AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, thanks for this! I don't have a Blu-Ray drive and I planned to use my new TV as a HTPC anyway so this is perfect

One quick question:

Under "Adjust Video Color Settings" in nVidia control panel I have it set to "with the video player settings"
Then I'm using MPC-HC with Haali's renderer to view the MP4 Files (since this is what I use most for my HD content)
in Haali I have settings: Luma (16-235) YUV Colorspace (Bt.709) and I can get the black clipping test bars perfect for my LCD

On my CRT television I can only get 18-25 bars blinking no matter what I change (is this good enough?) If I change to 0-255 I can get 4-25 to blink on my CRT and I think I could adjust down from there. Should I keep it at 16-235 for my CRT or use 0-255 and adjust it?

And I have one other unrelated question (I know this topic is meant for LCD & such but I'm not sure where else to ask)
My CRT has bad over scan issues, I can go into the service menu and adjust it but the sides end up pretty distorted. So I stumbled upon an option in my nVidia's Control Panel called "Adjust desktop Size and Position" and I can use it to completely correct the overscan on my CRT. Should I use that nVidia option or use the service menu to adjust the overscan? I'm not sure if I'm losing pixels or resolution or anything weird like that with doing either of these so that's why I'm asking.

Edit// Hey, I just found out I can adjust image size & position in MPC-HC also, so I could adjust it to where it fits 1:1 on my screen in there and save it. (Argh I'm so confused on which option I should do)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 View Post

On my CRT television I can only get 18-25 bars blinking no matter what I change (is this good enough?)

Adjacent levels can be hard to tell apart, and being a CRT it may be even more difficult to see one level above black. Generally the patterns are not intended for CRT displays, but barely being able to see 19 flash on the APL Clipping pattern may be similar to using one of the commercial patterns (Digital Video Essentials, Avia, etc.) that were developed for CRT displays.

Quote:
Should I keep it at 16-235 for my CRT or use 0-255 and adjust it?

The ideal recommendation is to maintain the original video to the display, but there are practical considerations for computers that don't necessarily fit with that scenario.

Quote:
And I have one other unrelated question (I know this topic is meant for LCD & such but I'm not sure where else to ask)

There is an HTPC forum were people might comment on the effects of the settings. I don't use either Nvidia or the player.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 AM

I tried to play AVCHD DVD disk authored on two types of DVD format without any luck. Read error is generated on my Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Blu-ray Player with DVD+RW and DVD-R. Any suggestion what to use to play the calibration disk?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would expect the Panasonic to play the AVCHD from DVD+RW media, considering the two DMP-BDT models that I tested worked. There are basically three places where something could go wrong (download, decompression, or burn), but without any more information to go on, I'll have to figure the burning step would be the most likely issue. I would suggest following the instructions for step 4 from "EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS", and also set the "Write Speed" (right of the burn button) to about half of the maximum value before burning. The reason I suggest following those steps is because they will generate an MD5 for the disc, which should read "654920d1f3f1182423ecfbb75ff52263" for the current AVCHD.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 996
I have Memorex DVD +R discs and they play with no problem on Panasonics DMP-BDT350 and DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray players.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
anyone calibrated this on a win7 htpc?

what file did you download and what player did you use?

thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

thanks
Using a Sony laptop using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
Downloaded the .iso and it played straight away on my Oppo 80.

However if anyone has difficulty the usual way is to use something like isobuster to get the files from the .iso then add an empty folder called 'certificate' then burn like this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...urning_rom.cfm

Had some problems with last version and it worked for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Using a Sony laptop using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
Downloaded the .iso and it played straight away on my Oppo 80.

However if anyone has difficulty the usual way is to use something like isobuster to get the files from the .iso then add an empty folder called 'certificate' then burn like this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...urning_rom.cfm

Had some problems with last version and it worked for me.

thanks, but i meant calibrating on a PC, not a standalone player.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM

TMT 5.0.1.86 plays the HDMV version fine as long as you copy it to a directory. It completely choked on the ISO.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatnode View Post

TMT 5.0.1.86 plays the HDMV version fine as long as you copy it to a directory.

