post #1651 of 4095 Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hariskar View Post

But here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 it says:

If you are using a Blu-ray or HD DVD test disc, set the "Color Space - Standard" option to HDTV - REC 709.
If you are using a Standard DVD test disc that is in PAL or SECAM format, set the Color Space - Standard option to PAL/SECAM.

So, which color space should I use if I use a DVD test disk to calibrate my Blu-ray? Thank you!

Even though you burned the disk image to a DVD and not a Blu-ray, the resulting disc is used to calibrate your Blu-ray player for playing Blu-ray discs. So you should set the colorspace in the software to REC 709.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 4095 Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree View Post

Even though you burned the disk image to a DVD and not a Blu-ray, the resulting disc is used to calibrate your Blu-ray player for playing Blu-ray discs. So you should set the colorspace in the software to REC 709.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!
post #1653 of 4095 Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

I need some help. My optoma EP709 dose not have colour or tint controls what it has is RED GREEN BLUE Full range, ie. move the controls and you get a colour cast. RED GREEN BLUE CYAN MAGENTA YELLOW enhanced that seem to change the intensity. How do I use these controls to set up colour and tint. If you could help me with this I would be very apprecative. Thank you for your help.
Jim R
post #1654 of 4095 Old 07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Welcome to AVS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ryckman View Post

I need some help. My optoma EP709 dose not have colour or tint controls what it has is RED GREEN BLUE Full range
Jim R

You have better than simple color and tint controls. This should be of some help.
post #1655 of 4095 Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 PM

BODOSOM: Thanks for the link,A good read. What I should have asked is what do these controls do to the colour space. Which controls control what eg, saturation,hue, brightness,contrast etc,. If you could answer that I would be a very happy guy. Thank you for your help.
Jim R.
post #1656 of 4095 Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ryckman View Post

BODOSOM: Thanks for the link,A good read. What I should have asked is what do these controls do to the colour space.

Unfortunately I don't know but the color control commonly reduces the brightness of all colors at once and the tint control rotates the secondary colors. Individual controls probably adjust the brightness. You can search around for Optoma information or just measure/adjust/measure and see what's happening.
post #1657 of 4095 Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
James Ryckman -- Be very careful with those controls, they will adjust gamma as well as the color space. You really need measurement instrumentation in order to set those correctly. And be sure to write down the factory settings, before you start, or you may wind up with a totally screwed up picture with no way to get back.

I believe those are similar to the CMS controls, but I am not an expert in that area.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #1658 of 4095 Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Could you guys make a pattern that has white bars where the black ones are and make place where the video is black. too help with uneven pixel age on plasmas.
post #1659 of 4095 Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6666p View Post

Could you guys make a pattern that has white bars where the black ones are and make place where the video is black. too help with uneven pixel age on plasmas.

There are existing patterns, arraigned into a ".avi" or ".mpg" movie format that provide alternating patterns (black, white, red, green, & blue - at various intensity levels) which can be used (from a PC) to exercise a fixed panel display (like a LCD HDTV or a Plasma). With a PC movie player, they can be looped (repeat play) into a continuous sequence that runs for as long as you want it to.

I went through my files and I could not find a reference to any of these in my personal archives. Maybe someone else may have a reference. If I do find something I will send you a PM.

PS -- You might want to check the "Plasma Flat Panel Displays" and "LCD Flat Panel Displays" threads, too (if you haven't already). They may have something posted there. Look for "Image Burn-in" and "Image Retention" problems.

post #1660 of 4095 Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

wmcclain -- Thanks for your reference to the OT subject of DVD-R vs DVD+R media (post # 1649, above). However, of all of the DVD players that I own, only one can read DVD+R discs (my newest model, and then only provisionally), the rest specifically state that they are not compatible with DVD+R media.

post #1661 of 4095 Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

wmcclain -- Thanks for your reference to the OT subject of DVD-R vs DVD+R media (post # 1649, above). However, of all of the DVD players that I own, only one can read DVD+R discs (my newest model, and then only provisionally), the rest specifically state that they are not compatible with DVD+R media.

