AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 3986 Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNg View Post

PS3 has 2 settings: 16-244 and 0-255 for output.
What should I choose?
According to the game? Or blu-ray movie?
What page of AVS HD 709 do I need to use particularly for calibration the corresponding setting.

Thanks.

I use limited for games and select Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr with super white on for movies.

Simply set the following:

RGB Full Range to Limited

Video Output Format to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White to On
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 3986 Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CT_Wiebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PaulNg -- You use the Brightness & Contrast patterns for setting the grayscale and the Color & Tint patterns for setting the color. Read the AVCHD Patterns Manual (PDF) - or the manual for whichever version you downloaded (the downloads for these are also in Post #1).

For additional help in how to calibrate, etc., you should read the threads that are in the "Related Links" near the bottom of Post #1.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
CT_Wiebe is offline  
post #1623 of 3986 Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Member
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if any of these work on a Sammy P1400

There is no listing in the compatibility list.
menaceuk is offline  
post #1624 of 3986 Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CT_Wiebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
menaceuk -- It is included (the 3rd Samsung player), but all of the formats are indicated as "?" = not tested. You need to read your P1400 manual to see what formats are compatible. You need to compare the options listed in post #1, to see what looks like the most compatible format to what your manual says.

Your P1400 may not be able to read the AVCHD format burned to a DVD-R disc. Those discs are cheap, so it won't cost a lot to try. You may need to find a BD burner and write the HDMV version on a BD-RE disc.

PS -- Most of the Sammy players are compatible with the AVCHD version.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
CT_Wiebe is offline  
post #1625 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Knd
Senior Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My player, samsung 2500, has the latest firmware, but I can't play the Misc Patterns. Basic and HCFR patterns work fine (I have to turn off 24 fps or nothing works).

Anyone else having issues with this player and the Misc Patterns, or am I doing something wrong?
Knd is offline  
post #1626 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Member
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

menaceuk -- It is included (the 3rd Samsung player), but all of the formats are indicated as "?" = not tested. You need to read your P1400 manual to see what formats are compatible. You need to compare the options listed in post #1, to see what looks like the most compatible format to what your manual says.

Your P1400 may not be able to read the AVCHD format burned to a DVD-R disc. Those discs are cheap, so it won't cost a lot to try. You may need to find a BD burner and write the HDMV version on a BD-RE disc.

PS -- Most of the Sammy players are compatible with the AVCHD version.

Yeah i read my manuel but it doesn't state any of those are compatible but i have no clue what was if anything was added via the patches.

I will just give the AVCHD one a bash as i have plenty of DVD-/+R discs.
menaceuk is offline  
post #1627 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

My player, samsung 2500, has the latest firmware, but I can't play the Misc Patterns. Basic and HCFR patterns work fine (I have to turn off 24 fps or nothing works).

By the 24p comment I'll assume you're using the AVCHD version. So far this sort of thing hasn't been mentioned, so I have to guess it could be an issue with the DVD. Personally I would probably check the hash on the download, or else download again. Then I'd burn a new disk, preferably at a slower speed or to a different DVD type.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1628 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Member
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok the AVCHD works on the sammy P-1400
menaceuk is offline  
post #1629 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks for the feedback on the 1400.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1630 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Member
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW.

I thought i had a great picture before but armed with a little help from the descriptions and this fantastic disc.My blu-rays look a hell of alot better.

My brother came in as i was testing out the Incredible HULK and he thought i got a new TV

Would like to say thanks to all those involved in creating this disc and descriptions and all the info.Has helped me a ton and is much appreciated.

Question:Anybody know where i can get an SD calibration thing like this ?
menaceuk is offline  
post #1631 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,967
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post

Question:Anybody know where i can get an SD calibration thing like this ?

The GetGray disc is not free, but is downloadable: http://www.calibrate.tv/. The manual is free if you want to see what's on the disc: http://www.calibrate.tv/docs/GetGrayCalDiscReadme.zip

DVE and Avia are commercial discs available from retail outlets.

THX Optimizer is included for free on many commercial DVDs. Title catalog here: http://thx.com/home/dvd/search.html.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1632 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'll add to the comment by wmcclain above that Digital Video Essentials (DVE) and Avia or Avia II are also available at some rental sources such as Netflix or large city libraries, yet the rental copies probably will not have color filters like buying new. There is also a calibration DVD at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536, but it is mainly aimed at taking measurements.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1633 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Member
 
menaceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The GetGray disc is not free, but is downloadable: http://www.calibrate.tv/. The manual is free if you want to see what's on the disc: http://www.calibrate.tv/docs/GetGrayCalDiscReadme.zip

DVE and Avia are commercial discs available from retail outlets.

THX Optimizer is included for free on many commercial DVDs. Title catalog here: http://thx.com/home/dvd/search.html.

-Bill

Yeah i know about Avia and that but don't really want to spend money for SD calibration as i am phasing all that out.

