post #301 of 3995 Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

This calibration DVD really helped me fine tune the black levels on my JVC RS1. The settings I got from Avia were off compared to using the two black level patterns. In other words, when I watched movies after calibrating with Avia, I could see a loss of shadow detail. After I calibrated using the DVD, I checked the results on a number of scenes that I use as benchmarks. These are scenes that I have never been able to get quite right, but with the good black levels of the RS1 and the patterns on this disc, I was able to get them just right.

Thanks to the developers.

Glad to hear AVS HD worked well for you. We found that most commercial disks lead you to set brightness too low in some cases. Its not because the patterns are inaccurate, but they are more difficult to read/examine correctly because they aren't as "fine" as the ones we use. In most of the patterns where you have an above black and slightly below black bar, the two bars are normally 4-5 digital "shades" apart. It seems to cause most people to overshoot the correct brightness because they can't see the intermediate shades as they change.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3995 Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Anyone get this error when trying to burn the AVCHD Version using Imgburn/DVD Decryptor.

I tried Burn-at-once and I get a file vs media mismatch.

I burned the HD DVD version a while back with no problems.

Doc1.doc 37.5k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (37.5 KB, 0 views)
post #303 of 3995 Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That error is a result of your burner not being able to burn on the media you are using. It is normally either:

1) Your burner doesn't like the media, or that specific disc (most likely)

2) Your burner is going bad.

EDIT: Try burning at a slower speed, make sure you aren't exceeding the max speed of the media.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #304 of 3995 Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

That error is a result of your burner not being able to burn on the media you are using. It is normally either:

1) Your burner doesn't like the media, or that specific disc (most likely)

2) Your burner is going bad.

EDIT: Try burning at a slower speed, make sure you aren't exceeding the max speed of the media.

Thanks, I agree it seemed like a hardware error. I've burned a bunch of discs recently with no problems. This time I tried at 1x and still no go. I'll dig down in the stack of discs and try again.
post #305 of 3995 Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

We'll, tried a couplre more discs, same error. Updated firmware on burner, tried again, still same problem. Found an Imation disc (was using Sony) and it worked but at this point I was only trying a SD image of something else just to get the burner to work. Tried a Sony disc again with an SD image and put it in my Sharp BD-HP20U...success. Now back to the AVCHD image...burned fine at 1x to be safe...no go in the player. bummer.
post #306 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 AM

Burned with a NEC DVD-writer using Fujifilm DVD-R and ImgBurn software.

Works like a charm on my european PS3.

Very nice work guys!!!
post #307 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

We'll, tried a couplre more discs, same error. Updated firmware on burner, tried again, still same problem. Found an Imation disc (was using Sony) and it worked but at this point I was only trying a SD image of something else just to get the burner to work. Tried a Sony disc again with an SD image and put it in my Sharp BD-HP20U...success. Now back to the AVCHD image...burned fine at 1x to be safe...no go in the player. bummer.

Do you have a different burner you can try?

Tom who?
post #308 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Um, from what I recall, the Sharp player does not support AVCHD.

post #309 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ctane View Post

That would definetely be a problem. I don't think it is required for players to support AVCHD, but most of them do. We haven't found a way to do BDMV (Blu-ray) on SD DVD, so we are kinda stuck with AVCHD.

Tom who?
post #310 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That would definetely be a problem. I don't think it is required for players to support AVCHD, but most of them do. We haven't found a way to do BDMV (Blu-ray) on SD DVD, so we are kinda stuck with AVCHD.

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking and was going to do some searching on the web for an answer.
post #311 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking and was going to do some searching on the web for an answer.

You don't have a Blu-ray burner do you?

Tom who?
post #312 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I actually took some AVCHD DVD disks to my local BestBuy to test them out, since I was interested in getting that Sharp model. The Sony players had no problems. The Sharp bonked. I contacted Sharp, and they confirmed that their players do not support AVCHD, and there are no plans to do so in the future.

For AVCHD DVDs, you are currently stuck with Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer for the most part.

post #313 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't have a Blu-ray burner do you?

nope
post #314 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually took some AVCHD DVD disks to my local BestBuy to test them out, since I was interested in getting that Sharp model. The Sony players had no problems. The Sharp bonked. I contacted Sharp, and they confirmed that their players do not support AVCHD, and there are no plans to do so in the future.

For AVCHD DVDs, you are currently stuck with Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer for the most part.

Thanks for the info
post #315 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

My Samsung 1400 won't play it? Anyone confirm?
post #316 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one to simply say Thank You for these two nice HD discs...

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
post #317 of 3995 Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

My Samsung 1400 won't play it? Anyone confirm?

Well I took AVCHD, BDMV, and Tsremux on DVD disks to Best Buy. The Sharp ate the Tsremux disk and wouldn't eject it. The Samsung wouldn't play the AVCHD or BDMV on DVD disks, but I didn't check the player firmware version. Like hwjohn commented, odds are that for some players the only chance of playing non-commercial HD disks might need to use a BDMV version on a Blu-ray disk. I could add a BDMV version in the future if anyone would find it useful, but it seems the only players that probably play BDMV from DVD likely also play AVCHD. In that case, BDMV would only be useful to those with access to Blu-ray burners whose players don't play AVCHD.

