AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #4411 of 4543 Old 12-31-2016, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Any updates on getting at least one of these disc versions to work on the Samsung K8500 UHD Player? I just picked up the player today and have tried both HDMV and AVCHD versions burned to DVD. HDMV(DVDM) didn't play at all (popped up an error). AVCHD is beyond flaky. 9/10 times I can't even get it to play. And when I do get it to play, I can't move thru patterns properly and if I get into patterns they seem to freeze up, I can't get back to the menu to start over.

I have a BD burner, but no media. Earlier reports seem to indicate burning to BD media won't help anyways, so I'm hesitant to go dump some money on media just to see it not work as well.

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4543 Old 01-01-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Any updates on getting at least one of these disc versions to work on the Samsung K8500 UHD Player? I just picked up the player today and have tried both HDMV and AVCHD versions burned to DVD. HDMV(DVDM) didn't play at all (popped up an error). AVCHD is beyond flaky. 9/10 times I can't even get it to play. And when I do get it to play, I can't move thru patterns properly and if I get into patterns they seem to freeze up, I can't get back to the menu to start over.

I have a BD burner, but no media. Earlier reports seem to indicate burning to BD media won't help anyways, so I'm hesitant to go dump some money on media just to see it not work as well.
Hi, it's a player problem, it's not reading properly Adobe Encore authored projects. You player is the only model in the world (I have seen) that suffer from this issue, it will be helpful if you can contact Samsung Support and report that problem, sending them the link to download the AVSHD; so they may fix that in a future firmware release.
ChromeJob likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4413 of 4543 Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What is the preferred pattern to set color with, flashing primary colors (b1) or flashing color decoder (b2)?

On my samsung plasma (F8500), using the built in color filters, 50 is right for all three colors on b1 and 51 for all three on b2.

post #4414 of 4543 Old 01-02-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
What is the preferred pattern to set color with, flashing primary colors (b1) or flashing color decoder (b2)?

On my samsung plasma (F8500), using the built in color filters, 50 is right for all three colors on b1 and 51 for all three on b2.
Hi, CMS Calibration is not possible by only looking build in filters or by any type of $1 filter that is coming with disks or by photographic use quality and more expensive ones (Rosco E-Colour Tokyo Blue #071 or Lee Sheet Colour Filter #071 Tokyo or Kodak Deep Blue Tricolor #47B).

Blue Filter Glasses are useless for displays other than CRT.

Blue filters used before 10-15 years mainly for CRT Displays where only Color/Tint controls were available for CMS; the calibration software/meter access were so limited and so expensive.....now in 2015 you can get an amazing for the performance colorimeter like X-Rite's i1Display PRO and by using an open source software for free (like HCFR), there is no reason to use any blue filter anymore.

Now most of the displays are coming with 6-Axis CMS controls.

Blue filters (on CRT) can work where for example the Red Primary is fully saturated and have no blue or green...blue primary has no green or red etc....But a fully saturated Primary needs to have the other 2 primaries added to be able to de-saturated it to it's target....so viewing thru the blue filter you will have light coming from all three primaries and this will make it's blue filter purpose of matching the luminance method no longer work.

When you will buy a colorimeter and use a software to perform a gamut calibration, when you will have calibrated the display full CMS, look throu the blue filter....you will see that it will look so bad. Blue filters designed to work for display that their primaries are tracking REC.709, now all modern displays have wider gamut coverage from REC.709, this is another one reason that Blue Filter is not worth it to use nowadays.

BTW I have posted there: What is the best calibration disc??? what you can do and what you can't do with only a calibration disk.

The only think you can do with a color clipping pattern is to check (reduce color or contrast) and prevent color clipping of primary/secondary color luminance levels.

If you decide to buy a meter, the X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter is the best choice, for it's value/price, and get prepared to spend some time to get more deeper about how calibration stuff work.

There free calibration software solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #4415 of 4543 Old 01-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, it's a player problem, it's not reading properly Adobe Encore authored projects. You player is the only model in the world (I have seen) that suffer from this issue, it will be helpful if you can contact Samsung Support and report that problem, sending them the link to download the AVSHD; so they may fix that in a future firmware release.
I got a little further, but only to get me to where everyone else is. Before my playback was totally flaky and most often didn't work. I thought it might be my media and I had some Memorex DVD+R DL disks and tried one of those. The burn and verification took forever (almost an hour) and then I did a separate ISO to disc comparison using ImgBurn to confirm a good burn.

