AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 4075 Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone, I have some questions and I would appreciate any help.

Okay so I bought a Sony R450a TV, and it's a pretty nice TV for the price, colors are great and it handles fast motion pretty good (those 2 reasons are why I bought it). However, when I play my Xbox 360, I notice some ghosting and some blur when I play a fast paced video game like NHL 14, like a player would blur when skating fast. I was wondering if this is because my TV needs calibrated and if this disc would help fix that?

I read a review on Sony's website about the TV and someone said that they had doubts at first because of ghosting, but after downloading a "top notch AVS calibrator online" (I assume they meant this) the picture was good with no ghosting, lag, blur, etc.)

Also worth noting, I am using the HD Components that came with the Xbox 360, I recently purchased a "V2HD" converter box so I could use HDMI.

Can anyone confirm that this calibration disc will fix these issues and improve my televisions picture quality? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4075 Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Your set would certainly benefit from some basic settings adjustments which can be accomplished with the disc. The motion blur issue is a little more problematic Not sure the disc would benefit you in that area. Have you tried the LCD forum there is probably a thread for your particular set ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3783 of 4075 Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Glvez View Post

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Totally forgot about that site. Thanks!
post #3784 of 4075 Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM

This is a really well put together tool, thanks.

Has anyone tried it with the PS4 using a dvd? If I calibrate black level with the basic patterns I'm seeing very crushed blacks during gameplay. PS4 and TV are both set to Full RGB. Reverting back to limited RGB fixes this but it seems like a bug that the levels don't match between video playback and game. 

For now I'm using this image in the PS4's browser to calibrate black level

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

EDIT: Well it seems my screen Sony KDL-40W2000 doesn't support full RGB (is there any way to confirm this?) Set the PS4 back to limited (or rather auto) and now the disc calibration gives better results. There's something very odd going on with the PS4's levels though. I calibrated with the image linked above, started a game, went back to the browser image and it was way too dark! I'm sure the console is switching levels on the fly.

post #3785 of 4075 Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that made/contributed to this calibration tool. It's made my TV's even better. 

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #3786 of 4075 Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Anyone interested in burning and sending me a copy of the most recent version of this calibration disk. I am more than willing to pay for your effort, shipping and some profit. I don't want to buy a BD burner for just this disk.

If interested please PM me. Thanks

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #3787 of 4075 Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Do you have a receiver with USB support? You can put the files on flash drive and play them off of it. 

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #3788 of 4075 Old 12-16-2013, 02:09 AM

Any chance the HD-DVD version download is still available?
post #3789 of 4075 Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Anyone interested in burning and sending me a copy of the most recent version of this calibration disk. I am more than willing to pay for your effort, shipping and some profit. I don't want to buy a BD burner for just this disk.

If interested please PM me. Thanks

You don't need a bd burner for the AVC-HD version will play on almost all bluray players.

post #3790 of 4075 Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by azyme View Post

Any chance the HD-DVD version download is still available?

There are a couple links at the bottom of the release notes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/2340#post_19413135
azyme likes this.
post #3791 of 4075 Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

There are a couple links at the bottom of the release notes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/2340#post_19413135

Thank you.
post #3792 of 4075 Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 AM

Hi.

I'm using this disc in .MP4 format with my PS3. In Color Clipping, when very close to my television's screen, I can see noise (...lack of noise in reds' pattern lines elevates noise in greens' or blues', varying). After calibrating so, say, blue peaks at 235 without this noise, I will still see, past 235, hardly visible spaces between where the pattern lines would be (which may appear as noise or as 'dark', i.e. just darker). I've changed several settings including contrast but this doesn't decrease visibility. The issue is most clear with my reds; regardless of which settings I fiddle with, I can't seem to get my reds' peak at 235. I'm unsure of whether or not this is fine -- to be expected --, or something to fix.

I'm wondering for some recommendation as to what I can do to resolve this, if needed.

Thank you.

post #3793 of 4075 Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfacebleu View Post

Hi.

I'm using this disc in .MP4 format with my PS3. In Color Clipping, when very close to my television's screen, I can see noise (...lack of noise in reds' pattern lines elevates noise in greens' or blues', varying). After calibrating so, say, blue peaks at 235 without this noise, I will still see, past 235, hardly visible spaces between where the pattern lines would be (which may appear as noise or as 'dark', i.e. just darker). I've changed several settings including contrast but this doesn't decrease visibility. The issue is most clear with my reds; regardless of which settings I fiddle with, I can't seem to get my reds' peak at 235. I'm unsure of whether or not this is fine -- to be expected --, or something to fix.

I'm wondering for some recommendation as to what I can do to resolve this, if needed.

