AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3984 Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do these compare to the DVD's for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This disc has no audio patterns for setting up surround sound but other than that it has everything you need for a video calibration.
post #183 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDarkOne View Post

How do these compare to the DVD's for sale?

I'm assuming you want a comparison between SD Avia and DVE. HD DVE is available, but I can't make a comparison to it because I don't own it.

1) These disks are HD formats, and won't play in a regular DVD player like Avia or DVE.

2) There are no tutorials on AVS HD, where Avia and DVE contain a wealth of information about TV's in general, as well as how to use the test patterns.

3) AVS HD is geared toward the more experienced user, as it contains only test patterns and you must know how to use them with no explanation on the disc. There is a basic patterns section that is pretty easy to use without instrumentation, you just need to do some reading in the first post of this thread.

4) AVS HD is encoded with Rec. 709 matrix, as the name suggests, which is suitable for HD.

5) There are some patterns on AVS HD that aren't on Avia/DVE, and vice versa. Most notably, AVS HD has no calibration tests for audio.

That is about all I can think of. Of course, AVS HD is free, so it doesn't hurt to download it and try it out

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #184 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek101 View Post

I just downloaded the AVCHD Beta 2 and tried to burn the ISO to DVD-R using NERO and Sonic but it looks the software wants a CD-R to burn the ISO not a DVD.

Is there something wrong I am doing?.

There must be...but I can't imagine what it is. All I can think of is to check Nero and make sure you have selected DVD (and not CD) as your media type.

Good luck.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #185 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 AM
ovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I downloaded the HD-DVD version to try on the new Samsung BD-UP5000. The menu loads up fine but then I can't seem to navigate well.
1. I can move cursor to the right to down arrow, I can then hit the arrow to move the list. Once the list moves I can do nothing but move the list back up.

2. I can move to the second selection on the list but no farther down.

3. I can select either the top or second option and see the expanded rows but then I can't seem to do anything farther.

I can't seem to get the disc to actually play at all. I am sure this is a incomplete HDi in the player but I wanted to let you know. If I am doing something wrong let me know and I will try another way.

I just downloaded the AVC version and will try it and report back. One side question is in theory both discs should have the same ouptut correct on this player?

I had the same problem, same player.
post #186 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovo View Post

I had the same problem, same player.

With both versions?

Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #187 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

There must be...but I can't imagine what it is. All I can think of is to check Nero and make sure you have selected DVD (and not CD) as your media type.

Good luck.

My 2 cents worth , based on recent experience , check your DVD Drive . On my brand new Dell they shipped it with a DVD-Rom Drive . None of my burning programs would do a DVD . Gave the P/N back to Dell who confirmed that it will only read , not burn , DVD's .

They are sending me an exchange drive as we speak

Scott.................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #188 of 3984 Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
ovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

With both versions?

HD version. Haven't tried other.
post #189 of 3984 Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

It had to happen sooner or later, so 2000+ downloads for the first incompatability report isn't bad. I don't have too many ideas, except maybe listing the player as incompatible

Using your player model and AVCHD in a search basically returns nothing, so I'll guess the player doesn't support that format. BDMV in the player thread also didn't return much either except a mention of incompability on dvd+r, so I'm not necessarily inclined to upload that Blu-ray format. BDAV is the only other format, and that doesn't work with menus. In short in regards to Blu-ray on DVD, someone would have to inform me what the player can do because I didn't see any reports of it being able to play anything.

The HD DVD also sounds like a player issue of some sort. The only thing I can think to suggest is to try maybe a -r if you're using +r DVD. I suppose it's possible that either Ulead or Samsung might eventually get things to work if one of the two is the cause of the HD DVD issue.

Originally Posted by vdiesel
the blue ray version seems to think it's an iso image for a CD, but i see that it's supposed to be a DVD, but nero won't recognize the iso as one for a dvd. seems like there's a compatibility issue? i'm using nero 6.6. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

I had the same symptoms with Roxio V9 under Vista Ultimate. I ended up burning a DVD-R with Ashampoo (although it took a good 7 minutes to complete the write out track.

I downloaded the HD-DVD version to try on the new Samsung BD-UP5000. The menu loads up fine but then I can't seem to navigate well.
1. I can move cursor to the right to down arrow, I can then hit the arrow to move the list. Once the list moves I can do nothing but move the list back up.

