post #1831 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Well, i got the iso into nero and burned it. Took a little while and i watched the progress.
When finished it popped out of my laptop(DVD-RW) and I threw it in my Panny BD60.
BD60 says "Nothing Recorded" when I press play ??

Try http://www.imgburn.com/. People seem to have better luck with it for burning iso files.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Downloaded ImgBurn and not long later I have a working calibration disc loaded up in my BR and working!!

Thanks so much 'Alluringreality' and 'Wmcclain' !!!
post #1833 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the disc!! It's been amazing so far and the burning worked like a charm. I'm using the PATCHED disc on a DVD on my JVC XV BP1.

Question on making some of the finer color adjustments. I found pattern A6 to be very helpful for adjusting RGB-offset. Now I'm trying to adjust the RGB-Gain, and I'm wondering if I should I be using pattern A3 to adjust specific white balance settings, or if it wasn't intended for this? My reds on this pattern are all blending together from 232-235 when I have my R-gain set on the TV default of 25. To get the high reds to differentiate, I need to turn R-gain all the way down to 0. Seems like an extreme adjustment...do I not want to mess with this? Blues are also blending for the top 2-3 bars. Also, for pattern A7 I can pretty much see NO BARS at all for red and blue at my contrast level...they come out if I turn the contrast down a bit, but this is not the best contrast as calibrated according to whites. Green looks ok from 229-235. (Just to provide full info, WTWs are all getting clipped for me in basic pattern 3 regardless of the contrast setting. Not sure if it's the blu ray player JVC XV BP1 or TV Samsung LN46A650. But the contrast looks good otherwise in the patterns from deep black to bright white, and I'm not too concerned about the WTWs. I'm using YCbCr on the blu ray player, because it seems that is the way the movies are authored onto the discs anyway.).

So do I need a red filter or a meter or something to be even messing with these kinds of controls, or can I use these patterns and my eyes? My TV has a built in blue filter only.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :-)
post #1834 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Grayscale adjustments require a meter or at least an optical comparator. What you're doing is NOT correct. BTW, color filters are for setting color and tint only.
post #1835 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Grayscale adjustments require a meter or at least an optical comparator. What you're doing is NOT correct. BTW, color filters are for setting color and tint only.

OK, so for someone without a meter I guess the best thing to do it just leave specific white balance controls alone. Oh well.

I also had a question about gamma. Didn't see a gamma pattern on AVSHD, but I was calibrating gamma using an Avia DVD and my "Ratatouille" BD also has a test pattern. CNET's posted calibration settings for my TV had gamma set at +3, but when I do the "squint test" I'm getting -2. Any reason for the big difference? Should I be trusting my eyes on this one? I'm absolutely positive that -2 makes all of the grays blend best on the pattern. I guess it's a matter of preference, regarding having accurate reproduction vs. extra shadow detail?
post #1836 of 4081 Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmcfly View Post

I'm using the PATCHED disc on a DVD on my JVC XV BP1.

Thanks, I'll add it to the list. I didn't know JVC started making Blu-ray players.

Quote:

I found pattern A6 to be very helpful for adjusting RGB-offset.

Offsets are used to adjust the low portion of the grayscale. Generally the levels will clip slightly differently near black. Like commented above, the pattern isn't intended to adjust offsets.

Quote:

Now I'm trying to adjust the RGB-Gain, and I'm wondering if I should I be using pattern A3 to adjust specific white balance settings, or if it wasn't intended for this?

Gains are primarily used to adjust the top part of the grayscale, rather than colors.

Quote:

Also, for pattern A7 I can pretty much see NO BARS at all for red and blue at my contrast level...they come out if I turn the contrast down a bit

This is a valid test. If turning down contrast a bit allows the colors to show differences then it might be a reasonable change to make.

Quote:

WTWs are all getting clipped for me in basic pattern 3 regardless of the contrast setting. Not sure if it's the blu ray player JVC XV BP1 or TV Samsung LN46A650.

I've seen some Samsungs clip WTW in stores so that would be my guess, but someone familiar with the display would have better info on this.

Quote:

My TV has a built in blue filter only.

You can use that to set color and tint, but offsets and gains are grayscale controls that would require a gray reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmcfly View Post

I was calibrating gamma using an Avia DVD and my "Ratatouille" BD also has a test pattern.

I'm not a fan of the spot gamma image patterns. I think they're hard to use, and they don't describe the entire grayscale.

Quote:

I guess it's a matter of preference, regarding having accurate reproduction vs. extra shadow detail?

