AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 138 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4111 of 4121 Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings everyone:

I have a question.
I have an AMD 280X which I have connected to my HDTV through HDMI.
I'm also connected to my PC monitor through DVI and I'm mirroring the displays.

I've set my HDTV output to RGB Limited and I have set the HDMI Black Levels on my set (LG) to Low.

However on my PC side, when I open the MP4 videos with VLC or Media Player Classic, I either get all the levels below 16 and above 235 clipped, or if I set the video to display the limited RGB range, I get everything washed out (I think as intended, since on my HDTV it shows fine and I can calibrate correctly by dropping Brightness to 38 for example)

My question here is: How can I, considering Full RGB on my PC side, calibrate correctly without clipping anything from the MP4 videos? I've tried everything but I always get clipped information. Even from Youtube videos with the same AVS HD 709 patterns. What am I doing wrong? Or is it supposed to clip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4121 Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AVS Brightness Calibration question

On my PN51F8500, when using AVS Brightness Calibration, brightness 47 & 48 work, showing everything up to bar 16. With brightness at 46, bar 17 disappears, 49 bar 16 starts to appear and 50 the entire screen dithers green.

Should I go with brightness of 47 or 48 as both seem to be "right" and show no dithering on letterboxes either. I assume 48 might give me more shadow detail with 47 possibly crushing blacks a little?
post #4113 of 4121 Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Without anything else to go on, I'd probably go with the lower of the two settings, but I'm not familiar with the display to really comment on how exactly it might behave.
post #4114 of 4121 Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanius View Post
My question here is: How can I, considering Full RGB on my PC side, calibrate correctly without clipping anything from the MP4 videos?
I don't think my AMD card allows any way to display video and the computer desktop at matching levels and avoid clipping levels from video. My AMD card seems to be able to scale the full-range desktop into a limited-range output, but in that scenario it still cuts off the extra video information. There are ways that it's possible to output the video range without clearly clipping levels by having different ranges for video and the computer desktop, but most people don't want to deal with different levels depending on what they're doing, so usually people just stick with the default expansion when watching video on a computer.

Here are some further comments about displaying video on a computer:
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
bmcn likes this.
post #4115 of 4121 Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanius View Post
My question here is: How can I, considering Full RGB on my PC side, calibrate correctly without clipping anything from the MP4 videos? I've tried everything but I always get clipped information. Even from Youtube videos with the same AVS HD 709 patterns. What am I doing wrong? Or is it supposed to clip?
MPC-HC + madvr should do the trick. Set Your graphics card to 0-255, configure madvr to output 16-235 and set Your TV also to limited (16-236).

Some graphic cards will output strict 16-235 if they reconize a TV, for this madvr has a levels tweaker to force the card to output 0-255.

When You set Your card to mirror (clone) can You configure Your both displays independent? Maybe You should use extended desktop to have an independent configuration enabled.

Last edited by DrFaxe; 01-16-2015 at 06:02 AM.
post #4116 of 4121 Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First, I'd like to thank the creators of this awesome disc as well as this community for being an invaluable educational resource! Thanks!

I have a couple quick questions- I did search for answers, but couldn't locate anything definitive.

1) There seems to be numerous "duplicated" patterns included- e.g. "20% grayscale window" shows up under CalMAN, ChromaPure, etc... Are these patterns all identical, or are there differences between them? If they are the same, are they just duplicated simply to better serve the specific calibration software packages in some way?

2) I understand the idea that "windows" should be used instead of "fields" for measuring plasma/CRT devices to avoid automatic "level limiters" kicking in, but is there any reason why "windows" shouldn't be used for other display technologies as well (e.g. LCD)? Why wouldn't a "best practice" be simply to always use windows vs. fields?

post #4117 of 4121 Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I know I probably haven't looked very good on this site but do you guys offer this for sale in blu-ray form to buy?
post #4118 of 4121 Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'd bet if you bought the disc and a 6 pack, you could find a friend/neighbor/co-worker who could burn it for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by meta22ica240 View Post
I know I probably haven't looked very good on this site but do you guys offer this for sale in blu-ray form to buy?
post #4119 of 4121 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I'd bet if you bought the disc and a 6 pack, you could find a friend/neighbor/co-worker who could burn it for you

I actually did burn it but nothing will work on my blu-ray player sadly. I'm gonna give it another go though since I have some extra dvd-r's left.
post #4120 of 4121 Unread Today, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta22ica240 View Post
I actually did burn it but nothing will work on my blu-ray player sadly. I'm gonna give it another go though since I have some extra dvd-r's left.
We didn't have any interest in something like Blu-ray duplication (selling burned discs), and I didn't think there was enough of a market to try turning it into a commercial product with Blu-ray replication. There are certainly players that do not support DVD or Blu-ray writable media, but generally more of the newer players support writable media in comparison to the first generation Blu-ray players. I'd be curious to know which players today don't support either the AVCHD or HDMV from DVD media, yet I'm sure there are some examples.
post #4121 of 4121 Unread Today, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor102 View Post
1) There seems to be numerous "duplicated" patterns included- e.g. "20% grayscale window" shows up under CalMAN, ChromaPure, etc... Are these patterns all identical, or are there differences between them? If they are the same, are they just duplicated simply to better serve the specific calibration software packages in some way?
Any pattern with an identical name uses the same encoded levels. Basically the only difference is the order of the patterns to support the preference used by the calibration software available at the time the disc was put together.

Quote:
2) I understand the idea that "windows" should be used instead of "fields" for measuring plasma/CRT devices to avoid automatic "level limiters" kicking in, but is there any reason why "windows" shouldn't be used for other display technologies as well (e.g. LCD)? Why wouldn't a "best practice" be simply to always use windows vs. fields?
There are a lot of possible variables when it comes to measuring a video pattern and trying to make sense of the measured information. One possible variable is that different display technologies, models, and settings don't all react similarly when displaying identical patterns. Since most people are interested in relative information, such as comparing Y measurements for something like gamma, I'm generally in favor of patterns similar to the APL measurements from this project, since similar patterns remove any change in APL or Average Relative Luminance during the measurement series. Generally the calibration industry uses patterns that vary APL and/or Average Relative Luminance during the measurement series, so something like the APL patterns from this project may not result in similar information. My personal opinion is that people should probably gather a lot of information to determine how their display operates when attempting to "calibrate", but generally people just want to base a decision around a single measurement run, regardless of how various variables might affect the resulting information.

There can be situations where fields may limit errors that would be present when using windows. On my prior Sony SXRD I believe the variable backlight setting tended to produce unreliable relative Y measurements (gamma) when using windows, and relative Y from field measurements were generally more in line with most on-screen images. When the variable backlight setting was turned off then most any measurement pattern returned identical information. Personally I haven't looked at enough various LCDs to comment on how things like variable backlights might affect measurements when using the field or window patterns from this project, but I know my current Sony LCD has a non-defeatable variable backlight. I cannot say if either windows or fields provides any preference on my LCD, I just know that both patterns cause my TV to dim during the measurement series.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page