AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ah! Sorry, somehow I thought you had said you'd need a MPEG2 or VC1 codec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm very new to this, but couldn't HappyFunBoater simply download the exe, extract the iso, burn it to DVD and run that on the HTPC? I've got an HP laptop that I use for BD and that's what I did. But, I'm likely over-simplifying all this Codec, MPEG, colorspace, gamma curve holy-crap-ness.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #813 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Gálvez View Post

Ah! Sorry, somehow I thought you had said you'd need a MPEG2 or VC1 codec.

We already have MPEG2 and AVC versions of the patterns... but not VC1. We could make either MPEG2 or AVC available in file format, which should work for most people.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #814 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

I'm very new to this, but couldn't HappyFunBoater simply download the exe, extract the iso, burn it to DVD and run that on the HTPC? I've got an HP laptop that I use for BD and that's what I did. But, I'm likely over-simplifying all this Codec, MPEG, colorspace, gamma curve holy-crap-ness.

Your HP already has software that will read and decode BD... the problem is that his HTPC does not and he is too cheap to buy it

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #815 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM

I did that to play it on my PS3, my PC however doesn't even see the files in the disc.
post #816 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

The easiest thing to do would probably be to make the MPEG2 files from the HD-DVD version available in file format. Would this work?

I think that would be fine. And once it's in the MPEG2 format it's easy for us to use tools like Windows Media Encoder to make an WMV-HD file.
post #817 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One complication with computers is that different decoders can function differently, so for example an mpeg2 decoder might not necessarily work the same as a VC1 decoder. This also means that different programs won't necessarily work the same either (use the same RGB levels). If you're using popular commercial software they should have accounted for this and everything should match within that program, but for programs that use multiple third-party decoders it's basically like running different programs and things might not match. Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Gálvez View Post

I did that to play it on my PS3, my PC however doesn't even see the files in the disc.

Vista can read UDF 2.5, and by default XP cannot. There are ways to allow XP to read UDF 2.5, but I've never had a reason to try the items Google returns. If you can read the AVCHD/BDMV, then you have access to the AVC video in an m2ts container.
post #818 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your HP already has software that will read and decode BD... the problem is that his HTPC does not and he is too cheap to buy it

Sad, but true. It's $90! That will buy a lot of rum!
post #819 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Yeah, funny but I couldn't bring myself to install the UDF 2.5 tools either as much as I wanted to try the videos.

Are m2ts and ts equivalent? I know I can play 1080p ts thanks to the nvidia purevideo decoder, I've used the ones from w6rz.
post #820 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if I'm beating this to death, but I just found an incredibly simple way to convert the AVS REC709 HD-DVD to MPEG2. I'm sure this is obvious to you folks, but I figured I would post what I learned. I'm curious if there's a flaw in what I did.

First, similar to how VOBs work on DVDs, I simply used COPY /B to append the four EVO (Enhanced VOBs) files on the HD-DVD to make one large EVO.

Second, I used EVOdemux, a free app, to split the EVO file into an MPV file (video) and an MPA file (audio). During the demux I realized that the video encoding in the MPV file was simply MPEG2.

Third, just like with a DVD, I simply renamed the MPV file to MPEG2.

Voila! I seem to be able to load the file in my normal MPEG viewers and everything is fine. Is this all it takes?
post #821 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's one long timecode, but I don't see any issue with the general process of joining and demuxing. Blu-ray stores things more in individual sections and less like DVD, and tsMuxer has a demux option similar to the listed program for HD DVD. While most of the patterns we've used by permission are marked, I'll just repeat the item on the first post not to redistribute alterations such as what's discussed here without the credits that are currently included on the title menu.
post #822 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

That's one long timecode, but I don't see any issue with the general process of joining and demuxing. Blu-ray stores things more in individual sections and less like DVD, and tsMuxer has a demux option similar to the listed program for HD DVD. While most of the patterns we've used by permission are marked, I'll just repeat the item on the first post not to redistribute alterations such as what's discussed here without the credits that are currently included on the title menu.

No worries; I won't distribute this, with or without the credits. Also, I forgot to include the EVO with the title screen, so I'll go ahead and add that back in, just in case.
post #823 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Just be patient. We are actively working on a new version that should be released fairly soon. We can look into WMV-HD, but as you have already found, it isn't always trivial. The HD-DVD and AVCHD versions we make now require several different steps to produce and verify.

I haven't really messed with WMV. Is it an entirely different codec, or is it just a container? If it is a container, can WMV hold h.264/AVC video? If a codec outside of MPEG2 or AVC is required, then it will substantially increase the difficulty.

Since I haven't been able to burn your data to a disc (yet) I have no idea on what patterns you already have but I'm wondering about one specifically . For those of us with CIH setups it would be really nice to have a 2.35:1 window inside of the standard 16:9 with circles in each of the four corners .Thus when the vertical stretch is applied and the lens rolled into place we could check and see if the circles are still circles or ovals . Does this make sense ? I imagine some people might like vertical lines inside the circles to check for pin-cushioning at the extreme stretch as well . Just a suggestion .

Thanks and looking forward to the new release .

Scott............

