Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post

A test with this file:

http://www.cypheros.de/files/Testbil...ting_120sec.ts

It shows me that the colors a flashing if the BT709 flag is set or not

So far I haven't been able to find any of my equipment reacting differently depending on flags. When I play the test clip the colors do not change, regardless of the text on-screen. If your player changes colors, then odds are it probably reacts differently depending on the video.

Quote:

I cant see this with the AVCHD test disk.

Really the patterns here regarding flags are more centered around taking measurements from the screen. With a player that reacts differently depending on video flags, the behavior would be easier to notice by eye with the linked test clip. If you measured the screen, the patterns here might correspond with the linked test clip. From the WDTV link it seems that you're not measuring the screen, so in that case the differences with the AVS HD 709 patterns would probably be difficult to differentiate.

Based on prior discussions in this thread, different commercial Blu-rays may be either flagged or unflagged. On a quick glance it appears makeMKV retains the original video without any transcoding. If a player reacts differently depending on the flags, then all I can really suggest is transcoding the video to set the flags. I'm not familiar with different ways to necessarily do that. With x264 we used the following settings:

--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4080 Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrylp View Post

I can confirm that the PATCHED version, burned to a DVD-R, will play on a Denon DVD-1800BDCI.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #1893 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

So far I haven't been able to find any of my equipment reacting differently depending on flags. When I play the test clip the colors do not change, regardless of the text on-screen. If your player changes colors, then odds are it probably reacts differently depending on the video.

Really the patterns here regarding flags are more centered around taking measurements from the screen. With a player that reacts differently depending on video flags, the behavior would be easier to notice by eye with the linked test clip. If you measured the screen, the patterns here might correspond with the linked test clip. From the WDTV link it seems that you're not measuring the screen, so in that case the differences with the AVS HD 709 patterns would probably be difficult to differentiate.

Based on prior discussions in this thread, different commercial Blu-rays may be either flagged or unflagged. On a quick glance it appears makeMKV retains the original video without any transcoding. If a player reacts differently depending on the flags, then all I can really suggest is transcoding the video to set the flags. I'm not familiar with different ways to necessarily do that. With x264 we used the following settings:

--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709

Thank you very much. It is not only that the color is changing it is also that this testfile cause the player to shift the HDMI colorspace from 16-235 to 0-255 because I see that white and black is also changing!!!?

Do you know a way how I can check the MKV's if the right flag is set for bt709?

I use a MAC where can I set this parameters: colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709?
post #1894 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post

Do you know a way how I can check the MKV's if the right flag is set for bt709?

As far as I could tell MakeMKV mentioned in the linked thread does not seem to alter the video. So with Blu-ray you have VC-1, AVC, or Mpeg-2 video. According to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731 Highlander is VC-1, so I suppose vc1_info mentioned in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16252844 might work for that title.

Quote:

I use a MAC where can I set this parameter

I'm not familiar with MAC, but the x264 encoder is listed as multi-platform.
post #1895 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just curious is this just as good as a commercial blue ray disk such as the BD calibration disk or better???

Ralph
post #1896 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Just curious is this just as good as a commercial blue ray disk such as the BD calibration disk or better???

Good in what respect? It is as accurate and has a large number of useful patterns.

It doesn't have tutorial material or on-disc help or an audio section.

-Bill
post #1897 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets put it this way, do you get better results then the DVE etc and without any colormeters?

Ralph
post #1898 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Lets put it this way, do you get better results then the DVE etc and without any colormeters?

No, despite the unfortunate usage of calibration to describe adjustment the AVS HD (and GetGray and THuffman's) disc is intended for calibration and requires a meter and software although there are patterns that can assist with adjusting by eye. The other discs vary a great deal in what they provide but none of them support calibration. They assist with adjustment.

A practiced individual with the right tools can make all the adjustments necessary to have a calibrated display using the AVS HD disc. That's not true of "DVE etc".
post #1899 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your info.

Ralph
post #1900 of 4080 Old 12-25-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

No, despite the unfortunate usage of calibration to describe adjustment the AVS HD (and GetGray and THuffman's) disc is intended for calibration and requires a meter and software although there are patterns that can assist with adjusting by eye. The other discs vary a great deal in what they provide but none of them support calibration. They assist with adjustment.

A practiced individual with the right tools can make all the adjustments necessary to have a calibrated display using the AVS HD disc. That's not true of "DVE etc".

You are "picking nits". Visual "adjustment", as you call it, is still "calibration", regardless of how fine a point you would like to put on it.

I refer you to a response that Chris Wiggles made, in another thread, regarding this very same argument: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...65&postcount=8. The key part is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Trying to draw an arbitrary line about how much someone has to be able to do and achieve before it's "calibration" whereas something less is just futzing around as an end-user is not encouraging or helpful to anybody. The more you can do, the better. But by far the biggest step you can take on your own is to spend $30-50 on a test disc, learn a little bit here about how to adjust basic settings, and align your display as best you can. Beyond that you need equipment, and progressively more expensive equipment and software depending on just how advanced you want to get and what the capabilities of your system are.