Generally gamma will primarily affect shadow detail. The gamma control will likely change how quickly the display comes out of black. The brightness control can also affect shadow detail, but like explained for the Basic Settings section my opinion is to use brightness to clip near black. Without a way to measure the display you're basically left with the options like:

1) See if other owners have measured different gamma settings on similar displays
2) Use the Cnet setting
3) Leave the control at the default setting
4) Use a pattern like Avia offers
post #1837 of 4081 Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi everyone I hope someone can help me, On A2-Grayscale steps should the 2 brighter than white bars be the same, blend together like the blacker than black do or should they also be distinguished from each other. This is on a Panasonic Plasma and when I blend the whiter than white together I get a contrast of 80 from a default setting of 50 is this okay? any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Bob
post #1838 of 4081 Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The above white on the grayscale bars will typically match the behavior of the 2nd & 3rd Basic Settings patterns. My opinion is that it's reasonable to clip above white, as long as doing so does not introduce other issues. Possible items such as color shift are mentioned in the description for the 3rd Basic Settings pattern. On my display another item is that gamma can change with very high contrast when clipping happens near white, and without a way to measure the screen you can watch to make sure that the bar below white does not start to blend with white as contrast is turned up. Above marmcfly mentioned that pattern A7 showed colors being clipped below 235 at very high contrast, which again might be something to check.
post #1839 of 4081 Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 PM

I liked the tools provided thanks!

But I have a problem setting geometry using the standard patterns. What seems to look good on a pattern ends up showing a distortion on the screen somewhere during a motion scene.

I'm sure it's my eyes that are the problem, but would it be possible to make a different pattern/s for geometry that might make it easier to spot problems? Something like a series of parallel lines that move left to right/right to left, and then a set that moves up/down? It just seems that it would work better.
post #1840 of 4081 Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 AM

Hi everyone!

First of all thanks to the creators of this project for the magnificent work. I've read most of the thread and I'm really impressed by the amount of work involved and the tremendous support to all users, novice and experts alike.

I've recently downloaded AVCHD v1.3b and burned using imgburn (not without problems due to crappy DVDs).

Using the basic patterns, I've managed to set the greyscale settings of my lcd as accurate as possible, tweaking contrast, brightness & sharpness. I do not have color filters or other advanced equipment yet, so I set color matching the recommended settings from reviews and seems Ok.

Nevertheless, I have a question regarding 'RGB Low Level' pattern. With the current Brightness setting, Grey clips with black at 16, but Green and Blue clip at 18 and Red at 22. Is this Ok although this apparently means I'm loosing details in low Reds?

It doesn't seem there is much I can do to make the three colors clip at the same level without affecting the whole picture quality.

Thanks in advance.
post #1841 of 4081 Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On my TV the grayscale and color appear to start near black at similar levels, but other people have not reported the same behavior for all displays. Generally I would say to stick with the Basic Settings patterns for setting brightness.
post #1842 of 4081 Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Guys, i just found this forum and i am little confused with the AVS disk. I burnt the iso file to the BR player and am trying to play. Its giving me instructions to adjust the black color where its flashing to some reference point. Should i adjust the service menu offsets or the picture setting on the menu. Is there a step by step guide ? Thanks a million.
post #1843 of 4081 Old 11-14-2009, 04:36 AM

I can't seem to download the HDDVD manual pdf. (I can download all of the others though). Is the link to the HDDVD manual corrupted somehow?

My Evil Plan to take over the Tri-State Area: The Subwoofinator-inator.
post #1844 of 4081 Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Guys, i just found this forum and i am little confused with the AVS disk.

Generally the Basic Settings and Misc Patterns section deal with user controls on the display. There are PDF files at the end of the first post for further information.
post #1845 of 4081 Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi2000 View Post

Is the link to the HDDVD manual corrupted somehow?

I was able to download it with Chrome.
post #1846 of 4081 Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM

I cannot get the HDDVD version of AVS HD709 to play on my player. I have a HD-A30 with the most recent firmware. It tells me that the "this disc is not DVD format. Cannot pay the disc." Any suggetions besides buy a blu ray? Thanks!
post #1847 of 4081 Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Would it be possible to get lower res mp4's that are compatible with the Apple TV? It only supports up to 1280x720 h.264, as far as I can tell.

Or, does someone have a way to convert them? Handbrake wouldn't work for me.
post #1848 of 4081 Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer22 View Post

Would it be possible to get lower res mp4's that are compatible with the Apple TV?

iTunes will do that for you. Naturally any resolution patterns are corrupted.
post #1849 of 4081 Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

iTunes will do that for you. Naturally any resolution patterns are corrupted.

bodosom- thanks for the reply. I did not know that, but I figured out how, and it couldn't be simpler.

Just select the video, then go to "Advanced", then "Create Apple TV Version"

Thanks again!

Edit: It looks like it created 1280x720 versions of the files, but they just result in a white screen. Not sure what is going on. I'm doing this on a WinXP PC, if that makes any difference.
post #1850 of 4081 Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrgy View Post

I cannot get the HDDVD version of AVS HD709 to play on my player.

There is an example of the process for windows under the downloads area. There are basically 3 places where errors could occur - download, decompression, or burn.

