I'm trying to calibrate LG 50PK550 with Eye One Display 2 colorimeter using AVS HD 709 patterns.
I'm little confused with Limited RGB vs Full RGB settings.
My setup is: LG 50PK550 plasma connected to HTPC (AMD Fusion E-350 (integrated Radeon 6310)) through Marantz SR5004 receiver (all connected with HDMI).
I can setup black levels on:
1. LG - Low black (16-235), High black (0-255)
2. AMD driver (Full RGB (0-255), Limited RGB(16-235), YCbCr 4:4:4)
3. Renderer (madVR, WMC7, EVR CP...)
4. Receiver (I choose "HDMI through", cannot choose black levels, just hope that it doesn't mess signal)
So, alot of places where something can go wrong
First I tried between Low and High black on LG Plasma. When i choose High, blacks on cable set top box look grey (also connected through receiver). I don't want to change picture mode everytime when i switch between TV and set top box, so I kept setting at Low.
What I thought is when you choose Limited RGB that you can't see flashing bars below 16 on AVS HD 709 patterns, no matter how much you crank up brightness (but I was obviously wrong).
So I played a bit with different settings, the results are:
Black level on tv was always on Low black (16-235)
, brightness at constant level (46), MP4 pattern Black clippinga) ATI driver - Limited RGB or YCbCr
1. MPC-HC EVR CP (16-235) - bars 17-25 flashing
2. MPC HC EVR CP (0-255) - no bars flashing
3. WMP 12 - no bars flashing
4. WMC 7 - bars 17-25 flashing
5. TotalMedia Theatre 5 - no bars flashing
6. PowerDVD - no bars flashing
7. MPC-HC madVR(16-235) - bars 17-25 flashing
8. MPC-HC madVR(0-255) - no bars flashing
If I crank up brightness, then i can see bars 2-25 flashing.b) ATI driver - FULL RGB
no bars flashing in any setup (if I crank up brightness, I can see bars 17-25 flashing)
So, I Think that WMP, TMT and PowerDVD use 0-255 black range (couldn't find settings where you can change this), and WMC7 uses 16-235 range.
So, I'm little confused, shouldn't Limited RGB clip values below 16 black
. Or there is some kind of expansion?
What is the "proper" way to connect everything?
99% of time I play 1080P MKV's through WMC7 or MPC-HC EVR-CP.
I think that proper settings are:
1. Limited RGB on TV
2. Limited RGB in ATI driver
3. Limited RGB in renderer
but correct me if I'm wrong (I can also set everything to Full RGB, but then blacks are grey on my set top box).
And if I understood this correctly, my pictures won't be accurately displayed with Limited RGB setting (because they need PC levels).
If someone can clear this mess up for me, I would be very thankful.