AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasgg View Post

RGB bars on the side for me to do by visual, not looking to the numbers

The red, green, and blue bars shown in the images from part 6 of your link are from the HCFR software. Those are not test patterns. They're simply a restatement of the measured grayscale.

The only test pattern bars shown in part 6 are from the DVE window patterns, which also include pluge. The pluge is discussed in part 5 of the link, it's just used for setting brightness. This disk includes other patterns for setting brightness and looking at how APL may affect gamma or low-grayscale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 4000 Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've just tested a WDTV and it acts exactly like the Popcorn Hour regarding color decoding (defaults to BT.601 for HD content). This may point to a larger problem with the Sigma Designs SDK. So buyer beware, you may be getting the wrong colors if you get a player with a Sigma Designs chip inside.
post #1563 of 4000 Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
First, Id like to say thank you guys for your hard work. WHY ISNT THIS A STICKY?

I searched this thread and I know this has been asked before but I am not going to ask "how to" or "will it work". I know it does, I got it to work. I dont have a blu-ray player to calibrate my HD input. I cant afford one right now. My Mit CRT RPTV has no HDMI nor does my Denon 3805. Since I want DD-HD and DTS-HD I would need a blu-ray player with analog inputs for this, which cost more.

Anyway, I used the Windows Movie Maker (WMM) to convert the MP4 files to the xbox 360 HD format. Oh, before I forget, I am using Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

What I did was unzip the MP4 files. I dragged the Main Menu files to the WMM then converted the files, that easy.

Turn on my xbox then looked for the file where I save it. Push play, and there it is, on my big screen. I was able to skip each section or skip the chapter. Loved it. Now I can calibrate the HD input on my TV.

Why would I want to calibrate my xbox since all the games dont follow any standard? Well, you can stream movies using netflix on Xbox or purchase movies through the market place in HD. Although you are limited in HD movies from Netflix

Hope someone can asnwer my question, Does WMM convert the file to the correct format?

Here are the options to choose from when converting:

You can choose to publish your movie as an Audio-Video Interleaved (AVI) file or a Windows Media Video (WMV) file. You can also choose different settings for each file type, depending on what format you plan to use to watch your movie. The quality for each setting generally falls into one of three categories: high-quality, good-quality, and medium-quality. The following table describes the different settings.

File type
Resolution
Bit rate
Recommended use

DV-AVI (NTSC)
720 x 480
25 Mbps
This setting produces the highest quality output in most situations. It is a good choice if you plan to play your movie using an application that does not support Windows Media Video (WMV) files. Because the quality is so high, files saved using this setting are larger than files saved at most other settings.

Windows Media Portable Device
640 x 480
1 Mbps
Choose this setting if you plan to play your movie using a portable device that uses Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player will automatically convert your movie to a format that will work on your portable media device.

Windows Media DVD Quality
640 x 480
3 Mbps
This setting produces good-quality standard definition movies. You might choose to use this setting if your original content is from a digital video (DV) camera and if you want your saved file to be small.

Windows Media DVD Widescreen Quality
720 x 480
3 Mbps
This setting produces good-quality widescreen (16:9) standard definition output. This is a good choice if your source content is from a digital video (DV) camera if you want the file size of your movie to be small.

Windows Media HD 720p
1280 x 720
5.9 Mbps
This setting produces high-quality high definition (HD) movies in Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9) that can be played on computers and DVD players that support WMV HD. Consider choosing this setting if your source content is 720p or if your final output display is 720p. This movie setting is only available if your computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.

Windows Media HD for Xbox 360
1280 x 720
6.8 Mbps
This setting produces high-quality HD movies at 720p, and is a good choice if you intend to view your movie using an Xbox 360. This movie setting is only available if your computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.

Windows Media HD 1080
1440 x 1080
7.8 Mbps
This setting produces high-quality 1080p HD movies. It's an ideal setting if you plan to show your movie on a computer or DVD player that supports WMV HD. This is also a good choice if your source material is 1080p. When you use this setting, your movie is de-interlaced during encoding, as WMV9 does not support interlaced content. This movie setting is only available if your computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.

Windows Media Low Bandwidth
320 x 240
117 Kbps
This setting produces good-quality standard definition output. This is a good choice if you want the file size to be as small as possible.

