post #541 of 4034 Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

By SD disc do you mean something different than the HD 709 colorspace? Haven't I seen 6xx or something like that?

Rec. 601 encoding is normally used for SD material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4034 Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Just a quick noob question. Could I burn this .iso to a CD to play in my A2. The directions indicate to use a DVD, but I already have CDs laying around the house, no DVDs. I did the A2 FW update via CD and it worked fine.
post #543 of 4034 Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post

Just a quick noob question. Could I burn this .iso to a CD to play in my A2. The directions indicate to use a DVD, but I already have CDs laying around the house, no DVDs. I did the A2 FW update via CD and it worked fine.

no you can't. A2 firmware updates are supposed to use CD-R that's why it works.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #544 of 4034 Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM

Just curious, is there not enough room on a CD-R or a different reason.
post #545 of 4034 Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post

Just curious, is there not enough room on a CD-R or a different reason.

There isnt enough room. That, and it just doesn't work the way you are thinking.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #546 of 4034 Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
also on each media there's a code telling the player "hey, I"m a DVD (Video, or DVD Data" or "hey, I'm a CD" (or BD, or HD DVD) etc etc etc.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #547 of 4034 Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Anybody else having problems with the file download using Mozilla?

XBL : neonima

PSN : NeoNima
post #548 of 4034 Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post

Anybody else having problems with the file download using Mozilla?

Mozilla works fine for me, what type of problem are you having?

Tom who?
post #549 of 4034 Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
first, thanks for all the work to put these discs together.

I have a Toshiba HD-A30 player, the disk does play, however, when using any of the menus, skipping to the next pattern takes more than 5 seconds, making this cumbersome to use for a grayscale run. Have I missed something in the player settings? or is this normal? I would assume the skip should be almost immediate.

thanks in advance
vega
post #550 of 4034 Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm not sure I get exactly what you're talking about unless you're using a version before the current RC1. My players take a few seconds to chapter skip, but I'd guess it's less than 5 seconds. It's long enough that if I hit chapter skip when the computer beeps I have to wait a little before telling HCFR to take the next reading. It also takes some time for my players to go from the menu to an individual section, and I suppose 5 seconds might be about right. All in all it's easier to use than trying DVE HD with HCFR. Considering the Display LT takes almost a minute to measure 0% with the average readings option, I consider it acceptable. Neither of my players are generally too snappy, so maybe it's possible that the Ulead disks are slower but I haven't noticed.

post #551 of 4034 Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

the delay is long enough that you would not be able to run an automated grayscale set of readings, instead you would have to take a single reading, and wait for the player to advance, then take another reading.

with getgray, and my standard DVD player. I am able to run a 21 point set of measurements, with a single click in the software, and advance the DVD when prompted. This is not only more convenient, but a lot faster.
post #552 of 4034 Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

the delay is long enough that you would not be able to run an automated grayscale set of readings, instead you would have to take a single reading, and wait for the player to advance, then take another reading.

with getgray, and my standard DVD player. I am able to run a 21 point set of measurements, with a single click in the software, and advance the DVD when prompted. This is not only more convenient, but a lot faster.

How much faster can you chapter skip through a movie?

Tom who?
post #553 of 4034 Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

How much faster can you chapter skip through a movie?

if you are asking if the unit is more responsive with a movie, the answer is much faster response to input. The GetGray disc responds the same in the Toshiba as it does my SD DVD. The HD Disc takes 5+ seconds to respond to input.
post #554 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

I was playing around with the AVCHD RC1 BR test disc on a PS3 and noticed that when it's on the main menu it's in 1080p, but as soon as I go to one of the test patterns it switches to 1080i. Is this the way it's setup or is there another problem here?

Walter
post #555 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll assume that you're talking about using CalMAN. Bear5k mentioned having something along the lines of an autodetection for changing patterns but I've still never used the software. Like explained in the original post, the disk is primarily based upon using HCFR and as far as I know you always have to tell the software to read the next pattern. If there's a way to make the disk more user-friendly then we'll consider it, but if you're using Calman I've still never checked out that feature.

Quote:

if you are asking if the unit is more responsive with a movie, the answer is much faster response to input. The GetGray disc responds the same in the Toshiba as it does my SD DVD. The HD Disc takes 5+ seconds to respond to input.

