AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 3986 Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys
I have download calibration disk AVCHD.exe unpacked it via WinXP (took about 30 second and left me with a winRAR Archive.
I tried this time using my notebook and after double clicking the AVCHD.exe it unpacked it and left me this time a ISO file which I burnt onto a DVD via Nero Burning Rom but I cannot test it yet because I have a Samsung BD-P1000 and by the look at it samsungs are a no go.

Two questions I would like to know is why on my both desktops computers after I unpacked the dot exe it came up as a winrar file. Surely you don't burn this. Also, when I did the same in my notebook as you know it unpacked it with a nice little wheel as an iso file and when I burnt that to the DVD using Burning rom (ISO) and checked it later after burning it comes up with the same icon and when I double click on it, it fires up as Sonic Digital Media plus version 7 with the correct file to be burnt again.

Now just in case you try to burn it again with this Digital Media plus using a blank DVD it tells you to please insert a blank or Rewritable CD and if you put in a CD which you are not supposed to do in the first place, it tells you that the blank disc you have inserted does not have enough space and please insert a 1.2 gigabyte disc.

Where am I going wrong? or is it this way the way I did it via my notebook.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 3986 Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The procedure is to simply unpack the download and then burn the iso to DVD. The .7z has never been reported to have any issues, but instead of only offering a version that needs a program to unpack there is also the .exe version. There have been other reports of the .exe having issues on some windows computers. I'm only familiar with Nero and Imgburn for burning the iso so I'm not sure what other systems might do with it. By default winXP will not read the DVD created from the iso because it's UDF 2.5 format.
post #603 of 3986 Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post

Hi guys
I have download calibration disk AVCHD.exe unpacked it via WinXP (took about 30 second and left me with a winRAR Archive.
I tried this time using my notebook and after double clicking the AVCHD.exe it unpacked it and left me this time a ISO file which I burnt onto a DVD via Nero Burning Rom but I cannot test it yet because I have a Samsung BD-P1000 and by the look at it samsungs are a no go.

Two questions I would like to know is why on my both desktops computers after I unpacked the dot exe it came up as a winrar file. Surely you don't burn this. Also, when I did the same in my notebook as you know it unpacked it with a nice little wheel as an iso file and when I burnt that to the DVD using Burning rom (ISO) and checked it later after burning it comes up with the same icon and when I double click on it, it fires up as Sonic Digital Media plus version 7 with the correct file to be burnt again.

Now just in case you try to burn it again with this Digital Media plus using a blank DVD it tells you to please insert a blank or Rewritable CD and if you put in a CD which you are not supposed to do in the first place, it tells you that the blank disc you have inserted does not have enough space and please insert a 1.2 gigabyte disc.

Where am I going wrong? or is it this way the way I did it via my notebook.
Thanks

It is because of the file type associations in Windows. In Windows, every (almost) file extension has a program associated with it so that Windows knows what to use to open it. When WinRAR is installed, it automatically sets some file types to be associated with it, including ISO's for some reason. If you come back at a later date and install more software that does the same, then that association can change.

In short, all the files you are extracting are the same, but each computer thinks a different program should be use to open it. You can manually change the association if you want by going to My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File types (for Windows XP). Or, you can just ignore it and use your burning program to burn it regardless of the file type association. It will work either way. If you don't change the file type assocation, then every time you double click on it Windows will think WinRAR is supposed to open it.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #604 of 3986 Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks guys it explains it now. It works on my mates Sony.
post #605 of 3986 Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 AM

does this work on a ps3?

i burned the iso to the dvd using nero and i couldnt get the ps3 to recognize the disc as anything other than a data disk
post #606 of 3986 Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltrdPrcptn View Post

does this work on a ps3?

i burned the iso to the dvd using nero and i couldnt get the ps3 to recognize the disc as anything other than a data disk

As I've said before on this thread the iso burned with ImgBurn works like a charm on my PS3.
post #607 of 3986 Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltrdPrcptn View Post

does this work on a ps3?

You are using the AVCHD version, correct? If so, you might want to try ImgBurn, there have been some issues with older versions of Nero I believe.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #608 of 3986 Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

You are using the AVCHD version, correct? If so, you might want to try ImgBurn, there have been some issues with older versions of Nero I believe.

yeah i was...ill try imgburn

thx
post #609 of 3986 Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It also depends on which type of DVD you use. Using a DVD-R disc (or DVD-RW) is recommended (some players cannot read DVD+R discs). Check your PS3 manual.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #610 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

It also depends on which type of DVD you use. Using a DVD-R disc (or DVD-RW) is recommended (some players cannot read DVD+R discs). Check your PS3 manual.

