AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 3974 Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to take a moment to thank everyone involved with creating the "AVS HD 709" test disc. I downloaded and burned, the HD version, some time ago and just got a chance to run through most of the offerings on this disc. This is exactly what the doctor ordered. Since I am already familiar with most of the test patterns, the ease of use of this this calibration disc was exceptional. Again, thanks for providing all of us, here at the AVS Forum, this tool.

Buttecreeker

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3974 Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAVS View Post

I downloaded the blu ray and hd dvd versions of this to calibrate my PS3 and my XBOX 360. Both are connected via HDMI to my Samsung 61A750. I was able to get the PS3 calibrated pretty good. When I went to do the XBOX 360 it looked like it does not output the same range as the PS3. When I am viewing the basic settings, I think it is the third pattern (the one that shows the white levels). I think this is the one where you set the contrast levels. On the PS3 I can see all of the blinking bars. On the XBOX 360, I can barely see one or two on the left hand side. I can not get any others to blink no matter how far I change brightness/contrast/dynamic contrast, etc, etc. Is this a limitation of the XBOX 360, am I doing something wrong, or could there be a problem with the HDMI port I have the 360 connected to?

Thanks for all of the help.

Your TV needs to be expecting Video levels. I'm not familiar with your model, so I can't tell you how to set up your TV, but you need to get that correct.

The PS3 should have the following settings:

BD/DVD Output - YCbCr or Auto
RGB Limited/Full - Limited
SuperWhite - On

On the 360, the important setting is the "Reference Level" (I believe that is what it is called). You will find it under the Display settings. This should be set to standard to tell the 360 to output video levels.

If you get all three of these correct, then the patterns from your PS3 and 360 will most likely be very close for the same settings on your TV.

EDIT: As a side note, I can't remember if the 360 will pass Blacker than black and whiter than white, but I believe it does over HDMI. If it doesn't, then you will never see any bars below 16 or above 235 if your TV is calibrated correctly.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #693 of 3974 Old 05-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

Your TV needs to be expecting Video levels. I'm not familiar with your model, so I can't tell you how to set up your TV, but you need to get that correct.

The PS3 should have the following settings:

BD/DVD Output - YCbCr or Auto
RGB Limited/Full - Limited
SuperWhite - On

On the 360, the important setting is the "Reference Level" (I believe that is what it is called). You will find it under the Display settings. This should be set to standard to tell the 360 to output video levels.

If you get all three of these correct, then the patterns from your PS3 and 360 will most likely be very close for the same settings on your TV.

EDIT: As a side note, I can't remember if the 360 will pass Blacker than black and whiter than white, but I believe it does over HDMI. If it doesn't, then you will never see any bars below 16 or above 235 if your TV is calibrated correctly.

Thanks John. I had the PS3 set up correctly. I had the XBOX set to expanded becausse as it is now, it looks better that way (blacker blacks) on my TV. I think if I set that to standard, I need to change my HDMI black level setting on my TV. Ill try it tonight and see how it goes.
post #694 of 3974 Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM

I changed the XBOX 360 output from expanded to standard. I also had to change the TV HDMI black level from LOW to NORMAL. I was then able to see everything and get it calibrated.

Thanks to all who helped.
post #695 of 3974 Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM

I have a question about the contrast setting for the 3rd item under the basic settings. This is the screen that shows the white with flashing bars. Should I handle this like I did with the brightness with the first item under the basic settings? On that item I set my brightness so that only the bars above 16 were flashing.

On this one should I set contrast so that only bars below 235 are flashing? If I do that it looks like I loose white detail. It almost looks better if I set it so that all the bars are flashing except for the last one (value 254)

Thanks in advance for help.

BTW I am using the Blu Ray and the HD DVD versions (PS3 and XBOX360)
post #696 of 3974 Old 05-28-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The third paragraph for the writeup on the white clipping pattern is about as specific as I can be. Beyond that you'll probably get better information in a settings thread for your display. Different displays are going to react differently at high contrast settings, so generally I think it's best to measure the screen with a colorimeter or spectroradiometer in order to really answer that question. It's fine to display all the bars, but there are conditional reasons why some people might want higher contrast settings.
post #697 of 3974 Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Will the 1080i patterns on the disc calibrate the PS3's 1080p/24 output correctly if used?
post #698 of 3974 Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

Will the 1080i patterns on the disc calibrate the PS3's 1080p/24 output correctly if used?