Windows Media VHS Quality
640 x 480
1 Mbps
This setting produces medium-quality standard definition output. This choice is ideal if your original content is from an analog device, such as a VHS tape, and you want the file size to be small.

Again, thanks for your hard work.

XBL: Oscar DLC
post #1564 of 4000 Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak View Post

Does WMM convert the file to the correct format?

I've never used the program, so I can't really comment. According to a reply a few pages back if you burn the MP4 files to a disk the 360 can read them after an update, without having to do any conversion.
post #1565 of 4000 Old 05-16-2009, 12:07 PM

hmm, your absolutely right. Tried that last night and it worked.

I must of missunderstood it the last time I read it. Thought you needed the add on.

Thanks.

Again, Great work, way better then the DVE and AVIA I have.

post #1566 of 4000 Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ud View Post

This may sound like a silly question...

but instead of using a color meter to measure the light coming from your HDTV, does anyone think it would be possible to use a digital camera in RAW mode or a webcam to take snap-shots of the test patterns displayed on an HDTV, convert the raw data into the format used by the HCFR color meter software, save it to a .chc file and then open the file in the HCFR color meter software?

I realize that a digital camera is made up of light sensitive cells (pixels) and that each one would probably receive a different amount of light, but if you only considered data coming from the center pixel? or the average color values of a group of pixels near the center?

I just thought that a digital camera works in much the same manner as a color meter, but a camera has lots of tiny light sensors (pixels) rather than just one like an actual color meter.

Anyway im probably missing something here so your comments would be much appreciated.

This questions gets asked every once in a while. It's an enterprising idea, but does not work in practice because you need to have the correct filtering in the camera for it to work properly as a colorimeter, which is never the case. So you can only use the camera as an optical comparator between IDENTICAL displays. This means that you can only use it to compare colors from displays that have the exact same SPD, and you cannot use it to target an exact color *unless* you measure a specific color using a reference meter, then measure it with the camera to see how it responds. This of course begs the question: if you have a meter in order to do this, why bother using the camera at all? Thus why nobody uses cameras, because you need to have the proper tools in order to use the camera as you would want to, and given the various extra steps and the fact that it still will only work on one particular display, it becomes a huge waste of time.
post #1567 of 4000 Old 05-16-2009, 06:35 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

Actually, I was referring to the modified ANSI patterns on the AVSHD disc, it's in the HCFR section. The pattern has the black and white patterns so that they line up with the center of the image. This is slightly different than the standard ANSI pattern which does not (the squares don't line up with having one square in the center). I think you've answered my question in that you don't normally measure each black square then every white square. Thanks, Claus.

It depends by what you mean by normally. ANSI contrast ratio is a particular specification defined by ANSI, and it is an average of all the white squares divided by the average of all the black squares. This takes into account variations across the screen. This has both benefits and weaknesses. If you are, in fact, doing an actual ANSI measurement, this is how it must be done or it is not an ANSI contrast ratio.

Many people, like Greg Rogers and others, will do a variation of this type of measurement, using a checkeboard of the same style or similar, and measuring differently. Most people will often not do the full ANSI CR measurement which involves measuring all the squares and averaging, because it involves the difficulties of moving the meter around and also includes room effects more significantly which is less than useful in attempting to isolate the display.

So many people use "ANSI CR" as a shorthand to indicate some type of simultaneous CR measurement usually using a checkerboard similar to that used by ANSI, but which is not actually ANSI CR at all.

So ANSI CR, if is actually is ANSI CR, is ALWAYS measured (and must be by definition) using all the squares and averaging. But "normally" people are not taking an ANSI CR, they are taking some variation of a CR measurement off a checkerboard, sometimes motivated by laziness, and sometimes motivated by isolating the display more (as in Greg Rogers Modified-ANSI measure) rather than the room at the edges and the differences among squares in the center which are surrounded by white and those at the edges which are not.
post #1568 of 4000 Old 05-17-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I noticed there appears to be a version 1.2b of this disc? How is this different than version 1.2? Didn't see any reference to this in the main, first post of this thread. Thanks.
post #1569 of 4000 Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Imageburn had added extra empty folders on the initial release that I noticed later, and the v1.2b was to fix that. It's not noted in the first post because it's not really significant. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15539857

There will be a new release within the month. The main reason is to flag the video and to better document a few items discussed within the thread. Right now I'm adding popup menus to the HDMV related release and documentation will follow, so two weeks seems reasonable.
post #1570 of 4000 Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

There will be a new release within the month. The main reason is to flag the video and to better document a few items discussed within the thread. Right now I'm adding popup menus to the HDMV related release and documentation will follow, so two weeks seems reasonable.

