AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 3953 Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I've been using this disc through my PS3 to calibrate my Sony KDL-50w800b and noticed something strange on the color clipping screen. Red and blue stop flashing past the 235 line as they should, but green flashes all the way through to the right end of the screen. Here is a poor photo of what's going on, but you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/iLAt0II.jpg Red was initially clipping before 235 but I brought the Picture (contrast) setting down 2-3 notches and it cleared up. In this photo it may look like red and blue are clipping too soon but they are visibly flashing up until 235.

I was wondering how bad of a thing this is, and what settings I might try adjusting to solve this? One thing I wondered about is the white balance, which has 6 settings. A gain and bias for each of the three colors. I don't have any sort of sensors or meters, but I do have blue, red, and green filters from my GetGray DVD. If it helps, I've been feeling oranges may be too red.

Thanks!

Last edited by Deaddy; 06-24-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3953 Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 100
See what effect Color has on the color clipping.
Deaddy likes this.
post #3933 of 3953 Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
See what effect Color has on the color clipping.
Okay, I experimented with the Color setting, and if I turn it way up, the green eventually clips where it's supposed to, but then all of the flashing bars for red and blue disappear, they are clipping at every number. My blue filter combined with the flashing blue/white boxes test (http://i.imgur.com/OsiOl0H.png) tells me the correct color setting is 54, and to make green clip at the right point I had to turn it to 69.

When I view this pattern http://i.imgur.com/8CWoGJb.jpg I can see each box's individual defined shade, it seems to look fine.

I'm worried that those flashing green bars not clipping is a sign that the colors are out of balance or something.
post #3934 of 3953 Old 06-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 100
These things don't always work perfectly, and you may have to compromise between what the clipping patterns are telling you vs. the filter vs. real material. The behavior can also vary between different viewing modes. I know it does on my Panasonic 50ST60. Extreme changes to Color are probably inadvisable, and 54 for a Sony LCD sounds a lot more right than 69.
Deaddy likes this.
post #3935 of 3953 Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
These things don't always work perfectly, and you may have to compromise between what the clipping patterns are telling you vs. the filter vs. real material. The behavior can also vary between different viewing modes. I know it does on my Panasonic 50ST60. Extreme changes to Color are probably inadvisable, and 54 for a Sony LCD sounds a lot more right than 69.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it sounds like as long as the image doesn't look severely imbalanced when viewing content, that I shouldn't worry about it. I tried the Hue setting which I believe is the same as tint, didn't look any better in either direction so I've left that at zero. The colors seem all right for the most part. I trust the blue filter.
post #3936 of 3953 Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by *88 View Post
AVS HD 709 downloads - http://color.spectracal.com/downloads/calibration-discs

Download and burn with ImageBurn.

A search led me to this vid where I found the link above. They cover cal basics with the AVS HD 709, starts at 13:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0Xgpqk7EY
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Ronstang 

I would really like to try this disc out on my two new Sony TVs but the download links seem to be dead.

I can't seem to get access to the Wuala files, so I moved the w6rz links to the first page. I think the downloads should now work.
I had to use the spectracal links, the w6rz links are currently downloading at only a few kb/s.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3937 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been trying to download the disc to burn and I keep getting download failed. Not to mention the downloads are taking forever and always failing at the end. Is there a torrent somewhere? Or maybe a link that's hosted on a more reliable, faster server?
post #3938 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFlare View Post
I've been trying to download the disc to burn and I keep getting download failed. Not to mention the downloads are taking forever and always failing at the end. Is there a torrent somewhere? Or maybe a link that's hosted on a more reliable, faster server?
Look at my post just before yours for the link.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3939 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFlare View Post
Sorry to hear that. However, the server is just a regular shared host. It will usually be fine, but may have periods of funkiness.

I just tested it right now, and it sustained 15 Mbps during the entire download.

Since alluringreality changed the links on page 1, the traffic at w6rz.net has tripled.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #3940 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
I had to use the spectracal links, the w6rz links are currently downloading at only a few kb/s.
Are the spectracal links up to date? They look like an older version.

Ron

post #3941 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know about the spectracal links. And I don't know how to determine version on these. I'm trying the w6rz links again and am getting between 60 and 70 KB/s. It'll speed up occasionally, but I have yet to see 100KB/s.

If we could get some torrents for these that would be helpful and take the burden off your server.

post #3942 of 3953 Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Ah, I just noticed the iso I downloaded from Spectracal is named AVCHD-v1_2b. So it is older.

post #3943 of 3953 Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I am trying to use the mp4 version to calibrate my PC monitor and my TV, which are both connected to my PC (cloned). I fired up the first black clipping test and my monitor does it fine, it flashes from 17 up. My TV doesn't flash any of the lines below 21, though, even with brightness, contrast, backlight, and sharpness turned all the way up. The monitor is an Asus VW246 connected via DVI, the TV is a 40" Changhong LED40YC1700UA connected via HDMI, and they're connected to my PC which runs an XFX 7870 Ghz Edition.
post #3944 of 3953 Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not sure which file I need to download to burn on a Mac. I have Roxio Toast and a BD burner, but these don't appear to be in a format I'm used to seeing to burn disc images.