My experience is to the contrary. I've owned Apex, JVC, Panasonic, RCA, Magnavox, Philips and Samsung DVD players and all could play DVD+Rs (and. with the exception of the JVC -- an older unit -- all could play DVD+RWs). This, despite claims from Panasonic and Samsung that their units would not play the DVD+ format.

Jim
post #1662 of 4095 Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM

I almost done calibrating my 50s1 with DVE hd basics and AVS 709 avchd but have a problem . I dont know what pattern is best to setting brightness in a plasma , DVE pludge pattern or AVS low apl pattern.If I use AVS to set the brightnees the second bar of DVE desappear (only can see one bar) .The difference between the two are only one click in the remote .These are my settings with the two.[list][*]DVE[*]cinema[*]picture 79[*]brightness 50[*]color 36[*]tint +8[*]sharpness 57
AVS
cinema
picture 79
brightness 49
color 36
tint +8
sharpness 57
The only thing that changes between the two is the brightness. If anyone knows whats the best and why your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
post #1663 of 4095 Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fensony View Post

If I use AVS to set the brightnees the second bar of DVE desappear (only can see one bar) .The difference between the two are only one click in the remote .

On most digital displays if you set brightness high enough to flash 17 then the two above black stripes will show on DVE. I suppose maybe the brighter levels in the DVE pattern is causing the stated behavior with the display, in which case using the 2nd APL pattern might make more sense with this disc. Anyway, if the difference is only one click I'd probably use the higher setting and then look at the APL pattern to double check that below black levels (under 16) don't flash. If the below black bars flash on the APL pattern that would indicate that brightness is set too high, but odds are that the higher setting from DVE will probably make 16 appear as the darkest shade on the APL pattern.
post #1664 of 4095 Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6666p View Post

Sure that's the sort of thing that could be created by the process we use. I don't own a plasma and consider it slightly off-topic from calibration, but I can see how such a thing could be useful. Basically my perspective is that I'd rather tell someone how they could do this, rather than necessarily to do it myself. So if someone wants to take the lead and create a plasma-related HD pattern, I could help with the step by step how to do it.
post #1665 of 4095 Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

So if someone wants to take the lead and create a plasma-related HD pattern, I could help with the step by step how to do it.

Um, maybe still a bit off-topic but you just reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask. Are there generally accepted values for APL. Which would be what you would use in a set of reverse 2.35 (and 4:3) patterns.
post #1666 of 4095 Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi guys

I really have a big big dumb question, can someone tell me what is the best pattern (and where it is in the disc) in the AVS HD 709 to make a visual adjustment of the contrast on my PJ and how do i do it properly?

Many thanks
post #1667 of 4095 Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The general process we use here to author to Blu-ray is basically four steps:

1) Create a 1920x1080 image and save as 24-bit .tga
2) Convert .tga to .yuv
3) Encode video from .yuv
4) Author video to Blu-ray compatible disc

STEP 1 – CREATE IMAGE

Paint.net or Photoshop are two programs that are able to save to 24-bit .tga images, but I'm sure there are many other image editing programs able to do the same. All of the video used in the project is 1920x1080, so that will be the expected image resolution. Generally just keep the RGB values between 1 and 254, or 16 to 235 if you want to stick to the black to white range. If all R, G, and B are equal you have a gray, and for example if one color is at 235 while the others are 16 you have a primary color. There should be information online for how to use different image editing software, so the most important item is that at the end of this step you need to save to a 24-bit .tga file with a 1920x1080 size.

In the attachment, example.tga is the expected sort of image to have at the end of this step.

STEP 2 – CONVERT TO .YUV

For this step we use a program from dr1394. rgbtouyvy.exe is explained in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12165597 or the yuv.bat from the attachment will work on the example.tga image.

With the attachment, you can use the yuv.bat to convert example.tga to example.yuv to complete this step.

STEP 3 – ENCODE TO VIDEO

We encode using http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/ and http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/files/ After installing those two programs you also need to extract http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/...l_20060728.zip into the Avisynth plugins directory. Once you open MeGUI allow the program to update and install the profiles. Click “...” by AviSynth script to select a .avs file for encoding, by encoder settings choose the x264: standalone AVCHD option (spelled slightly differently), and by file format choose the raw .264 setting.

The example.avs in the attachment is setup to encode approximately three minues of video. You will need to change C:\\example.yuv to the path where example.yuv is located, and after doing that you can use the file for your AviSynth script to encode the example (or just put the .yuv in C:\\). The .avs file can be edited to display different images, for example flashing.

STEP 4 – AUTHOR TO BLU-RAY

There are a number of programs that can author .264 video to Blu-ray compatible files. MultiAVCHD and TsMuxer are free programs, or there are a number of commercial programs. If the program authors to AVCHD folders and you want to burn to DVD media, then you need to burn to UDF 2.5 or 2.6 like described in step 4 from http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd...-guide-232165/ Generally creating disks compatible with Blu-ray players is discussed in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...815296&page=65

Anyway, that's the general overview of how to author chosen images to Blu-ray compatible video. If there are specific questions of problems encountered, and what to do with different steps, I can address those items. The example.zip attachment should contain the following files:

example.avs
example.tga
rgbtouyvy.exe (49,152 bytes)
yuv.bat

Note1: Some more example files, and my x264 video encode settings are included in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21567091
Note2: If you would like to place multiple images in the same video, see the .avs attachment from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21564901
Note3: How to check video levels from encoded video is mentioned in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21583899

Example.zip 34.1865234375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example.zip (34.2 KB, 44 views)
post #1668 of 4095 Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazofio View Post

can someone tell me what is the best pattern (and where it is in the disc) in the AVS HD 709 to make a visual adjustment of the contrast on my PJ and how do i do it properly?

The third pattern under Basic Settings is generally intended for looking at clipping for contrast. There are PDF files in the first post with further descriptions of the main patterns, including that one.
post #1669 of 4095 Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi all, I have a question regarding the black and white level test patterns. I'm using a ps3 and a philips 32inch hdtv, and am connected with hdmi (settings: Rgb limited, Super-White off). When the disk asks that I adjust the black level so that 17-25 can be seen, and I do it, it seems fine. but when I return to the ps3 xmb, the blacks lack any punch; everything is just a bit too bright. Is this because the dvd is unnaturally dark already, or is it really best to have the blacks looking a tad grey? I mostly use the Ps3 for gaming, maybe these discs are geared more towards Blu-ray filma than Blu-ray games? I'm new to this calibration stuff, so there's problably an obvious explanation, but any help would be appreciated.
post #1670 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 PM

I think I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the HDMV file, and used Nero to burn it to a BD Disk (expensive). The burn seemed successful (including verification. However, my Panasonic BD-55 recognizes it as Bluray, but brings up a meno and indicates there is no content. Browsing the disk under windows doscloses that all the files and directories are there. Berfore I waste more $ in creating bluray coasters, I thought I'd ask for some help.

Joe
post #1671 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsworthy View Post

When the disk asks that I adjust the black level so that 17-25 can be seen, and I do it, it seems fine. but when I return to the ps3 xmb, the blacks lack any punch; everything is just a bit too bright.

If you set brightness as low as possible so that 17 just barely flashes, then generally black should be as dark as the display is able to produce. On most displays going lower with brightness than where 16 stops flashing (assuming TV can display below blacks) will not actually make black any darker, but it's possible that it may on a few displays. You can observe how your TV performs by turning down brightness on the black clipping pattern below the recommended setting. Most likely if you use a lower setting the level where clipping starts will change, but the actual brightness of the clipped portion will probably be about the same.

The digital displays I've looked at generally don't make the darkest portion any darker by turning down brightness, so I have to figure that what you're really talking about is either the darkest level the display can produce or else gamma.

DARKEST LEVEL:
If the display is an LCD then it might have a backlight adjustment, and by turning down the backlight then the light output will be lowered and the darkest level will be darker. Having more light in the room may also change perception so that the darkest level appears darker.

GAMMA:
Gamma is basically how light changes between the darkest level and the brightest level. The first couple patterns in Misc Patterns Section A can give you an idea if any controls on your display, except for brightness and contrast, affect how the TV increases brightness between black and white. By turning down brightness below the recommended setting you are effectively raising gamma, and cutting off information intended to be displayed. I am not familiar with your display, but some displays will have additional controls, besides brightness and contrast, that will affect the light output for levels between black and white.

