AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmarsh View Post
Now I am completely confused by all these links.

I have the following:

TX-65DX902B TV

and

DMP-UB900

Which one do I download to check and calibrate using the user the TV controls?

Please bear in mind I do not a Blu-ray burner but a DVD -R writer in my PC.

Thank you kindly.
Hi, download the AVCHD.exe and burn the extracted ISO to a blank DVD-R.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, download the AVCHD.exe and burn the extracted ISO to a blank DVD-R.
Yes. Already done that several times. It gives me a link and I end up with AVCHD-2d.exe. I have many different copies.

It is your signature that points to a link

With respect it causes the confusion and that is where I go to. Hence my question.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. Already done that several times. It gives me a link and I end up with AVCHD-2d.exe. I have many different copies.

It is your signature that points to a link

With respect it causes the confusion and that is where I go to. Hence my question.
Yes, that's they correct file (AVSHD-2d.exe), it's the AVCHD version of AVSHD 2.0d calibration disk.

My signature has link for another (free/lite) version of my calibration disk, not related with AVSHD.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-21-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, that's they correct file (AVSHD-2b.exe), it's the AVCHD version of AVSHD 2.0b calibration disk.

My signature has link for another (free/lite) version of my calibration disk, not related with AVSHD.
Thanks for the clarification.

The file I downloaded from the link shows AVCHD-2d.exe and creates AVCHD-2d.iso and I burnt and not AVCHD-2b.exe.

Typo on your behalf?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

The file I downloaded from the link shows AVCHD-2d.exe and creates AVCHD-2d.iso and I burnt and not AVCHD-2b.exe.

Typo on your behalf?
Yes, typo from my end, it's the 2d (2.0d) the latest version

Old 08-24-2016, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi, with OP links you can download the v2.0d (latest) while with the SpectraCAL links you can download some older versions (1.2b/1.2).
Thanks! I didn't notice that. SpectraCAL should update their site considering it's been over 5 years since the latest version released.

One more question for you guys. On a Mac, once I mount the ISO image to the disk, why won't it run? QuickTime supports Blu-ray as does VLC…

So if I wanna run the program directly from my Mac without burning a Blu-ray/DVD, is MP4 my only option?

Edit: QuickTime does not support Blu-ray. It does however support AVCHD.

Last edited by avsproha; 08-24-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsproha View Post
One more question for you guys. On a Mac, once I mount the ISO image to the disk, why won't it run? QuickTime supports Blu-ray as does VLC…

So if I wanna run the program directly from my Mac without burning a Blu-ray/DVD, is MP4 my only option?
The version you have download is the AVCHD format which is not a native blu-ray format. If you want to download the blu-ray version, get the HDMV file.

Also you need to use a software player which can playback full blu-ray menus from ISO files. for MAC is the Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
The version you have download is the AVCHD format which is not a native blu-ray format. If you want to download the blu-ray version, get the HDMV file.

Also you need to use a software player which can playback full blu-ray menus from ISO files. for MAC is the Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player.
So the default players on Mac will not playback ISO?

I tried both the HDMV and AVCHD versions. Both mount to disk just fine. But then when clicked on to open, HDMV says "cannot open". AVCHD does open but it just shows a bunch of raw files with no menus.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the default players on Mac will not playback ISO?

I tried both the HDMV and AVCHD versions. Both mount to disk just fine. But then when clicked on to open, HDMV says "cannot open". AVCHD does open but it just shows a bunch of raw files with no menus.
Apple hasn't payed (& will never pay) to Sony for getting the license for Blu-Ray's DRM, so you will need a third party software for this, like the one I mentioned.
avsproha likes this.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 PM

Hey guys. I have an LG 55EG9100 1080p OLED TV. I've having some issues calibrating it properly. I'm using the AVS HD 709 HDMV version running on my Mac as an ISO image via HDMI to the TV.

I've gone through the "basic settings" calibration. The results are posted below along with my previous shared settings from Rtings.com, for comparison:

AVS HD 709 setting:
Brightness 55
Contrast 98
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint G3

Rtings shared setting:
Brightness 55
Contrast 95
Sharpness 0
Color 45
Tint 0

I came across a few issues when running through the calibration. I followed the instructions manual and started brightness calibration from 100 then went down, and contrast calibration from 0 then went up. In the Black Clipping screen for brightness calibration when at 100, I can only see 18-25 flashing. Literally everything to the left of 18 is completely black... Similarly, on the White Clipping screen for contrast calibration, starting from 0, I can only see 230-234. Everything to the right of that is completely white. So the only numbers that are visibly flashing on both patterns are only the ones that should be flashing at the ideal setting. I used the APL Clipping screen instead to calibrate the two to basically the highest and lowest setting before they drop off. I don't quite know what to make of this. Why can't I ever see both patterns flashing in full? Does this indicate an issue with the TV or something else?

Second, I've calibrated the color and tint to the flashing Color Pattern perfectly, and the color seems a little too vivid. It pops a little too much but according to the flashing color pattern, its just right. In addition, skin tones def look way too red. when I compare it to my iPhone screen it doesn't look natural on the TV. Maybe with the color I might just need some time to adjust to it but the tint is definitely off. Skin tones look too red. Will I need to mess with the color settings in the White Balance setting? Can I do that by eye or will it require a meter and software?

Lastly, where should the Color Temperature setting be? I'm used to keeping it on neutral because I've always associated that as being the most natural since the sun is rated around 6000k. The TV has Cool, Neutral, Warm 1, and Warm 2. Neutral and Warm 1 look the most natural depending on the scene. Warm 2 is way too yellow

Sorry this is long. I wanted to explain exerything! Thanks!

P.S.: The color fields test at 5% look terrible with lots of banding. It gets better at 10% and completely evens out by 20%.

P.P.S.: I asked this in another thread and one responder got really kinda hostile. I'm asking here instead since it pertains more to the AVS HD 709 disc.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just got a new HDTV the 40" Samsung J6200 and look forward to calibrating it, so many more options that my prior Sharp 32" didnt have including native full color range option and more gamma options

glad to see the mp4 links were finally officially supported and put into the OP, i remember a year or two ago they were hidden buried away on a random page within this thread.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Hey guys. I have an LG 55EG9100 1080p OLED TV. I've having some issues calibrating it properly. I'm using the AVS HD 709 HDMV version running on my Mac as an ISO image via HDMI to the TV.

... where should the Color Temperature setting be? I'm used to keeping it on neutral because I've always associated that as being the most natural since the sun is rated around 6000k. The TV has Cool, Neutral, Warm 1, and Warm 2. Neutral and Warm 1 look the most natural depending on the scene. Warm 2 is way too yellow...
A couple of review sites for my Samsung TV recommended Warm2, and while I was skeptical, the more movies I watched, the more I realized that was correct. Warm1 was a bit subdued, Normal had a definite bluish cast to things. A great test was the opening chess match in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. The drapes and background furnishings change dramatically from Normal to Warm2.

This doesn't apply to your TV other than ... keep watching some films and testing out both settings. Eventually you'll see that one seems more accurate for the films you know.

“What a funny, dirty little mind you have.”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 09-19-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Ted, how long does it normally take to get a download link for your Lite Disk? I wait for four days already and still nothing in my Inbox.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Ted, how long does it normally take to get a download link for your Lite Disk? I wait for four days already and still nothing in my Inbox.
Hi, the email with the download link is automatically delivered after a successful submited download link request.

If there errors in the captcha or other filling info tab, it's pointing the error with red letters and background color.

You can send me msg here to send you the info manually here: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/contact_us.html

or re-submit to the form.

Thanks.
Turrican4D likes this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-23-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
You can send me msg here to send you the info manually here: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/contact_us.html.
Thank you, Ted. I did just that a few seconds ago.