Also, do the THX glass work with these tests?

Thanx.
post #3945 of 3953 Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Curl View Post
Also, do the THX glass work with these tests?
Hi, Blue Filter Glasses are useless for displays other than CRT.

The blue filter was an old method that was designed for CRT displays where they had only color and tint controls only and meter/software were not available these years.

Now most of the displays are coming with CMS controls.

Blue filters (on CRT) can work where for example the Red Primary is fully saturated and have no blue or green...blue primary has no green or red etc....But a fully saturated Primary needs to have the other 2 primaries added to be able to de-saturated it to it's target....so viewing throu the blue filter you will have light coming from all three primaries and this will make it's blue filter porpose of maching the luminance method no longer work.

This is the reason that blue filter fails to color/tint test on a fully calibrated CMS display.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3946 of 3953 Old Today, 02:08 AM

Unfortunately these links only have the PC version (which downloads OK) and the Mac files on the link at the top of this topic result in pages of code opening on my Mac instead of the compressed file. Are there any other sources to download from?

In reply to Keith Mackunas re Spectracal links.

Last edited by Steve Jay; Today at 02:11 AM. Reason: left out original quote
post #3947 of 3953 Old Today, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jay View Post
Unfortunately these links only have the PC version (which downloads OK) and the Mac files on the link at the top of this topic result in pages of code opening on my Mac instead of the compressed file. Are there any other sources to download from?

In reply to Keith Mackunas re Spectracal links.
I was able to download and burn the AVCHD (.7z) version of this successfully. You need to have software to extract the .7z format. There are links to some in that first post.
post #3948 of 3953 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Curl View Post
I was able to download and burn the AVCHD (.7z) version of this successfully. You need to have software to extract the .7z format. There are links to some in that first post.
Thanks for your suggestions but ...
I have no problem opening compressed .7z files I have Unarchiver installed and EZ7Z. If I click the .exe file link I get a window with the file icon asking me if I want to download. If I click on the .7z file link I get pages and pages of code appearing - not a compressed file icon in a window as above just apparently the actual bare programme code. I am using Firefox and Safari in OS 10.6.8. Same thing happens with both and with the other .7z files on the page. I have also tried with a later OS.
post #3949 of 3953 Old Today, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jay View Post
Thanks for your suggestions but ...
I have no problem opening compressed .7z files I have Unarchiver installed and EZ7Z. If I click the .exe file link I get a window with the file icon asking me if I want to download. If I click on the .7z file link I get pages and pages of code appearing - not a compressed file icon in a window as above just apparently the actual bare programme code. I am using Firefox and Safari in OS 10.6.8. Same thing happens with both and with the other .7z files on the page. I have also tried with a later OS.
Hmmmmm... I just tried the links in Firefox. Got the same thing you did. Use Safari. That worked for me.
post #3950 of 3953 Old Today, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Since alluringreality changed the links on page 1, the traffic at w6rz.net has tripled.
Apparently getting kicked off of Wuala might have had to do with their going to a paid service. I'll take a look around over the weekend to see if there's another file host that might work.
post #3951 of 3953 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
Apparently getting kicked off of Wuala might have had to do with their going to a paid service. I'll take a look around over the weekend to see if there's another file host that might work.
The spectracal site is fast. It saturates my 30 Mbps connection. If they could update the links with the latest version, that might work.

BTW, I have no problem hosting the streams. I pay the same amount ($8.99 a month) for the hosting no matter what the traffic is. I'm that one customer that actually takes advantage of "unlimited" bandwidth and storage.

I just posted the bandwidth stats to show how popular AVS HD 709 still is.

Ron

post #3952 of 3953 Old Today, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I took a look at the wiki page, and maybe Google drive might work. Mainly I just switched the links because I didn't want to upload everything again, but it wouldn't hurt to have a second source. After we moved off the original host I really had no idea how much it was being downloaded. Anyway, I'll see if something works out without spending a lot of time on it.
post #3953 of 3953 Old Today, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaddy View Post
Red and blue stop flashing past the 235 line as they should, but green flashes all the way through to the right end of the screen.
Flashing below 235 is the minimum recommendation. If the higher numbered bars also flash it's okay, so there's not really any issue here. It's not necessarily uncommon for the different colors to clip at different levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaddy View Post
I trust the blue filter.
Personally I don't trust blue filters, but my TV is only a few clicks too high when using a blue filter, so I left in the typical instructions from other sources. Some of the newer TVs do seem to go even more out of whack using a blue filter. I can't comment on other brands, but my impression in looking at settings from measurements is that the default color setting on a Sony is probably going to be more accurate than using a blue filter.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page