If your grayscale measurements match then you simply might want to continue using GetGray for grayscale. The different encoding between the disks shouldn't matter for grayscale if your player is decoding correctly. Where hwjohn was probably going, is the disk slower than a commercial HD DVD? Like I said, I don't remember the disk being any more of an issue than trying to take measurements from DVE HD when it would actually load on my player. Comparing this to a SD DVD is a bit pointless from my perspective because they don't use the same encoding, and software to cheaply author HD material is more limited.

post #556 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

I was playing around with the AVCHD RC1 BR test disc on a PS3 and noticed that when it's on the main menu it's in 1080p, but as soon as I go to one of the test patterns it switches to 1080i. Is this the way it's setup or is there another problem here?

The disc is actually encoded interlaced. What you are seeing is that the PS3 is switching the output to 1080i when it's playing 1080i material. You can force the PS3 to not output 1080i by unchecking the 1080i box in the PS3's video options. However the PS3 will not deinterlace 1080i material to 1080p. If you force 1080p output with 1080i material, the PS3 will just scale each 1920x540 feild to a 1920x1080 frame. Doing this would only cause an issue with any test pattern that involves vertical resolution.

Quote:

Getgray is running in SD mode since it's authored as a SD disc. AVS HD is running in HD mode since it's authored as a HD DVD. That may be what is causing the difference in response time you are seeing. You'd have to check the chapter skip response time on a standard HD DVD movie to make a real comparison. Unless a standard HD DVD responds significantly faster then AVS HD there probably isn't anything they could do to improve the situation.
post #557 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

That's the way the disk is authored. The Blu-ray versions are still 1080i. Ulead's software doesn't seem to accept a 24p video without transcoding as currently noted in Known Issue #2. I can modify the program's output to substitute 24p video, but I'm not sure if the alterations are actually compliant. Earlier tests on a judder video showed that the PS3 wasn't playing back the altered files correctly, but for the test we were using mpeg2 which is not actually part of the AVCHD spec.

At this point the only way that we could probably do progressive is to use 30fps, which Ulead might accept. We can send the videos that are used to create the HD DVD straight to BDMV or we could do a 30fps without pulldown for BDMV. For the AVCHD, which is the primary interest of most people due to Blu-ray burner costs, I'm not so sure that 30 fps progressive is part of the spec http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html Short of using software costing 5 digits I'm not aware of a way to author 24p (similar to most Blu-ray commercial disks) to both AVCHD and BDMV.

post #558 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I'll assume that you're talking about using CalMAN. Bear5k mentioned having something along the lines of an autodetection for changing patterns but I've still never used the software. Like explained in the original post, the disk is primarily based upon using HCFR and as far as I know you always have to tell the software to read the next pattern. If there's a way to make the disk more user-friendly then we'll consider it, but if you're using Calman I've still never checked out that feature.

If your grayscale measurements match then you simply might want to continue using GetGray for grayscale. The different encoding between the disks shouldn't matter for grayscale if your player is decoding correctly. Where hwjohn was probably going, is the disk slower than a commercial HD DVD? Like I said, I don't remember the disk being any more of an issue than trying to take measurements from DVE HD when it would actually load on my player. Comparing this to a SD DVD is a bit pointless from my perspective because they don't use the same encoding, and software to cheaply author HD material is more limited.

thanks for the replys
CalMan does have an autosense feature in the latest release, I will give it a shot.
In HCFR I set the generator to view images, then let the beep prompt me to advance the dvd, so like CalMan, I can automate the grayscale using an external dvd, the pc display will blank during a reading, but this is not a drawback. HCFR has a latency time in the advanced menu, but I have found it does not go further than 1 second.
How would I determine if the player is decoding properly using GetGray as opposed to HD DVD?

thanks again
vega
post #559 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Ok i have a very noob question..i have the file on a dvd...popped it into my hd dvd player and it comes up....i started the basic settings chapter and have no idea what to do.
post #560 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the replys
CalMan does have an autosense feature in the latest release, I will give it a shot.
In HCFR I set the generator to view images, then let the beep prompt me to advance the dvd, so like CalMan, I can automate the grayscale using an external dvd, the pc display will blank during a reading, but this is not a drawback. HCFR has a latency time in the advanced menu, but I have found it does not go further than 1 second.
How would I determine if the player is decoding properly using GetGray as opposed to HD DVD?

thanks again
vega

I'm not going to comment on using display images with HCFR because my impression is that DVD manual would be the way to use the disk with HCFR.

You could do a run with GetGray and then do a run with the 709 disk. You can then compare the measurements reported by each run. What you would want to look for is if the measurements are similar and within the measurement error of the probe. If you're not familiar with the measurement error of your probe (how much the same measurement can vary), then do two runs with GetGray and two runs with the 709 disk. The varation between each other for the two GetGray and 709 runs will give you an idea of how much the probe can vary. If the difference between the GetGray and 709 run is similar to the differences between the similar disk measurements then it really doesn't matter what disk you use for grayscale. Colors between the HD and SD disk will vary though and that's more along the lines for the reasoning in using an HD disk.

post #561 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike45 View Post

i have the file on a dvd...popped it into my hd dvd player and it comes up....i started the basic settings chapter and have no idea what to do.