Yes, it should be fine.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #699 of 3974 Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Liked: 17
I just want to report that I succesfully burned an AVCHD DVD for my PS3 using Cheetah DVD on my first try.

Oh, and thanks for this great disc!
post #700 of 3974 Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Is there a way to get the patterns to play on a non BR PC? I would love to be able to calibrate the HDMI connection between my laptop and my TV but as expected, windows won't even see the UDF 2.5 DVD.
post #701 of 3974 Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks!!
post #702 of 3974 Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Gálvez View Post

Is there a way to get the patterns to play on a non BR PC?

Some programs such as Nero will play m2ts. Generally what I've seen with my computer is that different players and decoders do different things, so it's probably not necessarily useful to find a way to play the files as is. For the next release we might offer a more common format such as ts or mpg that could be more easily manipulated to match possible sources such as ATSC recordings. Generally though my perspective is that the usefulness is somewhat limited beyond what w6rz.net offers.
post #703 of 3974 Old 06-07-2008, 10:27 PM

I found about w6rz a while ago and apparently the nvidia pure video decoder plays those. However, your patterns for black and white level are just awesome and nothing like that is available in any disc I have (or in w6rz)... Oh well, I'll just be patient and wait, I rarely use my laptop for movies anyway.

Thanks for your reply.
post #704 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #705 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 AM

I downloaded the file and burned it to disc using image burn, no problem. However, when I try to play the disc in my Lite-on 401S blu-ray drive, I get an error message that my graphics driver is not supported. I'm using the Intel integrated graphics on my Intel DG33TL MB. Any thoughts? Here is the rest of my setup:

Motherboard: Intel DG33TL
Graphics: Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator driver 15.8.2.1461
Blu-ray Drive: Lite-on 401S firmware CP54
Software Player: PowerDVD 7 Ultra 3730d
AnyDVDHD 6.4.3.2
post #706 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll guess that most likely the error is related to the playback software. I haven't used PowerDVD Ultra, but http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=21814 says that Cyberlink supports AVCHD.

1 - Can you play commercial Blu-rays? (I'm assuming yes)
2 - Are you trying to play the AVCHD version or the BDMV version? (You didn't mention burning to Blu-ray and the drive seems to be ROM, so I'll guess AVCHD makes the most sense)

My general troubleshooting ideas would be to:
a) Try the other version (AVCHD/BDMV) if you haven't already tried that. If you were previously trying the AVCHD you could still try burning the BDMV version to DVD and see if PowerDVD will play it.
b) Play the individual m2ts video files if PowerDVD allows that.
post #707 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The black and white clipping patterns are based on what 3no posted. His patterns are SD, but here's some links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...70#post5525270
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...04#post5560604
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...03#post5433803

Awesome! Thanks AR
post #708 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I'll guess that most likely the error is related to the playback software. I haven't used PowerDVD Ultra, but http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=21814 says that Cyberlink supports AVCHD.

1 - Can you play commercial Blu-rays? (I'm assuming yes)
2 - Are you trying to play the AVCHD version or the BDMV version? (You didn't mention burning to Blu-ray and the drive seems to be ROM, so I'll guess AVCHD makes the most sense)

My general troubleshooting ideas would be to:
a) Try the other version (AVCHD/BDMV) if you haven't already tried that. If you were previously trying the AVCHD you could still try burning the BDMV version to DVD and see if PowerDVD will play it.
b) Play the individual m2ts video files if PowerDVD allows that.

Yes, I can play commerical blu-rays without any problems. I used the AVCHD version. I know that the latest version of PowerDVD doesn't let you play ts files from a hard drive directory anymore, but I wouldn't think that would affect playback from the blu-ray disc. Thanks for your suggestions, I will give them a try.
post #709 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the great collection of discs...awesome

Quick question tho...

ive burnt the hd dvd disc for use in my xbox 360 but when the disc loads up to the menu it crashes my xbox and i have to reboot it for anything to work again?

im using taio yuden (spelling?) 16x dvds to burn to and burning at 8x cant remember if i used nero or imgburn,would this error be due to burning problems?

thanks in advance
post #710 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegardner View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the great collection of discs...awesome

Quick question tho...

ive burnt the hd dvd disc for use in my xbox 360 but when the disc loads up to the menu it crashes my xbox and i have to reboot it for anything to work again?

im using taio yuden (spelling?) 16x dvds to burn to and burning at 8x cant remember if i used nero or imgburn,would this error be due to burning problems?

thanks in advance

I doubt it. Can you play commercial HD DVD's without crashing it?

