post #2401 of 4034 Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

On a separate note, the convergence patterns under the misc. section don't work properly in terms of chapter skip (must hit skip many times before pattern changes or use fast forward for a long time) and there is a huge delay to go from the misc patterns sub menu to the first convergence pattern.

All these observations were on my PS3 with the AVCHD version and a Samsung CCFL-LCD.

The patterns use a different authoring type from the rest of the disc. Video doesn't work. Images are used for the authoring, and considering how small the .m2ts files are I think that's how they appear as a stream. One difference is that each pattern appears as an individual file. My players have an issue with the original authoring, so the chapters and popup was edited with BDedit so that they work correctly on my players. Does the popup work to switch chapters? There is another way to author the section as a slideshow, but that does not seem to support popup menus to work like the rest of the disc. Hopefully someone else will comment on this one. One problem is that the AVCHD I had considered would also involve BDedit changes. Right now the project is up in the air on where I want to go with the issues encountered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 4034 Old 11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The patterns use a different authoring type from the rest of the disc. Video doesn't work. Images are used for the authoring, and considering how small the .m2ts files are I think that's how they appear as a stream. One difference is that each pattern appears as an individual file. My players have an issue with the original authoring, so the chapters and popup was edited with BDedit so that they work correctly on my players. Does the popup work to switch chapters? There is another way to author the section as a slideshow, but that does not seem to support popup menus to work like the rest of the disc. Hopefully someone else will comment on this one. One problem is that the AVCHD I had considered would also involve BDedit changes. Right now the project is up in the air on where I want to go with the issues encountered.

I had no luck with the pop-up menu. I never could get it to work even with the 1.3b version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2403 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

More data/confirmation of previous, mostly.

Panasonic DMP BD-60 result:

AVCHD to DVD: No. Just ejects the disk without any explanation

HDMV to DVD: No. Says "incompatible disk"

Quote:

I saw a poster (catmother) list the BD-60 as a "success" earlier for HDMV burned to BR. Could be the media. Mine is Sony DVD-R

The post on players lists DVDM ?, but I don't see a download for DVDM.

The HDMV was burned to a Memorex BD-R with an LG BluRay burner and that does indeed play on my BD-60.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2404 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bummer just downloaded & burned AVCHD (.exe) version 1.3b only to find out version 2.0 hidden towards the end of the thread?
My 1.3b doesn't work on my htpc under tmt3, disc starts & stops continuously in an infinite loop without me seeing anything on the screen. I've tested in my blu-ray player and it works fine (after a very long startup time and lots of mechanical noises). Will version 2 work in my htpc?
Is this the best calibration disc available? I have dve hd version, avia dvd version plus several others but this looks better from my very short browse through the test patterns.
post #2405 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

Bummer just downloaded & burned AVCHD (.exe) version 1.3b only to find out version 2.0 hidden towards the end of the thread?

Yeah, the current layout lacks coherency. The Version 2 HDMV and MP4 have not had any reported issues, but my AVCHD plans for Version 2 didn't work out as intended. Right now the project does not have a clear direction to go, and generally the AVCHD is the version with the most interest since more people have DVD burners. I've been looking into AVCHD authoring again the past couple days, and a complete re-author looks like a lot of needless work after having spent a few months redeveloping the HDMV. Unfortunately the most logical way to solve the issue does not fit with the project's original intent.

Quote:

My 1.3b doesn't work on my htpc under tmt3, disc starts & stops continuously in an infinite loop without me seeing anything on the screen. I've tested in my blu-ray player and it works fine (after a very long startup time and lots of mechanical noises). Will version 2 work in my htpc?

Last time I looked at TotalMedia it seemed to be compatible with most anything. The notes on version 2 are more up to date. If you have a Blu-ray burner in the computer, the Version 2 HDMV is the recommended version. It can also be played using programs like Virtual CloneDrive.

post #2406 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMV to DVD: No. Says "incompatible disk"

The post on players lists DVDM ?, but I don't see a download for DVDM.

