post #2761 of 3995 Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

There are some empty folders that appear in the Blu-ray (HDMV) download that are not on the current AVCHD version. I would probably just match whatever the default multiAVCHD output marked AVCHD includes. I'm not on my main computer and cannot say if multiAVCHD just includes the items under BDMV or also CERTIFICATE.

OK, here is the deal. DeanK provided a link to a camcorder AVCHD file. That played perfectly in the Samsung.

So, I added all of the directories that were missing, and now the AVSHD-709-2d AVCHD disc plays just fine. At least it loads to the main menu, as I haven't gone through the various menus, but I would expect them to work.

What I needed to add were (I think I got this right):

BDMV/AUXDATA
BDMV/BACKUP/BDJO
BDMV/JAR
CERTIFICATE/BACKUP

The complete layout on the camcorder is:

BDMV/AUXDATA
BDMV/BACKUP/BDJO
BDMV/BACKUP/CLIPINF
BDMV/BACKUP/PLAYLIST
BDMV/BDJO
BDMV/CLIPINF
BDMV/JAR
BDMV/PLAYLIST
BDMV/STREAM
CERTIFICATE/BACKUP

I forgot the BDMV/BDJO directory, but it worked without it. So the BDMV/BACKUP/BDJO probably isn't needed either. So that leaves one, or both, of these directories that keeps it from working:

BDMV/AUXDATA
CERTIFICATE/BACKUP

I could go back and start deleting directories, but I don't feel like wasting the DVDs.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 3995 Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yup. Actually you could set your video output to limited and start from there and it wouldn't hurt your games or other PC business at all, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily View Post

Thank you for your suggestions.

So if I'm using the HTPC for games, hulu (web-based), netflix (web-based), bluray, and SD & HD tv, then I should choose FULL, leave the PC display settings all unchecked (including dynamic contrast). Then go to the TV and make all the brightness/contrast adjustments from there.

I'll work with that. Thanks!

post #2763 of 3995 Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked: 10
The LG BH200 can play the AVCHD format as well if using the April 2008 or March 2010 (latest) firmware.
post #2764 of 3995 Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

So that leaves one, or both, of these directories that keeps it from working:

BDMV/AUXDATA
CERTIFICATE/BACKUP

There had been some previous discussions on doom9 that the auxdata folder determined playback on some players. I believe there may be examples of players that require the folder like this model, and I think there might also be models that will not play if the folder is present as noted in the prior reply. Since the current downloads include both options, I don't think there's a need to modify the files. At some point I'll add the prior information to the first post and try to clean up some discrepancies in the descriptions.
post #2765 of 3995 Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

The LG BH200 can play the AVCHD format

Thanks for the correction.
post #2766 of 3995 Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

On the BLu-ray players list- it indicates that Magnavox' should be able to download HDMV and DVDM. ( I do not have a blu-ray burner) And I can not locate the DVDM file in the thread.

However, I then read that someone was able to use BDMV on a regular disc and have it work.

But where is the link to download the BDMV file? I read someone say it was in the first post but... it's vanished (or I'm just blind).

I would really like to try this out- but I've wasted a few discs yesterday and today dl'ing various available versions with no luck.

And seeing as my discs are dvd-r-- I'm going through them rather quickly.

Please, let me know which version will work for my player as well as WHERE that file is located in the thread.

Thanks so so so much!!
post #2767 of 3995 Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snushi View Post

I can not locate the DVDM file in the thread.

DVDM indicates the HDMV version burned to DVD media with a DVD burner should play. HDMV is really a Blu-ray format, but some players can play the HDMV download from DVD media. DVDM just means to use the HDMV version with DVD media, rather than Blu-ray media.

Quote:

I've wasted a few discs yesterday and today dl'ing various available versions with no luck.

There is a specific procedure to burning a disc. See the "STEPS TO USE THE DOWNLOADS" or "EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS" instructions. Steps 2 though 4 describe how to select between the .exe or .7z downloads, how to decompress the download, and how to burn a disc. I recommend using the free ImgBurn for step 4, but other programs can burn from a disc image.