I tried that THX optimizer and that worked fine(found it on POTC:Curse of the black pearl).The changes made using it are noticable so i am happy
menaceuk is offline  
post #1634 of 3986 Old 06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the AVSHD disc. It enables me to make more precise adjustments (without equipment) than the DVE BD.

Several users have said that since firmware 1.32 the Pioneer BDP-51FD cannot read AVCHD. Mine could after some fiddling with settings on the BDP and the DVDO Edge.

On p.11 in the patched version manual, "error on the side of caution" should read "err on the side of caution".

In the patched disc, 'A8 - Dynamic and Center' and 'B1 - Backlight Comparison' screens, would it be more useful to put some figures such as % APL gray for quick reference?

Would it be possible in future versions to add some 1080i50 (25p) clips for assessing de-interlacing and judder for 50Hz 1:1 output and/or 50-60Hz conversion? Thanks.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
post #1635 of 3986 Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I thought I should mention that section A under Misc Settings doesn't loop back to the beginning like all the other sections/areas of the disc on my PS3 on the patched version.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #1636 of 3986 Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

section A under Misc Settings doesn't loop back to the beginning like all the other sections/areas of the disc on my PS3 on the patched version.

It seems my player behaves the same. I took a look at the authoring flowchart, and it's set like the rest of the videos. I also looked at Bdedit, and the .bdmv files look to navigate the same. All I noticed is that playlist 24 appears to have one less playlist mark compared to the nearest misc sections. At this point I would guess that if I set another playlist mark .042 of a second before the out time that it would function the same as the others, but I haven't tested the idea. Anyway thanks for the comment, I hadn't ran across it.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1637 of 3986 Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

"err on the side of caution".

Noted.

Quote:


In the patched disc, 'A8 - Dynamic and Center' and 'B1 - Backlight Comparison' screens, would it be more useful to put some figures such as % APL gray for quick reference?

I'll list what you questioned here if anyone happens to be interested.

The background on the dynamic pattern moves between 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

The backlight pattern uses 73 on the left and 94 on the right. That's about 26% and 36% in terms of percent stimulus. Assuming a 2.2 gamma the halves are about 5% and 10% of 100% luminance, which is how backlighting is generally discussed. The actual percentage of 100% luminance will depend on the display's gamma, and I went with 2.2 gamma based on what I had seen of digital TV measurements.

Quote:


Would it be possible in future versions to add some 1080i50 (25p) clips for assessing de-interlacing and judder for 50Hz 1:1 output and/or 50-60Hz conversion? Thanks.

Sections F to J are from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51#post6049851 You could always see if Ron would create 1080i50 clips. There are some considerations with how that isn't really Region A sort of video, but as long as the authoring software passes the video it would probably be possible to include some way or other.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1638 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Knd
Senior Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

By the 24p comment I'll assume you're using the AVCHD version. So far this sort of thing hasn't been mentioned, so I have to guess it could be an issue with the DVD. Personally I would probably check the hash on the download, or else download again. Then I'd burn a new disk, preferably at a slower speed or to a different DVD type.

Yes, I'm using the AVCHD version. I reburnt (is this a word?) the disk, one at 6X and one at 4x. Both had the same problem as my original burned disc. It is only the miscellaneous patterns - section C. Others in the miscellaneous patterns are OK, as well as the basic patters, and the HCFR windows.

I'm using Memorex discs, 16x, 4.7GB DVD +R. My burner is a pioneer in my laptop, and I'm using Nero.

I don't know what the hash is (I am checking the box to confirm data).

Any suggestions?
Knd is offline  
post #1639 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Before burning again, I would first make sure the downloaded .iso was good. The last download file (.zip) can be used to check the .iso with an md5 hash. You can use a program like md5summer to generate and check md5 hashes.

Even if the download and burn are good, Section C is primarily intended for 1080p displays. I'm not sure how the first few patterns in that section would look on displays that scale or don't display full resolution. Anyway, I was just throwing out other possible ideas beyond it necessarily being an issue with the player.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1640 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Member
 
hariskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kavala, Greece
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to calibrate my new Oppo Blu-ray player. Do I have do burn AVS HD 709 on a Blu-ray or can I also burn it on a DVD? Is there a difference regarding calibration results?
Thank you?
hariskar is offline  
post #1641 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hariskar View Post

I want to calibrate my new Oppo Blu-ray player. Do I have do burn AVS HD 709 on a Blu-ray or can I also burn it on a DVD? Is there a difference regarding calibration results?
Thank you?

You can burn the AVCHD or PATCHED versions to a DVD and they should play fine in most BluRay players. The result will be the same whether burned to BD or DVD.
daMaster is offline  
post #1642 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Member
 
hariskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kavala, Greece
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Instant reply! Thank you so much!
hariskar is offline  
post #1643 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Knd
Senior Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Before burning again, I would first make sure the downloaded .iso was good. The last download file (.zip) can be used to check the .iso with an md5 hash. You can use a program like md5summer to generate and check md5 hashes.