HDMV on DVD media is the listing for DVDM. Generally it's not very well supported by most players. The most compatible option is to burn HDMV to BD-RE or BD-R, but many more people have DVD burners than have Blu-ray burners.

post #2407 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
alluringreality thank you for your reply.
I do have a blu-ray writer and will be downloading the HDMV version as suggested. Personally I wouldn't go into all that trouble for an AVCHD version since blu-ray writers are dirt cheap now and many laptops already come with them as standard. I will try it out in tmt3 and let you know although it should work since everything I've thrown at it did with the exception of today's AVCHD disk.
Just one question though that's been bugging me. The reason I downloaded the AVCHD version vs. the HDMV one was that it was ~2gb extracted vs. the ~25gb. Is the content and image quality the same between both versions and if yes why the huge difference in size?

P.S. I have tried virtual clone drive loading the 1.3b iso and the results are the same as if using the optical disk.
post #2408 of 4034 Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I downloaded the AVCHD version vs. the HDMV one was that it was ~2gb extracted vs. the ~25gb. Is the content and image quality the same between both versions and if yes why the huge difference in size?

Since the project was intended to include versions that play from DVD media, everything was limited by that consideration. Having a limit on disc size helped keep the downloads under 500 MB. If we targeted Blu-ray size then higher bit-rate video could be used, and more disc space, but downloads might be unrealistic.

post #2409 of 4034 Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Since the project was intended to include versions that play from DVD media, everything was limited by that consideration.

I understand the constrains of a couple of years ago, as the consideration for the availability of burners and media, thus then was the best alternative. However, today there are very inexpensive BluRay burners, and media prices are well within reach for 25G media.

Quote:

Having a limit on disc size helped keep the downloads under 500 MB. If we targeted Blu-ray size then higher bit-rate video could be used, and more disc space, but downloads might be unrealistic.

Down load time related to size is no longer a big issue either. Now a days there are very few with a low rate (1.5MB/s) internet connection, and having to wait an hour or so for hi-bit rate video for those that are interested in such things is not unusual, thus having a disc that would take, even 2 to 3 hours to download at a higher bit rate will be desirable by many, heck I just downloaded a sucbasteve Demo Disc that is 41G and it took over 3 days to download, then another 40 min to unpacked and another hour to burn.

Nevertheless and regardless of which way you decide to go a big "Thank You" for letting the rest of us share in your project.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #2410 of 4034 Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

Alluringreality,

I did a test run with the HDMV-2a.EXE posted above burned to a regular DVD +R.

The Panasonic DMP-85K gave a "This disk is not compatible" error and would not load.

+1. Interestingly, the disc works perfectly on my Samsung BD-P2500, but 1080/24p playback does have to be turned off (same for standard DVDs).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #2411 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

alluringreality thank you for your reply.
I do have a blu-ray writer and will be downloading the HDMV version as suggested. Personally I wouldn't go into all that trouble for an AVCHD version since blu-ray writers are dirt cheap now and many laptops already come with them as standard. I will try it out in tmt3 and let you know although it should work since everything I've thrown at it did with the exception of today's AVCHD disk.
----- SNIP -----

I'm sorry, but I can't find a single BD writer, under $100 (and the good ones are over $200), at either common on-line vendors or at my local computer stores. Laptops, these days, come with BD players, but not BD writers.

However, dual layer, DVD writers are common place. I have 5 computers (3 laptops & 2 desktops), and all have DVD-DL writers and only my newest laptop has a BD player (DVD-DL writer).

alluringreality -- I do have a question. Is there a reason you haven't chosen to go with the AVCHD version with a Dual-Layer option? That would double the allowable disc size, up to 8.5GB file size. Also, DVD-DL burners are a lot more common than BD burners (as well as being lower cost).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #2412 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

alluringreality -- I went back to the previous page and read your post #2377. That answers my question, since you are concentrating on HDMV authoring. I guess I will have to invest in a BD writer for my new desktop PC build.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #2413 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Liked: 10
I seem to be completely unable to make this version work on my Mac. I have downloaded from both the main source and mirror and cannot uncompress the ISO. THe process either fails and produces nothing or gives and error message and produces an ISO that will not mount/burn. I have used both Stuffit and The Unarchiver (which is what I used on previous versions with no problems).