2. I can move to the second selection on the list but no farther down.

3. I can select either the top or second option and see the expanded rows but then I can't seem to do anything farther.

I can't seem to get the disc to actually play at all. I am sure this is a incomplete HDi in the player but I wanted to let you know. If I am doing something wrong let me know and I will try another way.

I just downloaded the AVC version and will try it and report back. One side question is in theory both discs should have the same ouptut correct on this player?

I had a similar experience using a Toshiba DVD/HD SD-H802A (HD-DVD ROM). I burned it to a DVD-R with a PHILIPS-LITE-ON DH16A1L. The DVD wasn't recognized by the Toshiba HD-DVD ROM drive. When inserted in the PHILIPS-LITE-ON RW DVD drive it would load the HD-DVD player application menu and display the DVD menu but I could get no further...
post #190 of 3984 Old 12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for making this available. I've calibrated without meters with GetGray and I've always wanted to see what my TV can do under 1080p tests.

To those making an AVCHD disk with Nero: if you just click on the .iso file, Nero tries to have you burn a CD. Instead, I opened Nero Burning Rom first, selected DVD, then .iso and then opened the AVCHD .iso file from within Nero. Burned perfectly the first time and ran successfully on my PS3.
post #191 of 3984 Old 12-31-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

Thanks for making this available. I've calibrated without meters with GetGray and I've always wanted to see what my TV can do under 1080p tests.

To those making an AVCHD disk with Nero: if you just click on the .iso file, Nero tries to have you burn a CD. Instead, I opened Nero Burning Rom first, selected DVD, then .iso and then opened the AVCHD .iso file from within Nero. Burned perfectly the first time and ran successfully on my PS3.

Good info, thanks!

Tom who?
post #192 of 3984 Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a similar experience using a Toshiba DVD/HD SD-H802A (HD-DVD ROM). I burned it to a DVD-R with a PHILIPS-LITE-ON DH16A1L. The DVD wasn't recognized by the Toshiba HD-DVD ROM drive. When inserted in the PHILIPS-LITE-ON RW DVD drive it would load the HD-DVD player application menu and display the DVD menu but I could get no further...

That one is a bit unexpected. All of the Toshiba stand alones seem to work with the HD DVD version...

Is that a laptop drive?

Tom who?
post #193 of 3984 Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahbonzai View Post

I really didn't want to address computer playback. The drive is probably irrelevant. What's going to matter is your playback and video card software. If you just want the patterns, you could probably use the m2ts files from the AVCHD version. Are you trying to use PowerDVD Ultra, or something else? I know Nero will play the m2ts files (with some deinterlacing problems), but I really havn't tried to calibrate my computer I use from ATSC playback. Computer calibration is just rather involved and there are a lot of variables.
post #194 of 3984 Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

I did that and my PS3 keeps reading this dvd for 5 minutes without result (the busy icon in top right corner shows activity).

I'm using Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D to burn on Maxell DVD-R 8x, Nero ver. 7.5.9.0
PS3 is 80G version with latests firmware.

Will try other programs to burn as well and update.
post #195 of 3984 Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I used Imgburn and DVD-R, and the resulting disk played back just fine on my PS3.
post #196 of 3984 Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I just successfully calibrated a PS3 using the AVCHD disc which I burned to a DVD+R using Imgburn.

On a somewhat related note, after using the AVCHD disc for the PS3 for BluRay playback I popped in my GetGray disc and measured exactly the same results for the corresponding patterns.

In other words, it appears that the PS3 does the appropriate colour space twisting for SD media when played back on an HD display. This was using an HDMI connection to the HDTV, a Samsung plasma.
post #197 of 3984 Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Yesterday I used the HD-DVD version on my XBox 360 HD-DVD player. I used ImgBurn on a DVD-R.

It came out great and was really easy to use. The test patterns on it felt very exact. I had used DVE previously, so I had the color filters. Today, I received Avia II in the mail from Netflix and I felt like it didn't compare to AVS HD as far as ease and accuracy on an LCD.

Though, there are a few things missing on the disc compared to others, I feel that it came out much better than any previous home calibration I've done. Thanks a lot for the work put into this project.
post #198 of 3984 Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBeauX9 View Post

Though, there are a few things missing on the disc compared to others

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...0#post12483970 are the patterns that could be expected to be added to the next revision. Besides audio-type patterns, is there anything not listed that you would find helpful? The disk layout is mostly just from my own experience using different calibration sources, so any input in this area is welcome.