I used a DVD+R and it worked fine on my PS3 (using AVCHD and ImgBurn).

Brandon
post #611 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Just wanted to say thanks for the effort that has been put into this. Also, the earlier versions were unusable on my HTPC running PowerDVD (menus wouldn't work), but the latest ISO of the HD-DVD format works perfectly!
post #612 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Has anyone used a Samsung BD-P1400 to run the Calibration disc AVCHD.EXE successfully or are samsung blu-ray players door stops for our calibration.
Thanks.
post #613 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Has anyone used a Samsung BD-P1400 to run the Calibration disc AVCHD.EXE successfully or are samsung blu-ray players door stops for our calibration.
Thanks.

I did. I had the P1400 for just two days. I set it up and ran the calibration on the very first night. It went reasonably well with good results, except that the player would not always respond to the remote. I figured it was something in the menu structure of the ISO, but I was wrong.

The next day, the P1400 stopped responding to the remote entirely and would not even respond to the controls on the face of the player. It locked up with a CD inside. So I pulled the power cord hoping this would reset the player. No such luck. When I plugged the cord back again, the player was dead. Based on the posts I have read in the Blu-Ray forum, this Samsung player is a real piece of junk. In fact, it seems like most Blu-Ray players are very troublesome.

I really want to go HD but I don't think Blu-Ray is ready for the masses yet. It is really a shame for the consumer that HD-DVD lost out. I have a theory too that prices are so high on Blu-Ray players and not dropping because of collusion between the Blu-Ray manufacturers and the price they had to pay to buy out studios and the movie rental companies. I could be way off base, but it is just hard to fathom how Blu-Ray won with player prices 2-3 times higher than HD-DVD and a format that was not as mature as HD-DVD.

Sean
post #614 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I really want to go HD but I don't think Blu-Ray is ready for the masses yet.

Oh, but it is. Perhaps the Sammy isn't ready for the masses, but I've got a PS3 that sure is!

Dave Hancock
post #615 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My 1400 will not play the DVD but otherwise mine works just fine.
post #616 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Oh, but it is. Perhaps the Sammy isn't ready for the masses, but I've got a PS3 that sure is!

Other than a little more storage capacity and studio support, the PS3 seemed to be the only thing Blu-Ray had going for it. I think the PS3 was a big factor in Blu-Ray's victory, but it is also a real thorn for me. Not everyone is into gaming and wants a funny looking machine sitting with the regular A/V stuff. It also bothers me that there is no stand-alone Blu-Ray player cheaper than a PS3. Either Sony is losing money on the PS3 or there is some truth to my speculation that high player prices are needed to fund the manufacturer's bribes.

Anyway, it seems we (mainly I) digress. The Blu-Ray pattern ISO worked as well on the Samsung BD-P1400 player as the HD-DVD pattern ISO worked on my Toshiba HD-XA2. If only the Samsung had lasted more than 2 days. It is gone now, never to return.

Sean
post #617 of 3986 Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

If it helps, I burned the ISO on a DVD-R with Image Burn. I ran the calibration only after updating the P1400 to FW 1.6. And this is what really hurts. I had put 4-5 hours into setting up the player, calibrating, and also setting up my universal remote... then it dies on me before I ever had a chance to pop in a Blu-Ray movie.

Good Luck with the 1400... I think you will need it.

Sean
post #618 of 3986 Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

So by the look at it all Samsungs are a waste of time as they are not compatible for what we want.
Humm Not to worry, trying to find someone with a blu-ray burner is just about impossible, still looking otherwise I will wait until the new profile players come out our way.
post #619 of 3986 Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM

[quote=Anyway, it seems we (mainly I) digress. The Blu-Ray pattern ISO worked as well on the Samsung BD-P1400 player as the HD-DVD pattern ISO worked on my Toshiba HD-XA2. If only the Samsung had lasted more than 2 days. It is gone now, never to return.[/QUOTE]

So you used the BDMV.EXE on blu-ray with no probs with the samsung until it died? I still have the BD-P1000 and it has been flogged to death by myself on my TV and the kids TV, in the last twelve months it has watch over 250 blu rays and DVD's in this period with only a firmware upgrade to fix move compatibility problems and has never missed a beat!.
( Touch wood! PS I hope I have not put a curse on it know)
post #620 of 3986 Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you used the BDMV.EXE on blu-ray with no probs with the samsung until it died? I still have the BD-P1000 and it has been flogged to death by myself on my TV and the kids TV, in the last twelve months it has watch over 250 blu rays and DVD's in this period with only a firmware upgrade to fix move compatibility problems and has never missed a beat!.
( Touch wood! PS I hope I have not put a curse on it know)

Yep... I used the ISO from the BDMV.exe file. Things looked real good with the Samsung for a day or so. I didn't even have any problems with the FW update.

