Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question on color clipping pattern.

When I start a calibration on defaults, my color clipping screen shows red at around 241, blue about 245, and green at 249-251. If I do my calibration, after grayscale is done and before touching CMS, my blue and red are about ready to clip. Adjustments in the CMS bring them back up, but mess up my grayscale then.

Should or would it then make sense to adjust out my CMS color on blue and red to bring them up to green first before I even start a calibration? This way I am starting with all three primaries around 251 on the clipping screen and then when I do my grayscale 2 and 10 point adjustments, it will be correct?

Not sure if that is the correct way to go with this. Needless to say, the CMS is not very friendly for me to make adjustments, and I think this might help if the colors are closer on the clipping pattern first.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125 View Post

When I start a calibration on defaults, my color clipping screen shows red at around 241, blue about 245, and green at 249-251. If I do my calibration, after grayscale is done and before touching CMS, my blue and red are about ready to clip. Adjustments in the CMS bring them back up, but mess up my grayscale then.

Should or would it then make sense to adjust out my CMS color on blue and red to bring them up to green first before I even start a calibration? This way I am starting with all three primaries around 251 on the clipping screen and then when I do my grayscale 2 and 10 point adjustments, it will be correct?

Not sure if that is the correct way to go with this. Needless to say, the CMS is not very friendly for me to make adjustments, and I think this might help if the colors are closer on the clipping pattern first.

Your grayscale calibration has nothing to do with the calibration of your primaries and secondaries.

Calibrate to the following method.

1 Set brightness and contrast accordingly.
2 use 2pt(cuts and gains) then 10pt to correct grayscale and gamma
3 calibrate your primaries and secondaries using your CMS controls (hue, sat, lum)
4 Adjust saturation to suit using CMS controls (hue, sat, lum)

Check everything.

Benq W1080ST Projector, Panasonic TXP55VT30 plasma, Yamaha RXA3020 AVR, Denon DVD-2500BT, Q Acoustics 1010i in 7.1, i1 Pro spectro, i1 Display Pro, Calman 5 Enthusiast, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Calibration Management Disc
post #3603 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 328
If you're calibrating Rec.709 you're okay as long as nothing is clipped below 235. It's not like the RGB in GS where you want everything to be equal.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3604 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. I am referring to the primary and secondary CMS controls. I also believe they should have nothing to do with my grayscale, but for some reason they seem to.

If I add +5 to the green color in CMS and change nothing else, then do a 10 point grayscale run, my numbers are all out of whack from right before I made the +5 change.

On the LG CMS, there are only color and tint controls and color is basically luminance and saturation both. That may be why the grayscale needs fixed again and again after changing anything on the CMS. It really seems to affect my numbers for some reason.

on say a 50% gray pattern on 10 point. I may have -1 red, 0 green, and -5 blue. Do the CMS and then come back to the 50% gray pattern on continuous read and I then have to add a red and add 2 or 3 clicks to blue. That is the way it has been everytime I have done my calibration.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #3605 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I suggest you do the CMS first, then GS, then check. If you have okay dE and feel that you have made the best compromises then you are finished. I have an inexpensive LG and the CMS color is more luminance than saturation just like yours. You can only do so much. wink.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3606 of 3986 Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Buzz...

That is what I was thinking of doing next time here. Doing the CMS first and then doing the grayscale. I think that might keep my luminance and grayscale in check right.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #3607 of 3986 Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Hi folks, I just bought a Samsung UN55ES7500. I downloaded this AVS 709 software around 3 years ago to use with my old sony tv on a PS3. Is this version still valid to calibrate the new tv? Has anyone done this with the same tv and can share the settings? Thanks!
post #3608 of 3986 Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmokkie View Post

Many thanks to the developpers for the good program. I've used the dvd to calibrate the tv for my blu-ray and ps3 and I want to calibrate the screen (with the mp4 file )for playback from my usb harddrive. I have a samsung ue46d8000. This one has the RGB only mode which is very handy to calibrate the colors. I've put the mp4 file on my harddrive and connect it to usb with my television. But I can't select the rgb only mode. I can select it with the hdmi input (blu-ray and ps3). Anyone got a solution for this?
I have the exact same problem with my tv (samsung 32eh5000). If anybody know whats the problem, please share solution, explanation. Thank you in advance smile.gif
post #3609 of 3986 Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 AM

I tried to calibrate my new LG 47LM860V lcd tv with my PS3 slim and i think it looks quite good.
First i checked my settings where correct on the PS3 using CNET's PS3 Blu-Ray settings.
I used pattern 1 and 3 to setup my brightness and contrast. When i turn up the brightness i see all black levels blinking as explained. The same with contrast.

As i mostly use XBMC to watch Blu-Ray content i tried to do the same with my Raspberry Pi.
Only now i don't see all the black levels when i turn up the brightness. When i turn the contrast all the way down i also don't see anything blinking lower then 235.