Is there any way to get just the ISO hosted for the HDMV version? I can't imagine that compression actually saves much space since a large portion of the ISO is video/images...
post #2414 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

alluringreality -- I went back to the previous page and read your post #2377. That answers my question, since you are concentrating on HDMV authoring. I guess I will have to invest in a BD writer for my new desktop PC build.

Getting close to $100 though.
Last week my local Fry's ad showed an LG 10x internal Blu-Ray writer for $120.

This model is in my main desktop and works well.
It is also a multi reader/writer and even reads and writes DVD RAM discs used by my old Panasonic recorder.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #2415 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSKA View Post

I seem to be completely unable to make this version work on my Mac. I have downloaded from both the main source and mirror and cannot uncompress the ISO. THe process either fails and produces nothing or gives and error message and produces an ISO that will not mount/burn. I have used both Stuffit and The Unarchiver (which is what I used on previous versions with no problems).

Try downloading the 7za Command Line version for the Mac. You can then go into the Unix Terminal utility and extract the file. Put 7za and the file you want to extract in your home directory. Start the Unix Terminal Utility. The extraction command is ./7za e AVCHD-2a.7z. Move the ISO to the disc utility and burn.
post #2416 of 4034 Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
AVCHD-2a.exe

Burned it to a Verbatim blank DVD used imgburn. The disc plays fine in my Pioneer BD-09. I use I1Pro and Calman 3.4 for my Pioneer 141. Ran a 11 point gray-scale, measurements where off comparing to DVE HD Basics and AVC HD for Blu Ray. The gray-scale came out all wrong using AVCHD-2a.

Note, the windows on the new AVCHD are smaller and because the strap on the I1Pro will not reach down all the way so I can center my I1Pro, but still the I1Pro lens does set about 2/3 from the bottom in the window.

[b]UPDATE[b]
Installed Calman 3.7, lowered my I1Pro, did a isf calibration, now all seems to work well with AVCHD-2a.
Ran a little test video from DVE and everything looked good.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #2417 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am using PS3 with avshd and have some issues with the msic patterns convergence section. I can't seem to get into it "easily"... I click it and nothing will happen on the screen for a long time (at least 1 to 2min), but then it will display. Same with all other patterns in that section....seems like it is taking way longer to load....Did anyone have this problem?
post #2418 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

I am using PS3 with avshd and have some issues with the msic patterns convergence section.

Did anyone have this problem?

Previously reported at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19426531 but the estimate for length of time suggests it could be related to the media. No one has commented on Blu-ray writable playback for the PS3.

post #2419 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Ran a 11 point gray-scale, measurements where off comparing to DVE HD Basics and AVC HD for Blu Ray. The gray-scale came out all wrong using AVCHD-2a.

I would really prefer to see measurements of some sort, because I don't know what all wrong means. To this point there have never been reports of inconsistent grayscale. The video has been checked with a reference decoder, and prior versions have been compared against the Digital Video Essentials BD on my electronics.

Quote:

Note, the windows on the new AVCHD are smaller

All the video has been recoded and chapter lengths have changed from the AVCHD in the first post, but otherwise the windows generally remain unchanged. The windows are the same size as the AVCHD in the first post.

Quote:

the strap on the I1Pro will not reach down all the way so I can center my I1Pro, but still the I1Pro lens does set about 2/3 from the bottom in the window.

For a plasma display the location shouldn't necessarily come into play, as long as the meter is flush to the screen and it remains in the same spot for all measurements. Plasma may vary depending on APL (which will not match DVE), and otherwise I have no idea to explain this report. Based on this and other reported issues, I will probably pull the patched HDMV (currently labeled AVCHD-2a).

post #2420 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
If none of this helps and you would like further feedback on playback problems, it would be worthwhile to list which version you downloaded, the software you are using for burning, and your HD player model.
I have a Toshiba DR430KU and copied the AVS HD-DVD (v1.3) file using ImgBurn to a DVD which has successfully been used by the DVD player before (JVC 4x DVD-R). The HD-DVD .iso file is not able to be read by the DVD player. All suggestions are welcome.
post #2421 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I give up . What happened to the v2 download link ? It's missing in the line where it was two days ago ?

Scott........

