AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #4501 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I've downloaded and burned this to DVD (I don't have a drive that will burn to BluRay DVD). I've also tried putting the various videos into a special folder in my Plex setup and playing them from there using the Plex app on my two Android TV's (both 4K Sony's, one is 2016 model one is 2017 model).

I can't get any of the various videos to blink the way that they're supposed to. I've tried running brightness and contrast both all the way up and all the way down, and I never get the patterns to flash as I'm supposed to. I have the light sensor turned off along with all of the other "automatic" picture settings. What am I missing?

When using the DVD that I burned, I'm playing it back in a Sony UBP-X800 with output resolution set to "Native" (I see 720p on the TV which is what I would expect since the TV is set to do the upscaling).
Did you burn the AVCHD version? That should work.

Note that there's no such thing as a "BluRay DVD". It's either DVD or Blu-ray.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, NHT Classic 3s, Classic ThreeC, SuperZero 2.1s, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450,
NHT Absolute Center, Energy Veritas 5.1s, 5.2C, V-Mini-C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Did you burn the AVCHD version? That should work.

Note that there's no such thing as a "BluRay DVD". It's either DVD or Blu-ray.
Yes, I used the AVCHD version of the content. In fact, I downloaded AVCHD-2d.7z. I decompressed to get the ISO image and burned to DVD.

My TV's are Sony XBR75X940D and XBR49X900E. My experience with them is that I get the same exact results (or lack thereof) when trying to adjust brightness or contrast - I can not get anywhere near to the sections that are supposed to be configured, and I don't even get an even level of control at all. I will see flashing along the upper and lower edges further to the left than what I see in the middle of the panel.

I'm using the Custom picture settings, but I've also tried it with CinemaPro, CinemaHome, and a couple of other general presets as well. Results are always just about the same.

I'm aware of my mistake. I meant to write BluRay Disc but wrote DVD instead (too many things going on at once).
post #4503 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 2017
Quote:
Yes, I used the AVCHD version of the content. In fact, I downloaded AVCHD-2d.7z. I decompressed to get the ISO image and burned to DVD.

My TV's are Sony XBR75X940D and XBR49X900E. My experience with them is that I get the same exact results (or lack thereof) when trying to adjust brightness or contrast - I can not get anywhere near to the sections that are supposed to be configured, and I don't even get an even level of control at all. I will see flashing along the upper and lower edges further to the left than what I see in the middle of the panel.

I'm using the Custom picture settings, but I've also tried it with CinemaPro, CinemaHome, and a couple of other general presets as well. Results are always just about the same.

I'm aware of my mistake. I meant to write BluRay Disc but wrote DVD instead (too many things going on at once).
Hi, what's your source you playback the AVSHD and what's the video output settings?

With Sony, they have different names to controls that can confuse.

For example the controls Brightness of Sony controls the power of the back-light, the luminance output, It's the back-light control. This need meter to adjust it, since movies mastered to specific luminance levels, if you don't have meter then use a settings comfortable for your eyes which will not tire your eyes after hours of watching.

The control of Sony named as Black Level, controls near black levels, so you will use the Brightness pattern to adjust it.

See some videos here: http://www.tlvexp.ca/tutorials/

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

post #4504 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, what's your source you playback the AVSHD and what's the video output settings?

With Sony, they have different names to controls that can confuse.

For example the controls Brightness of Sony controls the power of the back-light, the luminance output, It's the back-light control. This need meter to adjust it, since movies mastered to specific luminance levels, if you don't have meter then use a settings comfortable for your eyes which will not tire your eyes after hours of watching.

The control of Sony named as Black Level, controls near black levels, so you will use the Brightness pattern to adjust it.

See some videos here: http://www.tlvexp.ca/tutorials/
Are you asking for information in addition to what I've already posted?
post #4505 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you asking for information in addition to what I've already posted?
There were at previous page, ok, from your Sony player, the patterns supposed to be 1080p24 to your Sony TV info.

The Plex may expanding the levels from Video to Data so it will not be possible to see any bars flashing below 16 and higher from 235.

Download the MP4 files and load the from the Sony TV USB to use what bars you see flashing there.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #4506 of 4508 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
There were at previous page, ok, from your Sony player, the patterns supposed to be 1080p24 to your Sony TV info.

The Plex may expanding the levels from Video to Data so it will not be possible to see any bars flashing below 16 and higher from 235.

Download the MP4 files and load the from the Sony TV USB to use what bars you see flashing there.
I tried playing them using USB as well... No difference.

That was actually what I had tried originally, and gave up pretty much right away. Some months passed and I decided to try again using the ISO image burned to CD and it's no different. The Plex app was sort of a "I wonder if this would be different" test, and it wasn't.

I have a feeling that I'm missing something really simple because I generally can figure this stuff out pretty easily (have worked with technology forever, and work in a high-tech field... Have a pretty high-tech computer network at my house, too... this is beyond me for some reason).
post #4507 of 4508 Old Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried playing them using USB as well... No difference.

That was actually what I had tried originally, and gave up pretty much right away. Some months passed and I decided to try again using the ISO image burned to CD and it's no different. The Plex app was sort of a "I wonder if this would be different" test, and it wasn't.

I have a feeling that I'm missing something really simple because I generally can figure this stuff out pretty easily (have worked with technology forever, and work in a high-tech field... Have a pretty high-tech computer network at my house, too... this is beyond me for some reason).
To isolate the issue, for testing use the Sony Player and set it's output to native resolution with YCbCr output.

Be sure you are currently at Movie mode and what the current HDMI input you use from the TV don't have any PC icon as active or named (not sure if Sony has these labels, like LG or Samsung..where it's enabling their PC mode)

Disable @ movie mode all enhancements and display the contrast and brightness patterns, post here what numbers of bars you see flashing without any adjustment from you side and what is happening when you do adjustment. Post all results here.

post #4508 of 4508 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
...snip...
Maybe Tyler can help.

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page