Why does this work on my PS3 and not on my Raspberry Pi?
I tried the HDMI cable used from my PS3 as-well with the pi.

Also i read that when i calibrate my Blu-ray player i can use this settings for other inputs is this recommended?
post #3610 of 3986 Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Hi. My Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver (along with my TV) was calibrated by Michael Chen several years ago. Unfortunately, I had to have the HDMI board replaced recently, and of course his settings were lost (and presumably wouldn't work well on the new board even if I had them). Since the receiver is pretty old now it didn't make sense to get it professionally recalibrated (though I'm rethinking that smile.gif, so I thought I'd take a stab at doing a basic calibration myself (starting from a manual factory reset).

Unfortunately I'm having an awful time after getting to the "Flashing Color Bars" image with setting hue/saturation. The receiver has a "blue mode", so I turn that on, but then discover that in order to get gray and blue to match, saturation has to be maxed out at +50. Hue doesn't need any adjustment at this level, but the resulting picture is as you'd expect with saturation maxed; grossly over saturated colors. FWIW, I also have a blue filter from an old Avia DVD, and get the same result with it.

I did do black and white levels first of course, and FWIW, found that it needed a significant contrast adjustment to the tune of +30 (brightness, -9). Also, my only sources are a PC and a satellite box, so I've been viewing the 709 images via the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me ...
post #3611 of 3986 Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distobj View Post

Hi. My Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver (along with my TV) was calibrated by Michael Chen several years ago. Unfortunately, I had to have the HDMI board replaced recently, and of course his settings were lost (and presumably wouldn't work well on the new board even if I had them). Since the receiver is pretty old now it didn't make sense to get it professionally recalibrated (though I'm rethinking that smile.gif, so I thought I'd take a stab at doing a basic calibration myself (starting from a manual factory reset).

Unfortunately I'm having an awful time after getting to the "Flashing Color Bars" image with setting hue/saturation. The receiver has a "blue mode", so I turn that on, but then discover that in order to get gray and blue to match, saturation has to be maxed out at +50. Hue doesn't need any adjustment at this level, but the resulting picture is as you'd expect with saturation maxed; grossly over saturated colors. FWIW, I also have a blue filter from an old Avia DVD, and get the same result with it.

I did do black and white levels first of course, and FWIW, found that it needed a significant contrast adjustment to the tune of +30 (brightness, -9). Also, my only sources are a PC and a satellite box, so I've been viewing the 709 images via the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me ...

If you are using AVS709, try to set in your source YCBCR signal to make "the basics". That could help you with those problems. Try to burn the image in a bluray (better than MP4).

@Europe, you can contact me in www.diariosdelanube.com
post #3612 of 3986 Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
when I try and decompress the AVCHD-2d.7z within a thumb drive (where I have already transferred that file) it gets about 90% of the way and errors.
I'm on OSX, but using the Unarchier software… thoughts? thanks in advance. (intending to use on an Oppo 103)
post #3613 of 3986 Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM

How I calibrated my old lcd TV was I set calibrated it using the disk here first, with the blue glasses. No calibration equipment.
Then I played a movie with lots of green leaves and set the brightness so the black was black.
Then I cranked up the contrast so the colors looked colorful.
Then I cranked up the saturation so the colors looked colorful.
Then I set the hue using the disk again.

I redid this 2 times in a row until I was happy with the picture. If I just use the disk and glasses the picture looks dull.
My lcd doesn't have the option to set the rgb separately and only has saturation and hue to set the colors.
post #3614 of 3986 Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM

The first post is a little confusinf for me. Could anyone help me? Please. I want to calibrate my 1080p HDTV using my PS3 but I do not have a blu ray burner, only DVD burner. So which one should I download? I could also use a USB/external hard drive, if that helps.

Also, where are the instructions I need to follow to try to calibrate my TV? That is a little confusing as well.

I hope someone can answer me as soon as possible so I can calibrate my TV.

Thanks a lot! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #3615 of 3986 Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagepeople View Post

The first post is a little confusinf for me. Could anyone help me? Please. I want to calibrate my 1080p HDTV using my PS3 but I do not have a blu ray burner, only DVD burner. So which one should I download? I could also use a USB/external hard drive, if that helps.

Also, where are the instructions I need to follow to try to calibrate my TV? That is a little confusing as well.

AVCHD version
post #3616 of 3986 Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagepeople View Post

Yes, as mentioned above use the AVCHD version. The manual is also in the downloads section.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #3617 of 3986 Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125 View Post

Is your set light limite?. If not you should be able to decrease the contrast and raise the color clipping floor. On the other hand color clipping above 240, especially 245 will have little or no practical impact on most content image quality. I don't know what CMS controls you have at your disposal but if you are having to choose between dynamic range and color clipping above 245 I would choose dynamic range every time. Often times white does not clip even though the colors do. You may get get some color shift in the very extreme highlights but again this is hard to see and most content won't show it all. If you havethe light and linearity to not clip color or white all the way to rhe last bar on the pattern that is certainly the correct way to do it. On the other hand if you are giving up a lot of light and dynamic range just to achieve zero color cliping in the extreme above white range than your are probably hurting picture quality more than helping it.