Looking at http://www.arcsoft.com/Forum/forum_p...-release-notes there doesn't seem to be a resolution listed, but I can confirm that the 5.0.1.80 trial was unable to play the HDMV from folders. I suppose it's possible that they fixed the playback issue. It looks like the trial has not been updated, so at this point I'll wait for more feedback before changing the first post.

Quote:

It completely choked on the ISO.

I'll take it this means that playback from a virtual disk didn't work. A virtual disk relies upon the software used. Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0 seems to format the HDMV correctly in testing, but other software may not.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Generally the idea is to use the same software that you would be using to watch video. For example I use Zoom Player for watching MP4 video, and the MP4 download can be used to check HD playback of MP4 video. I use PowerDVD as a secondary Blu-ray player, and either the HDMV or AVCHD can be used to check Blu-ray playback in PowerDVD.

Checking computer playback can be more difficult than checking playback from standalone players. In a standalone player you can generally assume that the manufacturer has been diligent enough to make sure that levels across different video types will match, but you cannot necessarily make this assumption with computers. Different software (decoders) or video drivers do not always match in how they play back video. For example items I've ran into include some ATI video drivers playing back HD and SD video using different levels, and at least one version of PowerDVD didn't match the levels from Zoom Player and WMP. All the video here is HD, and in order to check standard definition (SD) video you would need another source (I use Digital Video Essentials or GetGray).
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Generally the idea is to use the same software that you would be using to watch video. For example I use Zoom Player for watching MP4 video, and the MP4 download can be used to check HD playback of MP4 video. I use PowerDVD as a secondary Blu-ray player, and either the HDMV or AVCHD can be used to check Blu-ray playback in PowerDVD.

Checking computer playback can be more difficult than checking playback from standalone players. In a standalone player you can generally assume that the manufacturer has been diligent enough to make sure that levels across different video types will match, but you cannot necessary make this assumption with computers. Different software (decoders) or video drivers do not always match in how they play back video. For example items I've ran into include some ATI video drivers playing back HD and SD video using different levels, and at least one version of PowerDVD didn't match the levels from Zoom Player and WMP. All the video here is HD, and in order to check standard definition (SD) video you would need another source (I use Digital Video Essentials or GetGray).

thanks, that help alot.

my htpc has an ATI Radeon 5670 card, with HDMI connection to AVR > Projector.

i primarily use Win7 Media Center for playback of my DVD and Blu-ray rips.

so, i guess i should do the calibration in Win7 MC? which file would I need to download?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i primarily use Win7 Media Center for playback of my DVD and Blu-ray rips.

so, i guess i should do the calibration in Win7 MC? which file would I need to download?

Windows 7 does not play Blu-ray by default, so I'll assume you're using some other program to play Blu-ray. I know PowerDVD or TotalMedia will show up in Windows Media Center, and the first post lists if those programs can play the HDMV or AVCHD downloads. If you're doing something like transcoding movies that brings up more variables, but generally the MP4 download is intended to calibrate for high definition AVC video in an MP4 container.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0 seems to format the HDMV correctly in testing, but other software may not.

Hmm.. I'm running VCD 5.4.3.2. Out of curiosity, I'll see if an upgrade fixes it and report back.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Oops, my problem all along was I had two copies of the ISO, one bad/one good. I extracted the good one and kept trying to mount the bad one. TMT 5.0.1.86 works fine with VCD and the HDMV ISO as well as extracted to a directory.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Windows 7 does not play Blu-ray by default, so I'll assume you're using some other program to play Blu-ray. I know PowerDVD or TotalMedia will show up in Windows Media Center, and the first post lists if those programs can play the HDMV or AVCHD downloads. If you're doing something like transcoding movies that brings up more variables, but generally the MP4 download is intended to calibrate for high definition AVC video in an MP4 container.

thanks, i transcode most rips to either AVI or MKV for easier playback save storage space.

i am thinking of using MPC-HC as primary player going foward. what file should i download to calibrate with MPC-HC?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HDMV version is a Blu-ray format. One option is that you could run the Basic Settings section from the HDMV through the process you usually use on Blu-rays. Another option would be to download the MP4 version.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatnode View Post

TMT 5.0.1.86 works fine with VCD and the HDMV ISO as well as extracted to a directory.

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected they might eventually fix playback, considering all the other versions besides 5.0.1.80 work with the authoring.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HDMV version is a Blu-ray format. One option is that you could run the Basic Settings section from the HDMV through the process you usually use on Blu-rays. Another option would be to download the MP4 version.

thanks, are there any advantage(s) to using the HDMV version instead of the MP4 version on an HTPC setup? or does it not matter?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only difference in the actual video is the container (m2ts or MP4), and the MP4 version is split into individual clips, rather than a series of patterns.

Like mentioned in the first reply, computers may exhibit certain problems that are difficult to anticipate, especially with programs that rely on various splitters and decoders (Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, etc). Ideally the calibration video should match (codec, container, HD or SD) with the video that you intend to watch. None of the video here uses AVI or MKV containers, so it may make sense to put the video through the same process that you're using for Blu-ray movies.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks,

i thought i saw someone here downloaded the blu-ray version and converted them to MKV. that i might save me some work. otherwise i will have to do the conversion.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM

How can I calibrate my 3 weeks old SAMSUNG PS50B550 TV for UPC Hungary HDTV set-top box (satellite) source?

My notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium op. system) has a HDMI connection, but I haven' t in my possession a Blue-ray or conventional DVD player.

Can you give me a hand with it?

a
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 AM

thanks for share
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-sas View Post

UPC Hungary HDTV set-top box (satellite) source?

My notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium op. system) has a HDMI connection

Unless the satellite has test patterns, the best you can often do is to calibrate the TV for a typical video source. Professional calibrators typically use pattern generators that provide this sort of reference output. The MP4 download should play with Windows Media Player, but by default it will be expanded to computer levels, and the video might also be changed in other ways depending on the computer's video drivers. With some computers it is possible to output standard video levels (16 black, and 235 reference white) over HDMI, but getting that output from a computer may be somewhat complex.

If you press "Print Screen" when playing the MP4 video and then "Paste" into an image editor (like Paint) you can sample the on-screen RGB values. For example by default the Black Clipping pattern will likely have RGB values for the "Reference Black" bar of 0 on a computer, rather than 16. Sometimes video driver settings or other changes will allow you to output 16-235 video levels (16 black, and 235 reference white) from a computer. My computer with ATI graphics will output standard video levels (16-235) using http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/compa...=article&id=12 and match with my other players over HDMI, but because getting a computer to output video levels heavily relies on the graphics drivers, it's generally beyond the scope of this project.

The following link may help with outputting video levels (16-235) from a computer:
http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/blog/...nt-levels.html

I believe the CalMAN HTPC Generator may get around some possible issues with outputting 16-235 levels from a computer, if you want to use those patterns:
http://www.spectracal.com/downloads.aspx
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Dear Alluringreality:

Many thanks you for your notes on calibration #2664 and the others.

You're very kind.

Yours faithfully

Eagle-sas
Hungary, Tokaj

a
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:

For example I use Zoom Player for watching MP4 video, and the MP4 download can be used to check HD playback of MP4 video.

Why do you use Zoom Player as opposed to WMP or WMC?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For some reason my i7 on Windows 7 locks up intermittently with MP4 video and Windows Media Player. After trying various reported solutions that didn't work, it was easier just to use Zoom Player. It's easy to change playback, and by blacklisting the Microsoft filters the lockups went away. Really the only unique thing about the player is that if you happen to run into a DVD with widescreen inside of 4:3 video, you can zoom in so that the widescreen will fill the screen.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 AM

I just tried burning the HDMV-2d version to a DVD+R, and it seemed to be fully working in my Samsung BD-C5900 Blu-Ray player (latest firmware 1009.1). Just in case anyone wants to know.

Thanks for the great work on this!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Liked: 14
Just burned a copy to a DVD-R and it worked fine on my Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player!
This is one of the best test disc I have used out of the three I own( Spears & Munsil, DVE, and WOW). Don't get me wrong all of those discs has it's own thing I like about them. But, overall AVS HD 709 is the best product!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Complete noob to calibration looking for some help.

What i have on hand:

Macbook pro with DVI to HDMI that I use to watch .MKV's
Playstation 3
Epson 8350

What is my best bet? I thought it would be downloading the MP4 version and just playing through VLC (media player i use for .MKV's) on the macbook pro and adjust accordingly. Wont the color profile of my macbook effect the image that is ouput?

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com