Tom who?
post #711 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

I doubt it. Can you play commercial HD DVD's without crashing it?

Hi,

ive only just recieved the drive today and have no HD-DVDs to test,im going to order a few off play.com tomorrow and let u know if they work,i have tried regular dvds in the drive and they are working fine.

regards
post #712 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegardner View Post

Hi,

ive only just recieved the drive today and have no HD-DVDs to test,im going to order a few off play.com tomorrow and let u know if they work,i have tried regular dvds in the drive and they are working fine.

regards

You can try burning another disc... if you know your burner isn't bad, then it is very unlikely that you would burn two bad Taiyo Yudens and even more unlikely that it would cause your 360 to crash.

Tom who?
post #713 of 3974 Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM

Authors,

I just want to add my thanks to the many you already have. What a great product and great public service you have provided.

Thank you!

Bob.
post #714 of 3974 Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jo Jo Jr. View Post

Yes, I can play commerical blu-rays without any problems. I used the AVCHD version. I know that the latest version of PowerDVD doesn't let you play ts files from a hard drive directory anymore, but I wouldn't think that would affect playback from the blu-ray disc. Thanks for your suggestions, I will give them a try.

Turns out it was the PowerDVD player that was at fault. The newest update (4102) had a problem with my graphics driver. I re-installed the 3730d build and the AVCHD disc works great.
post #715 of 3974 Old 06-13-2008, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thank you so much for this great tool.

I've used Avia before...what are the equivilant test patterns in your software to be able to set brightness and contrast? In Avia (original), there were two patterns with moving bars to be able to set this. How should I use your software to set brightness and contrast?

Thanks again.

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #716 of 3974 Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post

Thank you so much for this great tool.

I've used Avia before...what are the equivilant test patterns in your software to be able to set brightness and contrast? In Avia (original), there were two patterns with moving bars to be able to set this. How should I use your software to set brightness and contrast?

Thanks again.

Just read the first thread by alluringreality. It has a lot of good info there.

Tom who?
post #717 of 3974 Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:

You can try burning another disc... if you know your burner isn't bad, then it is very unlikely that you would burn two bad Taiyo Yudens and even more unlikely that it would cause your 360 to crash.

Hi,

Ive fixed the problem by updating the hd dvd drive to the latest software off xbox live,discs are working fine now

thanks again for the help and great discs
regards
post #718 of 3974 Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Love the disc, has been very helpful.
A couple of minor annoyances.

1) The main menu being 24p and everything else (I think) being 60i/p causes resolution switching in my VP and projector. Can be annoying during calibration sessions. Changing the menu to 60hz would be helpful. Since only the menu appears to be authored as 24p, not sure why this is necessary.

2) Staying paused at each test pattern would also be helpful. Not sure if this is the way the disc is authored or my BD player (Panny BD30), but the disc automatically advances to the next pattern in a certain period of time. I would rather it stay on the same pattern until you manually move to the next pattern. Using pause does not work, still advances automatically after a certain amount of time.
post #719 of 3974 Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM
eht

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this excellent tool together. Very cool.

One suggestion for a few additional patterns, if it hasn't been mentioned already, is a set of RGB steps. It would be nice to be able to check which channels are clipping when setting contrast.

Thanks again!
post #720 of 3974 Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Love the disc, has been very helpful.
A couple of minor annoyances.

For #1 it's related to Ulead's software. There are only a limited few programs that produce Blu-ray related disks with menus. Ulead doesn't seem to allow for importing 24p video, but their menus are 24p.

Again for #2 this is basically related to the limited inexpensive authoring options available. Currently each video clip is 2 minutes. My players will pause, so I have to guess the pause item is related to the Panasonic.

There are a number of structure/authoring issues that simply required a decision to be made in the process of putting the disks together. The project was originally based on HD DVD, so that also was involved in some of the decisions. Really though, aside from maybe Dostudio or tsMuxer, there doesn't seem to be much new relatively inexpensive authoring options available today to make this any more compatible than was available during the process.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page