Quote:

I then read that someone was able to use BDMV on a regular disc and have it work.

There is a BDMV folder on the disc after the HDMV version is burned correctly. If you are on Vista, Windows 7, Mac, or Linux you should be able to look at the contents of the burned disc and see a BDMV folder, but Windows XP cannot read the discs because of the formatting.
post #2768 of 3995 Old 03-19-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Tom Huffman has announced the ChromaPure 2.1 Version.

In this version there is available a re-designed Type of Measurement @ Advanced Color Management which you can measure the Colour Amplitute 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% of Primary & Secondary Colours.
AVCHD has the 100% + 75% Colour Amplitute Patterns already, only 50% & 25% are not included.
It wil be great if you can add that 50% & 25% Colour Amplitute Patterns in a future release of AVSHD Disk. These Patterns are not included in any other calibration disk yet, are only available in ChromaPure Build-In Generator or External Signal Generator.

In ChromaPure 2.1 Version the Colour Amplitute Measurement is supported with Reports & Graphs. It's a demo showing this diagnostic feature there:
http://www.chromapure.com/demos-21acm.asp

Thank You In Advance For Your Support.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2769 of 3995 Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

100%, 75%, 50%, 25% of Primary & Secondary Colours.

This was previously addressed at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19587133 and shows up as a Known Issue listing. The only thing that has changed from the prior response is that I'm currently not considering moving onto a Blu-ray based project. If you consider the patterns worth the time involved, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16837914 generally documents how to create video similar to the downloads, and there are free tools available online for completing each step.
post #2770 of 3995 Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

DVDM indicates the HDMV version burned to DVD media with a DVD burner should play. HDMV is really a Blu-ray format, but some players can play the HDMV download from DVD media. DVDM just means to use the HDMV version with DVD media, rather than Blu-ray media.

There is a specific procedure to burning a disc. See the "STEPS TO USE THE DOWNLOADS" or "EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS" instructions. Steps 2 though 4 describe how to select between the .exe or .7z downloads, how to decompress the download, and how to burn a disc. I recommend using the free ImgBurn for step 4, but other programs can burn from a disc image.

There is a BDMV folder on the disc after the HDMV version is burned correctly. If you are on Vista, Windows 7, Mac, or Linux you should be able to look at the contents of the burned disc and see a BDMV folder, but Windows XP cannot read the discs because of the formatting.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me. I truly TRULY appreciate it. I am on Windows 7 so the .exe file is the one I will continue to use. I will also d/l Imgburn. I was using ORBIT but the file d/led incomplete. (it was a torrent one one the 3rd mirrored site)

I will work on this today. I had no idea the bdmv was a file within a file (if that makes sense) as I, admittedly, know very little about this stuff. (But I'm learning )

*Hugs*
post #2771 of 3995 Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 AM

I haven't read through this thread, just perused it, but I have a question that is probably answered somewhere.

I want to use this on an Oppo 93 via a Mac download. I've already downloaded the AVCHD.7Z version and would burn it to a DVD+R, except that I'd have to buy some. Can I download the HDMV (or use the AVCHD) version and put it on a stick and have the Oppo read it from there? Will the Oppo read this with all the menus? I've only had the Oppo for a week now and haven't explored all the different options on it, but from what I've read on the Oppo thread it is pretty flexible, but not every combination works. I'm planning on using the patterns with the colorHCFR software and an Eye-One Lt to calibrate a Panasonic 50GT25, where the green is bothering me.

And to think, until about a month ago I never gave TV any thought except to turn it on and watch my SD satellite channels...
post #2772 of 3995 Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I want to use this on an Oppo 93 via a Mac download. I've already downloaded the AVCHD.7Z version and would burn it to a DVD+R, except that I'd have to buy some. Can I download the HDMV (or use the AVCHD) version and put it on a stick and have the Oppo read it from there? Will the Oppo read this with all the menus?
Yes, that will work for the AVCHD version.