You are correct that the AVS HD709 is much better set up (compared to the DVE HD Basics disc) to work with measurement instrumentation for a more accurate "complete" (for lack of a better term) calibration.

wmcclain -- I hate to nit-pick, but the AVS HD 709 does have a set of instructions = AVCHD Patterns Manual (.pdf): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1248641020. It's just not on the disc. Using the disc for basic (visual) settings starts on page 9 (physical page 10, since the cover sheet is not numbered). You are right about the fact that the DVE HD Basics also includes an Audio set up section.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #1901 of 4080 Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

You are "picking nits". Visual "adjustment", as you call it, is still "calibration", regardless of how fine a point you would like to put on it.

I refer you to a response that Chris Wiggles made, in another thread, regarding this very same argument: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...65&postcount=8. The key part is: "Trying to draw an arbitrary line about how much someone has to be able to do and achieve before it's "calibration" whereas something less is just futzing around as an end-user is not encouraging or helpful to anybody"

Arbitrarily redefining words so their meaning is more to our liking isn't "helpful to anybody". The display device is an instrument. Calibration adjusts it to (or toward) a standard -- in the case of the AVS HD 709 disc the BT.709 standard.

I know everyone does it. And in doing so they diminish the expressive power of the language and reduce clarity. In that world I have to say "I'm going to use a meter and standard pattern set to adjust the display to BT.709" rather than saying "I'm going to do an HD calibration".
post #1902 of 4080 Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I not an encoding expert and I need really an unflagged mkv version of "75% COLOR – #11 &#22: ColorHCFR windows: primary and secondary" (00035.m2ts). Can somebody help me where I can find this? I try to convert but I think something went wrong.

Cheers
Shepardos
post #1903 of 4080 Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The program you're using for Blu-rays would probably work on the HDMV version. There isn't much difference with AVCHD, so that would probably work too. Anyway my point is that you don't mention what you're trying, so I'd suggest to start with the program you're using on Blu-rays.

Having said that though, there is one thing to generally consider. It is possible that the media player could deal with AVC, Mpeg-2, and VC-1 differently. So even if you get an mkv, you would just have an AVC example. Contrary to this comment... both your prior examples do seem in line with each other, even though they're apparently different video types.
post #1904 of 4080 Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM

No luck with patched or AVCHD on the Insignia NS-WBRDVD, burned to DVD.
post #1905 of 4080 Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM

I couldn't get this to work on my blu ray player either. What else can I do? I wouldn't mind purchasing a disc but do not know which one to purchase. Can anyone provide me a link? I merely want to just change the brightness, contrast, tint, and color levels...
post #1906 of 4080 Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireme View Post

I wouldn't mind purchasing a disc but do not know which one to purchase .... I merely want to just change the brightness, contrast, tint, and color levels...

Spears & Munsil.
post #1907 of 4080 Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Spears & Munsil.

Perfect! I suspect that they have step-by-step instructions? I wouldn't know anything unless directions came with it!
post #1908 of 4080 Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Perfect! I suspect that they have step-by-step instructions? I wouldn't know anything unless directions came with it!

Check out this review from Home theater Mag. http://www.hometheatermag.com/advice...sil/index.html

Bob.
post #1909 of 4080 Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Better than that they are writing how-to guides and posting them on their site.

So far they've done Contrast and Brightness (the two most important) and a short note on the color filter. There's also more information in the referenced thread (like when it's unwise to use the filter).
post #1910 of 4080 Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 AM

This was great to use!

I bought the Spears and Munsil disc based on recommendations from this forum and it was great in explaining what to do, especially the Pluge Low/High tests help me understand a lot.

But really, that disc can only help with contrast, brightness, and sharpness.

There were no tests I could find to help with tint/color though it did come with lenses (my new Samsung has Blue color only setting so no need for the lenses).

This was great because it confirmed I had my color setting exactly where it needed to be (I must have good eyes and some luck) and I needed to change the 50/50 tint setting 1 click towards red (or was it green? :P), otherwise things were right on.

This Samsung only has an AC03 panel (according to some, not as good) but the factory settings were only a 1-4 clicks off on contrast, color, brightness, and tint. Not _that_ bad by some standards it seems.

I still notice some here refere to the DVE disc yet all the other reviews of it are that it's ancient in some ways still and not very helpfull.

Would there be any other color/tint tests on there that might help or between this and the Spears and Munsil disc, I'm good to go?

(minus of course hardware calibration)
post #1911 of 4080 Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 245
What I'd really like to see added to this great disc is a moving resolution pattern. I have a brief Snell and Wilcox basic pattern in SD from the Digital Video Essentials DVD but I want an HD version [for free ] like used by that reviewer HD Guru Gary Merson uses called FPD Benchmark Software for the Professional called a moving "monoscope" pattern.

Alluringreality? Anyone?

I guess it is a high quality and potentially moving version of this:

edit: image removed by some other party. See the image at the link instead.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1912 of 4080 Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Liked: 12
I'm trying to figure out the best method to display the display patterns on my LCD.