Thank you.

That's perfectly normal. On my TV (and probably most), blue also clips first, so as long as you don't see any of the primaries clip before 235 you're fine.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3794 of 4075 Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks for replying, helped me out. Knowing this, I am now wondering how clear -- in clipping sections (including, e.g., 'Color' and 'White') of the disc -- the pattern lines should be. Is it ideal all -- red, green, and blue -- approach barely visible come 235, or remain and don't fade? I've calibrated clipping with the idea red, green, and blue should all have their lines go at least until 235 as instructed by the manual, this achieved by shifting contrast. I don't own tints, so am unable to calibrate colour levels, which seem key before calibrating clipping (especially since my colour levels appear dull); is there any considerably 'fine' way of calibrating colour degrees without using tints... or without them should levels remain manufacturer's default?
post #3795 of 4075 Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfacebleu View Post

Is it ideal all -- red, green, and blue -- approach barely visible come 235, or remain and don't fade?

The ideal is to show all video information above 235, but realistically displays have a limited amount of contrast between black and the brightest white. Since commercial video sources, like Blu-ray, do not appear to commonly use the video information above 235, it may be reasonable to ignore the ideal and come closer to 235, depending on how the display performs. Because various displays perform slightly differently, measurements are typically used for more precise information. Some displays may have irregularities near where the colors clip, so for people that do not have access to measurements, the manual suggests a slightly conservative setting that allows a few bars above 235 to flash. I'll assume many people prefer to ignore the ideal for a brighter reference white, so I merely caution that clipping patterns only provide a limited amount of information, and when using a high contrast setting it's a good idea to at least check the effects near 235 from other sources like Misc. Patterns A2 and A3.

Quote:
I don't own tints, so am unable to calibrate colour levels, which seem key before calibrating clipping (especially since my colour levels appear dull); is there any considerably 'fine' way of calibrating colour degrees without using tints... or without them should levels remain manufacturer's default?

From a calibration standpoint, the ways to set a color control are either with a color filter, a blue-mode on the TV, or with measurements. Personally I tend to question the accuracy of color filters on digital displays, but if your display does not offer a blue-mode, the THX glasses mentioned in the manual can be purchased from http://costore.com/thx/productthumbnails.asp As far as the accuracy of the default color setting that will probably vary to some extent depending on the TV model. The default color setting on my Sony happens to be very close to measurements, but unless you own a popular display that gets measured by a lot of people it might be difficult to guess at the typical accuracy of the default color setting.
post #3796 of 4075 Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Question on source patterns.

I have multiple devices connected to my AVR, then the AVR is connected to the HDTV.

Instead of calibrating each devices to the HDTV, is it best to copy the MP4 files onto a USB stick and use the USB port on the HDTV to display patterns for calibration?

I am thinking this is probably the best option and you're truly calibration the picture on the HDTV, regardless of the source and its interference.

Besides, I have devices that won't be able to display the patterns such as the Roku and Wii.

Any feedbacks?

Thanks
post #3797 of 4075 Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player

I've downloaded and burnt the AVCHD format of  "AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration" onto a DVD+R. It works fine with the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player. Note: my BD-P1500 has the latest software S/W: 11125.01_063008-1_XEF and is Region B/2 (BD/DVD)

post #3798 of 4075 Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the AVCHD (.7z) file.

Burn it onto the DVD disk, but I am unable to play it on my Sony BDP-S360

The Sony blu-ray player is compatible with AVCHD files.

But when I press play, I keep getting the message "Ext Memory in the rear of the unit not recognize".

I just don't understand the message. Anything I need to do on my Sonly blu-ray player settings?

Thanks
post #3799 of 4075 Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11

First off, hats off to the guys for making this a possibility. I was on the verge of buying the WoW calibration disk then I found this link! Woohoo! Saved 30 bucks and won't have to explain to wifey why I bought a blu ray disk that we cannot watch. LOL.

Anyway, so whilst I was researching on ways to calibrate my Panny VT60, I came about HD Nation's vid about calibrating TV's (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe8mdd_free-hdtv-calibration-part-1-hdmi-s_school) and they suggested to actually reset both TV and Blu-ray player to factory default settings before calibrating using the disk. I honestly didn't want to do it because I will probably have to redo the firmware updates to both my TV and blu-ray player and from what I read, you actually don't need to do it. Did anybody had to reset their TV's to factory default before using the disk?

Thanks!

Dattebayo!
post #3800 of 4075 Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I downloaded the AVCHD (.7z) file.

Burn it onto the DVD disk, but I am unable to play it on my Sony BDP-S360

The Sony blu-ray player is compatible with AVCHD files.