I'm using the AVCHD version for my PS3 and the MP4 files for my PC. Is there anything new I should be aware of with the upcoming release and will the changes be described on the first post of this thread?
post #1571 of 4000 Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak View Post

hmm, your absolutely right. Tried that last night and it worked.

I must of missunderstood it the last time I read it. Thought you needed the add on.

Thanks.

Again, Great work, way better then the DVE and AVIA I have.

I would stick with a release version, simply because a lot of time and effort is/was put into verifying each pattern.

One of the biggest obstacles to overcome in producing a test disc is to make sure that everything is absolutely correct in the finished product. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to tell if the patterns are still accurate after you transcode it in something like WMV. In some cases it works, some it doesn't, and it can be difficult to double check. We actually check all of our patterns by decoding them and checking them for the correct digital values. If you can't do that, then it would be hard to verify that they are still correct after transcoding.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #1572 of 4000 Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

I would stick with a release version, simply because a lot of time and effort is/was put into verifying each pattern.

One of the biggest obstacles to overcome in producing a test disc is to make sure that everything is absolutely correct in the finished product. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to tell if the patterns are still accurate after you transcode it in something like WMV. In some cases it works, some it doesn't, and it can be difficult to double check. We actually check all of our patterns by decoding them and checking them for the correct digital values. If you can't do that, then it would be hard to verify that they are still correct after transcoding.

I agree. This was the reason I asked the question abuot the MWW, I wasnt sure. Friday night I burned the MP4 file to a DVD-RW and played that on the Xbox and it worked. I would rather not convert anything if I dont have to. The only section that I was unable to play was the resulution, all the other files worked great.

I have a oppo 970HD that upconverts to 1080i. Checked my grayscale last night with the MP4 disk to compare with the oppo. Prior to the MP4 software, I used the free version from Tom Hoffmans:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Checking my settings, I was right on with my blue color, contrast and brightness. My grayscale was off one click at the high end, but that was due to me lowering the brightness after I calibrated it a couple weeks ago and didnt have time to go back and re-check. I am a happy camper.

post #1573 of 4000 Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM

I'm using the avchd version on a PS3.
I need to know if I should be concerned about either, BD settings, DVD settings, or both in the XMB.

I'm guessing some settings may affect the output of the calibration disc to my lcd.

I apologize if this has been answered already, but 53 pages of thread is alot to skim through.
post #1574 of 4000 Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYFF View Post

I'm using the avchd version on a PS3.
I need to know if I should be concerned about either, BD settings, DVD settings, or both in the XMB.

I'm guessing some settings may affect the output of the calibration disc to my lcd.

I apologize if this has been answered already, but 53 pages of thread is alot to skim through.

I've got a plasma tv but use the following settings:

Set

BD / DVD Cinema Conversion to Automatic

DVD Wide Display to Letterbox

BD / DVD Upscaler to Normal

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) to Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr

BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) to Off (unless you TV supports true 24p output and does it well- very unlikely)

Cross Color Reduction Filter to Off (unless you're using composite or s-video)

RGB Full Range (HDMI) to Limited (unless you're using a PC monitor)

Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI) to On

All noise reduction features off (found under AV settings while playing downloaded videos or DVD's)
post #1575 of 4000 Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 AM

Hi, I'm in China and when I clicked on the download link, IE shows the website can not be accessed.

And I try to visit www.sendspace.com, fault too.

So if there is other way to download the AVCHD file?

Thanks!
post #1576 of 4000 Old 05-22-2009, 08:11 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss2000 View Post

Hi, I'm in China and when I clicked on the download link, IE shows the website can not be accessed.

And I try to visit www.sendspace.com, fault too.

Thanks!