I use a stereo receiver to accept inputs from my laptop via HDMI, xbox 360 and a sony blu-ray player and it hooks up to my Samsung LCD to one HDMI input.

Would calibrating with my Eye One Display 2 give me identical results whether i play the calibration disc through my blu-ray player or my laptop?

Using only the one HDMI input on my LCD for multiple sources via my receiver, will my colors be "correct" for each toggled source? Will a movie playing from my blu-ray player look exactly the same as one played from my laptop, and one played from my xbox?
post #1913 of 4080 Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

The menu system is from Media Factory. There are some things I don't like about it, but I like that option better than the other choices available. So the menu I will say is beyond our control.

As for the full screen bars and ramps, one pattern for each, I think that is a reasonable request that shouldn't be too much work to add. We are going to probably give it a couple weeks before considering revising the disk, but I think that's doable. I figure having maybe twice the number of patterns that are in the Misc section right now is reasonable. So we will certainly take the suggestion into consideration.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would like to restate my request for a couple of geometry patterns. A grid that pans left and right for vertical geometry. And a grid that pans up and down for horizontal geometry. I think it would be a big help for getting geometry settings correct.
post #1914 of 4080 Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi all. I am trying to understand the visual difference between judder and motion stutter. And how to tell the difference. Also I really want to know if my tv "really" handles 24p correctly.

I have a Panasonic P42G10E set, it supposedly handles 24p correct with the latest firmware, and a Panasonic BD60 blu-ray player. I am calibrating my TV set/blu-ray player with the calibration-discs (patched one) found here.

When I first bought this set I did alot of research and one of the reviews that contributed to me getting it was the review done by avforums. In the review it states it handles 24p correctly and without judder - quote "This is not going to be a very long summary, because I couldn't find anything to complain about here. The TV reproduced 1080p content from Blu-ray at 24p without judder." unquote.

Anyways, when I run the test in section "Misc patterns - Section F - Progressive motion 24p" I get what I think is judder, to me it looks like the white moving square is "stuttering" forward in a jerky motion, not "floating" in an even motion. Is this judder or motion stutter due to low frame-rate? Is it normal behavior with native 24p material? I do see the same effect in various degrees watching blu-ray movies.

Edit. 24p is enabled in the blu-ray player.
post #1915 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I want an HD version [for free ] like used by that reviewer HD Guru Gary Merson uses

When I looked I couldn't find a whole lot of information about the pattern to determine if it would be practical to try to create something similar. From what I could find I think the pattern is interlaced, which isn't necessarily in line with my own interest primarily in movies. Basically I wrote it off more in the line of hardware comparision, like for example the HQV discs, rather than calibration.
post #1916 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheBlue View Post

Would calibrating with my Eye One Display 2 give me identical results whether i play the calibration disc through my blu-ray player or my laptop?

Best way to answer this is to test it. My TV generally measures the same, but it's not at all a given that the two will necessarily match.
post #1917 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuvial View Post

I would like to restate my request for a couple of geometry patterns. A grid that pans left and right for vertical geometry. And a grid that pans up and down for horizontal geometry. I think it would be a big help for getting geometry settings correct.

The video in the project is created from images. The most surefire way to have such a thing would be to offer to work on the images to create the video. I can author a clip quick enough, so a video clip or two could be a quick turnaround. There might even be programs that can animate images, but I haven't looked much into it to see if that's the case or not.

Currently the ideas list is at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17167975 From my own perspective I like the idea of including a ChromaPure series patterns and maybe changing the APL pattern to flash black and white. Anyway, content contribution to the project would probably be the most likely way to see new content or changes.
post #1918 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixPix View Post

Anyways, when I run the test in section "Misc patterns - Section F - Progressive motion 24p" I get what I think is judder, to me it looks like the white moving square is "stuttering" forward in a jerky motion, not "floating" in an even motion. Is this judder or motion stutter due to low frame-rate? Is it normal behavior with native 24p material? I do see the same effect in various degrees watching blu-ray movies.

The pattern is from Ron at w6rz. He states that the bar moves an even number of pixels for each frame. I think it may be 8 pixels, but I don't want to do the forum search right now. So if the display produces that then there is no judder in the context that I would use the term. My display is supposed to be judder-free and I tried to feed it 24p and 60fps and I couldn't tell the difference, so based on that all I could conclude is that I must not find judder any more annoying than slow frame rate.
post #1919 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just want to say thanks to those involved in the project!

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #1920 of 4080 Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

The video in the project is created from images. The most surefire way to have such a thing would be to offer to work on the images to create the video. I can author a clip quick enough, so a video clip or two could be a quick turnaround. There might even be programs that can animate images, but I haven't looked much into it to see if that's the case or not.

Currently the ideas list is at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17167975 From my own perspective I like the idea of including a ChromaPure series patterns and maybe changing the APL pattern to flash black and white. Anyway, content contribution to the project would probably be the most likely way to see new content or changes.

Then I guess I'm requesting someone with the ability to create such a clip. I have no such ability.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page