AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 4027 Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
So if the previous Version 2 AVCHD disk works fine, there's no need to download this new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 4027 Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
So if the previous Version 2 AVCHD disk works fine, there's no need to download this new one?
Doesn't look like it.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #2493 of 4027 Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
They both use the same video encoding. The main difference is basically the menu system. Generally there is no reason to expect that results should differ if the prior PATCHED* version plays, but it is within the realm of possibility that there could be a player that might deal differently with various authoring. See Known Issue #2 from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370

* Prior AVCHD-2a used PATCHED authoring
post #2494 of 4027 Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Here is an alternate download site for the new AVCHD. If this works, it could be used instead of megaupload.

AVCHD (.exe) or AVCHD (.7z)
Iso MD5: 6414c7e25c8e0d4ba2ed1a0b61802f4c

Pass, you have to register to DL the files!

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #2495 of 4027 Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM

Liked: 10
I downloaded the new 2b version and have run into a couple of issues. I first DL'd the 7z version and it wouldn't open so I then grabbed the exe and it opened and burned just fine. I popped it into my DMP-BD85 and the menu did come up so I went to the HDNation clip and the audio is fine but the video stutters where it pauses about every second and then continues at the "right" spot. It's not a major issue as all the content is still understandable but did want to provide some feedback.
post #2496 of 4027 Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Alluringreality,

Glad to report that your newest version 2 disc that uses "true AVCHD authoring" works on my Panasonic DMP-BD85K. I really appreciate your time and effort. I now am not restricted to only using the PS3 when using the AVS disc.

I did notice one anomaly. This may be unique to my player. When playing back the HD Calibration Video the sound played without error, however there were momentary freezing of the video every few seconds.
post #2497 of 4027 Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

I did notice one anomaly. This may be unique to my player. When playing back the HD Calibration Video the sound played without error, however there were momentary freezing of the video every few seconds.

I just noticed that as well (post prior to yours). I also noticed that the patterns are playing at about 2X speed. It's not really an issue on most patterns due to the content (anything that blinks doesn't work as well) but it seems something still isn't quite right with regards to the Panny players.
post #2498 of 4027 Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris View Post

I just noticed that as well (post prior to yours). I also noticed that the patterns are playing at about 2X speed. It's not really an issue on most patterns due to the content (anything that blinks doesn't work as well) but it seems something still isn't quite right with regards to the Panny players.

I have not really done anything other than click through the menus to make sure everything displayed. It looks like the pause button will be your friend then...

Yes, the Panasonic seems a bit quirky on menus and loads, however it provides a noticeably better picture than I get on the PS3. I suppose there are trade-offs in everything.
post #2499 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Here is a test AVCHD with a different video encode to try on Panasonic Players. My players play this the same as the prior encode, but I couldn't find anything else that might apply to the prior couple reports.

http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8qNrNTg3MD

I just tried this and get a "Disk is incompatible" error on my DMP-BD85.
post #2500 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The authoring follows the same procedure as the prior AVCHD-2b. The only likely way to explain any error were the player doesn't go to the menu would be either a bad download or burn. I added the MD5 for the original and verified the download. See step 4 from the "EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS" in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370 for a way to generate an md5 for the disc and verify it matches the original.

The "Verify Disc" mode in ImgBurn can also be used to generate an MD5 for the disc, without requiring a re-burn. After choosing the mode you would have to check the settings shown in the link, select the source drive for the disc, choose the image file, and then have the program verify the disc. Device MD5 and Image MD5 in the ImgBurn Log should match the Iso MD5 shown above.
post #2501 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM

The burn was good as I always to a verify when burning an iso. The disk did work in my blu-ray reader on my PC and the video did play properly. I didn't check the same on the one the 2b version that stuttered. I can check some more when I get home later in the day.
post #2502 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I have access to a Blu-ray burner I decided to go and check Panasonic playback. All the display models were DMP-BDT350, so that's what I tested. The following were my results:

- HDMV played as expected
- Video-Test played as expected
- AVCHD-2b had issues where the video would break up every couple seconds

I would prefer if some Panasonic owners would verify if the AVCHD in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19490549 also works on their players, but the current plan is to do a new video encode for the AVCHD.
post #2503 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Since I have access to a Blu-ray burner I decided to go and check Panasonic playback. All the display models were DMP-BDT350, so that's what I tested. The following were my results:

- HDMV played as expected
- Video-Test played as expected
- AVCHD-2b had issues where the video would break up every couple seconds

I would prefer if some Panasonic owners would verify if the AVCHD in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19490549 also works on their players, but the current plan is to do a new video encode for the AVCHD.

