post #931 of 3994 Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Gálvez View Post

The PS3 passes resolution tests with flying colors, my nvidia 7900 + pure video decoder doesn't

The last time I used my Nvidia card I think the drivers were set to scale by default. It was possible to turn off scaling, but I don't remember what they call the desktop resize item that scales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 3994 Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The last time I used my Nvidia card I think the drivers were set to scale by default. It was possible to turn off scaling, but I don't remember what they call the desktop resize item that scales.

Not letting the driver scale anything, just setting WMP to fullscreen, the results are the same even if I set the size to 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Edo Gálvez -- From what I've read, the Panasonic BD55 comes the closest (for about the same price as a PS3). But BD players are not the subject of this thread.

Heh, I kinda am a hardcore gamer so I'm fine with the PS3
Sorry about the offtopic, my point was to discuss the perceived results from using a pattern in the disc.
post #933 of 3994 Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:

What I said was that as far as I remember you have to change the Nvidia options if you want to display an unscaled desktop. I haven't used my 8600 Nvidia card in over a year, but I'm almost sure the default options introduce scaling where a resolution pattern might never look correct. If the drivers are not scaling then computer generated 1:1 patterns like the exe at http://tft.vanity.dk/ should look like expected. WMP doesn't have any fancy options such as resolution switching, so if the computer is running a 1080p desktop and isn't scaling then full-screen video should look similar to another device such as the PS3.

Oh, I see what you meant. Actually I am running at native resolution for each screen (laptop and TV).

Just to put what I'm seeing into numbers, using avia's TVL measurements, the PS3 gives me around 550 both horizontal and vertical. Purevideo barely makes it past 350. The last burst patter the computer displays ok is the 4.5Mhz one, anything after that is a gray mess, the PS3 shows the 6.x one perfectly.

Guess the PS3 is doing really smart upscaling here and purevideo simply resizes it.
post #934 of 3994 Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All this disk includes are alternating lines in a 1920x1080 pattern. As far as upscaling DVD on a computer I think there are different ways that can be handled, but it's more the sort of topic for the HTPC area.
post #935 of 3994 Old 10-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Liked: 10
I just wanted to thank you guys for all the great work you put into this. I just used it on my Panny, I love it. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
post #936 of 3994 Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM

The download links don't work?
post #937 of 3994 Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

The download links don't work?

That looks like a question. Links are working from here. What link are you trying, and what happens?

-Bill
post #938 of 3994 Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM

The download links are unavailable. When you click on a download link they just send you an error message.
post #939 of 3994 Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They're not there yet. As stated in the post, a new version is in the works. Those links are just placeholders for now. You can still download the previous version from the older links.
post #940 of 3994 Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

They're not there yet. As stated in the post, a new version is in the works. Those links are just placeholders for now. You can still download the previous version from the older links.

Thanks for the clarification.
post #941 of 3994 Old 11-01-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The largest basic difference with the v1.0 release is that we have switched authoring and encoding software for the AVCHD and BDMV versions. This allowed us to use 24p patterns to better match most typical Blu-ray movies, and the change in software allowed the disc to expand by using different menus. There have been over 100 new patterns added to the AVCHD and BDMV versions, most notably we have tried to address all requests that would fit and to better incorporate the option to use fields than before. The new MP4 video file version simply contains the video from the AVCHD/BDMV release.

We have used some mp4 video in the HD DVD disc, which allowed us to include a few complex patterns that had previously been dropped due to issues with mpeg2 encoding. We have tried to include as many of the changes as possible in the HD DVD and to keep the discs similar, but because of the change in Blu-ray authoring the HD DVD doesn't contain all the new patterns found in the other versions. Unless issues would happen to be found, v1.0 will likely be the final HD DVD release.

Some changes since RC1 include:
- Arcsoft TotalMedia Studio used on AVCHD and BDMV for 24p video, rather than Media Factory.
- Information about patterns moved to PDF files instead of using main post.
- Below-black labels were added to the near black section, so that they could be read by increasing brightness.
- APL clipping pattern was changed to more closely resemble the black and white clipping patterns.
- Black was added to the start of Adjust Gray section for 4 grayscale levels in HCFR.
- Red single pixel outline is included on encode for overscan pattern as suggested.
- A new modified black clipping pattern for red, green, and blue near black.
- An RGB pattern similar to the white clipping pattern as requested.
- Where Y' levels are labeled (ex. 16 for black) the prior text "color" was changed to read "level".
- New constant APL patterns for measuring displays that vary light with APL (ex. SXRD auto iris)(not on HD DVD).
- Above white was added to all the grayscale series, except for the new APL patterns.
- Resolution patterns were returned to the disc (had previously been removed after beta1).
- Constant height 2.35:1 pattern as requested.
- The HD DVD chapter points were missing, so they were pushed 5 seconds farther past the pattern change. This still leaves over 110 seconds per pattern.