1) If I go to properties for the HD DVD .iso I get 2,606,170,112 bytes. For a quick check if the number of bytes matches then the download and decompression are probably good, but a more thorough check would be to see if md5 matches.

2) I'll assume that you're using software such as ImgBurn that will verify the burn matches the .iso file. A quick check for the burn beyond that would be to open the disc on your computer. I think the HD DVD might use UDF so it probably wouldn't open on windows XP (or older), but otherwise the disc should show a couple folders after burning.
post #1851 of 4081 Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I was able to download it with Chrome.

I tried a day later to download the HD DVD .pdf and had no problems...

I played with the "basic settings" this morning and I like this MUCH better than the THX Optimizer... especially setting tint/color.

A hearty "thank you" to those who put this disc together!

My Evil Plan to take over the Tri-State Area: The Subwoofinator-inator.
post #1852 of 4081 Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello,

I have encountered a troubling problem when calibrating a new LED-backlit tv with both GetGray and the AVS HD 709 disc (using AVCHD on a Panasonic BD). After completing my calibration with AVS HD, I get results for my Color setting that say my 75% red-to-white Y ratio is near perfect: .213xxx. But then when I use GetGray and take readings with the exact same probe (a modified Chroma 5) on the exact same player with the exact same settings, I get a result of just below .20. Can anyone clue me in to what in the world is happening, here? I am at a loss. Is this resulting from a faulty conversion in the player, or something?? My BluRay player will not read the HCFR patterns disc, so I cannot compare its results to GetGray's to triangulate the problem. Has anyone else encountered this discrepancy? Can anyone help me figure out where the problem is and/or how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any hints or advice you have.

-Noob
post #1853 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone?

-Noob
post #1854 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have an issue, my LCD monitor is calibrated to the .mp4 17 reference black level in MPC-HC with DXVA decoding however when I watch HD .mkv movies there are no absolute blacks outside of credit screens.
post #1855 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob View Post

I have encountered a troubling problem when calibrating a new LED-backlit tv with both GetGray and the AVS HD 709 disc (using AVCHD on a Panasonic BD). After completing my calibration with AVS HD, I get results for my Color setting that say my 75% red-to-white Y ratio is near perfect: .213xxx. But then when I use GetGray and take readings with the exact same probe (a modified Chroma 5) on the exact same player with the exact same settings, I get a result of just below .20.

It's been some time since I've tried comparing sources, but I remember getting some difference in Y when I did compare SD and HD measurements on my electronics. There was also a reported difference with all HD sources and a Panasonic player that I replied to in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17167710 (PATCHED measured different from HDMV, even though video is identical). While differences in Y could indicate a decode problem, green was almost 29% different when I measured an intentional incorrect decode, some difference might be something to be expected from the same player with HD and SD material. Really the question here is generally asking if the measured difference is outside expectation and within perception, and generally at this time I can't give much of a reply beyond what is contained in the link.
post #1856 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

however when I watch HD .mkv movies there are no absolute blacks outside of credit screens.

When I played commercial DVDs or recorded HD on my computer I had no issue finding blacks in video. My main thought here is that we do not host .mkv files. The point is just that different computer video decoders can decode to different levels. For example I know on my computer that I have seen mpeg-2 and mp4 being decoded to different levels, and I've also seen HD and SD being decoded differently. While single commercial video player programs should avoid this possible issue, programs that allow a lot of user control could vary black output depending on the source.
post #1857 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

When I played commercial DVDs or recorded HD on my computer I had no issue finding blacks in video. My main thought here is that we do not host .mkv files. The point is just that different computer video decoders can decode to different levels. For example I know on my computer that I have seen mpeg-2 and mp4 being decoded to different levels, and I've also seen HD and SD being decoded differently. While single commercial video player programs should avoid this possible issue, programs that allow a lot of user control could vary black output depending on the source.

Both instances it is DXVA's H. 264 decoder so it shouldn't vary, you cannot adjust anything on the player picture wise when DXVA is decoding.
post #1858 of 4081 Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not familiar with the player or DXVA. If the decoder is the same and resolution is similar, and you're not finding black in a number of dark scenes, then I would next have to question how the video is going to the .mkv container.
post #1859 of 4081 Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 AM

cant wait to try out avshd,spent the better part of well over an hour downloading everything i needed( roxio) wouldnt burn for some reason,looks like a lot of reading to fully understand patterns & such"will have to substitute "coffee for beer" for that,but the disc came out fine,thanx to all who put this together,maybe one day i can actually sit down & enjoy a flick instead of constantly tweaking or reading up on forums to get the best out of my panny viera,will post after tweaking again.: jb
post #1860 of 4081 Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Does the flashing color bars pattern under basic settings use 75% or 100% color and if it uses 100% color is there a 75% alternative available on the AVS disc for setting color/tint with a blue-only mode/blue filter?
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page