AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 70 - AVS Forum
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last
Display Calibration > AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:50 PM 05-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love India View Post

Oh ok, so with DVE I will still need a colorimeter?

No.

Quote:

And are you talking about the .pdf's at the end of the first post?

Yes.

Quote:

If so I downloaded those and am still a bit confused. Where am I supposed to start?

It's a lot to explain.

Another good commercial disc is the Spears & Munsil. I like it better than the DVE disc, and it has on screen help and examples of what good and bad patterns look like for each screen.

-Bill

Love India's Avatar Love India 07:12 PM 05-25-2010
Wonderful. I think I will go with the DVE disc because I can find it at my local Best Buy. Plus it comes with blue filters! Thank you for your help.
carlitosway's Avatar carlitosway 06:11 PM 06-02-2010
hey guyes im new to this... i burned the AVCHD to a dvd, now what alse do i need to start?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 06:27 PM 06-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosway View Post

hey guyes im new to this... i burned the AVCHD to a dvd, now what alse do i need to start?

See the Patterns documentation attached to the first post in this thread.

-Bill
Fussy viewer's Avatar Fussy viewer 01:42 AM 06-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

You can burn the AVCHD or PATCHED versions to a DVD and they should play fine in most BluRay players. The result will be the same whether burned to BD or DVD.

I have an Oppo BDP-83 but no blu-ray burner. Burning the AVCHD iso file to a standard DVD doesn't work since it's a blu-ray, so how do I get it on a DVD? Or how can I get the full res blu-ray files on a flash drive?

Thanks.
Kilgore's Avatar Kilgore 04:32 AM 06-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy viewer View Post

I have an Oppo BDP-83 but no blu-ray burner. Burning the AVCHD iso file to a standard DVD doesn't work since it's a blu-ray, so how do I get it on a DVD? Or how can I get the full res blu-ray files on a flash drive?

Thanks.

Burning the AVCHD iso to standard DVD works perfectly fine. Thats the whole point of it. I've done it, so have loads of other people. You don't need a Blu-ray burner. If you have a Blu-ray burner, a separate download was provided.

Follow the instructions given in post#1 of this thread. Imgburn worked great for me.
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar Jeremy Anderson 09:07 AM 06-05-2010
Quote:

Thanks.

Using the PATCHED version on my BDP-83 with no problems, on a standard DVD.
Fussy viewer's Avatar Fussy viewer 10:03 AM 06-05-2010
I have carefully followed the steps to burn the file AVCHD-v1_3.iso onto a Verbatim DVD+R with Imgburn and also CDBurnerXP. They burn something onto the disc, but I end up with an unreadable disc, no video_ts or audio_ts folders.

What could be wrong?
Kilgore's Avatar Kilgore 12:53 PM 06-05-2010
Quote:

I have carefully followed the steps to burn the file AVCHD-v1_3.iso onto a Verbatim DVD+R with Imgburn and also CDBurnerXP. They burn something onto the disc, but I end up with an unreadable disc, no video_ts or audio_ts folders.

What could be wrong?

Try a DVD-R instead.
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 12:29 PM 06-06-2010
Quote:

If you have access to a computer with Vista or Windows 7 (not XP or older) you should be able to see the BDMV folder placed on the disc if you look at the disc in Windows Explorer. If you can see the BDMV folder in Windows Explorer (Vista or Windows 7) but the player will not read the disc, then like Kilgore commented it's possible the player has issue with the media. If Windows Explorer (Vista or Windows 7) does not show the BDMV folder then the issue is probably with the burning process.

Note: The .iso files are used to create a UDF 2.5 or 2.6 disc that Windows XP (or older) cannot read without additional software.
orangebeast's Avatar orangebeast 02:59 PM 06-06-2010
Great set up disk!
my TV's have never looked so good.
I used the AVCHD on my PS3 and calibrated my LG and Sharp. Very nice!

