Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by roffe69 View Post

These patterns may be better for that purpose:
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/convergence

The patterns were previously suggested. We were unable to get a video encode that reproduced the intent of the original image. I'm not sure if it might be possible to reproduce the image with 4:2:0 video, or if the lossy encode makes it impossible to replicate, but our test encodes didn't look good and we scratched the idea of including those patterns. If anyone can provide a clean video encode we would look into the idea again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 4034 Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The quick answer is that I would just use a video pattern. There is a similar reply at [url]

I'm slowly learning about all this as I go along so I apologize if I say something stupid.

First things first, what do you recommend I pick for the HDMI color space and reference levels on my 360?

Thanks.
post #1773 of 4034 Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:

The patterns were previously suggested. We were unable to get a video encode that reproduced the intent of the original image. I'm not sure if it might be possible to reproduce the image with 4:2:0 video, or if the lossy encode makes it impossible to replicate, but our test encodes didn't look good and we scratched the idea of including those patterns. If anyone can provide a clean video encode we would look into the idea again.

OK. Thank you for the informative answer. My own capabilities for video encoding is vastly inferior to yours, so I am not able to help either.
post #1774 of 4034 Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:

It wouldn't work for all the discs, but using BD-J, you could display a PNG instead of using a video codec which should let this test work great.
post #1775 of 4034 Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello,

My first post here. I am going to buy X-rite Display LT and I need to buy a laptop just for calibration purpose. I don't really have any other use for a laptop. What is the basic PC requirement to run calibration software effectively? Don't want to spend a lot on a laptop.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #1776 of 4034 Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Hello,

My first post here. I am going to buy X-rite Display LT and I need to buy a laptop just for calibration purpose. I don't really have any other use for a laptop. What is the basic PC requirement to run calibration software effectively? Don't want to spend a lot on a laptop.

Do you have a desktop computer you can move close to the tv? You really don't need a laptop. ColorHCFR should run fine on most computers from the past 3 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1777 of 4034 Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

Do you have a desktop computer you can move close to the tv? You really don't need a laptop. ColorHCFR should run fine on most computers from the past 3 years.

I do have multiple computers, all upgraded in the past year. All are Dell workstations with Quad Xeon processors and 2 GB of memory. Moving them to the theater room requires a little bit of work. I guess I am being too lazy. Maybe I should do just that and save a few Benjamins.

post #1778 of 4034 Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

For what you spend on the laptop alone you could hire a pro with a better sensor...

-Greg
post #1779 of 4034 Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

For what you spend on the laptop alone you could hire a pro with a better sensor...

And hire a pro again when the bulb ages and again when I upgrade to another projector and again when ...

post #1780 of 4034 Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random123 View Post

what do you recommend I pick for the HDMI color space and reference levels on my 360?

Reference levels basically depends on the display. Standard should be typical video levels that most TVs are set to expect by default. Expanded is likely computer levels, which some TVs can be changed to display. Intermediate probably uses a non-standard range between black and white, probably more than standard but not the entire range like expanded, and I guess intermediate might be intended for a display set to typical video levels. While our general recommendation for video is to pass the entire video range (standard), I generally just use the system for games and don't watch video on my Xbox. My TV is set to expect computer levels, so I have my Xbox set to expanded.

I have the original version without HDMI, so I'm not sure what the color space control would do.

post #1781 of 4034 Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM

I have tried all files and they will not work in my Samsung BDP-3600 with Firmware 2.02

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #1782 of 4034 Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The BD-P3600 manual lists BD-RW, BD-R, and AVCHD so I'd be somewhat surprised if a firmware update would change playback for HDMV or AVCHD, but history for other players has shown it is possible. I did a quick search and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17122499 seems to be discussing firmware 2.02 and mentions AVCHD.

post #1783 of 4034 Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 AM

I am asking this question since I did not find any answer to it with a search in any discussion on this thread .