Even if the download and burn are good, Section C is primarily intended for 1080p displays. I'm not sure how the first few patterns in that section would look on displays that scale or don't display full resolution. Anyway, I was just throwing out other possible ideas beyond it necessarily being an issue with the player.


Thanks, but this is beyond my technical ability. I downloaded the md5summer, but could seem to get it to connect to a file.

I was just going to use these patterns to adjust sharpness, but the last pattern on the basic setting seemed to work well for this.

BTW, I love the disc and used the saturation patterns to calibrate my Epson 6500. Greatly improved the picture.

Thanks for developing this and keeping it updated.
Knd is offline  
post #1644 of 3986 Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Personally I haven't ran across a bad download or decompression, but I suppose it's possible. The md5summer program probably isn't any more technical than the other steps if you want to try it.

To use the program, on the first screen you need to navigate to the folder on your computer that contains the .iso file, click on the folder that contains the .iso, then click "create sums". On the next screen click on the .iso file at the left and select "add". Then select "ok" after having added the .iso file. The program will take a while to work and will create a file and show an md5 hash when done. If the md5 hash reads "b050dfa47a7d346ac3028c04154e604f" then the v1.3 AVCHD iso is good, and you likely have a disk that's the same as the original.
alluringreality is online now  
post #1645 of 3986 Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Knd
Senior Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Personally I haven't ran across a bad download or decompression, but I suppose it's possible. The md5summer program probably isn't any more technical than the other steps if you want to try it.

To use the program, on the first screen you need to navigate to the folder on your computer that contains the .iso file, click on the folder that contains the .iso, then click "create sums". On the next screen click on the .iso file at the left and select "add". Then select "ok" after having added the .iso file. The program will take a while to work and will create a file and show an md5 hash when done. If the md5 hash reads "b050dfa47a7d346ac3028c04154e604f" then the v1.3 AVCHD iso is good, and you likely have a disk that's the same as the original.

Thanks for the tutorial. I just ran it as you described and got the same reading as above, so the download is fine. Must be my burner, or my player (samsung 2500).

Thanks.
Knd is offline  
post #1646 of 3986 Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
ToBeFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

I'm using Memorex discs, 16x, 4.7GB DVD +R. My burner is a pioneer in my laptop, and I'm using Nero.

Try some Verbatim discs and/or DVD-R discs. I've had problems with Memorex discs before, but never Verbatim discs. Also, if your 2500 is like my 3600, it doesn't say it supports +R, only -R. Although, my 3600 plays Verbatim DVD +R DL discs just fine.
ToBeFrank is offline  
post #1647 of 3986 Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Knd
Senior Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank View Post

Try some Verbatim discs and/or DVD-R discs. I've had problems with Memorex discs before, but never Verbatim discs. Also, if your 2500 is like my 3600, it doesn't say it supports +R, only -R. Although, my 3600 plays Verbatim DVD +R DL discs just fine.

I found a Maxell disc at home and just burnt another copy so I'll see if that works. If not I'll look for Verbatim discs this weekend.

I check my manual and there is no mention of supporting DVD +R, as you suggested. The Maxell is also +R. So if I need to get some new discs this weekend I'll look for -R also.

Thanks again.
Knd is offline  
post #1648 of 3986 Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

I found a Maxell disc at home and just burnt another copy so I'll see if that works. If not I'll look for Verbatim discs this weekend.

I check my manual and there is no mention of supporting DVD +R, as you suggested. The Maxell is also +R. So if I need to get some new discs this weekend I'll look for -R also.

Thanks again.

+R discs always have compatibility issues. I've never encountered a device that doesn't play -R, but plenty that don't play +R.

As a rule I always avoid buying +R discs. Honestly, I don't even know why they make them anymore!
daMaster is offline  
post #1649 of 3986 Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,967
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

+R discs always have compatibility issues. I've never encountered a device that doesn't play -R, but plenty that don't play +R.

As a rule I always avoid buying +R discs. Honestly, I don't even know why they make them anymore!

It's off-topic, but...

This article convinced me to switch from -R to +R:
http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/20...archival-media

I had been using Taiyo Yuden for single-layer and Verbatim for dual-layer, and continue to do so. I buy media from rima.com.

No trouble with +R on my recent players (all OPPO).

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1650 of 3986 Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Member
 
hariskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kavala, Greece
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

You can burn the AVCHD or PATCHED versions to a DVD and they should play fine in most BluRay players. The result will be the same whether burned to BD or DVD.

But here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 it says:

If you are using a Blu-ray or HD DVD test disc, set the "Color Space - Standard" option to HDTV - REC 709.
If you are using a Standard DVD test disc that is in PAL or SECAM format, set the Color Space - Standard option to PAL/SECAM.

So, which color space should I use if I use a DVD test disk to calibrate my Blu-ray? Thank you!
hariskar is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off