EDIT: It seems, like my Thunderbird discarded the original messages as Spam and deleted it. So the problem was on my side, Ted's response was actually lightning fast as he is today when he sent me the link again half an hour ago. Thanks Ted!
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.

Last edited by Turrican4D; 09-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
A couple of review sites for my Samsung TV recommended Warm2, and while I was skeptical, the more movies I watched, the more I realized that was correct. Warm1 was a bit subdued, Normal had a definite bluish cast to things. A great test was the opening chess match in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. The drapes and background furnishings change dramatically from Normal to Warm2.

This doesn't apply to your TV other than ... keep watching some films and testing out both settings. Eventually you'll see that one seems more accurate for the films you know.
Yeah in the end, normal did look too neutral. I did some comparisons and ended up putting it on Warm 1 for everyday watching. While I agree for movies Warm 2 would probably be just right, however for regular tv, it just looks too warm. White button-down shirts end up looking yellow.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good day to you all!

Yesterday I received my LG 55B6V, which I'm very happy with, but I think I have something weird with calibrating.

All my devices (media player, ps4, tv box, blu-ray player) are connect to my receiver (Denon AVR-X2000) and from there and HDMI cable goes into the HDMI2 (ARC) port on the tv.
Yesterday I ran the calibration software from my media player and everything looks stunning when playing content from there. The thing is that when i switch to TV everything looks washed out.

I don't understand how as i only use one source on the tv, which is my receiver. I couldn't find any picture settings in my tv box, at least nothing related to brightness, contrast etc...

Does anyone have an idea what the issue can be?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn85 View Post
Good day to you all!

Yesterday I received my LG 55B6V, which I'm very happy with, but I think I have something weird with calibrating.

All my devices (media player, ps4, tv box, blu-ray player) are connect to my receiver (Denon AVR-X2000) and from there and HDMI cable goes into the HDMI2 (ARC) port on the tv.
Yesterday I ran the calibration software from my media player and everything looks stunning when playing content from there. The thing is that when i switch to TV everything looks washed out.

I don't understand how as i only use one source on the tv, which is my receiver. I couldn't find any picture settings in my tv box, at least nothing related to brightness, contrast etc...

Does anyone have an idea what the issue can be?

Thanks for your help!!
Maybe one is running an rgb limited signal and one is running a rgb full? When you say media player what are you referring to hardware wise?
bigdogaxis and Dominic Chan like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Buenos dias a todos.

He comprado hace un par de semanas un Samsung 55KU6400 y me gustaria calibrar la imagen, creo que la imagen se ve demasiado clara, alguien me podria indicar con que herramientas lo puedo hacer o ponerme una calibracion que sea optima. Gracias
GlassEtcher likes this.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good morning.

I bought a couple of weeks ago and Samsung 55KU6400 I would like to calibrate the picture, I think the image looks too light, someone could tell me what tools can do it or get a calibration that is optimal. Thank you
Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Great thread But if I play it on PC with the MPC or via my mediaplayer Dune Base 3D I dont have an overview. Which chapter, which videofile is the right one for brightness and contrast with the bars from 1 to 30 or whatever?
Thank you very much in advance
Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm playing around trying to tuneup the color settings using this below pattern with my TV's blue filter and it does a nice job
Wondering is there another patterns or ways that I can use along with the tv's other red and green color filters to tune in those colors also ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1729193  
Old 10-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So when using the white clipping the 253 has to blink or should it be fully white?

And then I still dont know what to set the PC/TV to when playing 8bit and 10bit files?!

I can only select 8bpc and 12bpc on my 970GTX (why not 10?!). And RGB full is ok I am guessing.
Then my TV (LG OLED B6) has the HDMI ultra deep colour for 10 bit stuff. Is it ok to enable that even if I playback 8bit stuff via pc?

And what about the colour range. I think normal is ok for 8bit stuff but what if I go above that? Then select wide or extended?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530