Just another blank signature.
post #3618 of 3986 Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post

when I try and decompress the AVCHD-2d.7z within a thumb drive (where I have already transferred that file) it gets about 90% of the way and errors.
I'm on OSX, but using the Unarchier software… thoughts? thanks in advance. (intending to use on an Oppo 103)

The decompressed file is rather large. Assuming the drive is at least 8GB and the download is good, I'll guess the problem is the file system. As noted in the first post under "Download Notes" item "A" the decompressed file requires a modern file system. Some drives are formatted with older file systems that will not work, like FAT32. Either you can decompress to something like a compatible hard drive, or if the thumb drive is 8GB or larger it could be reformatted to a compatible file system. I haven't spent much time using Apple products, but here is what google returned for formatting a thumb drive to HFS+. http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-format-a-drive-or-partition-with-the-hfs-file-system/ By default I don't think that windows can read HFS+, so when you are done you might want to reformat the thumb drive back to a more cross-compatible format if you use it on various operating systems.
post #3619 of 3986 Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Do you think I could download the file and mount it to a virtual disc to calibrate my 1080p monitor?
post #3620 of 3986 Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Absolutely, I don't see why not.

post #3621 of 3986 Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Hello! I have my VT25 connected to my NR1008 and then to my PC. What is the correct pixel format that I should be using? Also, can I use this disc to fine tune settings within the control panel of my vid card? I had my VT25 calibrated when I bought it.
post #3622 of 3986 Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 AM

I cannot get the AVS HD 709 disc to work with my PS3 Slim. Is the PS3 Slim compatible?

I downloaded the AVCHD version and burned it to a DVD-R using ImgBurn.

When I insert the DVD into the PS3 (or turn the PS3 on with the DVD already inserted) the PS3 doesn't let me play it - there's no disc icon. The drive makes a lot of noise for about 10 seconds but that's it.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
post #3623 of 3986 Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
grexeo

You have to be sure to burn it as an ISO file.

On my window 7 machines, I download the file (which is zipped), extract it, highlight the components, then along the top tool bar the option appears "burn ISO", and click on it.

If I don't burn an ISO for a few months I forget about how to do it until after I've wasted a disc. Usually, I would get some message on my Oppo about data disc.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3624 of 3986 Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 AM

JimP,

Thanks for the reply. I did burn it as an ISO (using both ImgBurn and Windows 7's built-in ISO burning feature).

Fortunately I've now solved the problem - my third attempt using a DVD+R dual layer disc worked fine so obviously the original single-layer DVD-R discs I tried aren't compatible with the PS3 slim.

I'm not 100% sure what aspect of the discs solved the problem, but if anyone else is experiencing the same issue, then try DVD+R (plus) discs, or dual layer, or a different disc brand.
post #3625 of 3986 Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 172
-R Disks are for older systems, although supposedly suppose to also work on the newer systems. +R for the Newer Systems. Also some Brands of DVDs work better on certain Name Brands, better than others. Best to buy only a few to try first.
post #3626 of 3986 Old 06-06-2013, 03:17 PM

I'm wondering, is it possible to calibrate gray scale/white balance without a color meter? I used to have an eyeone but it broke.

I've used AVS 709 to calibrate, brightness, contrast, sharpeness, color, tint and overscan. Now I really would like to try to bring the colors closer to D65K and I was wondering if that might be possible.
post #3627 of 3986 Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post

I'm wondering, is it possible to calibrate gray scale/white balance without a color meter? I used to have an eyeone but it broke.

I've used AVS 709 to calibrate, brightness, contrast, sharpeness, color, tint and overscan. Now I really would like to try to bring the colors closer to D65K and I was wondering if that might be possible.

nope; the closest alternative would be an optical comparator and when these used to be sold they were pricier than most consumer grade meters sold today
post #3628 of 3986 Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM

So I'm using the MP4 Calibrations with my PS3. I put them on a USB Drive, and copied them into the PS3's HDD and play them from that. Now, I understand people change the PS3's display settings - like RGB to Limited, and enabling Superwhite - but do these options only apply if you watch the calibration videos from a Blu-ray? Would I get different results from calibrating with the videos from a Blu-ray instead of playing an MP4 file straight from the PS3?
post #3629 of 3986 Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Liked: 17
Yes, on the PS3 you only get btb/wtw from authored media, so DVD, BD, AVCHD only.
Audax2 likes this.
post #3630 of 3986 Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM

So it's recommended that I get a burner or something along with a blank Blu-ray and burn the calibration tests onto it, and use that instead?
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page