Hope your BD-P1000 keeps chugging along. Just read a review in Home Theater magazine for the combination Samsung player (BD-UP5000). It got very low marks and they even mentioned the BD-P1000 in a review of the Panasonic DMP-BD30. Seems the BD-P1000 has been the only Blu-Ray player reviewed that did not have stellar video when playing back a Blu-Ray disc, but perhaps there are some differences in design for different markets. The exact words from the review were as follows: "apart from the first, unfortunate Samsung player (the BD-P1000), no Blu-Ray player I've seen has disappointed me in any way with its high definition picture quality." Reduced video quality may be the lesser of two evils if you are not getting the locks up or outright inability to play a disc like many of the other Samsung units. Then again, you shouldn't have either problem when plunking down $400 US or more.

Sean
post #621 of 3986 Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 AM

Hi
My first post here. Here's my calibrationfiles for my Benq W10000 projector. I think I maybe could tweak it a little bit more but it is quite good now as it is now.
My only concern is that I have problem getting the contrast higher.

I like my W10000 very much, it has really good menus for calibration.

I have attached two different calibrationfiles, one is for SD material and the other for HD. The SD has a bit better contrast!
I run the source material from a PS3 trough a Pioneer VSX-LX60 to my Benq W10000.

BenqW10k_SD_HD.zip 24.8359375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip BenqW10k_SD_HD.zip (24.8 KB, 0 views)
post #622 of 3986 Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Per our offer to host the ISOs on our server, folks can now download these directly from our server (hopefully faster, no ads/registration nagware):

www.spectracal.com/downloads/ (video_iso sub-directory)

We'll pull together a page on our website as well.

hwjohn/alluringreality - let me know your thoughts on any of the above.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #623 of 3986 Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

Per our offer to host the ISOs on our server, folks can now download these directly from our server (hopefully faster, no ads/registration nagware):

www.spectracal.com/downloads/ (video_iso sub-directory)

We'll pull together a page on our website as well.

hwjohn/alluringreality - let me know your thoughts on any of the above.

Bill

Looks good to me. alluring, can we put this in the first thread?

Tom who?
post #624 of 3986 Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OLD LINKS

DOWNLOADS:
AVCHD (.exe) or AVCHD (.7z) - RC1 Revision 2/21/08
The AVCHD can be burned to DVD for playback on compatible Blu-ray players. Sony and the PS3, Panasonic, Pioneer, and the LG BH200 Blu-ray players have all been reported to be AVCHD compatible.

BDMV (.exe) or BDMV (.7z) - RC1 Release 2/21/08
Some Blu-ray players such as Sharp, possibly Samsung and the LG BH100, do not support AVCHD playback from DVD. BDMV is offered for players incompatible with AVCHD. This format is intended to be burned to BD-RE disks using a Blu-ray burner.

HD DVD (.exe) or HD DVD (.7z) - RC1 Revision 2/21/08
The HD DVD can be burned to DVD for use in HD DVD players.
post #625 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

I just ordered the new Toshiba 42" 1080p LCD (42RV530U). I do have an XBOX 360 Elite & the HD-DVD Add On. I was planning on downloading the HD-DVD version to a DVD-R and running it in my HD-DVD Add On ...

Is this going to be useful to calibrate my LCD TV?

I also bought a new 5.1 Home Theater System - Is there a good, free calibration disc like this one that I can use for Audio Calibration?

Thanks!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #626 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, this disk will most definitely help you calibrate the LCD.

I'm not aware of anything free for the audio side.
post #627 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Yes, this disk will most definitely help you calibrate the LCD.

Excellent!! I'm glad to have found a HD Calibration disc that does 1080p! This LCD is my entry into Full HD and with this new LCD I was hoping to do an HD Calibration.

I do have an old AVIA Calibration Disc - I think it has 5.1 Surround Sound calibration - not sure - I'll look into it.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #628 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The original AVIA does in fact have 5.1 sound tests. That's what I use for audio setup.
post #629 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Gentlemen,

On the AVCHD.7z disk, I see a difference between the APL pattern in the Basic Settings title and the one included in the Adjust Gray. i.e. With tv contrast set to x, the near white flashing bars are invisible in the first pattern, but clearly distinct in the second. I would have thought them equal.

This pattern seems to work well in dealing with my tv's nasty dynamic brightness. Toshiba A30 to lcd.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
post #630 of 3986 Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyme View Post

On the AVCHD.7z disk...

Toshiba A30 to lcd.

Am I to assume that's a mistake? The A30 would use the HD DVD. If that's really the AVCHD you're talking about you might list your player model.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page