AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #4231 of 4370 Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I apologise if this has been asked before but how would I play these files on a PS3? I downloaded the AVCHD.7z file which was obviously a .zip file, extracted it into an ISO file. But I know that the PS3 cannot read an ISO file on a USB, so how would I go about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4370 Old 10-13-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomkid View Post
I apologise if this has been asked before but how would I play these files on a PS3? I downloaded the AVCHD.7z file which was obviously a .zip file, extracted it into an ISO file. But I know that the PS3 cannot read an ISO file on a USB, so how would I go about it?
You can download the MP4 files instead of the ISO. Those will play on the PS3.
post #4233 of 4370 Old 10-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Curious, why does the color clipping pattern only go up to 251?
post #4234 of 4370 Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
At 255 everything will be clipped, so there's not much point creating a clipping pattern for it.
post #4235 of 4370 Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You can download the MP4 files instead of the ISO. Those will play on the PS3.
You can also play the MP4 files through the USB on your HDTV if it supports it. I did this on my Panasonic Plasma S60.

Panasonic TC-PS60 plasma • Anthem MRX 510 • OPPO DV-980H •
Rogers Nextbox 2.0 8642 HD • Playstation 3 • HTPC (GA-EP45-UD3P, AMD Radeon HD 6870) • SVS Ultra Series Speakers • HSU STF-3 Subwoofer
post #4236 of 4370 Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
At 255 everything will be clipped, so there's not much point creating a clipping pattern for it.
yes, but surely 252-253 can be tested for, no?
post #4237 of 4370 Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
If my memory is correct, I think the color information goes to 253. In order to get flashing there has to be a change in video levels, so the highest bar may be marked 251 and flashes to 253. In the process we were using for encoding video information and checking the decode, adjacent encoded colors were generally decoding to the same levels. For example I would try encoding a 254 red and a 253 red, but both would end up decoding to 253 in the process we were using. The same thing generally happened for adjacent colors, so 252 and 251 red both decoded to 251. Basically 253 and 251 were the brightest colors that were being returned on the decode from the process we were using. I didn't look into it further to clarify if that's simply a limitation of our tools or if it's due to the video encode used for Blu-ray video information. I know that some color information is lost in the process used for Blu-ray video, but I'm not sure if that's the reason behind the encode and decode differences I was seeing on the color patterns. In the commercial video information that I looked through there didn't seem to be grays or colors being intentionally encoded above 235, so from a practical perspective I didn't see a reason to look into it further.
post #4238 of 4370 Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
If my memory is correct, I think the color information goes to 253. In order to get flashing there has to be a change in video levels, so the highest bar may be marked 251 and flashes to 253. In the process we were using for encoding video information and checking the decode, adjacent encoded colors were generally decoding to the same levels. For example I would try encoding a 254 red and a 253 red, but both would end up decoding to 253 in the process we were using. The same thing generally happened for adjacent colors, so 252 and 251 red both decoded to 251. Basically 253 and 251 were the brightest colors that were being returned on the decode from the process we were using. I didn't look into it further to clarify if that's simply a limitation of our tools or if it's due to the video encode used for Blu-ray video information. I know that some color information is lost in the process used for Blu-ray video, but I'm not sure if that's the reason behind the encode and decode differences I was seeing on the color patterns. In the commercial video information that I looked through there didn't seem to be grays or colors being intentionally encoded above 235, so from a practical perspective I didn't see a reason to look into it further.
So in other words, if I see up to 251 flashing, I am really seeing colors up to 253, correct?
post #4239 of 4370 Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
So in other words, if I see up to 251 flashing, I am really seeing colors up to 253, correct?
Yes, that's the basic idea. The flashing results from alternating between two shades. If you can differentiate between two encoded shades, it would mean there's some difference being displayed. I believe the color clipping pattern flashes to the next highest shade in the series, so if you can notice the flashing it would essentially mean 253 is being displayed. A lack of flashing would likely mean an encoded shade is being displayed at a lower value on that pattern.
post #4240 of 4370 Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can I do the calibration if my computer is hooked up to my TV and I run the file? Thanks.
post #4241 of 4370 Old 11-14-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by James McGaffey View Post
can I do the calibration if my computer is hooked up to my TV and I run the file? Thanks.
Most newer HDTV's have a thumb drive input to play movies, just load the MP4 files onto a drive and calibrate. I just did this recently with two sets we have, no problems.

Panasonic TC-PS60 plasma • Anthem MRX 510 • OPPO DV-980H •
Rogers Nextbox 2.0 8642 HD • Playstation 3 • HTPC (GA-EP45-UD3P, AMD Radeon HD 6870) • SVS Ultra Series Speakers • HSU STF-3 Subwoofer
post #4242 of 4370 Old 11-15-2015, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post
Most newer HDTV's have a thumb drive input to play movies, just load the MP4 files onto a drive and calibrate. I just did this recently with two sets we have, no problems.
Hi, Some TV's are handling differently media files playback from their USB and some times there is a mismatch with the playback that they accept from it's HDMI Inputs.

BTW Some TV's are disabling a lot of advanced calibration controls in USB Mode.

For the correct calibration way, you have to calibrate using as a source your actual movie content device (Media Player/Blu-Ray Player).

If you still want to use the USB of your TV as a pattern source, you have to test to see if it matches your player.

The best thing is to take some measurements (Grayscale/Saturation) from your Blu-Ray player and then use the same patterns to measure them from your USB..... Check the reports to see if the measurements from the both inputs are matching closely under meter repeatability tolerance.

Check also Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness/Clipping patterns using your Player HDMI vs. USB to see if they are matching also.

If you see that the levels/measurements are matching (count the meter repeatability also), then you will be able to use your TV's USB for displaying patterns from Media Files (MP4/MKV) instead of your actual player and later copy the settings you used at USB Input to the HDMI input your player is connected.

If you use only your USB port for movie playback then you don't need to run all these tests.
CalWldLif likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4243 of 4370 Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a better way to set brightness than the flashing bars? I've always had trouble distinguishing with that test.

bob
post #4244 of 4370 Old 11-15-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Is there a better way to set brightness than the flashing bars? I've always had trouble distinguishing with that test.

bob
Hi, before trying to calibrate your Brightness with a Flashing Bar pattern be sure that you have set correctly your Sharpness (using a proper Sharpness Pattern) before moving to Brightness Pattern.

You need to do this because the extra (fake detail) that an uncalibrated Sharpness setting is adding, it will be shown as a pixel boarder to all your flashing bars, so this can confuse the user from setting correctly the Brightness Pattern later.
xvfx likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #4245 of 4370 Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anybody know if there is a 4K calibration or would this work just fine?
Rondo1 likes this.
post #4246 of 4370 Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
glad i found this page thanks
post #4247 of 4370 Old 12-01-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
Does anybody know if there is a 4K calibration or would this work just fine?
Unfortunately with some TVs, including my 1080p Panasonic pj I believe, you can set the various adjustments per incoming resolution; they are not global to all inputs and all resolutions.

You can test this on your TV by selecting a 4K source, skewing the TV's image adjustments to some wonky value, and then using the same input change the signal to a 1080 incoming source. If the adjustments stay wonky then your TV is not like mine and any adjustments for that input should stay the same regardless of incoming resolution, so using this calibration disc should work out pretty well for most of the color and brightness/contrast adjustments. You may want to tweak sharpness by eye.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #4248 of 4370 Old 12-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Several years ago I made the original AVCHD disc from the download & used a basic version of CalMan software, which I still have, + an Eye-one display 2 meter when I calibrated my HT projector.

Now I have a few questions concerning calibrating a Samsung UHD LED TV. The set will play UHD & 4k mp4 & H.265 files from its USB connection. This is currently the only way we can watch true UHD / 4k video as our internet is far too slow to stream HD much less UHD video.