Similar to RC1 release:
- AVCHD .iso file from current ImgBurn.
- HD DVD .iso from Ulead MF6+.
- 7-Zip 4.57 for Windows used for compression.
post #942 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made some minor revisions to the HD DVD disc & PDF, and I updated the md5. The HD DVD changes were mainly just text changes and none of the actual video sections were revised. Functionally the disk is similar to the previous version uploaded yesterday, so I did not consider it necessary to document the revision beyond this post.
post #943 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

download links are not working
post #944 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Tried the new revision on my pioneer BDP-05fd.
Navigation issues that exist are when you select for example grey scale patterns and it brings up the first pattern if I press the next button on the remote it goes to the next chapter not the next pattern. If I press the back button it jumps to the last pattern in the current chapter and will allow me to jump back to each previous pattern as well as skip forward to the next pattern.
It just seems that the inital next command from the first pattern goes to the next chapter not the next pattern.

The previous test patterns disk version worked perfect with my player.

BTW: Thank you for the updated revision nice work.
post #945 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

download links are not working

Sometimes Sendspace is a little spotty, but I was having bigger issues with the other site we used to use. I tried reading through their FAQ, and all I can say is that you might try again after a few minutes if you get no reply because as far as I can tell the links seem to work. Maybe Bear5k will choose to host these files again, but I figured I would upload like we had done previously.
post #946 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiscus View Post

Tried the new revision on my pioneer BDP-05fd.
Navigation issues that exist are when you select for example grey scale patterns and it brings up the first pattern if I press the next button on the remote it goes to the next chapter not the next pattern. If I press the back button it jumps to the last pattern in the current chapter and will allow me to jump back to each previous pattern as well as skip forward to the next pattern. It just seems that the inital next command from the first pattern goes to the next chapter not the next pattern.

I'm confused and am not sure what you are saying. Generally I use the words patterns and chapters to mean the same thing, so that's probably part of why I don't get what you are saying. I also use sections and titles interchangeably. Anyway I will use the terms titles, chapters, and menus in what follows, because that's generally how many players read when you look at where you are at on the disc. I'll just describe how my Sony works with the disc in going to the "10% Fields" title on page 3 in the PDF.

1) Disk opens to main menu
2) Select "Measure Grayscale" for Grayscale Menu
3) Select "10% Fields" on Grayscale Menu
4) Player goes to Title 4, chapter 1
5) Next on remote goes to Title 4, chapter 2
6) Hitting back on the remote returns to Title 4, chapter 1
7) Hitting back on the remote again goes to Title 3, chapter 1

Generally the titles are intended to be selected from the menus, so if you are talking about how the player skips between titles then it very well could be different than before because we switched authoring programs. I know that even when we were just using Ulead for everything that my my players didn't work the same with the different versions for going between titles without going to the menu. I don't remember the specifics for how they switched differently between titles when chapter skipping or fast forwarding, but they all worked the same if a selection was chosen from the menu the player would go to the related title and first chapter.
post #947 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Here is what I experience:
5) Next on remote goes to Title 5, chapter 1
6) Hitting back on the remote before hitting next goes to Title 4, chapter 13 (or whatever the last pattern # is)
7) Hitting back on the remote again goes to Title 4, chapter 12
8) Hitting next at this point will go to Title 4 chapter 13 (what I expect)

It just seems to be the inital next command once a menu is selected.

Quote:

I'm confused and am not sure what you are saying. Generally I use the words patterns and chapters to mean the same thing, so that's probably part of why I don't get what you are saying. I also use sections and titles interchangeably. Anyway I will use the terms titles, chapters, and menus in what follows, because that's generally how many players read when you look at where you are at on the disc. I'll just describe how my Sony works with the disc in going to the "10% Fields" title on page 3 in the PDF.

5) Next on remote goes to Title 4, chapter 2
6) Hitting back on the remote returns to Title 4, chapter 1
7) Hitting back on the remote again goes to Title 3, chapter 1

Generally the titles are intended to be selected from the menus, so if you are talking about how the player skips between titles then it very well could be different than before because we switched authoring programs. I know that even when we were just using Ulead for everything that my my players didn't work the same with the different versions for going between titles without going to the menu. I don't remember the specifics for how they switched differently between titles when chapter skipping or fast forwarding, but they all worked the same if a selection was chosen from the menu the player would go to the related title and first chapter.

post #948 of 3994 Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiscus View Post

It just seems to be the inital next command once a menu is selected.