EDIT: The next disk will likely be offered in BDMV to support players incompatible with AVCHD, in spite of the fact of how few people own Blu-ray burners.
post #318 of 3995 Old 01-26-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Soo to summarize my understanding:

In order to use this disk, you need a:
A) Sony, Panasonic, or Pioneer player that are the only ones that will play AVCHD (as far as anyone has reported)
or
B) A blue ray burner and image burned with the BDMV

Right?
post #319 of 3995 Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The Sharp ate the Tsremux disk and wouldn't eject it.

You had to leave the disk in it? Now that's funny

I hope it didn't have AVS HD written all over it

Tom who?
post #320 of 3995 Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Soo to summarize my understanding:

In order to use this disk, you need a:
A) Sony, Panasonic, or Pioneer player that are the only ones that will play AVCHD (as far as anyone has reported)
or
B) A blue ray burner and image burned with the BDMV

Right?

A) The majority of players seem to play AVCHD. There was a reply here that the 2nd LG plays the disk. Odds are that the 1st LG might not, Samsung might not, and Sharp probably doesn't play AVCHD. I've tried searching a couple of the player threads and there's little discussion for terms like AVCHD, BDMV, or even BDAV. Finding information about what plays on what is a little difficult, so the easiest thing to do is to update your firmware and then see if a disk will play from DVD. I figure Samsung sells in decent quantities, but we haven't had replies except for the combo player.

B) The seemingly best information I could find is http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=20850 I'm not using DVDit Pro HD, but that program creates BDMV so it looks like BDMV on Blu-ray probably works for Samsung players. It looks like BD-RE works with most players, so if I had access to a drive that would probably be what I would try due to the rewrite ability.
post #321 of 3995 Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You had to leave the disk in it? Now that's funny

Overall the newer players seemed nice enough, but I have to say the first impression of the Sharp wasn't positive. I once put a commercial HD DVD in my Sony and vowed to never do that again due to how long it took to eject. I couldn't figure out any way to get the Sharp to eject the disk and it just sat there with the reading disk message. I really didn't care to ask for the manual to try to figure out how to eject a DVD.
post #322 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why are unique ISO files required for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD ? It sounds like these files are standard definition and intended for burning to standard DVD media, correct ? I think I am missing something.

I had burned the standard HCFR ISO pattern file, but now that I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 on the way, I guess I need the HD DVD beta file. I was not planning on purchasing an HD player until the war was over, but found the XA2 as a refurb for only $300. Since I was planning to purchase the upcoming Oppo with Reon processor and it would probably come in around $300, I thought what the heck on the XA2. At the very least, this will be my last and best standard def DVD player. And just maybe HD-DVD still has a shot if they buy out one or two studios just like Sony did with Warner.

Sean
post #323 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Why are unique ISO files required for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD ? It sounds like these files are standard definition and intended for burning to standard DVD media, correct ? I think I am missing something.

The file structures for HD-DVD and BluRay are completely different which means that they required different files.

The files are actually HD content, they are just intended to be burned to regular DVD media.

The player doesn't care (generally) what the media type is. Once it can read the file structure it proceeds according to what it finds.
post #324 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

The file structures for HD-DVD and BluRay are completely different which means that they required different files.

The files are actually HD content, they are just intended to be burned to regular DVD media.

The player doesn't care (generally) what the media type is. Once it can read the file structure it proceeds according to what it finds.

Thank You. That makes sense, and it certainly makes sense to use these files given the HD content. Am I correct in assuming that using HD vs. SD patterns should produce a better calibration result ?

I also meant to ask if these HD files are based off the latest HCFR 2.0 patterns ?

Sean
post #325 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming that using HD vs. SD patterns should produce a better calibration result ?

Generally speaking, yes.

You want to be able to calibrate your entire display chain so using an HD source in an HD player guarantees that you've had all of the correct colour space decodings done.

Some players do the conversions between SD/HD encoded material correctly which means you can use a single disc but having the correct discs takes all the guess work out.
post #326 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

I confirmed it. The AVCHD won't play on my new Samsung BD-P1400 Guess I need a burner
post #327 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Although I don't own a 1400, I can confirm that the AVCHD does works on my Samsung 1200.
post #328 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had burned the standard HCFR ISO pattern file, but now that I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 on the way, I guess I need the HD DVD beta file. I was not planning on purchasing an HD player until the war was over, but found the XA2 as a refurb for only $300. Since I was planning to purchase the upcoming Oppo with Reon processor and it would probably come in around $300, I thought what the heck on the XA2. At the very least, this will be my last and best standard def DVD player. And just maybe HD-DVD still has a shot if they buy out one or two studios just like Sony did with Warner.

There are differences in file structure (as jvincent mentioned), codecs, the way the stream is handled... trying to make one ISO would be like trying to make a DVD play in a CD player. Everything about it is different.

We purposely chose SD DVD as the media because it is very economical and test patterns don't require a lot of space. Luckily the manufacturers and guys who wrote the specs were smart enough to allow HD on SD media.

Tom who?
post #329 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also meant to ask if these HD files are based off the latest HCFR 2.0 patterns ?

If you mean they are ordered the same, then yes.

Tom who?
post #330 of 3995 Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I confirmed it. The AVCHD won't play on my new Samsung BD-P1400 Guess I need a burner

We have been searching for a way to get BMDV on standard DVD to play. We have had some success with alluringreality's Sony stand alone, but the problem is that the PS3 won't play the test discs we have tried. No PS3 support is a no go for a release. The only thing we have got to work so far on the PS3 is AVCHD.

I'm thinking that this gives you the excuse to buy a Blu-ray burner and test it for us

Tom who?
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page