But when I press play, I keep getting the message "Ext Memory in the rear of the unit not recognize".

I just don't understand the message. Anything I need to do on my Sonly blu-ray player settings?

Thanks

Please ignore. It was due to my burning with Power ISO.

I burn another disk with Imgburn and it works beautifully.

Thanks for the disk guys.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
post #3801 of 4075 Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Instead of calibrating each devices to the HDTV, is it best to copy the MP4 files onto a USB stick and use the USB port on the HDTV to display patterns for calibration?

Besides, I have devices that won't be able to display the patterns such as the Roku and Wii.

If the USB stick is convenient it could be used, but if you watch other sources, it's preferable to test if the USB matches other devices. Ideally you would have patterns to test each device device or signal that you use, but I also realize that not all sources will be able to display test patterns. The basic idea of testing each device is that if one device is different you can set the display to account for the difference. Personally I cannot think of much inherent advantage of the USB stick, and to me it's just another possible video source.

As digital devices it is possible your equipment by default may simply output a limited (most video devices) or full range signal (computers), and as long as the HDTV is set correctly for the input type everything might match. The four devices that I happen to own, which will play video test patterns, all result in the same settings at the display, as long as the HDTV is correctly set for a limited or full-range input. Since the multiple devices I own result in the same settings at the display, I consider it reasonable to assume that the devices are outputting typical video or computer levels. I have checked my devices against a pattern generator to be absolutely sure, but for most people I would say that if you check two or three devices and get the same settings then it's probably safe to say that the devices are outputting typical levels. Since I'm under the impression that my TV settings are correct for a typical input, I just use the same TV settings for other signals that do no have a way to display test patterns.
post #3802 of 4075 Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apannyvt60 View Post

they suggested to actually reset both TV and Blu-ray player to factory default settings before calibrating using the disk. I honestly didn't want to do it because I will probably have to redo the firmware updates to both my TV and blu-ray player and from what I read,

If the device has a way to reset settings, I don't have any reason to suspect such a thing might change the firmware. If you do not want to use an option to go back to default settings, I don't see a reason why it would be absolutely necessary. Many modern electronics do have settings that are generally best left at the default settings. so I sort of get the intent of what they were saying. Basically I can see some possible advantages of each viewpoint, and as long as the devices haven't been changed for things like mis-matched levels, the discussion isn't very important either way in my opinion.
post #3803 of 4075 Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt setting to defaults would change firmware.
post #3804 of 4075 Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 AM

I just hopped in here to give a big THANK YOU to all AVS HD 709 contributors!

I used the mp4 version to calibrate my HDTV and now it looks gorgious! I love the natural colors, great blacks, detailed whites. I could not have done it without the great folks from AVS.

Thanks! :)

post #3805 of 4075 Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

If the device has a way to reset settings, I don't have any reason to suspect such a thing might change the firmware. If you do not want to use an option to go back to default settings, I don't see a reason why it would be absolutely necessary. Many modern electronics do have settings that are generally best left at the default settings. so I sort of get the intent of what they were saying. Basically I can see some possible advantages of each viewpoint, and as long as the devices haven't been changed for things like mis-matched levels, the discussion isn't very important either way in my opinion.

Quote:

I doubt setting to defaults would change firmware.

Thanks for your replies. I used the AVS Calibration disk without resetting both my TV and blu-ray to default settings.

I downloaded the AVCHD format, used a DVD-RW and burnt the .iso image using Power ISO. Worked perfectly on my LG BP530 blu-ray player.

However, I think I'm a little bit off on my calibration because I had to set my Contrast to 100 (max setting) just to set my white levels correctly as suggested on the document using the slide in chapter 3 - Basic Setting.

Here are my settings as follows:

Anyone with almost the same numbers as mine? I have a Panny VT60 and I calibrated the TV in a bright room.

Thanks!

Dattebayo!
post #3806 of 4075 Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Instead of burning a disk, would it be possible or has anyone used their laptop that has HDMI output to run test patterns?
post #3807 of 4075 Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never tried that but would the resolution be correct ? You can download the MP4 files to a USB stick and play them that way. Burning the disc is very easy if you have a dvd burner.

post #3808 of 4075 Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Instead of burning a disk, would it be possible or has anyone used their laptop that has HDMI output to run test patterns?

I have downloaded the MP4 files and feed them to my projector via my HTPC.
post #3809 of 4075 Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I have downloaded the MP4 files and feed them to my projector via my HTPC.

I would love to build a HTPC but don't know where to start.
post #3810 of 4075 Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Look in the HTPC forums. Lots of great info in there
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version