post #2251 of 3986 Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Are you using full field patterns or windows? If you're using full field, I have no idea why any would be different. For windows, different window sizes/shapes, APL windows, etc could cause some differences.

OK - The S&M in some aspects appeared to give me a better PQ. But I was also ending up with Video aspects I didn't like. So Last Night, Reset both Expert 1 and 2. Calibrated Expert 2 with the Chroma5(Profiled with i1Pro), DPG-1200 Pattern Generator and the Calman 4. Did the Brightness, Contrast, Gamma Setting and Luminance, then Flatlined the Green to the 100 line, transfered the values to Expert 1, returned to Expert 2 and Finished up The Greyscale Red and Blue, Plus the Gamut. Transferred the Values to Expert 1. At this point the Calman 4 starting doing it's usual flip outs: won't give a finalized Luminance value (You can hear the Meter Clicking but no results showing on screen.) Tried finializing the Colour and Tint but Calman was pulling up the Wrong Patterns. (Happens periodically Despite Auto being changed to RGB on the DPG-1200). Will put the iScan Duo back in place tonight and finish up. Surprise ending - No Yellow Tinge after just a regular calibration!
Chroma5 - to initialize or not to initialize - Tested with No Initialization, 100 White, Meter On Screen and Finally, Initialized with Meter on 0% Black - the result On the Luminance Test - Very Little Difference! (This was a Test to find out who was right - My Instructor at the Spectracal Pro Seminar who said to not bother, Instructions that come with the Meter (0% Black) or someone, somewhere who said to just initialize on the screen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3986 Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off awesome job and thank you for the time and effort put into the disc. Everything looks even better than my tune.

Question though, how did you create the Patched version?
post #2253 of 3986 Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If I haven't done that, I will also like to thanks for the excellent disc. I get in here to late and got the DVEHD to begin... It is still a useful disc, but for calibrating grayscale/gamut with any of the calibration software, AVSHD is much better. Truely grateful for such creation.
post #2254 of 3986 Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemikex View Post

Question though, how did you create the Patched version?

The Patched version was created from the HDMV (Blu-ray). AVCHD-Patcher was used to add AVCHD extended information. multiAVCHD re-author can do something similar to what AVCHD-Patcher was used for.
post #2255 of 3986 Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The Patched version was created from the HDMV (Blu-ray). AVCHD-Patcher was used to add AVCHD extended information. multiAVCHD re-author can do something similar to what AVCHD-Patcher was used for.

The curiosity was spilling out of my ears, Thank you for your reply. Sounds interesting, will have to look into it.
post #2256 of 3986 Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 AM

to alluringreality, when playing the MP4 file via USB through PS3 I was getting whites clipped till i lowered contrast to about 20 by which i was barely able to get 230-234 flashing. I burned the Patched file in a DVD and played it on PS3. Now the results are different. i am now able to get the entire whites from 230 to 253 even when the contrast is at 80. both the times PS3 was kept at super white on..

great work anyway cheers...
post #2257 of 3986 Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't own a PS3, but it sounds like the PS3 may be changing levels between the two modes. Generally I would think that if the PS3 levels don't match then brightness might also not be the same. Anyway, I believe these are the settings that the PS3 has been reported to use for outputting typical video levels http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18106831
post #2258 of 3986 Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM

My experience with the disc has been kind of mixed, though it could just be the movies.

I tuned than watched Avatar on the PS3 and it looked absolutely amazing, than I moved to The Dark Knight - thought this looked too dark, so I popped that out and put in XXX(Movie with Vin Diesel you perverts) and that looked better but still dark in some spots.

Can anyone name some good eye-candy blu-rays besides animated movies such as WALL-E. Something with real people.
post #2259 of 3986 Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

My experience with the disc has been kind of mixed, though it could just be the movies.

I tuned than watched Avatar on the PS3 and it looked absolutely amazing, than I moved to The Dark Knight - thought this looked too dark, so I popped that out and put in XXX(Movie with Vin Diesel you perverts) and that looked better but still dark in some spots.

Can anyone name some good eye-candy blu-rays besides animated movies such as WALL-E. Something with real people.

See the upper tiers in the rankings thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

Tier 0 live action titles include BECOMING JANE, MAN ON FIRE, PIRATES OTC 2 & 3, HOT FUZZ, others.

-Bill
post #2260 of 3986 Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I moved to The Dark Knight - thought this looked too dark, so I popped that out and put in XXX(Movie with Vin Diesel you perverts) and that looked better but still dark in some spots.

1 -Less light in the room will tend to make near-black detail more noticeable.

2 - The writeup on the second Basic Settings pattern is intended to take room light more into account, compared to the first pattern which is primarily intended to maximize gamma (make black look black). Generally digital TVs tend toward having a low gamma so the first pattern is appropriate for many applications.

3 - Some displays have settings other than brightness that can alter near-black detail, or change gamma. Often TVs like mine only offer controls that do more harm than good and are better turned off.

4 - The "Grayscale Steps" or "Dynamic and Center" patterns are a way to try to see what is going on with gamma without measurements. Basically the idea is to check that the bars don't blend together. If the grayscale bars between black and white blend together that would indicate the picture is too dark.
post #2261 of 3986 Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 AM

I turned off ALL "image enhancers(things are junk-my opinion)" I the movie in the same environmental settings as the TV was tuned in. So I do not believe its due to lighting. I think it may be the seconds pattern. After configuring everything I went back through all steps and re-did pattern 1 to darker.
post #2262 of 3986 Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
did you calibrate using Power Factor Gamma or ITU EBU?

My experience (at least for HC Projectors) - it's better to use ITU EBU with Gamma 2.5, what's nearly complete identical with Power Factor Gamma 2.2; but the advantage of ITU EBU is a little bit more Y on 10 IRE.
Take a closer look at 10 IRE at the CalMAN's Gamma target curve, and you will see, Y there is a little bit higher, what gives you a little bit more "light" in darker scences (easy to see using a 10 IRE white test pattern, it's appearing a little bit brighter, if well calibrated)

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #2263 of 3986 Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Sounds like the things you are talking about are in the service menu since they are not in the basic video settings menu. I have only been in there briefly but do not know enough to start messing around with it.
post #2264 of 3986 Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM

yes brightness was also off. while calibrating via USB i was forced to turn the Black level high on the TV to get the bar no 17 to be visible. While calibrating using the disc no such thing was required.

I think it is better to do the calibration using the disk than USB atleast when using a PS3.
post #2265 of 3986 Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else not able to download the disc from the first page links? Looks like the hyperlinks are messed up for me.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #2266 of 3986 Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

Anyone else not able to download the disc from the first page links? Looks like the hyperlinks are messed up for me.

Can't download either.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #2267 of 3986 Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Yeah, the links to the calibration files are messed up. Everything else is fine, but those eight are in the format "http://%3Cb%3Emp4%20%28.exe%29%3C/b%3E".
post #2268 of 3986 Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was working on the next release and accidentally changed the first post. I changed it back to the old file I had saved and updated to the current links. There might be some items that are out of date, but at least the downloads will work.
post #2269 of 3986 Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
When can we expect the newest version to be available? Thanks to all those that have worked on this project.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #2270 of 3986 Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Currently the plan is to have everything finished before the end of next month. Most of the major planning items are out of the way, so based on the prior couple releases six weeks is probably realistic.
post #2271 of 3986 Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 187
what extras/changes will the next update have?
post #2272 of 3986 Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Primary Changes Planned:
- 5 Minute Chapters
- ChromaPure v2 Sections
- CalMAN v4 Changes (end of last page)
- APL measures on separate menus
- 720p HDTV Calibration video from HD Nation
- Some pattern changes
- MP4 version will use individual files for each pattern
- AVCHD and HDMV will share authoring (current versions authored differently)
post #2273 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi , are the test patterns 1080p 24? I just downloaded the newest version. Is there any reason to purchase the spears and muncil disc? Would it being on a bluray disc make calibrating more accurate?

Thanks,
Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #2274 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Hi , are the test patterns 1080p 24?

Yes.

Quote:

I just downloaded the newest version. Is there any reason to purchase the spears and muncil disc?

I use both. The S&M disc has on-screen help showing how the patterns should and should not look, which can be handy.

Quote:

Would it being on a bluray disc make calibrating more accurate?

No.

-Bill
post #2275 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I use both. The S&M disc has on-screen help showing how the patterns should and should not look, which can be handy.

No.

-Bill

Perfect!

thanks,
Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #2276 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Is there any reason to purchase the spears and muncil disc?

Yes there is. The two have completely different purposes. The AVS HD disc is for display calibration with a meter and appropriate software -- it's for things you can measure. There are various other patterns but those are secondary. The Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark disc is for visual assessment of performance of your display chain. The patterns are carefully designed to reveal flaws that you can see.
post #2277 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Here is an undocumented MP4 version with 7-zip compression. The patterns are split into individual 5 minute files, which should allow for skipping between patterns on players that can change video files. This is considered a preview of the version 2 release. The Misc Patterns may change, but generally the download should be similar to the final release. If you notice any errors, please report them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10355052/mp4-preview.7z

Download works perfect!

Now I need to burn the disc and see what the new Chromapure 2.0 and AVS disc can do via HDMI on the PS3!
post #2278 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes there is. The two have completely different purposes. The AVS HD disc is for display calibration with a meter and appropriate software -- it's for things you can measure. There are various other patterns but those are secondary. The Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark disc is for visual assessment of performance of your display chain. The patterns are carefully designed to reveal flaws that you can see.

So if one is adjusting their display using a meter and software, how would finding flaws that you can see above and beyond what is calibrated change things? What would you adjust differently?
post #2279 of 3986 Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post

What would you adjust differently?

See the pattern discriptions on the Spears & Munsil website. All the descriptions are useful but a post calibration assessment would start with sharpness.
post #2280 of 3986 Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So as a newbie without any experience who's just looking to improve my set's PQ- would you suggest AVS HD or Spear's and Munsil?
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page