For those of you that are in need of filters, i found some on EBay check out item # 140411800030.
Fussy viewer's Avatar Fussy viewer 11:40 PM 06-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

If you have access to a computer with Vista or Windows 7 (not XP or older) you should be able to see the BDMV folder placed on the disc if you look at the disc in Windows Explorer. If you can see the BDMV folder in Windows Explorer (Vista or Windows 7) but the player will not read the disc, then like Kilgore commented it's possible the player has issue with the media. If Windows Explorer (Vista or Windows 7) does not show the BDMV folder then the issue is probably with the burning process.

Note: The .iso files are used to create a UDF 2.5 or 2.6 disc that Windows XP (or older) cannot read without additional software.

I tried the disc in the player and it worked. As you say, on the computer it would be unreadable with Win XP. The menu for the calman fields didn't display correctly though.
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 05:02 PM 06-07-2010
Quote:

The menu for the calman fields didn't display correctly though.

This is the only report of a menu issue on the current version. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16748783 explains how to check the AVCHD .iso for errors that could possibly result from the download or decompression.
serafko's Avatar serafko 05:06 AM 06-08-2010
I am trying to calibrate with CalMAN version 4 and found, that the new version is expecting diferent sequence of patterns, than the older version. Will the AVS HD 709 patterns be reorganized for new version of CalMAN?
_shakabra_'s Avatar _shakabra_ 05:27 PM 06-08-2010
Hi guyz I am having trouble trying to burn this, I have D/L'd the file like 5 times and when I open the zip there is nothing in there, any help would be great please and thanx !
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 05:44 PM 06-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko View Post

I am trying to calibrate with CalMAN version 4 and found, that the new version is expecting diferent sequence of patterns, than the older version. Will the AVS HD 709 patterns be reorganized for new version of CalMAN?

It is possible that the project here may go through one more revision. I am not familiar with the new version of Calman to know what it is expecting for patterns. All I know is that their website was still hosting the previous version the last time I looked.
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 06:00 PM 06-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _shakabra_ View Post

when I open the zip there is nothing in there

I don't know exactly what you mean. The available downloads are either executable (.exe) or 7-zip (.7z). The .exe can only be decompressed with Windows, and that is generally the easiest download to use if you have access to a Windows computer. For most people the .7z files require additional software to decompress, and you do not state what software you are using.

Basically the issue could be either on download or decompression. Without further information I have no guess at what is going on. To rule out issues with the download you could use a software program to calculate an md5 for the downloaded file. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16748783 generally explains how to use the free md5summer program with Windows to calculate an md5. The first post has a link to the md5 values for the different downloads. If the md5 value your computer calculates matches the md5 from the first post, then the download can be considered good and the issue would have to do with decompression.
_shakabra_'s Avatar _shakabra_ 07:24 PM 06-08-2010
I am running Vista, OK did the D/L again, did the .exe, when all was done was asked to run or cancel, clicked run and saved to folder on desktop, when done I go to folder to get ISO there is a file there it is a bitzipper file when I clik to open there is nothing there to extract, and thats where I am stuck, thanx
serafko's Avatar serafko 12:33 AM 06-09-2010
Forget my previous complaining about patterns an CalMAN 4. They are allready solving problem.

spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2081#p13206
by derekjsmith ยป Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Rolls-Royce wrote:
jebj wrote:
The miscellaneous settings tab includes the "auto advance" option but I can't find the "auto pattern sense" option on any of the settings tabs. It is also interesting to note that the sequences for both grayscale and gamut now begin with a 100% white reading. This means that we will likely require new sequences on the AVSHD DVDs to be able to use the auto features.

Or just manually do the 100% reading, move to the 0% point, and start the automated process. It's what I've done when using a disk that isn't set up to work with CalMAN's automation.

In pattern auto sense mode we start with 0% instead of 100%Derek the CalMAN Hardware interface and Colorspace Engine Guy
THX Certified Professional - Video Calibratorderekjsmith
Site Admin
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 07:16 AM 06-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _shakabra_ View Post

I go to folder to get ISO there is a file there it is a bitzipper file when I clik to open there is nothing there to extract

The bitzipper program might not be able to deal with the file. Step 4 in the first post describes what to do with the decompressed file. If you don't want to install Imgburn, I think the last Vista service pack added .iso burning by right clicking the file in Windows Explorer.
callie_sunrise's Avatar callie_sunrise 07:58 AM 06-11-2010
I'm having real problem using the iso file. I don't have access to Nero so tried using Free Easy Burner but that says it is not a valid iso file.

Any help would be appreciated,
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 01:22 PM 06-11-2010
I tried downloading this on 2 different computers using both the exe and 7z formats and they always compress fully.. In other words they don't just compress to an ISO they decompress to the folders that must be in that ISO.

It's really,... really, annoying. I guess I have to keep trying.

Still happening I get 2 folders... One says Certificate and the other BDMV or something like that. Wish I could find the dern ISO.

Edit - The AVDHD version unzipped as an ISO so all's ok now.
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 04:20 PM 06-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by callie_sunrise View Post

tried using Free Easy Burner but that says it is not a valid iso file.

I believe the last Vista service pack and Windows 7 support .iso burning from Windows Explorer without any additional software. Otherwise Imgburn is the recommended Windows software, and there is an example of how to use the program in the first post.
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 06:23 PM 06-11-2010
It's great.

I have DVE but I don't think I'll use it anymore for video adjustments. I really like the patterns and the way it's so easy to navigate.

It's just great.
Broncosojia's Avatar Broncosojia 07:17 PM 06-12-2010
I need help with something

Does the Basic settings work well enough?

I mean do I need to use the advanced settings?
callie_sunrise's Avatar callie_sunrise 05:43 AM 06-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I believe the last Vista service pack and Windows 7 support .iso burning from Windows Explorer without any additional software. Otherwise Imgburn is the recommended Windows software, and there is an example of how to use the program in the first post.

Excellent! Worked a treat using Windows 7.

Thanks,
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 08:24 AM 06-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosojia View Post

The basic settings are fantastic for setting black and white level and also for color and hue if you want to set those.

The advanced settings are for calibrating grey scale which is a different level completely. If you are happy with the results of the basic settings you can stop there.

-Brian
kjgarrison's Avatar kjgarrison 09:21 AM 06-13-2010
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

The basic settings are fantastic for setting black and white level and also for color and hue if you want to set those.

The advanced settings are for calibrating grey scale which is a different level completely. If you are happy with the results of the basic settings you can stop there.

-Brian

And of course you need a colorimeter of some sort to do anything with gray scale and the other "advanced" settings.
alluringreality's Avatar alluringreality 12:41 PM 06-13-2010
Quote:

The Misc Patterns basically allow you to check for different issues that wouldn't necessarily show up with the items in Basic Settings. The following are the first things that come to mind:

Color Clipping - If you're setting contrast high enough to be clipping gray near 235, rather than nearer 254, it would probably be a decent idea to check where the colors are clipping. The flashing pattern named something like RGB High Clipping can be used to check where the colors run out, similar to the Basic Settings patterns for contrast. If the colors are clipping below 235 then it would probably make sense to lower contrast.

Gamma - For new users this is probably easier to measure than to check by eye, but it is possible to do a simple gamma check with the bars pattern (color and grayscale). Begin with contrast set somewhat low, and begin turning up contrast. As white gets brighter the difference between adjacent bars should slightly increase. What you want to watch for is if the bar at white (235) begins to blend with the bar below white, or if the step up in brightness from one bar to the next drops, at high contrast settings. Displays that are able to clip near 235 will probably have more of a tendency for gamma to drop near white (bars near white begin to blend together) than displays that clip nearer 254.

Banding - The shadow of the snake in the lower picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization shows an extreme example of this possible effect. Some displays, possibly LCDs more than others, may tend toward banding at high contrast settings. You can use the grayscale ramp to look for banding. Begin with a low contrast setting, and begin turning up contrast. Watch for any tendency towards the effect shown in the link at higher contrast settings.

Scaling - The resolution patterns can be used to check if the display is receiving and displaying an unscaled 1080p signal.
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 01:12 PM 06-13-2010
Wouldn't clipping white above 235 be a good plan?

I can actual get bars to flash in the white pattern to 255 but I figured clipping above white would present the correct response.
Tags: Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop