post #151 of 3971 Old 12-19-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I was seeing some banding in U-571

I seem to recall there was some controversy about this title when it was released in the d-Theater dVHS format.... many saw banding in the dock scenes around the lights... it may well be in the source.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3971 Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4legs View Post

I've just copied and pasted from the owners manual
http://panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingIns...000-oi-eng.pdf

You can monitor if the brightness and
contrast level of the input signal is in the
recommended range by displaying it in the
waveform monitor. See "WAVEFORM
MONITOR" on page 32.
1. Project a commercial adjusting signal.
2. Press the WAVEFORM button to display the
waveform monitor.
3. Press ENTER button to select the required
adjusting mode.
4. Press F G I H to adjust the displaying
position of the waveform monitor.
5. Adjust the waveform in each menu.
Adjusting the waveform
Make sure to adjust to the 0% line first. Any signal level
below the recommended range will be forced to 0%.
Adjusting in PICTURE menu
Press PIC. ADJUST button to display the
PICTURE menu and adjust BRIGHTNESS
(-32 to +32) and CONTRAST (-64 to +64) with
I H.
Adjusting in ADVANCED menu
Press PIC. ADJUST twice to display the
ADVANCED menu and adjust BRIGHTNESS
(-16 to +16) and CONTRAST (-32 to +32) in red,
green and blue with I H.
Adjusting the waveform of the input signal
OFF Deactivate the waveform monitor.
FULL SCAN
Monitoring the waveform of
brightness and contrast of the
whole image.
SINGLE LINE
SCAN
Monitoring the waveform of
detailed brightness and contrast in
each horizontal line of the image.
Press F G to select the required
line.
NOTE:
When you adjust the SINGLE LINE SCAN, the
position of the waveform is depends on the
position of the selected line.
When the WAVEFORM displayed, the COLOR
MANAGEMENT is disabled.
FULL SCAN(Y) SINGLE LINE SCAN(B)
FULL SCAN(R) SINGLE LINE SCAN(G)
FULL SCAN(G) SINGLE LINE SCAN(R)
FULL SCAN(B) SINGLE LINE SCAN(Y)
BRIGHTNESS Adjust the bottom line of the
waveform to 0 % (0/7.5 IRE).
CONTRAST Adjust the top line of the waveform
to 100 % (100 IRE).
In red
BRIGHTNESS R Adjust the bottom line of the
CONTRAST R Adjust the top line of the waveform
to 100 % (100 IRE).
In green
BRIGHTNESS G Adjust the bottom line of the
CONTRAST G Adjust the top line of the waveform
to 100 % (100 IRE).
In blue
BRIGHTNESS B Adjust the bottom line of the
CONTRAST B Adjust the top line of the waveform
to 100 % (100 IRE).
NOTE:
When the Main menu (except WAVEFORM and
individually displayed menu item) is displayed, the
waveform monitor will be halt.
When the waveform monitor is displayed, the
Main menu will be displayed in order not to
interfere the waveform monitor.
100%
50%
0%
100%
50%
0%
100%
50%
0%
ENTER
Optimal
dynamic range
Adjust to 100%
Adjust to 0%
Monitor position
Optimal
dynamic range
Adjust to 100%
Adjust to 0%
Monitor position
PC/HDMI (Expand)
Signal level
Signal level

It sounds like the waveform monitor is to monitor the incoming signal and then adjust based on the signal. You are basically telling the projector (this is an FP right?) what voltage represents black, what voltage represents white, and so forth. It also sounds like it would only apply to analog signals, but it is hard to tell from that documentation.

There are some patterns you can use on our disk to give you a 100% white field, black field, RGB fields, etc, but you should really consult someone who knows what they are doing with this specific projector. It sounds like you could really screw some stuff up if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I'd wait for someone with more experience to post, but you will probably have better luck starting your own thread. If you figure out exactly what pattern you need and want to know if it is on the disk, then ask here and we can tell you.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #153 of 3971 Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
I also managed to find an old post from Kelvin1965S
dummies guide to the waveform monitor
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...veform+monitor

Post 19

Panasonic AE1000 - Loving 108" of 1080P
Blu - PS3
Red - Toshiba A3
Onkyo 605 - Loving Lossless Audio
post #154 of 3971 Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4legs View Post

I've just copied and pasted from the owners manual
http://panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingIns...000-oi-eng.pdf

I would think the "single line scan" option could be used. As far as I can tell the feature gives a graphical representation of signal levels. I'm thinking if you go to the uniformity section you'll get a horizontal line across the monitor. I'm thinking if you use the windows it will show black (0%) at the outsides and the % window in the middle, so that if you went to the 100% window you could have both black and white on the monitor for setting brightness and contrast. If you use it for the colors, then you would probably want to use the 100% colors section. We do not have vertical gray bars like is shown in the manual (the middle of Misc Patterns chapter 1 might be similar), but by the best I can tell from their pictures I think the waveform monitor just relates signal levels. To me it looks like an amplitude monitor of some sort. By the "Any signal level below the recommended range will be forced to 0%" it appears anything below 0% will be clipped like can be seen on the black-clipping pattern from the disk (0% is 16 on the black-clipping pattern).
post #155 of 3971 Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I need to try a couple of other movies to see if I get banding at this higher contrast. It is probably the movie. The thing is I see some banding even at the beginning during the Universal title.

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #156 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 12:21 AM

the blue ray version seems to think it's an iso image for a CD, but i see that it's supposed to be a DVD, but nero won't recognize the iso as one for a dvd. seems like there's a compatibility issue? i'm using nero 6.6. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?
post #157 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 AM

it happened to me as well, download and use imageburn...that works.
post #158 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiesel View Post

the blue ray version seems to think it's an iso image for a CD, but i see that it's supposed to be a DVD, but nero won't recognize the iso as one for a dvd. seems like there's a compatibility issue? i'm using nero 6.6. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

alluringreality will have to look into that one, but it sounds like a Nero issue. Did you try burning it to CD? It may work.... I don't know if AVCHD has to be on DVD or if it can also be on CD.

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #159 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On the Nero 8 trial I was using to burn to UDF 2.5 for testing, you have to select DVD even though it initially comes up as CD. My player can't even read CDs and AVCHD is intended for DVD as far as I know, so I think it makes sense to burn to DVD. I would agree with the reply to try something other than Nero 6.
post #160 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

alluringreality will have to look into that one, but it sounds like a Nero issue. Did you try burning it to CD? It may work.... I don't know if AVCHD has to be on DVD or if it can also be on CD.

i did try to burn to CD but it didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

On the Nero 8 trial I was using to burn to UDF 2.5 for testing, you have to select DVD even though it initially comes up as CD. My player can't even read CDs and AVCHD is intended for DVD as far as I know, so I think it makes sense to burn to DVD. I would agree with the reply to try something other than Nero 6.

i'll try something other than nero 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresicce View Post

it happened to me as well, download and use imageburn...that works.

thanks, i'll try that. is that the same program as imgburn?
post #161 of 3971 Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiesel View Post

i did try to burn to CD but it didn't work.

i'll try something other than nero 6.

thanks, i'll try that. is that the same program as imgburn?

Yes. ImgBurn is basically the king of burning programs in my opinion. It doesn't have a thousand bells and whistles like Nero, but it does what it does exceptionally well.

Tom who?
post #162 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 02:18 AM

@vdiesel
Yes. Imgburn.
post #163 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 AM

Would it be possible to add something like what is shown at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...73543&SiteID=1 to your disc. I think it would be useful do be able to see what a player is reporting as capabilities. I am going to be downloading your disc today and testing on new Samsung Duo player. I look forward to having it in my bag of tricks along with GetGray. Thanks.
post #164 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

Would it be possible to add something like what is shown at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...73543&SiteID=1 to your disc. I think it would be useful do be able to see what a player is reporting as capabilities. I am going to be downloading your disc today and testing on new Samsung Duo player. I look forward to having it in my bag of tricks along with GetGray. Thanks.

It looks like the link is broken. I get an error from the MSDN forums when I try to follow it. Can you double check it?

Tom who?
post #165 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 07:15 AM

The site is really slow sometimes, the link works but will time out. Try this link to msn cache of page. Sorry to make it difficult.
post #166 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read the thread. I can't really understand what they are doing from that thread alone.

Do you know how they generated that output?

If anybody knows it will be Ron (dr1934). He may read this and give input. If you are really interested in it, you might want to start a new thread here or ask in the MSDN forums how it is done.

EDIT: Are they using HDi?

EDIT2: Nevermind, alluringreality figured it out.

Tom who?
post #167 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first one worked for me, yet I'm not sure how someone would run that http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us I find it interesting that a HD player can run it, but I really don't get the practical application. There's not much there that's there which is different between players or doesn't show up on a spec sheet. Beyond that, I would have to get permission to use it. Feel free to explian how to use it and the application, but aside from the "Player.capabilities.video.sub" nothing much caught my attention as interesting in the results.
post #168 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The first one worked for me, yet I'm not sure how someone would run that http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us I find it interesting that a HD player can run it, but I really don't get the practical application. There's not much there that's there which is different between players or doesn't show up on a spec sheet. Beyond that, I would have to get permission to use it. Feel free to explian how to use it and the application, but aside from the "Player.capabilities.video.sub" nothing much caught my attention as interesting in the results.

Honestly the reason I am interested is to test what a player truly supports with a given firmware vs. what was promised on a spec sheet. It might not have an ongoing use. I was just thinking it would be another data point for testing and verifying a player. I am not sure if there is a way to do the same on Blu-Ray using BD-J to interogate the player. Also as to permission I think this is a feature set built into the HDi JScript engine not some additional code.

I have just gotten a Samsung Duo player that claims support for TrueHD, however Batman Begins using something similar to this claims it doesn't. It would be nice to be able to verify.

Your disc may not be the best place for it though. Thanks for looking at it.
post #169 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM

I downloaded the HD-DVD version to try on the new Samsung BD-UP5000. The menu loads up fine but then I can't seem to navigate well.
1. I can move cursor to the right to down arrow, I can then hit the arrow to move the list. Once the list moves I can do nothing but move the list back up.

2. I can move to the second selection on the list but no farther down.

3. I can select either the top or second option and see the expanded rows but then I can't seem to do anything farther.

I can't seem to get the disc to actually play at all. I am sure this is a incomplete HDi in the player but I wanted to let you know. If I am doing something wrong let me know and I will try another way.

I just downloaded the AVC version and will try it and report back. One side question is in theory both discs should have the same ouptut correct on this player?
post #170 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I downloaded the HD-DVD version to try on the new Samsung BD-UP5000. The menu loads up fine but then I can't seem to navigate well.
1. I can move cursor to the right to down arrow, I can then hit the arrow to move the list. Once the list moves I can do nothing but move the list back up.

2. I can move to the second selection on the list but no farther down.

3. I can select either the top or second option and see the expanded rows but then I can't seem to do anything farther.

I can't seem to get the disc to actually play at all. I am sure this is a incomplete HDi in the player but I wanted to let you know. If I am doing something wrong let me know and I will try another way.

I just downloaded the AVC version and will try it and report back. One side question is in theory both discs should have the same ouptut correct on this player?

Yes, they should both give the same output (we have verified that they are both the same on disc). Let us know what you find.

Tom who?
post #171 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Well I had less success with the AVCHD disc. The Duo just says disc can't be read and spits it back out. I burned both discs using same media and ImgBurn. Any ideas?
post #172 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It had to happen sooner or later, so 2000+ downloads for the first incompatability report isn't bad. I don't have too many ideas, except maybe listing the player as incompatible

Using your player model and AVCHD in a search basically returns nothing, so I'll guess the player doesn't support that format. BDMV in the player thread also didn't return much either except a mention of incompability on dvd+r, so I'm not necessarily inclined to upload that Blu-ray format. BDAV is the only other format, and that doesn't work with menus. In short in regards to Blu-ray on DVD, someone would have to inform me what the player can do because I didn't see any reports of it being able to play anything.

The HD DVD also sounds like a player issue of some sort. The only thing I can think to suggest is to try maybe a -r if you're using +r DVD. I suppose it's possible that either Ulead or Samsung might eventually get things to work if one of the two is the cause of the HD DVD issue.
post #173 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well I had less success with the AVCHD disc. The Duo just says disc can't be read and spits it back out. I burned both discs using same media and ImgBurn. Any ideas?

Using DVD Decryptor both formats read perfectly with a +disk on the LG BH100 dual player.
Go figure ??
post #174 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM

I doubt it is a -R vs. +R issue since the HD-DVD reads fine. I will try to get some -R just in case and test it though. I totally forgot that AVCHD isn't required spec for Blu-Ray so that is likely the issue. If I make any progress with HD-DVD I will post. I would be curious to see if anyone has success with BH200 since internally the two players are very similar.
post #175 of 3971 Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt it is a -R vs. +R issue since the HD-DVD reads fine. I will try to get some -R just in case and test it though. I totally forgot that AVCHD isn't required spec for Blu-Ray so that is likely the issue. If I make any progress with HD-DVD I will post. I would be curious to see if anyone has success with BH200 since internally the two players are very similar.

You may want to try a different brand of media as well. Sometimes players are very picky...

Tom who?
post #176 of 3971 Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I have an A3 but since I would be burning the iso to a standard DVD is there any difference between the two isos? Do I just use the HD-DVD version anyway?
post #177 of 3971 Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

I have an A3 but since I would be burning the iso to a standard DVD is there any difference between the two isos? Do I just use the HD-DVD version anyway?

Both formats are intended to be burned to a single layer DVD+/-R. The HD DVD version plays in HD DVD players; the AVCHD version plays in Blu-ray players.

Tom who?
post #178 of 3971 Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

I have an A3 but since I would be burning the iso to a standard DVD is there any difference between the two isos?

These disks are HD formats. Even though they are put on DVD, the versions are entirely different. Just like how the disks will not play on DVD players, they will not work with incompatible players. The HD DVD will not even play on my XA2 if the Blu-ray version is included on the same disk.
post #179 of 3971 Old 12-28-2007, 06:10 PM

I just downloaded the AVCHD Beta 2 and tried to burn the ISO to DVD-R using NERO and Sonic but it looks the software wants a CD-R to burn the ISO not a DVD.

Is there something wrong I am doing?.
post #180 of 3971 Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek101 View Post

I just downloaded the AVCHD Beta 2 and tried to burn the ISO to DVD-R using NERO and Sonic but it looks the software wants a CD-R to burn the ISO not a DVD.

Is there something wrong I am doing?.

You may have to select DVD manually within in Nero, don't know about Sonic. If you have a lot of trouble with it download ImgBurn and use it instead (it is free).

Tom who?
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page