So, my questions are:

Is it necessary to re-render the mp4 files to true UHD (3840x2160) or just use the original HD files provided?

And, are these files for HD in the same color space as UHD sets?
LD-838D likes this.

Last edited by DERG; 12-06-2015 at 09:11 AM.
post #4249 of 4370 Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Which pattern do you consider more accurate for setting black level, the "black clipping" pattern (all black screen with flashing bars) or the "APL Clipping" patterm (with the flashing black bars in the middle and the white bars on top/bottom)?
post #4250 of 4370 Old 12-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
Hi everyone. Just got a new TV and was playing with my receiver's delay function to try to sync audio with video. I have the Disney WOW disc which has a rotating bar and audio pulses, and this works for me kind of. But it occurs to me that it would be easy to set up a photo transistor / opamp circuit to detect brightness changes, and use a mic (or just tie directly into the speaker wires with a voltage divider if needed) to detect audio pulses, so all I need is a test source that has like an entire black screen that switches to white (or white to black) while simultaneously outputting an audio beep (of any duration as long as the leading edge is synced with the video change). Then I could use an o-scope or an arduino to get the actual millisecond shift, and adjust my receiver accordingly (this just takes my slow human detection capabilities out of the equation). So does this disc (or some other one) have such a test source file? Thanks!
post #4251 of 4370 Old 12-10-2015, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter View Post
So does this disc (or some other one) have such a test source file? Thanks!
Hi, take a look my post here: Best way to calibrate audio delay?

post #4252 of 4370 Old 12-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Cool. I have the old version of that calibration disc, so I'll check it out! If that doesn't have the av sync stuff I'll get the new one.
post #4253 of 4370 Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
The "Color decoder flashing pattern" is about the most that can be shown for color without a meter. The idea is similar to "DVE and colors" or page 33 here. The difference is that on the pattern with this disk the corresponding colors are grouped. When you look through the blue filter you'll be looking at the flashing blue bar, use the red filter to look at the red bar, and green filter with green bar.
First time trying this calibration disc. This has probably been asked and answered, considering this post is ~8 years old, but where can one get the proper filter(s) to use with the color calibration patterns? I had Video Essentials on Laserdisc back in the day, and it came with filters, but they're long gone... Any links/tips appreciated. :-)

Thanks!
post #4254 of 4370 Old 12-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomkid View Post
Burn the ISO to a blank DVD+R and you're good to go. Just tried mine this morning.
post #4255 of 4370 Old 12-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone!

Not sure what is going on & need some advice. My calibration equipment is an Eye-one Display 2 meter & CalMan 3.7 software.

Seven years ago I built a home theater & calibrated a Marantz VP-15 front projector with an Eye-one Display 2 & CalMan 3.7 & all went fine. Didn't have any issues calibrating several computer monitors using the same software & meter. Now I have purchased a Samsung UN55JU6500FXZA UHD LED set I'd like to calibrate. The out-of-the-box picture is very good but in calibrating I'm getting some real weird readings that don't make any sense.

I downloaded the mp4 files from page 1 of this thread & recorded them on a USB thumb drive, then plugged the drive into one of the Samsung's USB drive for my video source. I went through CalMan's meter calibration & I'm pretty sure I did this part right. After setting my TV's brightness, contrast & color, I took reading from 30% & 80& grey scale. The readings indicate there is little if any red, a lot of green but blue seems normal. I adjusted the TV's settings to red max & green to minimum & cannot get red to even nudge. Green stays extremely high. I tried several other approaches all with the same results.

I'm wondering if the Eye-one is out of date for LED TV's but both my computer monitors are LEDs & they calibrated OK.
Help, I'm open to all suggestions.
post #4256 of 4370 Old 12-12-2015, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
Hi everyone!

Not sure what is going on & need some advice. My calibration equipment is an Eye-one Display 2 meter & CalMan 3.7 software.