To sum all of the above up:
- Going lower with brightness probably doesn't make black any darker.
- Turning down a backlight on an LCD would make black darker, and more light in the room may affect near-black perception.
- Some displays will have additional controls to change how light increases between black and white. If that's the case with your TV then those controls may allow you to darken near-blacks, otherwise using a lower than recommended brightness setting would have a similar effect of making near-blacks darker.
post #1672 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it just me or is there a problem with the CalMAN fields?
post #1673 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpurvis View Post

I downloaded the HDMV file, and used Nero to burn it to a BD Disk (expensive).

I'd suggest sticking to BD-RE so the disc can be reused. I just have some BD-RE I picked up at microcenter, but if you have to order meritline or newegg are usually reasonable. You don't say what operating system you're using, but Vista SP2 or Win7 can format and burn Blu-ray without any other software. I think I might have used Imgburn for Blu-ray at some point, but generally I just use windows explorer and right click on the drive to format the disc and then copy the files over.

I took a quick look at Nero 8 on my computer. UDF is set to automatic so I have to assume they get that right. The only thing I would question with Nero is that my version defaults to multisession.
post #1674 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Is it just me or is there a problem with the CalMAN fields?

The general method of troubleshooting is:

- Which version are you using?
- Did you happen to check the hash on the download or .iso?
- Did you burn with a program like Imgburn to verify the burned disc?

Beyond that there isn't enough information for me to backcheck to see if I'm getting the same behavior. There is a reported chapter navigation item I have corrected for the v1.3 HDMV and PATCHED versions, which hasn't been released, but otherwise no one has mentioned any other authoring issues so far.
post #1675 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

- Which version are you using?
- Did you happen to check the hash on the download or .iso?
- Did you burn with a program like Imgburn to verify the burned disc?

Ah sorry about that.

I downloaded AVCHD-v1_3.7z and the 7zip and iso checksums match. I burned the iso to dvd+r on my Mac and copied the files to a memory card. Both the disc and the memory card show the same behavior on my BD-83. Every selection except the CalMAN fields works correctly. The fields chapter causes the -83 to freeze. I'll be able to check the disc on my BDP-S550 tomorrow.

Edit:
I burned the Patched version. That one is fine.

Edit part II:
I burned a new AVCHD disc and everything is now fine. My bad (disc).
post #1676 of 4095 Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I have searched and found the PS3 settings, but have not found this addressed:

HDMI Black Level

My Samsung LCD has a setting for "HDMI Black Level" either Low or Normal.

Which is correct for our purposes?
post #1677 of 4095 Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I have searched and found the PS3 settings, but have not found this addressed:

HDMI Black Level

My Samsung LCD has a setting for "HDMI Black Level" either Low or Normal.

Which is correct for our purposes?

i think a question requiring specific knowledge of samsung LCD's should be asked in a samsung LCD forum. i realize it's quite possible there are some samsung owners here that might help you out. but i know *i* can't that's for sure...
post #1678 of 4095 Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Samsung LCD has a setting for "HDMI Black Level" either Low or Normal. Which is correct for our purposes?

Check out this lengthy explanation of levels.
post #1679 of 4095 Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

i think a question requiring specific knowledge of samsung LCD's should be asked in a samsung LCD forum. i realize it's quite possible there are some samsung owners here that might help you out. but i know *i* can't that's for sure...

Thanks. Just as specific settings involving use of the disc these guys have produced for us involving the PS3 are discussed in this thread, so should settings in a very common TV. If I go to the LCD forum and ask what HDMI Black Level to use with the Rec 709 disc, nobody will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Check out this lengthy explanation of levels.

Thanks. Great and informative post, but no mention about the setting I'm asking about.
post #1680 of 4095 Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great and informative post, but no mention about the setting I'm asking about.

That post provides the context you need because that setting almost certainly sets ref. black to either 16 or 1 (or 0) in case the source is broken. The basic patterns (brightness, contrast, clipping) will help you sort it out.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page