reason then I bump it up a few notches but 99% of the time it's always minimal.
I usually watch tv in the evening with very little light so bumping the contrast up any more than 81 on this particular unit is eye straining even though I can still see all the bars. Apparently it's difficult to get a good contrast setting without some sort of hardware calibration. Since I can still see the bars I would assume I would have to set it up to where it 'looks good' without eye strain?
post #3233 of 4093 Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently it's difficult to get a good contrast setting without some sort of hardware calibration. Since I can still see the bars I would assume I would have to set it up to where it 'looks good' without eye strain?

If you don't have a way to measure the light output of the display, and there's no noticeable clipping or discoloration, all you can really do is to set it for whatever white-level you consider reasonably bright but not too bright.
post #3234 of 4093 Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just pained my room and wanted to re-calibrating my Mits HC3800. However, I lost the blue filter glass. Where can I get one?
post #3235 of 4093 Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are some options mentioned in the PDF such as the glasses from http://www.costore.com/THX/welcome.asp
post #3236 of 4093 Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Hello people of the forum I'm new here and you guys would like me to calibrate my tv ajudassem.Quero AVSHD by 709 so that n know how, lack precision in adjusting d sharpness, backlight and other settings of you would like to know if there is a complete tutorial or someone I teach the steps to get my perfect image according to a calibration done well, as this is my doubt of you would like the collaboration forum! My TV is LG LCD lh50yd 42!
Grateful.
post #3237 of 4093 Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM

post #3238 of 4093 Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBGUITAR View Post

Hello people of the forum I'm new here and you guys would like me to calibrate my tv ajudassem.Quero AVSHD by 709 so that n know how, lack precision in adjusting d sharpness, backlight and other settings of you would like to know if there is a complete tutorial or someone I teach the steps to get my perfect image according to a calibration done well, as this is my doubt of you would like the collaboration forum! My TV is LG LCD lh50yd 42!
Grateful.

Welcome.

There is a fairly good tutorial on the top menu of the DVD.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3239 of 4093 Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If you don't have a way to measure the light output of the display, and there's no noticeable clipping or discoloration, all you can really do is to set it for whatever white-level you consider reasonably bright but not too bright.

I'm really glad you said this. My 929 is my first real backlit. I kept jacking with this concept on a Rear projection sony LCD, until I realize that the key for getting a reasonably good picture (read left the adjustments alone for more than a week) was adjusting for contrast and keeping the white at least slightly clipped, else it just didn't seem to come alive. Now I'm in the process of figuring out, with the aid real tools, if I am being fooled completely. I like to see data.
post #3240 of 4093 Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone able to mount either version of the blu-rays with Daemon Tools and play it with TMT5?

i can't seem to get either version to play.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page