I do not have access to a DVD burner, anyone would be interested to sale me a copy of it and send it to me? I am interested in HDMV,Patches and HD Dvd version.

PLease PM me if you will

Thanks

Stephane
post #1784 of 4034 Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 AM

I calibrated my ps3 and now my panasonic bd60 with this dvd. In comparison to the calibration of my standart dvd (oppo 983h) I notice lighter blacks in blue ray. Brightness for blu ray is +7 and brightness for standart dvd is -6 on my optoma projector. Contrast behaves similar (BD -7 standart +6). The standart dvd calibration is Get Grey.
Any thoughts on this?
post #1785 of 4034 Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Normally it would be expected that SD and HD video grayscale would match. There can be exceptions, such as how my computer by default can deal with SD and HD video differently, but in general I don't expect brightness or contrast to change depending on the type of video. My question would be, what brightness and contrast settings do you get if you use Getgray on the PS3 or BD60? While contrast can be somewhat inexact if only using a basic pattern, commonly I would expect either this disc or Getgray to result in nearly identical brightness settings on the same standalone player.

post #1786 of 4034 Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Normally it would be expected that SD and HD video grayscale would match. There can be exceptions, such as how my computer by default can deal with SD and HD video differently, but in general I don't expect brightness or contrast to change depending on the type of video. My question would be, what brightness and contrast settings do you get if you use Getgray on the PS3 or BD60? While contrast can be somewhat inexact if only using a basic pattern, commonly I would expect either this disc or Getgray to result in nearly identical brightness settings on the same standalone player.

I did not make myself clear - sorry.
I compare getgray on the oppo and this dvd on the bd60 (both hdmi connected). What is in common is the projector and the screen.
post #1787 of 4034 Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I understood that was what you were doing. So that the pattern is the same on all devices, my comment was that I think you should at least try using Getgray on the BD60 or PS3 and see what setting you get for brightness and contrast.

The 1% bar on Getgray should generally match with either the 18 or 19 mark on this disc. If you can see 1% on Getgray then you should probably also see the corresponding flashing bar for this disc on the same player.

post #1788 of 4034 Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM

When using this disk I get colors that are slightly off, in an annoying way.

I'm using an Eye One which worked fantastically on my PC monitor with their software.

Any ideas?
post #1789 of 4034 Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really have no idea what colors off in an annoying way might mean. If you're using colorHCFR with the colorimeter then I'd suggest to zip the measurement file for others to look at and see what the device is reporting. While I can glance at your posting history to guess at the display and player, from a troubleshooting point of view there simply isn't enough information to really comment.

post #1790 of 4034 Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quick question.

Should the RGB low clipping patterns showing 16 and below 16 RGB, be calibrated in such a way that the RGB below 16 be black? At the moment, after calibration, the black level patterns 16 and below are black but the RGB seems to show information below 16.

Thanks
post #1791 of 4034 Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the RGB low pattern shows flashing at 16 or lower that might indicate that possibly you could lower black-level, but generally I'd suggest to stick to the Basic settings patterns for adjusting brightness.

post #1792 of 4034 Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If the RGB low pattern shows flashing at 16 or lower that might indicate that possibly you could lower black-level, but generally I'd suggest to stick to the Basic settings patterns for adjusting brightness.

Thanks. I tried a quick check by adjusting the brightness on the BD player to see if I could get it to go away but could not even at extreme low brightness. On the basic patterns, using standard settings, 16 and below did not flash, however the RGB low patterns were flashing all the way down to 9 or so.
post #1793 of 4034 Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I understood that was what you were doing. So that the pattern is the same on all devices, my comment was that I think you should at least try using Getgray on the BD60 or PS3 and see what setting you get for brightness and contrast.