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #824 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post
For those of us with CIH setups it would be really nice to have a 2.35:1 window inside of the standard 16:9 with circles in each of the four corners .Thus when the vertical stretch is applied and the lens rolled into place we could check and see if the circles are still circles or ovals . Does this make sense ? I imagine some people might like vertical lines inside the circles to check for pin-cushioning at the extreme stretch as well . Just a suggestion
There had been a couple prior requests for a 2.35:1 pattern. I made my best guess at what was being suggested and just took 1920/2.35 and rounded up to 1920x818. Anyway, attached is what's in the current working video. If you want you can draw something on the image to illustrate what you're talking about. It doesn't have to be pretty, but not being familiar with the setup I have no idea what sort of distortions are common and what exactly would be useful to include in the image.

Cinema.zip 112.1474609375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cinema.zip (112.1 KB, 0 views)
post #825 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There had been a couple prior requests for a 2.35:1 pattern. I made my best guess at what was being suggested and just took 1920/2.35 and rounded up to 1920x818. Anyway, attached is what's in the current working video. If you want you can draw something on the image to illustrate what you're talking about. It doesn't have to be pretty, but not being familiar with the setup I have no idea what sort of distortions are common and what exactly would be useful to include in the image.

Well , if I had skills or talent , which I don't , I'd whip up some circles and plug them into the four corners of the 2.35:1 window you made . However since I don't , I'm not going to be of much use . Maybe someone else can grab this ball and run with it ?

Scott...............

post #826 of 4030 Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

I think that would be fine. And once it's in the MPEG2 format it's easy for us to use tools like Windows Media Encoder to make an WMV-HD file.

I would be careful transcoding or re-encoding. It can be done, but you have to make sure that the encoder isn't messing something up.

Tom who?
post #827 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be careful transcoding or re-encoding. It can be done, but you have to make sure that the encoder isn't messing something up.

OK, I'll just stick with the MPEG2. Given how I extracted it I assume that it is as "pure" as the original HD-DVD disk? I planned to use that MPEG2 to start calibrating my HTPC.
post #828 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

OK, I'll just stick with the MPEG2. Given how I extracted it I assume that it is as "pure" as the original HD-DVD disk? I planned to use that MPEG2 to start calibrating my HTPC.

Well, I can't make any promises but it seems like what you did should be fine. As long as you are just switching containers and so forth, it doesn't normally mess anything up.

Tom who?
post #829 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
circles and plug them into the four corners of the 2.35:1 window you made
Here's a revised image.

Cinema2.zip 130.814453125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cinema2.zip (130.8 KB, 1 views)
post #830 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Seems like a stupid question, but what type of file should be on the disc after burning? My new Pioneer BDP-51 won't load the disc, the front panel display shows data disc and won't play it. Exploring the disc through windows shows AVCHD RC1 as an .iso file. Is this correct?

Thanks,
schlick
post #831 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a revised image.

Yes , now that's the idea ! Maybe....circles just twice that size , too small and distortion may not be measurable , too large and the same effect , otherwise "spot" on

Scott.............

post #832 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

Seems like a stupid question, but what type of file should be on the disc after burning? My new Pioneer BDP-51 won't load the disc, the front panel display shows data disc and won't play it. Exploring the disc through windows shows AVCHD RC1 as an .iso file. Is this correct?

Thanks,
schlick

It sounds like you burned the .iso file to a disc.

The .iso file is a "disc image." you need software that will burn the .iso as an image, and not just as a file to a disc. The .iso is like a container for the disc contents. It nicely and neatly wraps up the disc files and contains extra information that tells burning software how to burn those files to a disc.

What software are you using?

Tom who?
post #833 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes , now that's the idea ! Maybe....circles just twice that size , too small and distortion may not be measurable , too large and the same effect , otherwise "spot" on

Scott.............

Now I'm going to have to re-encode that section. I'm officially mad at you.

Tom who?
post #834 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you burned the .iso file to a disc.

The .iso file is a "disc image." you need software that will burn the .iso as an image, and not just as a file to a disc. The .iso is like a container for the disc contents. It nicely and neatly wraps up the disc files and contains extra information that tells burning software how to burn those files to a disc.

What software are you using?

I had someone at work burn it for me, don't really know what they used. What do you recommend, for burning the disc?

Thanks again,
schlick
post #835 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had someone at work burn it for me, don't really know what they used. What do you recommend, for burning the disc?

Thanks again,
schlick

www.imgburn.com

Tom who?
post #836 of 4030 Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I'm going to have to re-encode that section. I'm officially mad at you.

...and here I was thinking I should ask for you to put some vertical lines inside the circles so people with Circular Anamorphic Lenses could check for barrel distortion more easily ! Boy I'm glad I kept that one to myself otherwise...

Scott.................

post #837 of 4030 Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

www.imgburn.com

Worked flawlessly. thank you again for your help.

schlick
post #838 of 4030 Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Worked flawlessly. thank you again for your help.

schlick

schlick, You may want to start to look into the 05/51 tread. I havent seen you there. And just to add to ImgBurn see my post from a few days ago about this.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14547318
post #839 of 4030 Old 08-30-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and here I was thinking I should ask for you to put some vertical lines inside the circles so people with Circular Anamorphic Lenses could check for barrel distortion more easily ! Boy I'm glad I kept that one to myself otherwise...

Scott.................

I'm cool with that one. That just means more work for alluringreality.

Tom who?
post #840 of 4030 Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm cool with that one. That just means more work for alluringreality.

Yeah , me too Just think , you guys will have the only disk based software that has this pattern ! Miles ahead of everyone else , professional or otherwise , and they've been at it longer . Go figure

No to get Imageburn and practice on your current disc .

Scott................

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page