AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 139 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi all,

Got a question regarding my LG plasma. If I follow the instructions for the first test in basic settings, I have to set brightness to 51 in order for 17 to flash (below that it doesn't flash, but at 51 it doesn't 'barely' flash, it very visibly flashes). But then on the second test the instructions say set brightness so that 19 and higher flash. With brightness at 51 18 flashes, and I have to back down to 49 in order for anything below 19 to stop flashing. At brightness 49, in both tests the first flashing bar is 19.

What would be the correct thing to do here?
See if the gamma control has any effect. There may also be TV brand and model specific settings that can affect black level. I would probably choose a black 17 over a bright-ish flashing 17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by asou68 View Post
It is hard to describe the problem, but in certain scenes the blacks look really "heavy" or something.
There simply isn't enough information here to really comment. I think the black level and levels near black can vary on some displays depending on the image displayed, but I'm not familiar with your model of TV to comment if such a thing could be happening. Misc pattern A5 has a rather wide range, so you might be able to see the 10% bar on the Dynamic Brightness pattern if the display has a tendency to adjust subjective levels depending on the image displayed. Otherwise I don't have a lot of ideas, unless other owners of that model might be familiar with the effect.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If playing back from PC, should the signal be converted into Limited RGB (16-255) when playing back those patterns, or leave at full RGB (0-255)?
Thank you
Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
If playing back from PC, should the signal be converted into Limited RGB (16-255) when playing back those patterns, or leave at full RGB (0-255)?
Thank you
See:

HTPC - Kodi Color Calibration Questions
Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
The recommendation from this forum is to pass the video signal to the display with as little alteration as possible. That basically means the ideal is to retain the limited (16-235) output, since that's what's contained in the vast majority of commercial video. From a practical standpoint it may be difficult to do when using a computer, and most computers default to expanding to a full (0-255) range.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't have a colorimeter but I'm trying to get my HD TV as close to the Rec. 709 Standard as possible. I'm using a Samsung HDTV and it
has three picture modes: dynamic, standard, and movie. It also has color temperatures: cool, standard, and warm.
Those are the two most important settings I need to change if I want to get as close as possible to Rec. 709 correct? So which ones would I use if so?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
I don't have a colorimeter but I'm trying to get my HD TV as close to the Rec. 709 Standard as possible. I'm using a Samsung HDTV and it
has three picture modes: dynamic, standard, and movie. It also has color temperatures: cool, standard, and warm.
Those are the two most important settings I need to change if I want to get as close as possible to Rec. 709 correct? So which ones would I use if so?
If you prefer a brighter picture, use standard picture mode and warm color temperature.

For not as bright, try movie and warm.

Be sure to download the AV709 disk and get your brightness and contrast adjusted.

Even with these settings, you might not be all that close.

These displays are mass produced products and don't come close to being lab grade instruments.

Which Samsung display do you have?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
If you prefer a brighter picture, use standard picture mode and warm color temperature.

For not as bright, try movie and warm.

Be sure to download the AV709 disk and get your brightness and contrast adjusted.

Even with these settings, you might not be all that close.

These displays are mass produced products and don't come close to being lab grade instruments.

Which Samsung display do you have?
Thanks I am using a SamsungUN40H5003 but I've searched through the web and not much comes up. You say use standard but doesn't movie get you closer to the 2.2 Gamma/6500K color temp?
Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
Thanks I am using a SamsungUN40H5003 but I've searched through the web and not much comes up. You say use standard but doesn't movie get you closer to the 2.2 Gamma/6500K color temp?
That depends on the particular display. It doesn't appear that you have a gamma setting available in the user menu so you're going to have to eyeball it.

According to the pdf for your display http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...PRENG-0725.pdf you do have an option of two warm settings; warm 1 and warm 2. On plasmas, we usually will use warm 2 but then adjust grayscale using meters. Without meters, some have recommended using warm 1. Put up a grayscale pattern and if it looks cool, (bluish) try warm 2. If it looks pinkish, use warm 1.

As for gamma, again eyeball it. If the picture looks flat on movie mode, try standard. If it appears that you're loosing to much shadow detail using standard, try movie mode.

Sorry for not giving you better information but this is probably as good as anyone can provide without actually owning your particular display.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
That depends on the particular display. It doesn't appear that you have a gamma setting available in the user menu so you're going to have to eyeball it.

According to the pdf for your display http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...PRENG-0725.pdf you do have an option of two warm settings; warm 1 and warm 2. On plasmas, we usually will use warm 2 but then adjust grayscale using meters. Without meters, some have recommended using warm 1. Put up a grayscale pattern and if it looks cool, (bluish) try warm 2. If it looks pinkish, use warm 1.

As for gamma, again eyeball it. If the picture looks flat on movie mode, try standard. If it appears that you're loosing to much shadow detail using standard, try movie mode.

Sorry for not giving you better information but this is probably as good as anyone can provide without actually owning your particular display.
Yeah, the manual said it had two options for warm, but it doesn't. I've tried switching between all my picture modes but nothing.
I've set the basic settings for both movie and standard. Here is a picture of the two, both using the warm color temperature. Standard on top, movie on bottom.
Spoiler!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
There simply isn't enough information here to really comment. I think the black level and levels near black can vary on some displays depending on the image displayed, but I'm not familiar with your model of TV to comment if such a thing could be happening. Misc pattern A5 has a rather wide range, so you might be able to see the 10% bar on the Dynamic Brightness pattern if the display has a tendency to adjust subjective levels depending on the image displayed. Otherwise I don't have a lot of ideas, unless other owners of that model might be familiar with the effect.
So I've now used the AVS709 patterns to calibrate the brightness & contrast within the MadVR (video renderer) I use to play back video on my laptop & I get a similar effect in certain scenes.

Here is a screen cap:

http://s21.postimg.org/5okgyqeqf/TDKR_Blacks_2.jpg

It just doesn't look "right".
Old Today, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since you seem to be referencing the same scene on two entirely different displays and video players, I'll suggest maybe it's as intended. The scene might look like that due to artistic intent. Basically I'm suggesting the video content could be encoded that way, and the people making the movie may not have intend for the scene to look "right".

All that brightness or black-level really does on a digital display is to choose which video level is represented as the darkest shade. Anything lower than that shade is lost, and anything higher is represented as being lighter than the darkest shade. If you set brightness too low you lose information that is intended to be displayed, and if you set brightness too high then areas that are intended to be displayed as dark shades are instead represented by lighter shades. If you set brightness to the lowest setting where you can still see the bars flash somewhere in the range of 17-20, then brightness is likely in the range recommended by the commercial calibration discs.
Old Today, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since you seem to be referencing the same scene on two entirely different displays and video players, I'll suggest maybe it's as intended. The scene might look like that due to artistic intent. Basically I'm suggesting the video content could be encoded that way, and the people making the movie may not have intend for the scene to look "right".

All that brightness or black-level really does on a digital display is to choose which video level is represented as the darkest shade. Anything lower than that shade is lost, and anything higher is represented as being lighter than the darkest shade. If you set brightness too low you lose information that is intended to be displayed, and if you set brightness too high then areas that are intended to be displayed as dark shades are instead represented by lighter shades. If you set brightness to the lowest setting where you can still see the bars flash somewhere in the range of 17-20, then brightness is likely in the range recommended by the commercial calibration discs.

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530