When will the final version of the AVCHD be released? Which is the best currently existing version of the AVCHD for the PS3?
post #2504 of 4027 Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Here are the links to the full Photoshop PSDs. You need either Photoshop or Elements to open and/or edit.

Thanks, Photoshop I most certainly have.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #2505 of 4027 Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here are the links to the full Photoshop PSDs. You need either Photoshop or Elements to open and/or edit.

Now that I can read the text, the "widescreen presentation" text inclusion is funny.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #2506 of 4027 Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For those of us who use Adobe Illustrator to print labels onto DVD/Blu-ray media, I've reworked the supplied materials into an AI file (version 10 and later compatible).

The text is now type (not vectored) and the Blu-ray/Dolby Digital logos are vectored, so they are nice and sharp when printed.

The 1080 and AVSHD-709 artwork is from the cover PSD file, as they were larger, meaning they are scaled down for the media, resulting in a crisper image.

The zip file containing the directory of the pieces is available from my server. It is only 2,810,430 bytes.

The layout is for the Epson R1800, which uses A4 paper as the artboard. Placement of the layers will have to be changed for what your printer uses. Be sure and follow the simple instructions that are included on the artwork, otherwise you will not be happy with what is printed (ink where you don't want it ).

Thanks to superleo for the initial creation of the files.

I would like to know where the "Full HD 1080" logo came from, as I'd like to get as high a resolution version as possible. I like high resolution for some reason

Enjoy.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #2507 of 4027 Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I would like to know where the "Full HD 1080" logo came from, as I'd like to get as high a resolution version as possible.

Nevermind. Found the AI source and downloaded it.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #2508 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

For those of us who use Adobe Illustrator to print labels onto DVD/Blu-ray media...

I like high resolution for some reason

Enjoy.

I see you were on a mission to print a GOOD label and in the process you made it better.

Great job! I'm glad it was useful.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #2509 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After a few more days of looking into the AVCHD-2b issue, it seems the problem was most likely due to the software used for authoring the AVCHD. The discovered video issue would apply to both the AVCHD-2b and the v1.3 AVCHD, because they share the same authoring. I cannot say if the problem with the AVCHD authoring software might have been the cause of the small reported difference between the v1.3 AVCHD and the v1.3 patched version, but it is possible that a few unexplainable reports related to prior AVCHD authoring could have been due to the authoring software.

The future planned AVCHD-2c will use a different authoring procedure to correct the error from the authoring software. This project relies on tools from a number of different sources, and the most I can do is to try to trouble-shoot any reported issues to the best of my ability. While it is good to have a thorough plan going in, there are simply too many Blu-ray players on the market to test AVCHD playback myself. The future AVCHD-2c version will address all currently known issues that have been reported based on what I've picked up in the past three years. I believe the test file attached below should play from any AVCHD compatible Blu-ray player, based on my own testing and prior reported issues. I have not tested this extensively on Panasonic players, so it would help if Panasonic owners could test this latest authoring option on their players. I do understand that the top menu will return to the main menu instead of the submenu, and in AVCHD-2c the plan will be to allow chapter skipping to the end for returning to the submenu.

http://cxddlf.1fichier.com/en/AVCHD-Test.iso or http://www.wuala.com/alluringreality...AVCHD-Test.iso
Iso md5: 61cc770cc8a2b3540a6457c59784d55f
post #2510 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I see you were on a mission to print a GOOD label and in the process you made it better.

Great job! I'm glad it was useful.

Thanks. I've been creating media and case artwork for several years.

I've done a minor update to the cover as well. I discovered a spelling error It was within the HD Nation text area.

The cover, as a PNG image (3,582,722 bytes), is also available for download.

If anyone wants the PSD file, let me know.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #2511 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After a few more days of looking into the AVCHD-2b issue, it seems the problem was most likely due to the software used for authoring the AVCHD. The discovered video issue would apply to both the AVCHD-2b and the v1.3 AVCHD, because they share the same authoring. I cannot say if the problem with the AVCHD authoring software might have been the cause of the small reported difference between the v1.3 AVCHD and the v1.3 patched version, but it is possible that a few unexplainable reports related to prior AVCHD authoring could have been due to the authoring software.