See the FAQs in my signature for more on the OPPO players.

-Bill
post #2773 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 AM

hey hi everyone im so noob on this .. this is for lcd calibration??? and there is no method to stream to ps3 for calibrate the lcd??
post #2774 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Hi! I have been using this monitor(Dell ST2320L) with my ps3, and i'm currently using this calibration tool.However when i am going through the black level test, even when it says to set the level as low as you can and that the bars 17-25 flash. However on my monitor, even though the brightness setting is on 100% or 0%, the bars still flash. Am i doing something wrong?
post #2775 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredpig View Post

I have been using this monitor(Dell ST2320L) with my ps3

I guess it's a computer monitor, so it probably expects computer levels. My understanding is that the PS3 can output RGB computer levels (full range or 0-255). http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...fullrange.html
post #2776 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Hi! I have been using this monitor(Dell ST2320L) with my ps3, and i'm currently using this calibration tool.However when i am going through the black level test, even when it says to set the level as low as you can and that the bars 17-25 flash. However on my monitor, even though the brightness setting is on 100% or 0%, the bars still flash. Am i doing something wrong?

brightness on PC monitors are typically backlight cotrols, so the rules for setting brightness actually don't apply.

Basically the monitor's brightness is correctly configured out of the box.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2777 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebas_ View Post

there is no method to stream to ps3 for calibrate the lcd??

The PS3 will play AVCHD from DVD media. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with PS3 capabilities.
post #2778 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Ah ok i get it now thank you for the clarification! And one more thing, my monitor currently has an option to use graphic or video mode. However on the white level test, when the monitor is set to graphic mode, when i reach 77% of the contrast setting bar 223-234 flashes, any higher and it stops. But if i use the video mode, no matter at what contrast, bars 223-234 still flash. Which mode should i use?
post #2779 of 3995 Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 PM

So I stumbled onto this thread today in search of a way to improve the picture on my Epson HC720 projector. I read through the entire "Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies" thread over at CurtPalme HT forum. I was getting all excited and about ready to purchase one of those Eye-One meters and downloaded the AVS HD 709 patterns from this thread. And then I was reading some more over at CurtPalme and the author of the "Dummies" thread, kal, says "Don't bother trying to do greyscale on a screen that isn't white." My screen wall is painted a neutral gray tint (N8.5) with Valspar Ultra Premium Interior Latex Flat Enamel Base 1 "Rock Candy". So, should I not bother finding greyscale and doing a colour calibration with my projector since my screen wall isn't white??
post #2780 of 3995 Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
arrabyla30 -- Gray is a shade of white. You can certainly calibrate the "grayscale" of your "screen".

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #2781 of 3995 Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrabyla30 View Post

So I stumbled onto this thread today in search of a way to improve the picture on my Epson HC720 projector. I read through the entire "Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies" thread over at CurtPalme HT forum. I was getting all excited and about ready to purchase one of those Eye-One meters and downloaded the AVS HD 709 patterns from this thread. And then I was reading some more over at CurtPalme and the author of the "Dummies" thread, kal, says "Don't bother trying to do greyscale on a screen that isn't white." My screen wall is painted a neutral gray tint (N8.5) with Valspar Ultra Premium Interior Latex Flat Enamel Base 1 "Rock Candy". So, should I not bother finding greyscale and doing a colour calibration with my projector since my screen wall isn't white??

I just bought an i1 myself, but my first use of it, to calibrate my iMac's screen, was not a great success. The iMatch software left it way too blue. I'm going to try it on my TV tonight, just to take a grey scale reading, and see if it reads even close. I'm not sure the i1 is very accurate out of the box, in which case it is useless.
post #2782 of 3995 Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which mode should i use?