The 1% bar on Getgray should generally match with either the 18 or 19 mark on this disc. If you can see 1% on Getgray then you should probably also see the corresponding flashing bar for this disc on the same player.

thanks - will try that and report back
post #1794 of 4034 Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 PM

I recently tested the Basic Settings and Misc Patterns files on the PS3 for the Panasonic V10-50inch. Major improvements in the Reds. Before I ran the "Basic Settings" MP4. My reds were a little to "Bloomie" Now they're nice and solid. Same with all the colors. Things do seem a little "dim" but not bad(Only mess with the vid for like 30 mins)But, when I have time later on the night I'm sure I'll improve in alot of areas with the "Pro Settings" and "Custom Settings" in the V10. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project.

"You may know all them styles, brother...But.....can you groove?"
post #1795 of 4034 Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 AM

I tried yesterday to set my black level with the avs hd 709 test pattern.. I have a samsung PNB850. What I find strange is that whith this test pattern I ended up on brightness 55 (on 55, bar 17 to 25 flashes)..

When using DVE to set the brightness, I ended up on brightness 49 where the below black disapered and 2% black barly is there..

Why is there so incredable big difference? and wich of these test pattern can be most trusted.. Or am I just doing this soooo wrong (I dont think so)

Any help with this
post #1796 of 4034 Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Black is 16. DVE uses 2% as the next level brighter than black, which would be either 20 or 21. You should likely be able to see 21 flash with the setting you got from DVE.

EDIT: Here is a more involved response on the topic about brightness and comparison to the DVE pluge http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15579057

post #1797 of 4034 Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 AM

Hi all
I used these patterns to try to calibrate my LGPS3000 and when using the black clipping pattern i dont get level 17 to flash no matter how high i set the brightness. I only get from 19(or 20,cant remember as i'm at work at the moment) to flash. This is the same on the APL clipping pattern.
Is it because my Tv isn't that great(I'm aware its not high end) or am i missing something here?

Thanks

Gaz
post #1798 of 4034 Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The patterns for setting brightness are a bit easier to use if you can display below black. You don't list what source you are using to play the video, but most HD players should pass below black to the TV by default, except for computers or the PS3. The PS3 can be set to send the entire video to the TV, but by default it doesn't. Another possibility might be that the TV, or possibly a receiver, could be cutting off the signal below 19.

Even if your display is showing 17 and 18, it can be rather difficult to tell nearby levels apart. Generally I use a very dark room with the black clipping pattern, which makes near blacks a bit easier to pick out. Commercial disks don't show any levels lower than 19, so it's reasonable to just make sure that the brightness setting doesn't cause 19 to stop flashing.

post #1799 of 4034 Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:

The patterns for setting brightness are a bit easier to use if you can display below black. You don't list what source you are using to play the video, but most HD players should pass below black to the TV by default, except for computers or the PS3. The PS3 can be set to send the entire video to the TV, but by default it doesn't. Another possibility might be that the TV, or possibly a receiver, could be cutting off the signal below 19.

Even if your display is showing 17 and 18, it can be rather difficult to tell nearby levels apart. Generally I use a very dark room with the black clipping pattern, which makes near blacks a bit easier to pick out. Commercial disks don't show any levels lower than 19, so it's reasonable to just make sure that the brightness setting doesn't cause 19 to stop flashing.

Thanks mate,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that i'm using a LG BD360 blu-ray player (which is the same as the BD370) which then goes to my sony HTSF1300 amp by HDMI and then to my LGPS3000 by HDMI. I've tried connecting the blu ray player directly to my tv and missing out the amp but it makes no difference. I'm using the patched version of these patterns.

Thanks again

Gaz
post #1800 of 4034 Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 AM

One more thing(sorry for all the questions but i'm still learning here )
There are a lot of patterns here so my question is, which ones should i focus on to give me the best picture possible. Like I said my TV isn't the best in the world so its probably not woth me spending hours twaeking at every pattern. Will the basic ones be enough or are there any in the misc section that you would say are essential?

Thanks again

Gaz
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page