The future planned AVCHD-2c will use a different authoring procedure to correct the error from the authoring software. This project relies on tools from a number of different sources, and the most I can do is to try to trouble-shoot any reported issues to the best of my ability. While it is good to have a thorough plan going in, there are simply too many Blu-ray players on the market to test AVCHD playback myself. The future AVCHD-2c version will address all currently known issues that have been reported based on what I've picked up in the past three years. I believe the test file attached below should play from any AVCHD compatible Blu-ray player, based on my own testing and prior reported issues. I have not tested this extensively on Panasonic players, so it would help if Panasonic owners could test this latest authoring option on their players. I do understand that the top menu will return to the main menu instead of the submenu, and in AVCHD-2c the plan will be to allow chapter skipping to the end for returning to the submenu.

http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8uptNzAzMW

Alluringreality,

I burned your test iso and checked it on my Panasonic BD-85. The portion of the video that you had seemed to play OK. The black bar test image on menu 2 did not launch. I am not sure if you meant for it to. The only way to return to menu 1 was to use the link at the bottom of the page. I hope this helps.

Michael

Edit: I re-checked and when I hit the "Top Menu" button it did return to Menu 1.
post #2512 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8uptNzAzMW

It plays on my Panny 65 but I'm not sure what to expect. Initially there is a screen with Menu 1 above and Menu 2 below. I could only select Menu 2 and when I did "Test" and "hdtv" choices appeared. The "Test" was the familiar test for white and black level. The "hdtv" was "HDNATION".

I think you've done it!

Jim
post #2513 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The black bar test image on menu 2 did not launch. I am not sure if you meant for it to.

The upload just includes a main menu, a submenu, and there are two video clips on the submenu. Aside from a bad download or burn I'm not coming up with any quick ideas on why one clip would play and the other wouldn't. They use a slightly different video encode, but based on my recent testing I don't think that's a very likely possible issue. If you use a computer operating system that is newer than Windows XP, is there a \\BDMV\\STREAM\\00003.m2ts file that is 13,762,560 bytes on the disc?
post #2514 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

It plays on my Panny 65 but I'm not sure what to expect.

What you describe is everything from the test. Thanks for the feedback.
post #2515 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The upload just includes a main menu, a submenu, and there are two video clips on the submenu. Aside from a bad download or burn I'm not coming up with any quick ideas on why one clip would play and the other wouldn't. They use a slightly different video encode, but based on my recent testing I don't think that's a very likely possible issue. If you use a computer operating system that is newer than Windows XP, is there a \\BDMV\\STREAM\\00003.m2ts file that is 13,762,560 bytes on the disc?

I use Vista on the computer that has the DVD burner. However I could find no way to view the files on the disc. I did verify that my PS3 exhibits the same behavior. It plays the video fine but will not play the Black Bar pattern. When selected the play indicator in the form of an arrow shows on the screen but it does not present the test pattern. I suppose it could be some type of a bad burn.

Dumb question here but did Jim actually click on the choices in menu 2 and watch the results? After reading the reply I was unsure if he just was reporting what he saw on menu 2 or if selected the icons to test the content.
post #2516 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did verify that my PS3 exhibits the same behavior.
This sounds suspicious because my Sony plays fine, and usually the PS3 has been reported to be rather forgiving as long as it has the AVCHD extended information. It's the second report I've had to question after uploading to ZumoDrive, so I made a file upload to another site.

Quote:
did Jim actually click on the choices in menu 2 and watch the results?
I figure yes, mainly because I doubt too many people would know that was a part of the HD Nation video otherwise.
post #2517 of 4027 Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Alluringreality,

I downloaded the iso test from the new link. After burning the disc I tested it in my Panasonic BD85. Everything worked this go around. Both clips on menu 2 played fine.

Michael
post #2518 of 4027 Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any reason to question the new AVCHD authoring procedure, so I'll probably start on a new version in the next few days. Based on how long the HDMV took, it could easily take a month or more to finish the project.
post #2519 of 4027 Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I don't have any reason to question the new AVCHD authoring procedure, so I'll probably start on a new version in the next few days. Based on how long the HDMV took, it could easily take a month or more to finish the project.
Is this new Version going to be Blu-Ray only? or maybe DVD-9?

Thanks again for all your efforts.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #2520 of 4027 Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
This sounds suspicious because my Sony plays fine, and usually the PS3 has been reported to be rather forgiving as long as it has the AVCHD extended information. It's the second report I've had to question after uploading to ZumoDrive, so I made a file upload to another site.

I figure yes, mainly because I doubt too many people would know that was a part of the HD Nation video otherwise.

Yes, I did watch the clips.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page