So for step 5 if you're say 10 seconds into the Title, it skips to the next title? If so, that's odd. The reason I ask if the video is playing when you hit next, is that there's a way I can get my player to skip ahead titles if the first chaper is not playing. If the first chapter is playing, then it works like step 5 on in the list.

Anyway, if that's how your player works then the only user-related thing I can think of would be to ask if you're running current firmware. My player wouldn't do anything with The Happening menu until I updated. If it isn't that and the video is playing then it probably falls to the TotalMedia software.
post #949 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I really appreciate the MP4 release! This is now the ultimate tool for calibrating HTPC video playback!

One question though: AVInaptic reports the resolution of the MP4 release as 1920x1088. Are the extra 8 pixels normal? Wouldn't that effect overscan adjustments/calibration?
post #950 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 PM

What do you guys use to play mp4 files? I am very anti-clutterware and like to keep my systems running with only the essentials.
post #951 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you guys use to play mp4 files? I am very anti-clutterware and like to keep my systems running with only the essentials.

Haali Media Splitter and MPC Video Decoder. Use any DirectShow play you want.

I'm also anti-clutterware and keep my system very clean. Only have MediaPortal as my HTPC front-end and the key necessary DirectShow filters.
post #952 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlc

I don't use an HTPC, so this is just for testing.

-Bill
post #953 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

One question though: AVInaptic reports the resolution of the MP4 release as 1920x1088. Are the extra 8 pixels normal? Wouldn't that effect overscan adjustments/calibration?

I think media info reports 1920x1080, so I'm not really sure what the difference is and would let someone else comment on that. I think that the divide evenly by 16 might be how things are actually stored, but detailed knowledge of video encoding isn't exactly my contribution here.

What I did was that I used MP4Muxer to go from 264 to MP4. I had tried YAMB for muxing, but for some reason the clips would begin with a green screen. I had also tried the muxer in MeGUI and couldn't get it to work.

For verification did the usual simple levels verification in windows, and then I demuxed to the elementary stream using YAMB. From there I took it through the process that dr1394 posted in page 3 of this thread. The levels from the demuxed mp4 matched the same as the 264 version.

The 264 files are used in the AVCHD/BDMV authoring. There are issues with using MP4 in the authoring process, so it's easiest to encode to 264. I suppose I could have let my computer run another whole day to use the mp4 output from MeGUI, but I didn't see any need.
post #954 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use Zoomplayer, but it's mostly for the amount of customization and ability to easily crop.
post #955 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give those players a try
post #956 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks a lot bro!!!!
post #957 of 3994 Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks a million!!
post #958 of 3994 Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think media info reports 1920x1080, so I'm not really sure what the difference is and would let someone else comment on that. I think that the divide evenly by 16 might be how things are actually stored, but detailed knowledge of video encoding isn't exactly my contribution here.

What I did was that I used MP4Muxer to go from 264 to MP4. I had tried YAMB for muxing, but for some reason the clips would begin with a green screen. I had also tried the muxer in MeGUI and couldn't get it to work.

For verification did the usual simple levels verification in windows, and then I demuxed to the elementary stream using YAMB. From there I took it through the process that dr1394 posted in page 3 of this thread. The levels from the demuxed mp4 matched the same as the 264 version.

The 264 files are used in the AVCHD/BDMV authoring. There are issues with using MP4 in the authoring process, so it's easiest to encode to 264. I suppose I could have let my computer run another whole day to use the mp4 output from MeGUI, but I didn't see any need.

ffdshow and AVInaptic both report 1920x1088, but nothing to worry about, I'm sure this is normal.
post #959 of 3994 Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM

Quick question. I used this to calibrate my PS3/LCD tv. I was telling my friend about it but he only has a DVD player connected to his LCD tv. Will this correctly calibrate (simple calibration/no tools or colorimeter) his tv with his DVD player?
post #960 of 3994 Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstark18 View Post

Quick question. I used this to calibrate my PS3/LCD tv. I was telling my friend about it but he only has a DVD player connected to his LCD tv. Will this correctly calibrate (simple calibration/no tools or colorimeter) his tv with his DVD player?

No. He needs a DVD calibration disc like Avia or DVE. GetGray is downloadable, and THX Optimizer is free on many commerical discs.

-Bill
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page