As an aside, am I correct to assume that ANSI contrast should use 16 and 235 (not 1 and 254)? I think that the contrast measurement from HCFR asks for max white and min black. If I was to put the contrast patterns together, either in Misc Patterns or as a section, would those contrast items be 16 and 235 or 1 and 254? Also, in general would it make sense to use a window for the white in HCFR's contrast section? (I think their pattern generator uses a field)
post #199 of 3984 Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

I'm getting an unreadable disk error on the Xbox 360 HD-Dvd player.

Burning with:
Imac Intel Core 2 Duo
Leopard
Memorex DVD+R Disk
Using both Roxio Toast and Disk Utility to burn the iso
post #200 of 3984 Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Xbox 360 add-on has been reported to work with the disk, so probably the first step to troubleshoot it might be to use a different disk type or brand. I'm not sure if the drive has any internet updates, but again that's probably something I would check to make sure was up-to-date. I suppose if it still didn't work, then the only thing else I could think to try would be to burn on a different computer or to go with a slow burn. I know this sort of answer isn't very precise, but it's the sort of things I might try considering the player has been reported to work.
post #201 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...0#post12483970 are the patterns that could be expected to be added to the next revision. Besides audio-type patterns, is there anything not listed that you would find helpful? The disk layout is mostly just from my own experience using different calibration sources, so any input in this area is welcome.

I saw that linked section before, and they cover pretty much everything that could be helpful on future updates. When I was playing around with the Avia II disc, they had a test pattern to eliminate red push, which was interesting.

However, as I said earlier, I had a lot of success with the disc and the test patterns worked great overall. Whatever I couldn't do (namely sharpness and overscan), I use DVE to fix up. I'm 100% satisfied with the results from the AVS HD disc.
post #202 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 AM

For what its worth, I successfully burned the AVCHD image to a DVD-R on my OS X 10.5 Mac. Plays fine on my PS3 (well, except for the audio). Thanks for making this!

post #203 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ctane View Post

For what its worth, I successfully burned the AVCHD image to a DVD-R on my OS X 10.5 Mac. Plays fine on my PS3 (well, except for the audio). Thanks for making this!

The audio is just a dummy track that we have to use in order to make the AVCHD version compatible with the authoring software. There isn't really any audio.

Thanks for the compatibility report.

Tom who?
post #204 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM

...of this HD test disk the "10% Grey Scale" in the full field version.
The windowed version is not so good to use with HCFR-Spyder 2 express and a pj.

Thank u so much,
acta.
post #205 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Dumb question... When I burn the break-in file to a DVD-R disc, what should the format of my disc be? It's ISO now, like to know answer before I go home and try it out on my A2 or PS3.

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
post #206 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actarusfleed View Post

...of this HD test disk the "10% Grey Scale" in the full field version.

Thank u so much,
acta.

What is wrong with it?

Tom who?
post #207 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitran View Post

When I burn the break-in file to a DVD-R disc, what should the format of my disc be? It's ISO now, like to know answer before I go home and try it out on my A2 or PS3.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but you don't need to format the disk like some operating systems might need if you were copying files. Basically the iso contains everything necessary to burn the disk. The disk will be UDF 2.5, yet I don't think that you necessarily need to know that because the iso should take care of it. Imgburn is rather easy to use if you're on Windows http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12565286
post #208 of 3984 Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actarusfleed View Post

I'm not necessarily sure why there would be a reason to have fields, but I haven't messed with a projector. Could you explain this? We could probably add 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%, and 75% fields to the uniformity section, but I don't get why it would be useful.
post #209 of 3984 Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

What is wrong with it?

Some colorimeter (like my spider2express) have a low grade of sensibility at the lowest IRE.

This is a real trouble in some ambient and with some pj that produces a low level of luminance.

The full field help us to have more luninace on the screen and a major level of uniformity.
we know that the spyder 2 express has a 35 degrees cone of reading and when we put back the colorimeter (80cm. from the screen) we couldn't know exactly what it's reading if we have on the screen a windowed pattern ... balck area?...lighten area? ... a mix of both? ...?

With a full field pattern we have the certainty of much luminosity on the screen and a reading that contemplates ONLY the lighten portion of the pattern. The portion that it cares

acta.
P.S. The best choice is to include for all the patterns the full field version.
post #210 of 3984 Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 AM

I did sucessfully downloaded both versions and it did worked for HD-DVD and PS3. However, the author mentioned that these 2 versions were created mainly for 1080P projector. Can these versions be utilized for a 720P front projector. Many thanks for the works.

Lin

Sean
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page