Seven years ago I built a home theater & calibrated a Marantz VP-15 front projector with an Eye-one Display 2 & CalMan 3.7 & all went fine. Didn't have any issues calibrating several computer monitors using the same software & meter. Now I have purchased a Samsung UN55JU6500FXZA UHD LED set I'd like to calibrate. The out-of-the-box picture is very good but in calibrating I'm getting some real weird readings that don't make any sense.

I downloaded the mp4 files from page 1 of this thread & recorded them on a USB thumb drive, then plugged the drive into one of the Samsung's USB drive for my video source. I went through CalMan's meter calibration & I'm pretty sure I did this part right. After setting my TV's brightness, contrast & color, I took reading from 30% & 80& grey scale. The readings indicate there is little if any red, a lot of green but blue seems normal. I adjusted the TV's settings to red max & green to minimum & cannot get red to even nudge. Green stays extremely high. I tried several other approaches all with the same results.

I'm wondering if the Eye-one is out of date for LED TV's but both my computer monitors are LEDs & they calibrated OK.
Help, I'm open to all suggestions.
I just got a new LED TV and my i1 seems to work OK. Have you tried the patterns on a disc? Maybe something weird is going on with the USB. How's the grayscale look to your eye? On my new Samsung (J6300) the grayscale was pretty darn good out of the box. I only tweaked the 2-point WB a tiny bit...not even going to bother with the 10 point.
post #4257 of 4370 Old 12-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
I just got a new LED TV and my i1 seems to work OK. Have you tried the patterns on a disc? Maybe something weird is going on with the USB. How's the grayscale look to your eye? On my new Samsung (J6300) the grayscale was pretty darn good out of the box. I only tweaked the 2-point WB a tiny bit...not even going to bother with the 10 point.
Thanks for the reply! I agree. Out of the box the Picture Mode NORMAL setting looks great. I followed this calibration at Rtings.com (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500) settings & thought the picture looked a little yellow.

I do have a blu-ray player in our basement theater but not upstairs. Perhaps bringing upstairs will be necessary.

But, maybe it's how I calibrated the i1-2. CalMan said to leave the white cap on the i1 & begin to 2 step process. After the 1st step, remove the white cap & place the i1 over a pure white image. At first I used a large window 100% clip & later tried the 107% but had similar results both times. The reading was in the mid 1200s @ 100% white & in the mid 1500s with 107% white out of a possible 10,000.

Does this setup for the i1 sound correct or did I do this wrong?
post #4258 of 4370 Old 12-13-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I agree. Out of the box the Picture Mode NORMAL setting looks great. I followed this calibration at Rtings.com (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500) settings & thought the picture looked a little yellow.

I do have a blu-ray player in our basement theater but not upstairs. Perhaps bringing upstairs will be necessary.

But, maybe it's how I calibrated the i1-2. CalMan said to leave the white cap on the i1 & begin to 2 step process. After the 1st step, remove the white cap & place the i1 over a pure white image. At first I used a large window 100% clip & later tried the 107% but had similar results both times. The reading was in the mid 1200s @ 100% white & in the mid 1500s with 107% white out of a possible 10,000.

Hmmm, if you're doing what CalMan says, you should be OK. Maybe some other users can chime in. I use HCFR, and when I click "calibrate meter" in the beginning, a window pops up and says "calibration not needed", which I thought was a little strange.
post #4259 of 4370 Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
post #4260 of 4370 Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

the calibrate was for dark reading, like an i1pro spectro and the white patch was for refresh of the display.
the dark reading is not needed any,ore but the refresh is needed for plasma crt
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Hmmm, if you're doing what CalMan says, you should be OK. Maybe some other users can chime in. I use HCFR, and when I click "calibrate meter" in the beginning, a window pops up and says "calibration not needed", which I thought was a little strange.
what type display is the key.
refresh display, plasma and crt need the meter calibrate.

Loving D65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page