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #2422 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 198
scroll down a bit...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370

post #2423 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Post wasn't very clear , I meant the AVCHD V2a . Has this been pulled ?

Scott.....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #2424 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post

I have a Toshiba DR430KU

This appears to be a DVD player. DVD players are generally not expected to play any HD video. HD DVD was a different format that essentially died last year. It will eventually be removed from the first post to avoid any confusion.

post #2425 of 4034 Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

AVCHD V2a . Has this been pulled ?

Yes the patched HDMV that was labeled AVCHD-2a has been removed. There have been a number of unintended issues reported with the version, and I considered http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19445218 too serious for leaving the download links available.

post #2426 of 4034 Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

I would really prefer to see measurements of some sort, because I don't know what all wrong means. To this point there have never been reports of inconsistent grayscale. The video has been checked with a reference decoder, and prior versions have been compared against the Digital Video Essentials BD on my electronics.

All the video has been recoded and chapter lengths have changed from the AVCHD in the first post, but otherwise the windows generally remain unchanged. The windows are the same size as the AVCHD in the first post.

For a plasma display the location shouldn't necessarily come into play, as long as the meter is flush to the screen and it remains in the same spot for all measurements. Plasma may vary depending on APL (which will not match DVE), and otherwise I have no idea to explain this report. Based on this and other reported issues, I will probably pull the patched HDMV (currently labeled AVCHD-2a).

As I said in my update post all is working very well. Don't know why I had the problem with my I1Pro, but I did run the X-Rite tests, and updated Calman. Probably Calman 3.4 was causing the problem with the gray-scale.

Thank you for all your hard work, I do really like the new AVC-2a. Work flow is very nice, menu is eraser to navigate,
and from what I am seeing both gray and color patterns work very well.

Peter.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #2427 of 4034 Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes the patched HDMV that was labeled AVCHD-2a has been removed. There have been a number of unintended issues reported with the version, and I considered http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19445218 too serious for leaving the download links available.

I bought a BR burner and luckily got the HDMV version before you pulled it
Went thru the patterns that don't involve a meter last night and it seemed fine. Btw my player is one of the problem Panasonics. Planning to take measurements tonight

Not sure exactly what to look for to indicate problems
I did notice that the patterns for meters have the colors displayed around the periphery. Not sure when that changed from previous version.
post #2428 of 4034 Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

As I said in my update post all is working very well.

Thanks for the update. The AVCHD-2a download has been reposted. The current known issues for this download:

1 - Panasonics are unable to play it, due to how it was authored.
2 - PS3 has been reported to have issues with Misc. Patterns Section C, which may have to do with how it was authored.
3 - PS3 has again been reported as unable to view popup menus. I'm not aware of any AVCHD authoring software that offers popup menus, so popups may not actually be a part of AVCHD.
4 - On the CalMAN Windows menu, down from Meter Position incorrectly goes up.

Note: In any future updates (2b, 2c, etc.), the authoring used for AVCHD-2a will become a new "Patched" version. Basically any future "Patched" version will share authoring with the HDMV, but it will include the extended info that allows it to play from DVD media on some players. Problems 1-3 listed above will remain for any future "Patched" versions.

post #2429 of 4034 Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure exactly what to look for to indicate problems

No one has reported any problems with the HDMV-2a download. Yesterday I noticed that there is a minor mistake on the CalMAN Windows Menu, because down from Meter Position incorrectly goes up. This will be corrected on a future revision (2b, 2c, etc.). I would guess there are thousands of similar, alterable items in the current Blu-ray authoring, but I'm not aware of any other issues related to HDMV-2a.

post #2430 of 4034 Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one has reported any problems with the HDMV-2a download. Yesterday I noticed that there is a minor mistake on the CalMAN Windows Menu, because down from Meter Position incorrectly goes up. This will be corrected on a future revision (2b, 2c, etc.). I would guess there are thousands of similar, alterable items in the current Blu-ray authoring, but I'm not aware of any other issues related to HDMV-2a.

My bad. I was reading from a (not so) smartphone and missed what was pulled. Sorry for the inconvenience.

And thank you for all the work you put into this. FWIW, I think you should accept "Thank You" donations. I've asked in the past, and you've declined. Just saying ...
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page