See "TITLES AND CHAPTERS" in the first post.

post #562 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

thanks alluringreality
I'll give it a shot
post #563 of 4034 Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi alluringreality,

Thanks for the test disc.

I would prefer 1080p/60hz not 24hz, but if you can't do it then I'll take the 1080i/60.

Does anyone happen to know where the title button is on the PS3 bluetooth remote, the chapter button is the double arrow but I don't know which is the title button.
Thanks again.

Walter
post #564 of 4034 Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hello, I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 (Firmware 1.6) that will not read ANY of these disks I have been trying to create for it. I have used new Maxell DVD-R, Memorex DVD+RW and my Fujifilm DVD+R. All three types I can burn the AVCHD iso to but the player fails to read them with an error msg that states "Unable to read disk" or something similar.

Im not positive but I am thinking that something is wrong with my burner although I have no problems burning other file types and other iso's.

So my question today will be, can these files be transferred to a SD card and played that way? Since the player has an SD card slot that can play high-def video from AVCHD camcorders, can it also play these files if I was to extract them directly to the SD Card?

One more question, has anyone here been successfull at playing these files on their BD30?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Rod
post #565 of 4034 Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When there was the report about Sharp not working with AVCHD I took some disks to Best Buy. The BD30 there would at least load the AVCHD. My only real suggestion would be to try a different burner, but I suppose pulling the m2ts files might also work from what you said about the SD card.

post #566 of 4034 Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CORRECTED WITH v1.0 RELEASE

I used the near white patterns for the first time today and noticed that 93% was incorrect. It was encoded as 218 instead of 220. This will eventually be changed when the disk goes to the first release.

post #567 of 4034 Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I used the near white patterns for the first time today and noticed that 93% was incorrect. It was encoded as 218 instead of 220. This will eventually be changed when the disk goes to the first release. At the current time the only other planned change would be to make the near black section into windows to match the rest of the disk. It would be nice to have 24p video for Blu-ray, but I still don't know if that might be possible.

That reminds me. I get a consistent bump of dE at 70% gray. Could there be an error there as well? I realize it could be my TV or my probe also.
post #568 of 4034 Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for this great software. I just found this on the forums and burned the discs for Blu ray and HD DVD. I popped the blu ray one in my Sammy 1400 and it played perfectly. I'm using the most recent firmware from 2/28 off the US Samsung website, and I've got a BDP 1400 XAA specifically. Won't get to try this out until next weekend though. The HD DVD version works in my 2.8 firmware XA2 as well. I wish I had found these earlier this weekend!

HD A2 (Feb 07)
HD XA2 (Feb 08)
DMP-BD35K (Nov 08)
DMP-BD60K (Jun 09)

HD DVD Titles: 168
Blu-ray Titles: 430
post #569 of 4034 Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

That reminds me. I get a consistent bump of dE at 70% gray. Could there be an error there as well? I realize it could be my TV or my probe also.

Black is defined as 16 and white as 235. (235-16)/10=21.9 In sticking with those points there's a rounding that has to appear somewhere in a 10% grayscale from black to white. On this disk between 50% and 60% is a change of 21 and all the others are changes of 22. It's possible that this item related to rounding could show up in a gamma plot. It has been suggested an alternate way would be to use 236 for white so that all the steps of a 10% grayscale are an even 22 for plotting gamma, but white is defined as 235 so I have left the rounding item in. This sort of thing also shows up in near white and near black and other items that use small percentages because 1% is actually 2.19 but for the digital levels that were used to create the disk whole numbers have to be used.

All in all I question if the rounding item is what you're noticing. I don't necessarily consider it an error, just related to how the disk was created. This originally started out as merely a replacement for taking measurements from the DVE HD disk that wouldn't load far too often on my player and is still MIA on Blu-ray. My point is that a level change of 1 is probably within any other errors that might appear in the authoring process. The near white item was simply a clear mistake on my part unrelated to any small systematic errors that might appear in how the disk is put together.

post #570 of 4034 Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3willia View Post

II popped the blu ray one in my Sammy 1400 and it played perfectly. I'm using the most recent firmware from 2/28 off the US Samsung website, and I've got a BDP 1400 XAA specifically.

There was some prior discussion about the BD-P1400 not playing AVCHD from DVD. Are you using a Blu-ray disk?

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page