I would probably look in the manual to see if there is any useful description. I'll assume the setting doesn't switch between video and computer levels, because otherwise it would have applied to your prior question. I'm really not sure what it does if it doesn't switch between input levels without more information. If I was running on no other information, I would probably look at the step patterns in the Misc Patterns Section A area of the disc to see if the control might happen to also affect those patterns. Without more information, my suggestion is just to follow the description from the White Clipping pattern in the PDF and your personal preference. If you go with the setting that can clip grayscale I would suggest going a few notches below where the gray bars start disappearing, or also check the color patterns from Misc Patterns Section A.
post #2783 of 3995 Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Hi there..

I haven't got a BD burner, and was wondering if I can PayPal out some money to any kind soul out there to burn me a copy of the HDMV AVS HD 709 disc on BluRay for my PS3?

Sorry if this is against the rules or policy for asking..
I'll pay first even.. since I'm trusting (or foolish..lol)
post #2784 of 3995 Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrodrummer View Post

Hi there..

I haven't got a BD burner, and was wondering if I can PayPal out some money to any kind soul out there to burn me a copy of the HDMV AVS HD 709 disc on BluRay for my PS3?

It fits on a DVD and that is what most people use. The AVCHD version is also supported on USB devices like a thumb drive on some players: I'm not sure about the PS3.

-Bill
post #2785 of 3995 Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrodrummer View Post

Hi there..

You changed the post when I quoted you. You don't need a blu-ray for the AVCHD version, and I don't think it is absolutely necessary for the HDMV version either. Whether it will play on a PS3 I can't tell you. I used the AVCHD version on a DVD-R and it works just fine on my Oppo.
post #2786 of 3995 Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The AVCHD version will play on the PS3 when burned to a DVD. The HDMV version on DVD (DVDM) will not.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #2787 of 3995 Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM

First of all, I want to say thank you, THANK YOU!!! for letting us download this for free.

I just downloaded it and have a little problem. One the 3rd chapter "White Clipping", in my TV there is no Flashing whatsoever, no matter if contrast is at 0 or at 100. The manual says maybe my player or another device is 'clipping' the signal. I'm completely clueless on electronics, so what does this mean? And how I can 'un-clip' those signals?

Thank you in advance!
post #2788 of 3995 Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicReggae View Post

The manual says maybe my player or another device is 'clipping' the signal. I'm completely clueless on electronics, so what does this mean?

There is an attempted definition in the back. Clip in the PDF is just used to mean cut off. Blu-ray allows for 254 shades of gray, and generally you want to be able to display all the shades of gray from 16 through 235. If a device clips then part of the video range (1 through 254) will not be displayed. The idea is just that part of the information is lost or has been removed by some part the electronics you are using.

Quote:

And how I can 'un-clip' those signals?

It's hard to say, because each device (player, receiver, TV, etc.) could cause an issue. If you can narrow an issue down to one device then it's easier to make guesses on how you might resolve the problem. For example if you are using a receiver you can eliminate it during troubleshooting if you hook the player directly to the TV. Computers commonly alter the video signal, and not all TVs support full-range inputs, so seeing what happens by trying another video player might be useful for some situations. Likewise if you think the TV might be the cause you could see what happens if the player is connected to a different TV. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that if you don't have any other information to go on, a very simple method of troubleshooting is to try swapping out electronics to see if you can find the source of the problem by trial and error. Really you need to try to hunt down where the clipping is coming from in order to answer this question.
post #2789 of 3995 Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicReggae View Post

First of all, I want to say thank you, THANK YOU!!! for letting us download this for free.

I just downloaded it and have a little problem. One the 3rd chapter "White Clipping", in my TV there is no Flashing whatsoever, no matter if contrast is at 0 or at 100. The manual says maybe my player or another device is 'clipping' the signal. I'm completely clueless on electronics, so what does this mean? And how I can 'un-clip' those signals?

Thank you in advance!

If your display is a Samsung, having the color control set too high can cause clipping. I've seen a couple of them where changing contrast has no effect but lowering the color (chroma gain) fixes the problem.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #2790 of 3995 Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also, if it's a PS3, make sure that Super-White is turned on.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version