Now I get the random skipping on the Samsung UHD player when showing 21 point grayscales like others have reported. Interestingly, I don't get random skipping when using the basic stuff at the top like PLUGE.

I took the same disc and popped it into an ancient Samsung BD-P1400 and it played perfectly with no skipping around. So, hopefully that is something Samsung can't ignore since their much older product handles it flawlessly. Now I have good ammo to send in a support request.
ConnecTEDDD and ChromeJob like this.

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #4416 of 4543 Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Hi, CMS Calibration is not possible by only looking build in filters or by any type of $1 filter that is coming with disks or by photographic use quality and more expensive ones (Rosco E-Colour Tokyo Blue #071 or Lee Sheet Colour Filter #071 Tokyo or Kodak Deep Blue Tricolor #47B).

Blue Filter Glasses are useless for displays other than CRT.

Blue filters used before 10-15 years mainly for CRT Displays where only Color/Tint controls were available for CMS; the calibration software/meter access were so limited and so expensive.....now in 2015 you can get an amazing for the performance colorimeter like X-Rite's i1Display PRO and by using an open source software for free (like HCFR), there is no reason to use any blue filter anymore.

Now most of the displays are coming with 6-Axis CMS controls.

Blue filters (on CRT) can work where for example the Red Primary is fully saturated and have no blue or green...blue primary has no green or red etc....But a fully saturated Primary needs to have the other 2 primaries added to be able to de-saturated it to it's target....so viewing thru the blue filter you will have light coming from all three primaries and this will make it's blue filter purpose of matching the luminance method no longer work.

When you will buy a colorimeter and use a software to perform a gamut calibration, when you will have calibrated the display full CMS, look throu the blue filter....you will see that it will look so bad. Blue filters designed to work for display that their primaries are tracking REC.709, now all modern displays have wider gamut coverage from REC.709, this is another one reason that Blue Filter is not worth it to use nowadays.

BTW I have posted there: What is the best calibration disc??? what you can do and what you can't do with only a calibration disk.

The only think you can do with a color clipping pattern is to check (reduce color or contrast) and prevent color clipping of primary/secondary color luminance levels.

If you decide to buy a meter, the X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter is the best choice, for it's value/price, and get prepared to spend some time to get more deeper about how calibration stuff work.
Thanks for this Ted. So it does not make a difference that I am using the tvs RGB only mode and not a blue filter? Likewise, I am not using the color clipping pattern but the two patterns designated on the disc for setting color - Flashing primary colors and flashing color decoder.
post #4417 of 4543 Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Thanks for this Ted. So it does not make a difference that I am using the tvs RGB only mode and not a blue filter? Likewise, I am not using the color clipping pattern but the two patterns designated on the disc for setting color - Flashing primary colors and flashing color decoder.
Hi Michael, it will not work, even with perfect calibrated display with 3D LUT and 10.000 color points calibrated, it will not look good. leave the CMS at default (if you don't use meter) and check only the color clipping pattern to see if it's required to reduce contrast or color slider.

post #4418 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi Michael, it will not work, even with perfect calibrated display with 3D LUT and 10.000 color points calibrated, it will not look good. leave the CMS at default (if you don't use meter) and check only the color clipping pattern to see if it's required to reduce contrast or color slider.
Is there a pattern to check the clipping for magenta, cyan and yellow anf flesh tone?
My Tv has those settings besides red,green and blue.

Also what does white balance do and what patterns can I use to check it?
My tv has a 2 point settings with the three primary color gain and offsets and aso a 10 point setting.
I played with it in the 2 point setting and honestly I didnt understand what it was doing.
post #4419 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
Is there a pattern to check the clipping for magenta, cyan and yellow anf flesh tone?
My Tv has those settings besides red,green and blue.

Also what does white balance do and what patterns can I use to check it?
My tv has a 2 point settings with the three primary color gain and offsets and aso a 10 point setting.
I played with it in the 2 point setting and honestly I didnt understand what it was doing.
There color clipping patterns available to various calibration disks.

The 2/10-Point RGB Balance controls can be used to calibrated Grayscale/Gamma, this need a meter/software and some practice to be able to do it yourself.

The RGB-Gains control the mid-high end of grayscale, the RGB-Cuts the mid-low end.

post #4420 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
There color clipping patterns available to various calibration disks.

The 2/10-Point RGB Balance controls can be used to calibrated Grayscale/Gamma, this need a meter/software and some practice to be able to do it yourself.

The RGB-Gains control the mid-high end of grayscale, the RGB-Cuts the mid-low end.
Thank you for the reply.
Would you recommend a free pattern to check the clipping on those colors?

I will just leave the white balance settings on defaut, I didnt notice any difference when I tried them.
post #4421 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.
Would you recommend a free pattern to check the clipping on those colors?

I will just leave the white balance settings on defaut, I didnt notice any difference when I tried them.
Download the AVSHD from the links you can find to the first post of that thread.

To get an idea of what adjustments you do when you using color clipping pattern see there (labels will say Ted's disk, but application is the same using patterns from other disks also):

Using the Contrast Flashing Bars Pattern, you are checking this area:

Using the Advanced Contrast Flashing Bars Pattern, you are checking additionally the RGBCMY also:

Using the 7-Color Clipping Bars Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel (WRGBCMY), this sometimes can be fixed be removing some additionally clicks from the contrast control also, you are checking these areas:

post #4422 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi,

If I turn up contrast to clip white at 235, when I check the colour clipping pattern the colours are still flashing up beyond 240. Is that normal?
post #4423 of 4543 Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 PM

What exactly am I supposed to use 4-flashing color bars??

I found an old avia disc with the included blue,red,green filters.

I'm not understanding what to do because using the color setting I am not anywhere near to have the flashing box match the background bar on both left and right.

What am I looking for thru the blue filter?

Last edited by HammerJoe; 01-12-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #4424 of 4543 Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

My K8500 won't play the disk either. It just quickly jumps from one track to the next on it's own. I'm using a PS4 set to limited RGB to calibrate. Going to hook up an old LG Blu-ray player I have and see if my readings are similar since it uses ycbcr.
post #4425 of 4543 Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
My K8500 won't play the disk either. It just quickly jumps from one track to the next on it's own. I'm using a PS4 set to limited RGB to calibrate. Going to hook up an old LG Blu-ray player I have and see if my readings are similar since it uses ycbcr.
Definitely a difference in using a Blu ray player vs a PS4. My De values jumped up a little bit for greyscale using BD player but the gamma at the low end is off the charts up over 3 using BD player. The PS4 was showing gamma pretty close on the low end which didn't make sense since we know you have to raise lumance at the low end to get gamma back down to around 2.3 at 5%.
post #4426 of 4543 Old 01-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Well hopefully I just solved my problem. The Phillips UHD player just went on sale at BB. I returned my Samsung and bought the Phillips instead. Hopefully it won't have the same problems
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

post #4427 of 4543 Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What exactly am I supposed to use 4-flashing color bars??

I found an old avia disc with the included blue,red,green filters.

I'm not understanding what to do because using the color setting I am not anywhere near to have the flashing box match the background bar on both left and right.

What am I looking for thru the blue filter?
Hi, no need to use them, this method is not working, see there: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

post #4428 of 4543 Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question regarding this disc as it pertains to grayscale. Television in question is a slightly older Samsung UN55D8000.

The set cannot achieve a high contrast setting when placed in a color temperature closest to the standard. Samsung calls it "Warm 2" and it has shown to be extremely accurate on these models, I think Scott Wilkinson's review back in the day needed little to no grayscale adjustment, which is great and all, but when in Warm 2, the contrast must be lowered or the grayscale turns pink at the top end, mainly 80% to white. Using a cooler color temperature allows the contrast to be increased.

Example: Grayscale is uniform on Warm 2 at 80% contrast setting. Warm 1 at 85%, Standard can get to nearly 100% or Max.

What is happening here? Are these LED driven LCD sets inherently blue due to the light? It would seem as though The less red in the white balance, the more contrast can be introduced before the grayscale falls apart.

I find this annoying as the limitation of contrast at 82% leaves the set quite dull in comparison to 95%.

I guess this may be more geared towards calibration than the Disc being used, but I am using this disc's test patterns to observe this.

Cheers.
post #4429 of 4543 Old 01-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a way to use this with my nvidia shield tv either with a usb or Chromecast?
post #4430 of 4543 Old 01-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, this is a lot of info to assimilate. Which file should I DL to burn a BD test disc? I want to calibrate my projector which is using a PS3 for BD. Are there instruction files included with the DL?
post #4431 of 4543 Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
Is there a way to use this with my nvidia shield tv either with a usb or Chromecast?
You can use the MP4 version of the patterns.
post #4432 of 4543 Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffypuck View Post
Wow, this is a lot of info to assimilate. Which file should I DL to burn a BD test disc? I want to calibrate my projector which is using a PS3 for BD. Are there instruction files included with the DL?
AVCHD. It's all in the first post. There's also a link to a manual on how to use the patterns.
post #4433 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 05:16 AM

I want to give a go with cms on my set and want to try with 75% technique but i am confused what patterns to use from this kit.
I have been using the patterns inside the hcfr folder (should i use a different one for more accurate results?) And in it theres a100% color folder, a 75% color and saturation.

Changed the prefs in hcfr to rec 709 75%/75% and the cie chart updates by showing the color linex on the third spot as expected.
But when using both the 100% and the 75% patterns it shows the results on the outer markers.
75% saturation inside the saturation folder shows results in the third marker.
Is this the correct pattern to use to for the 75% technique?
post #4434 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You can use the MP4 version of the patterns.
Thanks Dominic Chan
post #4435 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I want to give a go with cms on my set and want to try with 75% technique but i am confused what patterns to use from this kit.
I have been using the patterns inside the hcfr folder (should i use a different one for more accurate results?) And in it theres a100% color folder, a 75% color and saturation.

Changed the prefs in hcfr to rec 709 75%/75% and the cie chart updates by showing the color linex on the third spot as expected.
But when using both the 100% and the 75% patterns it shows the results on the outer markers.
75% saturation inside the saturation folder shows results in the third marker.
Is this the correct pattern to use to for the 75% technique?
Hi, there is no 75% Stimulus with 75% Saturation Patterns in AVSHD disk.

Also from the AVSHD Saturation Sweeps; using 75% Saturation with 100% Stimulus; the patterns are not matching the RGB Triplets of HCFR engine, they are slight different.

For Example:

AVSHD 50% Red Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 190.95.95 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from RGB Triplet 191.96.96, it's 0.42 dE2000 error.

AVSHD 75% Magenta Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 203.100.203 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from RGB Triplet 202.99.202, it's 0.36 dE2000 error.

Here is an example of calibration disk which is accurate for HCFR users: ***Official B/C/E/G6P OLED Calibration Thread

post #4436 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AVSHD 50% Red Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 190.95.95 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from RGB Triplet 191.96.96, it's 0.42 dE2000 error.

AVSHD 75% Magenta Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 203.100.203 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from RGB Triplet 202.99.202, it's 0.36 dE2000 error.
Hi Ted,
I just checked HCFR 3.4.2. It does show for 191.96.96 for 50% Red Saturation, but 203.100.203 (correctly) for 75% Magenta Saturation.
post #4437 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Hi, there is no 75% Stimulus with 75% Saturation Patterns in AVSHD disk.

Also from the AVSHD Saturation Sweeps; using 75% Saturation with 100% Stimulus; the patterns are not matching the RGB Triplets of HCFR engine, they are slight different.

For Example:

Here is an example of calibration disk which is accurate for HCFR users: ***Official B/C/E/G6P OLED Calibration Thread
The copy I downloaded incudes the folders named Colorhcfr, Chromapur and calman.

None of these will work?
post #4438 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Hi Ted,
I just checked HCFR 3.4.2. It does show for 191.96.96 for 50% Red Saturation, but 203.100.203 (correctly) for 75% Magenta Saturation.
Hi Dominic, I made a mistake to my post, to see the correct values, inverse the numbers I posted, the correct sentence is:

AVSHD 75% Magenta Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 202.99.202 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from 203.100.203 RGB Triplet , it's 0.36 dE2000 error.

post #4439 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The copy I downloaded incudes the folders named Colorhcfr, Chromapur and calman.

None of these will work?
No, there no patterns available to AVSHD for Color Gamut using 75% Saturation with 75% Luminance patterns.

post #4440 of 4543 Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Dominic, I made a mistake to my post, to see the correct values, inverse the numbers I posted, the correct sentence is:

AVSHD 75% Magenta Saturation Pattern has RGB Triplet 202.99.202 but HCFR's Color Engine needs/calculates errors from 203.100.203 RGB Triplet , it's 0.36 dE2000 error.
Thanks Ted. I've just placed an order for your pattern disc and will use that for the final adjustments.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page