Maybe you can post a site that isn't censor blocked and someone can try to upload it?
post #1577 of 4000 Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

There will be a new release within the month. The main reason is to flag the video

Has anyone experienced an issue with the video not being flagged?
post #1578 of 4000 Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Downloads don't seem to work.

sendspace.com

times out.
post #1579 of 4000 Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss2000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherman100 View Post

Downloads don't seem to work.

The v1.2 disc version .exe files are at http://www.spectracal.com/downloads.html
post #1580 of 4000 Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifteen2 View Post

Has anyone experienced an issue with the video not being flagged?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16013480 was the most specific item related to the video not being flagged that I had seen. The new v1.3 flagged version has been uploaded.
post #1581 of 4000 Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PRIMARY CHANGE:
- H.264 video has been recoded with " --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709" in x264 to flag the video. Prior releases were only flagged for Mpeg-2 used in the HD DVD.

VERSION CHANGES:
- New version called PATCHED introduced. This version is similar to the v1.2 AVCHD, but it retains all folders from the HDMV version to possibly add support for Denon and Magnavox players using DVD media.
- AVCHD version is now authored in the same manner as the v1.0 AVCHD. This change was made to support PowerDVD playback and to correct issues reported with some Samsung players.
- HDMV and PATCHED versions now include pop-up menus for an alternate way to navigate within sections.
- HDMV and PATCHED versions now loop back to restart the same video when you reach the end of a section. In HDMV or PATCHED when you chapter skip forward past the last chapter you will return to chapter 1.

CHANGES TO PATTERNS:
- A new "Backlight Comparison" pattern was added. Assuming a display gamma of 2.2, the left half is intended to be about 5% of 100% luminance and the right approximately 10% of 100% luminance. The actual percentage of 100% luminance will vary depending upon display gamma.
- The prior "Dynamic Brightness" pattern was revised to include a plus sign (+) in the middle of the screen for centering measurement equipment as requested. The pattern is now named "Dynamic and Center", and the pattern was chosen because it was already included in the ColorHCFR and CalMAN sections.
- Previous Misc. Patterns were split into "Section A" and "Section B" (does not apply to HD DVD)
- Prior "Resolution" section was renamed "Section C" (does not apply to HD DVD)
- Unflagged h.264 video is still included in a new Misc. Patterns video titled "Section E", and a similar flagged video is added in "Section D". (does not apply to HD DVD)
- The HDMV and PATCHED versions have added w6rz videos in Misc. Patterns "Section F" to "Section J" to look at motion, Y/C delay, and deinterlacing. These items were not added to other versions because the w6rz encode is Mpeg-2.

NOTES FOR PRIOR RELEASES:
AVCHD v1.2b Revision (1/12/09)
v1.2 Release Notes (1/11/09)
AVS HD 709 v1.0 Update (11/1/08)
Release Candidate 1 (2/12/08)
post #1582 of 4000 Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 PM

Thank you so much for producing this disc! I have used it extensively. The only problem is that now I am getting a little bit obsessed about making my display look as good as possible.

Cheers!

"A city on a hill cannot be hidden..."
post #1583 of 4000 Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucheez View Post

the only problem is that now i am getting a little bit obsessed about making my display look as good as possible.

+1 :d

post #1584 of 4000 Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 337
For the BLU-RAY PLAYERS LIST:

I can confirm that v1.3 AVCHD, HDMV and PATCHED all run on the OPPO BDP-83.

The AVCHD version will also run when copied to a USB device. (I use a thumb drive).

-Bill
post #1585 of 4000 Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the information on the Oppo.
post #1586 of 4000 Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 PM

for bluray compatibility you may want to crossreference this list:

i don't have 3 posts so i can't post URLs:

forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339
post #1587 of 4000 Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 PM

you may want to have a look at multiavchd / tsmuxer for authoring your avchd and bluray discs.

Does Encore CS4 re-encode anything?
post #1588 of 4000 Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM

Yesterday I tested both AVCHD (standard and patched) versions on a Pioneer BDP-51FD (firm. 1.25a) and they both run perfectly.
post #1589 of 4000 Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM

Gonna run the AVCHD on my 320 and see how it works on my TV. Thanks guys!
post #1590 of 4000 Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierS View Post

Pioneer BDP-51FD (firm. 1.25a)

Thank you for the reply about playback.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags