AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 140 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4171 of 4183 Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't see anything in the HD 709 documentation about gamma adjustment.
Is there anything online that I can use to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4183 Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't have the tools to calibrate color properly, so I ask: with color steps and color clipping, can/should I change my television's color setting to affect them? If so, should the setting go as low or high as possible while retaining the patterns' clarities?
post #4173 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typingwithmytoes View Post
I don't have the tools to calibrate color properly, so I ask: with color steps and color clipping, can/should I change my television's color setting to affect them? If so, should the setting go as low or high as possible while retaining the patterns' clarities?
Correct, on the color steps all should be distinct and not blend together at 235.
for color clipping ideally all should flash as at 235 and lower, a good percentage of time they will flash at different values.

From the documentation:
"Using this pattern you may find that red, green, and blue do
not necessarily clip at exactly the same levels, but you simply want to
make sure levels lower than 235 flash."

Have fun ^_^
ChromeJob likes this.
post #4174 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by typingwithmytoes View Post
The color clipping pattern is designed to adjust contrast, not color. I agree, the name of the pattern can be misleading. If you haven't already, download the pdf for the instructions for the patterns. It explains what the various patterns are used for and how to use them.

Regards,

Joe B
ChromeJob likes this.
post #4175 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Joe View Post
The color clipping pattern is designed to adjust contrast, not color. I agree, the name of the pattern can be misleading. If you haven't already, download the pdf for the instructions for the patterns. It explains what the various patterns are used for and how to use them.

Regards,

Joe B
Whoops, I forgot to mention that. ^_^
post #4176 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-838D View Post
I don't see anything in the HD 709 documentation about gamma adjustment.
Is there anything online that I can use to check?
There are patterns similar to the link below that are used to estimate gamma, but personally I find those sorts of patterns difficult to use. If someone has access to measurement equipment, I would suggest using measurements to estimate gamma. If you own one of the more popular displays and don't have access to measurement equipment, it might make sense to see what reviewers or other owners get from measurements on the same model display to find if there might be a common trend. On my Sony TV from last year I would generally expect that simply leaving the default gamma setting from the cinema preset might provide a reasonable setting for watching in a dim room, since my own measurements seemed to be in agreement with reviewers in regards to the gamma setting. This forum would label such things sharing settings and advise against the suggestion, but on my monitor I didn't have very good agreement in comparing what the following might suggest against measurements.
http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/Pe...ray/gamma.html

Last edited by alluringreality; 06-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
post #4177 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
There are patterns similar to the link below that are used to estimate gamma, but personally I find those sorts of patterns difficult to use. If someone has access to measurement equipment, I would suggest using measurements to estimate gamma. If you own one of the more popular displays and don't have access to measurement equipment, it might make sense to see what reviewers or other owners get from measurements on the same model display to find if there might be a common trend. On my Sony TV from last year I would generally expect that simply leaving the default gamma setting from the cinema preset might provide a reasonable setting for watching in a dim room, since my own measurements seemed to be in agreement with reviewers in regards to the gamma setting. This forum would label such things sharing settings and advise against the suggestion, but on my monitor I didn't have very good agreement in comparing what the following might suggest against measurements.
http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/Pe...ray/gamma.html
Thank you,
I see what you mean, Difficult to display the above image in the link without the tv enlarging it as it is 640x480.
post #4178 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Whoops wrong thread, Sorry too many windows open!

Last edited by LD-838D; 06-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.
post #4179 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Could some of you guys advise on what your gamma setting is?
I'm trying to determine if there is a common trend in settings.
A gamma setting can be two things. Firstly, a gamma target, which is what you decide to shoot for when calibrating a TV/monitor. Or, it can be the gamma adjustment setting on your particular TV/monitor. The later is pretty specific for your model of TV/monitor, so an across the board recommendation for a setting can't be made. You may have to search for calibration settings on your particular model and see if there is a trend in where calibrators set their gamma setting.

The reason I mentioned both, is that some sets have a choice of "gamma 2.2" or "gamma 2.4", or such. So, after you do your research and decide that you want a gamma of 2.2 (for example), don't assume that your TV's gamma setting of 2.2 will get you there, or even closest to a gamma of 2.2. If you find a common trend in calibrated settings for your particular model, then that's a different story.
post #4180 of 4183 Old 06-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Joe View Post
A gamma setting can be two things. Firstly, a gamma target, which is what you decide to shoot for when calibrating a TV/monitor. Or, it can be the gamma adjustment setting on your particular TV/monitor. The later is pretty specific for your model of TV/monitor, so an across the board recommendation for a setting can't be made. You may have to search for calibration settings on your particular model and see if there is a trend in where calibrators set their gamma setting.

The reason I mentioned both, is that some sets have a choice of "gamma 2.2" or "gamma 2.4", or such. So, after you do your research and decide that you want a gamma of 2.2 (for example), don't assume that your TV's gamma setting of 2.2 will get you there, or even closest to a gamma of 2.2. If you find a common trend in calibrated settings for your particular model, then that's a different story.
Sorry about that!
I posted my reply in the wrong thread.
post #4181 of 4183 Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Thank you,
I see what you mean, Difficult to display the above image in the link without the tv enlarging it as it is 640x480.
I'm simply not a fan of those sorts of gamma images, but it would be possible to open the image in an image editor and expand it to the native resolution of the TV without scaling. Paint.net is an example of a free windows program that could make the change.
post #4182 of 4183 Unread 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Would it be a concern that the image editing program didn't change the color space of the image when saving to a new resolution image? I know Photoshop (CS2, which I use) can, and does do this if the original color space is unusual.

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #4183 of 4183 Unread Today, 05:33 AM

New question about banding if I may, I understand all LCD/LED's have some minimal banding.
Using 1-Grayscale Ramp what would be considered unacceptable?
The left image is my my Linux Kodi setup (This is expected as i'm having some minor driver support issues) my PS4 gives a similar result.
The right is from my Dune HD Smart D1
Would the left image's vertical lines breaking up the smoothness of the gradient be considered unacceptable enough consider a replacement for the display, if it of course was not being caused by the source device?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	799626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DUNE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	799634  

Last edited by LD-838D; Today at 05:40 AM.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page